Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That pattern on it is amazing! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

viperkeeper is a great yt channel btw, its like extreme ASMR

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Christ, that Gabon video is terrifying to me. I love snakes, but those bastards have 1" fangs, and sometimes a chill snake will decide to bite you for no reason.

Fake edit: Googled and they are the heaviest vipers, have the most venom yield of any snake and can have up to 2 inch fangs. No thanks!

On a walk the other night, saw some Western painters laying eggs and a pretty much newborn baby deer. So cute! Wish I could have got the mom's head but eh.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I went with a buddy today to North Central Arkansas (around Clinton), in the Ozarks. His dad's land has some caves up at the top of a ridge, which unfortunately didn't have very many interesting critters in it -- tons of cave crickets of all sizes, but I didn't take pictures of them. I found a few other things, though.

A cave snail! Or, at least, a snail in a cave. I think this is the first snail I've ever seen in the wild. Plenty of slugs, but no snails.

None of the caves are very deep, but this fellow was on the edge of a narrow opening between the outer chamber and inner chamber of this one. We were very careful not to disturb it.

I almost grabbed this tree for support as we walked uphill to the top of the ridge, but I noticed something weird.

That's some great camouflage there, spider.

These blue dragonflies were everywhere in between the rain. There were even two trying to mate, but they wouldn't stay still long enough for a picture.

I have no idea how I got such good pictures of this with my phone.

Oh yeah, there were a few of these running around too:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is that a brown widow?

Hi kitties. :kimchi:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here's some recent stuff

Blue Herons (great again)

hanging with an egret

Limpkin

Red-winged blackbird

Tri-colored heron

Anhinga

Some sorta carpenter bee

Some sorta wasp

Some queen butterflies

Gar

Gators

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

El Burbo posted:

Some sorta carpenter bee

This is a leafcutter bee (Family Megachilidae). You can tell because the scopa, the structure for carrying pollen, is on the underside of her abdomen. All other bee families have scopae on their hind legs.

Edit: :eng101: I think this is actually Megachile xylocopoides which, funnily enough, is a carpenter bee mimic! http://bugguide.net/node/view/23995

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 5, 2017

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What is this? Legs included, it's between the size of a nickel & a quarter. Was inside a tangled-looking web, tending a large white egg sac. Location: Texas panhandle.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That's a female black widow, Latrodectus mactans.

bij fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 5, 2017

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Mmm. It built its web between my golf bag and the wall of my garage. I walked right into the web when I reached for my bag this morning, freaked & saw the spider scrambling up the web towards the wall. It is now dead, but I haven't yet decided to sell the house. Spiders are my one phobia.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

This is a leafcutter bee (Family Megachilidae). You can tell because the scopa, the structure for carrying pollen, is on the underside of her abdomen. All other bee families have scopae on their hind legs.

Edit: :eng101: I think this is actually Megachile xylocopoides which, funnily enough, is a carpenter bee mimic! http://bugguide.net/node/view/23995

My goodness this gets complicated!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Guess you can't trust anybee these days

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Lincoln posted:

Spiders are my one phobia.

At least the black widow is a spider you can legitimately worry about. I'm good with most spiders in the house, but black widows and brown recluses get the death penalty.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
This tobacco hornworm squished real good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please don't share that you killed the thing you just took a picture of.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tobacco hornworms are pests to tomato plants, which that particular one seems to be sitting on.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Wasn't intentional, I was pulling it off the tomato vine and I guess I squeezed too hard and it burst. Got green goo on my fingers.

2 to 3 Cats
Dec 17, 2009

Yay critterquest thread!
Saw this beauty of a postcard in the Victoria Bug Zoo. Can't wait to get out and bug some bugs :3:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

What's this?

It was on a lemon tree, if that helps.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a hole-y ghost posted:

What's this?

It was on a lemon tree, if that helps.

It's a katydid. Apparently they're bad for the tree
https://www.klru.org/ctg/resource/citrus-damage/

E:or they eat leaves and it doesn't matter that much. Idk.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Thats a great pic btw. The tiny patterns on the bug look really cool. Some of the markings on it's shoulder kinda look like Sanskrit ॐ

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

theres a will theres moe posted:

It's a katydid. Apparently they're bad for the tree
https://www.klru.org/ctg/resource/citrus-damage/

E:or they eat leaves and it doesn't matter that much. Idk.

