Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jiffypop45 posted:

So something a little different. How detailed is "safe" to be on a letter of resignation? The reasons I'm leaving have nothing to do with the company or anyone in it but I do feel a very strong need to put it in there. Is that taking things too far? Should I just stick to a standard template and be done?
My longest letter of resignation was about twenty words. It's not an exit interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

jiffypop45 posted:

Should I just stick to a standard template and be done?

Yep.

As mentioned earlier, just be brief in that letter. An exit interview is where you say what you want, if you still feel you need to.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Okay that makes more sense then. I forgot about that part of leaving. I don't think my supervisor wants to read an essay on my way out anyway.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
OP claims:

"Start with a summary of qualifications and tailor it for every job you apply to. The recruiter/hiring manager will read this and should hear all sorts of bells go off, because you stuff it with keywords that are the same as in the job description. Easy peasy."

For online applications where everything is a form, but there's room for an uploaded cover letter document, should I do this at the start of the cover letter instead?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

OP claims:

"Start with a summary of qualifications and tailor it for every job you apply to. The recruiter/hiring manager will read this and should hear all sorts of bells go off, because you stuff it with keywords that are the same as in the job description. Easy peasy."

For online applications where everything is a form, but there's room for an uploaded cover letter document, should I do this at the start of the cover letter instead?

I've been having shitastic luck lately, but a job I was offered earlier and declined specifically said my custom cover letter was one of the reasons they called me. They also liked that I put the job title beneath my name on the resume. Granted it wasn't awesome enough for them to offer me a decent salary, but it can definitely help.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Man I feel like I must be doing something wrong, even with a Masters of Public Administration job and six years of Public Sector Experience (Working for my Uni in undergrad/grad school) I still haven't found a local/state public sector job. I've been applying like a madman since Feburary (graduated in May) on governmentjobs and through city websites but I havent even gotten one call back.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is there any point writing a cover letter? I am thinking about sending a CV in for a job I've seen and it occurs to me that all the times I have interviewed anybody else the only document I've had has been the CV. Will anyone even see it? I have good experience which I think should speak for itself.

This potential job is in Switzerland in the pharma industry btw so I guess their approach may be different from UK or USA.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

knox_harrington posted:

Is there any point writing a cover letter? I am thinking about sending a CV in for a job I've seen and it occurs to me that all the times I have interviewed anybody else the only document I've had has been the CV. Will anyone even see it? I have good experience which I think should speak for itself.

This potential job is in Switzerland in the pharma industry btw so I guess their approach may be different from UK or USA.

My perception of the general thread attitude is that its a nice bit of icing on top and worth doing. This is usually for the USA. No idea about Europe.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

knox_harrington posted:

I read them. It really helps me to get an idea as to who is really interested in the role itself and has put in the time considering if the position fits their skill sets or where they might like to go vs the "Ill take this for a couple of months for a lark and move on".

To be fair we have always been a smaller place that was very attractive with a great working culture so this process was more important than it might be in a lot of companies.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I'm in Canada so it might be different but since 2013 I have handed out tons of resumes. I started using a cover letter after April this year. From 2013 till April this year I had four job interviews. Since April and including tomorrow I will have had four interviews.

I just finished college though so that might have something to do with it. Even though two of the interviews had something to do with my field of study.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An employer can get hundreds of resumes so you have to make yours stand out. If you lack certs, awards, or a rocking bod you might as well stick in a cover letter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My firm will reject applications without cover letters.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My firm will reject applications without cover letters.

Yeah no cover letter is just an easy way for HR to filter your application. When I've applied for jobs in London a lot of have required cover letters. It's one of those things where even if it's never looked at, people's want it. I've been in an awful lot of interviews where the interviewer hasn't even glanced at my CV either.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Krispy Kareem posted:

An employer can get hundreds of resumes so you have to make yours stand out. If you lack certs, awards, or a rocking bod you might as well stick in a cover letter.

Brb going to work out.

Thanks all

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do people still put their addresses on their cover letter? I included it earlier on but removed it in favor of just name and email address at the top.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
My resume has been chopped and changed so much it looks very badly formatted and unappealing. What's the current hotness for résumés? Does everyone still just download an example one and edit it in msword?

I downloaded Scribus(desktop publishing program) so I could control the layout better, but now I realise that I will be asked for a word version anyway, so that was effort wasted.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Do people still put their addresses on their cover letter? I included it earlier on but removed it in favor of just name and email address at the top.
If there's any inkling of a question in the reader's mind about whether you're local or not, this will hurt you.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Vulture Culture posted:

If there's any inkling of a question in the reader's mind about whether you're local or not, this will hurt you.

But if you want to relocate, isn't it ok to ditch the address? On mine, I have my current address, but underneath I say "Relocating to FUTURE CITY, summer 2017"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

When I was applying for jobs to the city I was moving to I put my future address and (as of July 1) next to it, worked perfectly. In everything I saw/read about resumes though it always said to put your address.

