Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

BossTweed posted:

I played my first ever squad game and first ever game with goons tonight and died immediately before I could find any ammo for the pistol I picked up.

Wow look at this baby gamer can't handle a challenge go back to mario kid!

Also my new rig is here so we can play together friend :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't weapons always spawn with ammo?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Yodzilla posted:

Help I have no idea hot the 2X scope works :saddowns: https://streamable.com/ngwiq

Bullets don't go through water. This is a feature.

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Don't weapons always spawn with ammo?

yes but i think the ammo box(es) sometimes get jammed into the house geometry and you can't pick them up.

Digital Jedi posted:

Got my first ever chicken dinner in my first ever squad game that was my first ever time playing with goons.

Guess I should stop now.

we had high expectations for that game and boy did it deliver. no wacky stuff, just good callouts and distance kills

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

KyloWinter posted:

Kinda makes sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uaLWAZXfk

tl;dw: high velocity modern rounds lose all of their energy very quickly when hitting water.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
for realism, grenades should also be insanely deadly over a huge radius underwater, but that's not in the game (yet?)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This game is weird. It's janky and broken in so many ways, and yet it's one of the few games I have in which I can alt-tab with impunity and not deal with crashing or several other stupid errors.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

KyloWinter posted:

Well, about that. I was in a duo earlier where we were crossing the river east of Georgopol, and once we hit the other side we saw a boat come peeling on by us. I unloaded on it with my M416 and knocked the driver, the other guy jumped out and res'd his teammate underwater (you can do that?) and then they swam to the opposite shore. I dropped the first guy out of the water which made his teammate jump back in the river. I finished off the guy on land and then went into water to force the guy out while my teammate covered me. He walked up halfway on the shore, pulled out his AKM and shot and killed me while I was swimming deep underwater still a fair distance away at full health and almost full lungs.
This doesn't make any sense.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

If you crouch and hug the water line close enough you can get "underwater" without needing to swim. This is hard to do but it allows you to move normally and shoot at people underwater, I first saw a clip of someone doing it on a stream.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
that's appropriate.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Odobenidae posted:

If you crouch and hug the water line close enough you can get "underwater" without needing to swim. This is hard to do but it allows you to move normally and shoot at people underwater, I first saw a clip of someone doing it on a stream.

You can also shoot from a vehicle normally, while under water.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I worked for 13 hours today so now that i'm home i'm going to play 13 hours of PUBG

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

someone posted a useful interactive map to put up on your second monitor that accomplishes this

http://planepath.net/

the guy who made it is a goon, i think he posted it earlier in the thread

edit: oh i was beaten by like a page, jesus

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
This game owns

https://giant.gfycat.com/GloriousScornfulBoubou.webm

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Agreed

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

webm[/url]

It practically loops, the endless cars going boom :allears:

Was in a game, two died early, and most of the circles were on my drop location, but it was Pochinki. Got good loot, was set, but really risky to leave, only to fight my way back in. Sat a firefight break out below(was on the second story patio watching the hills), and some guy takes out two others. I was tempted to shoot him up, but I waited until he went for the fresh loot, I dropped him quick. Teammate was alerted, but me and my man was waiting for him to come upstairs(and he made such a racket), but he didn't know if I was on the patio or in the hall. Answer was we were in one place each. :

Round was mostly quiet, but then moving to the fourth(fifth?) circle was a case of a ton of open field and no leverage or cover, blue plus being potshot dropped me quick, but at least they didn't get my sweet loot :v:

Solid loot though: m16, supp, 4x, and 90 rounds in all, AK, 2x, both had extended quick mags, medkits, and half a dozen cans of energy drink, I think I died with two medkits, but there's a point where damage outpaces any healing they can do, and I was there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Parallel Playa posted:

Try to adjust your aim after seeing where your bullets land, you never stopped shooting high.

Yeah I figured, I guess I thought I was close enough that it wouldn't matter and my brain just said "you're just a bad shot try again."

KyloWinter posted:

This I didn't know though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
drat games get soft on friday nights, I love it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Pretty much everyone on the goon discord (maybe with a couple of exceptions?) is willing to play with people of any skill level. Worst case scenario you loot pinata when you get killed. Best case you revive some dudes and get a clutch kill or two. The squad learning curve is crazy, but in 10-20 games you'll be contributing to squads consistently.

The best is when everyone in your squad is terrible leading to amazingly terrible yet fun rounds.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Still no chicken dinners for me, I've gotten into the top 3 once but got owned. Usually I end up having to run through open fields to the circles, guessing I should be trying to get a car every time?

The revolver is extremely satisfying, went against 2 guys one with the automatic shotgun one with the M16 and wasted them both.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I won my first game, with 4 kills which felt like a reasonable amount of action. The lack of scopes does hurt my ability to do mid range shooting so I dont really try it most of the time. I wish the k98k was more common. I love that gun in every game its in

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Kinda makes sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uaLWAZXfk

tl;dw: high velocity modern rounds lose all of their energy very quickly when hitting water.

