Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Calaveron posted:

What was the mythos for 8. For some reason I remember a god or sorcerer with a really goofy name

hyne the sorcerer gave his skin to the first witch and she gained the power of real magic

(i think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

actually if you read the Datalog you'll find that

...no, gently caress that guy, even then it's not obvious that it's Etro's Gate behind the final boss

Uh, well, it is explicitly mentioned in 2 datalogs that matches up perfectly with the words of the final bosses. If you are reading the extra datalogs already, then it's not exactly hidden. They never call it "Etro's gate" as a direct term but it clearly indicates Bart's plan.

Plus, it's not like you really need to know the mechanical workings of Etro's Gate for that ending; all you need to know is that they played right into Orphan's plan which was told to you a bunch of times already. What's more important (and confusing) is Etro directly interfering with the l'Cie by reverting them magically when they transformed. That's where important things start happening with literally no explanation. That poo poo isn't explained till 13-2.

edit: I mean, looking at those logs I guess they were trying to hint at something like, "Well the Goddess interfered last time to stop ragnarok and help doomed l'Cie, maybe she'll do it again?". But that's a complex thing that was barely mentioned in the plot and should've been a lot more obvious.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 6, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...I can't tell, who did the trap just get sprung on?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Azure Horizon's alt account status: FOUND.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

hyne the sorcerer gave his skin to the first witch and she gained the power of real magic

(i think)

He doesnt give it, its torn off of him in bloody revolt for killing humans who he doesnt see as alive.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...I can't tell, who did the trap just get sprung on?

I'm the FF13 apologist here so I assume it's always on me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Even if 13 had a good story it would still be boring and suck hth

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Even if 13 had a good story it would still be boring and suck hth

I bitched about it because I bounced off of it really hard the first time I tried it, but once you get to the point where you're rocking a full party the combat is actually pretty fun. Everything else about it is okay at best though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Sazh is pretty good when he gets some room to breathe as a character. Wasted potential there.

(also his scenes with the jumbo cactuar are funny but I mean him as a serious human being)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I like the scene where Snow randomly saves a racer dude, gets cheers from a crowd and is all pumped like "Yeah I'm a hero!" but shows off his brand so it then freaks out the crowd, and he's just like "Oops". FF13 has it's funny moments.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Azure Horizon's alt account status: FOUND.

Congratulations, you're officially not the worst poster in the thread. How does it feel being around... FF Dimensions-level?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FF13 is a good game with some glaring flaws.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We can forgive FF13 of its sins for making Lightning Returns possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I like FF13 way more than Lightning Returns.

Like unbelievably more.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

i loved lightning returns for what it did with lightning, but the actual combat just isnt something im good at :sweatdrop:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

13 has an pretty cool story thats never actually mentioned in the game

which im fine with tbh, i only care about 13 for it's combat

I only did the Cie'th Stones on my second run of XIII which was after I played XIII-2. I was actually astounded Yeul was a character tat existed in XIII and wasn't just directly pulled out of the writer's rear end for the sequel. Still pretty sure everything else was made up on the fly.

And I love XIII-2 for it. The Chrono Cross of Final Fantasy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

He doesnt give it, its torn off of him in bloody revolt for killing humans who he doesnt see as alive.

right i figured it was that but then i was like "nah only matsuno is classically gothic enough to write that" so hey

idk if they toned down the minutiae he puts in his systems, i think i'd probably dig another character-focused matsuno game.

e: a middle fantasy renaissance era agent in a shirtless trenchcoat (designed by yoshida) trying to stop a plot against the common public. do like an SE/ubisoft crossover project where they provide the coat physics and parkour mechanics and mocap

i loved lightning returns for what it did with lightning, but the actual combat just isnt something im good at :sweatdrop:

same, i'm unbelievably bad at the fights but it's fun anyway. i just have to overgrind and turn the difficulty way down.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 7, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Calaveron posted:

What was the mythos for 8. For some reason I remember a god or sorcerer with a really goofy name

Hyne was a god that created people (this is probably an analogy, maybe he just gave people fire or knowledge). After sleeping for a really long time he didn't like that the people had multiplied so much, so he burned the smaller people (children). Eventually, the people managed to fight him into a corner, so he tricked them by giving them half his body (probably another analogy, he gave them knowledge or magic) but he then ran off with the majority of his power intact.