For my cover letters I put the business' address as a header.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Had a technical interview at 11am. Job offer at 3pm.

I'm on contract for the first six months so I guess it's less risk for them to pull the trigger after one interview, but I'll take it.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I just recently updated my resume as a Fresh Masters graduate, could I get some feedback if anyone has the chance?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fat_Cow posted:

I just recently updated my resume as a Fresh Masters graduate, could I get some feedback if anyone has the chance?

-Character references is pointless. They know they can ask you for references.
-Good on you for mentioning specific dollar values, maybe mention if it was on time/budget.
-If you can say how much the contacts and opprtunities you gained were worth to the foundation, that'd be good.
-I think you could drop it to one page easily by trimming some fat, e.g. worked closely with ____ on events and coordinate closely with on events seem like the same thing to me.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Overall not bad but nobody really cares how fast you can type or that you know how to use MS office

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Try to condense it to one page. Ditch references and like Quandary said, no one cares how fast you type. This isn't Black Hawk Down, everyone types now.

Directing projects sounds an awful lot like project management and yet I don't see project management in your skill set. You have software listed which is good. Make sure you list any software you know because those are keywords your prospective employer is going to be scanning for.

Also when you said Fresh Masters Graduate I thought you said French Masters Graduate and was really confused by the complete lack of French in your resume.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Omne posted:

But if you want to relocate, isn't it ok to ditch the address? On mine, I have my current address, but underneath I say "Relocating to FUTURE CITY, summer 2017"
Yeah, it wouldn't really make a difference one way or the other in that case. I am the only person in the world with my first and last name, but if you have a more common one maybe you would want to keep it to help people turn up your LinkedIn or something.

In my diktat, people wouldn't actually care about this, but I guess people get cold feet about moving often enough where the lack of a local address can be a negative to some resume-readers. The usual advice is to put down the address of someone you know in town, if possible, as though you already live there.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Try to condense it to one page. Ditch references and like Quandary said, no one cares how fast you type. This isn't Black Hawk Down, everyone types now.

Directing projects sounds an awful lot like project management and yet I don't see project management in your skill set. You have software listed which is good. Make sure you list any software you know because those are keywords your prospective employer is going to be scanning for.

Also when you said Fresh Masters Graduate I thought you said French Masters Graduate and was really confused by the complete lack of French in your resume.

Quandary posted:

Overall not bad but nobody really cares how fast you can type or that you know how to use MS office

Okay, trimmed the fat down to one page. I'll remove the WPM count and add Project management to my resume, and software. Appreciate the help!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Related question - I'm using Google Docs and need some templates for the resume sending - fax cover letters and such. Most of the template sites look goofy as gently caress though... am I ok using random templates from https://www.resume.stealurdata.biz.ru Are there any good, reputable sources for templates and the like?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
How long should I wait to contact companies after a second interview, or contact them at all? I had two second interviews on Thursday last week and neither gave me an idea when to hear back due to the holiday week. I thought they would have the courtesy to respond after we have both invested the time of a second round interview, but I might be optimistic.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Unknownmass posted:

How long should I wait to contact companies after a second interview, or contact them at all? I had two second interviews on Thursday last week and neither gave me an idea when to hear back due to the holiday week. I thought they would have the courtesy to respond after we have both invested the time of a second round interview, but I might be optimistic.

I'd always send a courtesy thank you email immediately after the interview. Did you do that?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd always send a courtesy thank you email immediately after the interview. Did you do that?

Yes, I sent each of them a thank you email the day after the interview. Just seems odd that they would not send me any kind of rejection or thank you email. Back to the grind I guess.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It really does suck, especially if it's a job you really want. I spent months going back and forth interviewing with a company that I really admired and then heard nothing after the final interview. Took a while to get over that one.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Unknownmass posted:

Yes, I sent each of them a thank you email the day after the interview. Just seems odd that they would not send me any kind of rejection or thank you email. Back to the grind I guess.

Call or email the point of contact on Monday. It's not rude to ask for a follow up a week or so after the interview of you haven't heard anything.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm currently re-writing my resume and I was wondering how to layout some items.
In my current job I have done the same "package" of tasks several times for different software programs. How should I explain this? Should I pick one specific time I did this and detail every item or like do a bullet saying designed so and so with a list of secondary bullet for all the tasks?
Generally is it better to be very precise "I designed and implemented a program for this specific project and product" or should I say like I did this tasks several times?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Got told to post this here. Crossposting from the ask/tell Sales thread. It's pretty sales orientated (obviously) but hopefully has some good tips.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Impromptu Flip posted:

Sure, I'd be interested in pretty much all of that. Not looking for a new gig at the moment but it never hurts to learn something new.

JackDarko posted:

I have an interview for an Account Executive role at an IPO in Santa Monica tomorrow. I'll definitely make sure to ask what the value proposition is. What are some other good questions to ask?