You have to swim like 10ft down to not die from a 9mm bullet. That dude was on the surface.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Just got my first second place and the last circle is literally tiny, how is it anything but random luck at that point :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Odobenidae posted:

I had someone do this to me a few days ago. He was camping on the other side of a boat waiting for someone to take it. As I approached the beach I saw a guy I'd been hunting making a beeline for it so I shot him in the back. Waited a bit and saw that no one else was around so I went over to the shore to loot him & take the boat. Figuring no threats would be coming from the water I was keeping my eye on the coast when I heard a sloshing noise behind me. I turn around to see a guy in a ghillie suit stalking up to me with a shotgun. I unload on him with my ak but all the shots harmlessly bounce of the water while he plinked me three times with a pump shotgun.

I was upset but congratulated him over voice comms for both being imaginative and patient.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Just got my first second place and the last circle is literally tiny, how is it anything but random luck at that point :(

me and a goon squad won the FINAL FINAL CIRCLE in rozhok apartments. that tiny circle eventually closes and kills everyone with no winner after a 15 second warning. We won because we knew about this and someone shot me in the foot and had me pop a medkit just before it kicks off.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
is there a way to fix the revive not working bug?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

calusari posted:

anecdotally, it seems like taking/healing damage to yourself (the person doing the revive) resets it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Only missing out on a pistol suppressor!

This was all from one run of the school; just to show that the RNG is indeed random and that you should never assume any of the loot probabilities changes just because you went a few matches encountering more or less of an item than you expected.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Only missing out on a pistol suppressor!

This was all from one run of the school; just to show that the RNG is indeed random and that you should never assume any of the loot probabilities changes just because you went a few matches encountering more or less of an item than you expected.

Loot goblin spotted!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A man sees a suppressor a man picks up a suppressor.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

calusari posted:

Swapping weapons seems to fix it when it happens to me.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Excuse me, I'm expecting a dinner... Chompers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1OvVKAga2k

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 18, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

cosmicjim posted:

If the circle has closed in to just over grenade range. What is the best gun/sight/muzzle attachment combo for a grass fight with 6 or less people left? I'm looking forward to any answers, but speak up if and humble brag if you've won a lot.

I've been trying to 3rd person target people with my rifle then hit m2 while prone, but the shot doesn't seem to line up. No one is dying but I can't tell if im high or low because I'm blinded by grass. What's the correct method of lining these up?

Anyone?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
37 kills?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Off the top of my head for solos:

SKS/Red dot or 2x/supressor.

The supressor is basically cheating and the sks hits hard enough that, provided you have the initial hit, win most gunfights.

In a perfect world you also have a suppressed vector/uzi to hose down people that are super close to your position.

But seriously, any rifle + secondary can get you the dinner, patience and positioning is going to be far superior to your armament.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm only going prone in the end for short periods of time to heal or to find a better spot with cover I can crouch behind. I never shoot from prone, its terrible. I always lose my target or shoot into the hill. I prefer working the "wedge" of the outer circle from mid game on, usually towards the narrow side but if the terrain is really against me I don't care. I wouldn't say I'm completely tryharding though because I go towards action moreso than away from it, of course you may get further hiding but I don't have as much fun doing that.

By just over grenade range do you mean literally like 25 meters or do you mean under 100? My favorite setups would probably be:
0-20 meters around buildings so easy re-positioning and 3rd person abuse: pump shotgun
0-50 any other time ump with angled foregrip, sup or compensator, red dot
50-100 scar/m16 with red dot or 2x or 4x

If you're 1v1 in a tree vs tree fight you'll probably lose the peaking battle to anyone with a rifle if you don't have one but the ump is my most versatile weapon and can really put the hurt on someone. A kar98 and a silenced ump is my favorite setup unless I'm in a housing area and then I switch the ump for a pump

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Drewjitsu posted:

Off the top of my head for solos:

SKS/Red dot or 2x/supressor.

The supressor is basically cheating and the sks hits hard enough that, provided you have the initial hit, win most gunfights.

In a perfect world you also have a suppressed vector/uzi to hose down people that are super close to your position.

But seriously, any rifle + secondary can get you the dinner, patience and positioning is going to be far superior to your armament.

Appreciate the input. It's because of this thread I realized having a suppressor and 8x for everything is not actually optimal at end game. I'd like to hear more.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

cosmicjim posted:

Appreciate the input. It's because of this thread I realized having a suppressor and 8x for everything is not actually optimal at end game. I'd like to hear more.

A suppressor and a 4x seems to be though

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

Any rifle with a silencer and a red dot and a 4x would be ok for every situation and best case for most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
My new strategy for solos is to land somewhere out of the way, then prioritize getting a jeep above all else. Loot every gas can you see. Then you just never leave the car, except if it's on fire or to hose down someone. Even when the circle is in its final stages, just keep driving around the perimeter.

It's not a winning strategy, but it gets you into the top 20 surprisingly consistently. At least at my garbage tier MMR, people are shockingly bad at getting out of the way of a moving vehicle. Drive towards gunfire if you're feeling lucky, drive towards gunfights always, and enjoy running over someone with an 8x scope and a sniper rifle because they didn't hear a car bearing down on them.

• Locked thread