Sorceresses were really cool in that game because it was only implied just how big their power level was a few times. I don't think they ever could really die in the normal sense until they found someone else to pass their powers onto (at the time of death). I think it's heavily implied a few times that they could manipulate most people into doing what they want. When Edea melts the Galbadian president in front of all the crowds and gives a speech about their doom (they just keep partying), when Rinoa inherits Edea's powers (Squall turns from being level-headed and reserved to doing the most irresponsible poo poo ever before Esthar and in space, just for her benefit), when Seifer goes from being an alpha jerk to being dick-slapped by Ultimecia for most of the game, when Cid turns an orphanage full of kids to a camp for child soldiers as soon as Edea inherits those powers at the end.

The orphanage thing was a little weird, but when you consider that Irvine was the only one not using GF's until recently, I figured he just recognised Edea as the matron and hesitated because of that. Maybe he was super confused why no-one else seemed to notice or maybe it was just on the subconscious level.

This was my favourite scene in the game because Fujin figures out that Seifers' not acting by his own free will and tries to spell it out.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vtcqkp.webm

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Hyne was a god that created people (this is probably an analogy, maybe he just gave people fire or knowledge). After sleeping for a really long time he didn't like that the people had multiplied so much, so he burned the smaller people (children). Eventually, the people managed to fight him into a corner, so he tricked them by giving them half his body (probably another analogy, he gave them knowledge or magic) but he then ran off with the majority of his power intact.

Sorceresses were really cool in that game because it was only implied just how big their power level was a few times. I don't think they ever could really die in the normal sense until they found someone else to pass their powers onto (at the time of death). I think it's heavily implied a few times that they could manipulate most people into doing what they want. When Edea melts the Galbadian president in front of all the crowds and gives a speech about their doom (they just keep partying), when Rinoa inherits Edea's powers (Squall turns from being level-headed and reserved to doing the most irresponsible poo poo ever before Esthar and in space, just for her benefit), when Seifer goes from being an alpha jerk to being dick-slapped by Ultimecia for most of the game, when Cid turns an orphanage full of kids to a camp for child soldiers as soon as Edea inherits those powers at the end.

The orphanage thing was a little weird, but when you consider that Irvine was the only one not using GF's until recently, I figured he just recognised Edea as the matron and hesitated because of that. Maybe he was super confused why no-one else seemed to notice or maybe it was just on the subconscious level.

This was my favourite scene in the game because Fujin figures out that Seifers' not acting by his own free will and tries to spell it out.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vtcqkp.webm

Link doesn't seem to work, but did you mean to link the scene after you fight Fujin and Raijin for the second time?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Morby posted:

Link doesn't seem to work, but did you mean to link the scene after you fight Fujin and Raijin for the second time?

Maybe, this bit I think;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB8PWxhAHj8

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Even though I don't like the combat in LR as much as 13-1, I still found LR's combat okay enough. And with everything else was being pretty much better than 13-1's half-assed execution, it's kind of hard not to appreciate it as the best of the trilogy imo.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

That was exactly the scene I figured you were referencing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So how many people going tnto Zodiac Age only ever played the original and how many played IZJS?

I only played vanilla so I am super hyped to have a whole new g experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only ever played the original and never got very far before getting bored

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I never played 12 at all and I'm really hype to finally do so :)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

So how many people going tnto Zodiac Age only ever played the original and how many played IZJS?

I played both, and IZJS was vastly superior. Sadly, I don't think I'll have time to play Zodiac Age, as it seems like they made even more tweaks and changes.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Only know the original. I didn't like FF12 at launch, but over the years I just feel like it has cool ideas but was just too slow. Hopefully the talk of the fastfoward button helps, and the rebalancing has me interested.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
New and vanilla people don't understand HOW mandatory the new fast forward options are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJKlFpHo6_w

And fast forward is a universal thing, not just for battles.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

New and vanilla people don't understand HOW mandatory the new fast forward options are

Yeah, that's easily the best new feature among some admittedly great new features.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

As someone who has played the International version, that just looks like the International version's fast forward. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but somebody in this thread said they were improving it by making it go even faster. I'm drawing from memory here instead of recent experience, but that looks the be the same speed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a 4x option now

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

NikkolasKing posted:

The IZJS was made by a skeleton crew but the tweaks they made (turbo speed, job system, etc,) address a lot of the issues people had with the original's gameplay.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I assume that none of the previews want to show the 4x speed up feature because it probably makes the game look ridiculous

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly hearing the game is improved by adding an even faster fastforward sounds kind of damning to me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
On the contrary, it should be a mandatory feature in all RPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Honestly hearing the game is improved by adding an even faster fastforward sounds kind of damning to me.

Bravely Default did the same thing to be fair.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What games in general wouldn't benefit from being 4x faster?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

What games in general wouldn't benefit from being 4x faster?

F-Zero GX

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Default did the same thing to be fair.
Did it? I never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"quality of life changes on a decade year old game? What a terrible decision."