Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just to clear any confusion, this is from state loving tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How many people will get disappeared because of it?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

How many people did the Polish government bus into Warsaw to greet Trormp?

50 per MP who wanted to keep their job plus a bunch more through papers friendly to them, I hear.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

How many people will get disappeared because of it?

Nobody, probably. This kind of "ancient grandpas and zero budget" embarrassing trash is a very PiS thing to introduce to the public tv. Perhaps the most ridiculed example was the Studio Yayo "comedy" show, but you really need to understand the language to know how extremely bad it was.

Besides, this particular grandpa is, well, not at his first rodeo.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 6, 2017

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Just to clear any confusion, this is from state loving tv.

I love good comedy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

jonnypeh posted:

I think this has more to do with commies, because before the war 80% of Estonians were Lutheran, plus Orthodox. Unless you know something that I don't. Estonia's own churches of both denominations were created in 1917, 1920 and 1923 (Orthodox has two - one under Moscow, other one under Constantinople - long story).

Most of EE went back to full Christianity the moment Communism went away, and all of them had spent either about the same time under it or more. There's a reason for the outliers, and I think the race relations angle fits the bill. I don't know what you know, but apart from connecting it to the religious situation today, that's what I got taught on the one course on Estonian history I took at university. Compare that to the Russians and Orthodoxy, which the Tatars (and a bunch of others) literally called the Russian church back in the day.

I think you should also consider that Estonia has had freedom of religion since 1920, and while I admittedly am not familiar with the Päts years, I don't imagine they made quitting the church all that easy with the whole national church project. Besides, church membership rates are essentially worthless even today. Look at them and you might think Finland is a deeply religious country.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
What does he say at 0:46 and 0:52

Also does he call himself Trendy Andy or am I getting that wrong

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Fabulous Knight posted:

What does he say at 0:46 and 0:52

Also does he call himself Trendy Andy or am I getting that wrong

"They say he's the hero of Robert DeNiro. Mr President, they say you're the hero of Robert DeNiro."

also yeah, I think he says "I'm Trendy Andy" hahahah

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

"They say he's the hero of Robert DeNiro. Mr President, they say you're the hero of Robert DeNiro."

also yeah, I think he says "I'm Trendy Andy" hahahah

I mean I thought it sounded more like DeNiro than anything but I just couldn't believe that was actually it. The more you know.

Surely with this video Poland has secured its place on the Western side of Molotov-Ribbentrop 2.0.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Only by ultimately alienating ourselves from the rest of Europe have we secured the song to win Eurovision with. What a conundrum.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

Nobody, probably. This kind of "ancient grandpas and zero budget" embarrassing trash is a very PiS thing to introduce to the public tv. Perhaps the most ridiculed example was the Studio Yayo "comedy" show, but you really need to understand the language to know how extremely bad it was.

Besides, this particular grandpa is, well, not at his first rodeo.

Counterpoint: Studio Yayo is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeMvnUDluc

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
In the Balkans atm: Croatia doesn't want to recognize the final verdict for the borders between Slovenia and Croatia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia–Slovenia_border_disputes posted:

On 29 June 2017, the Permanent Court of Arbitration ruled that Slovenia should have direct access to international waters in the north Adriatic Sea using a corridor crossing Croatian waters. It also ruled on several other disputed border areas. The ruling was hailed by Slovenia but Croatia said it would not implement it.

The EU commission however says to Croatia to get along and deal with it https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/eu-urges-croatia-to-implement-piran-bay-ruling/, but their government is being a PITA and doesn't want to enforce the ruling.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TearsOfPirates posted:

In the Balkans atm: Croatia doesn't want to recognize the final verdict for the borders between Slovenia and Croatia:

The EU commission however says to Croatia to get along and deal with it https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/eu-urges-croatia-to-implement-piran-bay-ruling/, but their government is being a PITA and doesn't want to enforce the ruling.

Our government are being massive cunts about this. It's a small stretch of water, no one gives a poo poo except for nationalists. How's slovenian public reacting to land border ruling? Joško Joras lost his poo poo, at least that what our media reported.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Gervasius posted:

Our government are being massive cunts about this. It's a small stretch of water, no one gives a poo poo except for nationalists. How's slovenian public reacting to land border ruling? Joško Joras lost his poo poo, at least that what our media reported.

Honestly, the PM said that it was as good as we can achieve, while the opposition said that we should've gotten more. Personally, I think we got off pretty well.

We are currently having more issue with the 2nd railroad, but that's another issue to write (plus I'm on the phone atm. Might post a huge breakdown about it tomorrow if anyone would be interested).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

TearsOfPirates posted:

Might post a huge breakdown about it tomorrow if anyone would be interested.

I'm interested.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
might post a huge meltdown about it tomorrow if anyone would be interested

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Kurtofan posted:

might post a huge meltdown about it tomorrow if anyone would be interested

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm interested.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
^^
ditto

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

TearsOfPirates posted:

Honestly, the PM said that it was as good as we can achieve, while the opposition said that we should've gotten more. Personally, I think we got off pretty well.
Better solve the border dispute before some more :ancap: show up claiming Terra Nullis.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Please take Trump back the visit it's doing weird things to people. Oh god is it the chemtrails?

(The guy is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Cejrowski, a celebrity travel journalist and right-wing fuckwad, basically he's what would happen if you suddenly replaced David Attenborough or Colin Thubron with Jeremy Clarkson)

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 6, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sorry folks thought this was cspam

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pizdec posted:

Please take Trump back the visit it's doing weird things to people. Oh god is it the chemtrails?