The only bug I've ever picked up with my bare hand. :3:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Like, bad-bad? Do I have to remove it or can I just leave it

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I'm glad I found this thread, I loved the previous incarnations! I finally got a fancy camera and am starting to take some photos with it, I need to get some uploaded to share!

MrYenko posted:

Burrowing owls, watching the sunset.

A (very) slightly better picture.

I'm jealous! I'd love to have some in my backyard. I assume you're in Florida?

MrYenko posted:

Backyard picture dump:

That's a baby ladybug! I just bought a box of ladybugs to deal with some aphids and there were quite a few of them on my plants.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a hole-y ghost posted:

Like, bad-bad? Do I have to remove it or can I just leave it

It looks like theyre acknowledged to damage plants a bit but people generally leave them alone because they're cool.

They're one of the bugs that makes pleasant nighttime bug noises.
https://youtu.be/podi4xWnep4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Burbo posted:

Here's some recent stuff

Blue Herons (great again)

hanging with an egret

Limpkin

Red-winged blackbird

Tri-colored heron

Anhinga

Some sorta carpenter bee

Some sorta wasp

Some queen butterflies

Gar

Gators

Is this Florida?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Is this Florida?

Yep, swampy sweltering south florida

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Here are some random pictures I've taken recently (Florida):

Baby blue-tailed skink (I think)

Barred owl

The world's dopiest turtle, the Florida softshell turtle

Green anole

Juvenile red-bellied woodpeckers in my front yard

Northern parula

Prothonotary warbler

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Garter snake and milk snake - living in sin?!?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my project car came with some bonuses

at least they're a happy couple~

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mozi posted:

Garter snake and milk snake - living in sin?!?

Living in bin.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This little dude has been flying around in my garden the last few days. Sometimes he sits with his wings in and sometimes they're out to the side, and then he pokes the flowers with his butt.

(finger for scale)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lincoln posted:

Living in bin.

Ah, but of course.

They've been hanging out there for a couple weeks on and off. I suspect that there used to be a bunch of mice in there.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I made new bug friends today and the s8 takes great bug photos it turns out

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last week, I discovered this mud-dauber trying to get into my office.
This mud-dauber is building nests in my office window by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
She was very active and did manage to get inside at one point (I was able to capture her in a coffee cup and take her outside) so I didn't take off the screen to get pictures.

Yesterday she wasn't around so I popped out the screen and had a closer look.
She's been building nests in the window frame.
This mud-dauber is building nests in my office window by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

If the window is closed, the nests will be crushed. This morning, the window was partly closed. I re-opened it as far as it goes and I don't *think* the nests are damaged. I'm the only person in this office normally, my office-mate is away almost all of the time. But the cleaning staff come in here to clear the garbage can and sweep a bit, I guess one of them must have partly-closed the window last night.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Burbo posted:

Yep, swampy sweltering south florida

North Central Florida is also swampy and sweltering currently.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Randaconda posted:

North Central Florida is also swampy and sweltering currently.

it's here in virginia also

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ExecuDork posted:

Last week, I discovered this mud-dauber trying to get into my office.
She was very active and did manage to get inside at one point (I was able to capture her in a coffee cup and take her outside) so I didn't take off the screen to get pictures.

Yesterday she wasn't around so I popped out the screen and had a closer look.
She's been building nests in the window frame.

If the window is closed, the nests will be crushed. This morning, the window was partly closed. I re-opened it as far as it goes and I don't *think* the nests are damaged. I'm the only person in this office normally, my office-mate is away almost all of the time. But the cleaning staff come in here to clear the garbage can and sweep a bit, I guess one of them must have partly-closed the window last night.
If it's still there, your best bet would be to scrape it off and throw it out onto the ground below. So long as the nest is destroyed, there's a good chance the wasp will go find another location to build a nest and not risk getting killed in the window frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

invading the gently caress out of this toad's personal space

lookit that rad deadleaf camo pattern