(The guy is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Cejrowski, a celebrity travel journalist and right-wing fuckwad, basically he's what would happen if you suddenly replaced David Attenborough or Colin Thubron with Jeremy Clarkson)

trump

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pizdec posted:

I knew the sock trend would turn against libs...

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pizdec posted:

That's very unkind to Clarkson who may be a boorish toff, but he's not a fascist religious psychopath who thinks gays should be imprisoned or executed like Cejrowski.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Funny seeing Putin paraphernalia at the Budapest Saturday flea market. I wonder if modern Hungarian would have just tankied themselves.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i'm spending a week in hungary and croatia and after my time in budapest and especially the "poor us :(" act they do over the communist era WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY JACKING OFF PUTIN the fuckers had it coming

morons would be fine with russian occupation as long as the russians are racist

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm interested.
The short version is, we have this cargo port, it's a pretty popular one and it's been growing steadily since it's been opened in like 1960 or somesuch.

The railroad linking the port town to the railway network is literally a hastily put down single track though, made in the mid 60s for the needs of the port (and sponsored in big part by the local population). Last couple years, utilization has climbed to something like 90%, it's obvious we need more better yesterday.

So, some 10 years ago, the then ruling SDS picked a route and plan for the new railway to the port town. Lots of tunnels, some big bridges, high tech rail for fast trains, the works. Except now, those same people are trying to sabotage it now, because supposedly the route (that they picked) is far too expensive and bad by calling for a referendumb about it to delay it further. There's also a nice deadline for getting some EU cash for the railway right about now, which would make it much more affordable for us, and the construction permits are going to start expiring soon-ish if the construction doesn't start and then it's likely back to nimby hell for another 10 years.

The thing is, the whole project would cost only about 1b euros, and cost us some 300mil in EU funds less, which is pocket change over the 10 year period this has been dragging on now. Supposedly, this is ripping the taxpayers off, and we should totally delay/cancel the railway the region (arguably even the country) can't afford to not have to develop further, so we can save the poor taxpayers some change.

Because the wrong people are in power at the moment and if I can't have construction sector kickbacks, nobody can dammit :arghfist:

e: Oh yeah, the highways are filled with increasing amounts of cargo trucks too, and it's going to get far far worse in the next 5 or so years.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 8, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

i'm spending a week in hungary and croatia and after my time in budapest and especially the "poor us :(" act they do over the communist era WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY JACKING OFF PUTIN the fuckers had it coming

morons would be fine with russian occupation as long as the russians are racist

Soviets were pretty racist. They're fine with a Russian occupation as long as it's not happening to them is what I think.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

the Magyars know what's up, why make two (four?) separate protest signs when one will do. (it seems it was machine translated but you can understand it just fine) the literal collaborationism-apologia monument is still there

слава советским героям on the same square

still on the same square, d&d's prob second favorite US president, good ole Ronnie

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
or as my lil bro succinctly put it "hungary did nothing wrong, heil soviets, heil raygun"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

were you on the communist tour two days ago as well, lmao

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
oh I've been before and had the delight of discovering this poo poo unguided, it was a pretty wild rollercoaster of a feeling as I crossed the square and slowly connected the dots. I just didn't have a smartphone with a halfway decent camera to record the joke then : )

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I don't do communism/WW2 tours or "The House of Terror" type stuff because I'm not particularly interested in paying for the experience of being propagandaed at

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Tbh the protest at the monument to nazism warmed my heart, not all Hungarians deserve Orbán's special hell! I got dragged on the tour by my family so I had to bite my tongue when the guide both-sides'd the pwecious wittle hungarians :(:(:( statue.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 8, 2017

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Truga posted:

The short version is, we have this cargo port, it's a pretty popular one and it's been growing steadily since it's been opened in like 1960 or somesuch.

The railroad linking the port town to the railway network is literally a hastily put down single track though, made in the mid 60s for the needs of the port (and sponsored in big part by the local population). Last couple years, utilization has climbed to something like 90%, it's obvious we need more better yesterday.

So, some 10 years ago, the then ruling SDS picked a route and plan for the new railway to the port town. Lots of tunnels, some big bridges, high tech rail for fast trains, the works. Except now, those same people are trying to sabotage it now, because supposedly the route (that they picked) is far too expensive and bad by calling for a referendumb about it to delay it further. There's also a nice deadline for getting some EU cash for the railway right about now, which would make it much more affordable for us, and the construction permits are going to start expiring soon-ish if the construction doesn't start and then it's likely back to nimby hell for another 10 years.

The thing is, the whole project would cost only about 1b euros, and cost us some 300mil in EU funds less, which is pocket change over the 10 year period this has been dragging on now. Supposedly, this is ripping the taxpayers off, and we should totally delay/cancel the railway the region (arguably even the country) can't afford to not have to develop further, so we can save the poor taxpayers some change.

Because the wrong people are in power at the moment and if I can't have construction sector kickbacks, nobody can dammit :arghfist:

e: Oh yeah, the highways are filled with increasing amounts of cargo trucks too, and it's going to get far far worse in the next 5 or so years.

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: This couldn't have been put better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://www.novayagazeta.ru/articles/2017/07/09/73065-eto-byla-kazn-v-noch-na-26-yanvarya-v-groznom-rasstrelyany-desyatki-lyudey

Novaya Gazeta is reporting on extrajudicial executions in Chechnya, with 27 cases confirmed and and 29 more suspected.
This is a follow up on their reporting on torture and killings of gay men there, the investigation of which stalled after a
prosecutor that was actually trying to do his job got swapped out.

(Some of those named here might have actually committed actual serious crimes, though of course they did not face any trial, and Russia
isn't supposed to have capital punishment).