Well, never been a better time to post this I guess. Here's a list of general info gathering questions you can use. I don't use all of them, a lot of them should get covered off by the employer during the course of the interview anyway. But as someone who recently jumped both-feet first and completely blindly into an 11 day a fortnight job, it never hurts to ask them even if they seem stupid. Just don't ask a question where the information has been plainly given during the interview/recruitment process.

Questions to ask during a sales interview

Qualifying Questions
  • What is your history within the company?
    I like to open with a question along these lines. Sales is about control and establishing relationships. Getting an interviewer to open up a bit and talk about themselves works wonders and can help defuse some tension, especially if you tend to get a bit nervous during interviews.
  • What training is offered?
  • What are the pathways for career advancement?
    The preceding two questions shows the interviewer that you give a bit of a gently caress and reassures them that you aren't just looking for a stopgap job.
  • What has made people in this role successful?
    This can be a good opportunity to find out if you'll be a good "cultural match" for the job. Alternatively, you can pose it along the lines of "What does your best performing [position title] acheive per week/month/whatever?".
  • What are a general day’s responsibilities?
    Again, good to determine "cultural" fit. If you can't be there before 8.30AM because you have to drop your kids at school and their itinerary starts at 8, then you've got some thinking to do.
  • What are the most important points which will determine who you hire for this role?
    This is a sick pre-closer if you have some balls and can stick the landing. Give them an opportunity to give you as much info as possible, and use it to re-sell anything you're concerned you didn't get the opportunity to mention when the interviewer was asking you questions. DO NOT jump in after each point. Let them talk, then go in for the kill. If you rush them, you'll sound like Ole Gill Gunderson. If you want the job you're interviewing for, you don't want to leave any doubt in their mind about hiring you.
  • Who is the team I’ll be working with?
    Might seem innocuous but is a nice gentle pre-close. Gets them to envision you in the role already. Don't expect them to drop their dacks and give you any dirt ("Well Jean and Tim are great, but there's this real dickhead called Pino who never stops talking about all the jetski sex he gets on weekends" or whatever)
  • What is the next step in the process?
    Good opportunity to get more information about their hiring process. Not every company puts this on front street, so it's good to know. Also it'll help you modify your closers. You'll seem a bit daft if you go hard expecting them to whip out a contract of employment only for them to turn around and go "So the next round of interviews is next week..."

Pre close questions:
  • How many other people to interview?
  • When will you be making a decision?
    Their answer to these may be straightforward or wishy-washy, but will confirm if the person you're speaking with is really the decision maker, etc etc.

Closer:
  • Is there any reason why you think I couldn't exceed in this role?
    This is the big one. This question has won me a whole bunch of jobs - even non-sales related ones. Again, it's on you to stick the landing. Look them dead in the eyes and do not loving flinch. If they flounder, that's great! Follow up with something along the lines of "I just want to use this opportunity to address any concerns you might have about my suitability for this position". As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I have never had a technical/big project sales role, but I do know for sure that in any sales job you must have the ability to ask for the sale or you will not get it. Insinuation and pleasantness are great but they never earned anybody poo poo.

When I've asked this question during interviews, I've gotten a wide range of responses. Broken down into roughly the two main groups - either they do have a concern, and then you get the chance to have a real human conversation about whether you are or are not right for the role. Usually this has come down to something technical, or something on my resume. The other category is the "No, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't exceed in this role!" to which your response should be "Fantastic, I can start [date]" or (because you qualified them well with your other questions and you're familiar with their hiring process) "Fantastic, let's schedule the next interview now!"

How Paramecium gets interviews for sales jobs
(Good thing I'm a salesgoon because I am poo poo at titles)

The Easy Path:
AKA the entry level position. You should be able to secure an interview over phone or email without a huge expenditure of time or effort. The main thing is your pitch, obviously. Phone works best for this approach but it can work well over email too. The first thing you have to do is establish your Brags. This will form the basis of your pitch. Don't bullshit on these. There should be at least three reasons you can come up with for any job ad as to why you would be perfect for that role. Pulling a random entry level sales position off seek.com:

Pretty boilerplate entry level phone sales job. Lets say you're in the market for such a position and you have no previous phone sales related work history. Maybe you worked a waitstaff job, or did retail work or something. A basic set of three brags which should get your foot in the door:
- Comfortable in customer-focused environments
- I'm eager to start a sales career
- I present well over the phone.

Call the number associated with the ad. Once you get through to the company contact/hiring manager/recruiter:
1 - Introduce yourself
2 - Make sure they understand which job you're inquiring about. If you can, determine when interviews are being held
3 - "I think I'd be perfect for this role because..." - Hit them with the Brags. Don't qualify any of them at this stage, just fire them off ONE TWO THREE
4 - "I've got time available during [date when interviews were on]. Does [specific time in the morning] or [specific time in the afternoon] suit you better?"

So an example of the above might sound like, if everything goes to plan:
"Good Morning! My name is James Goonfellow and I'm very interested in the Event Client Management position you've currently got advertised. Are you the right person to speak to about that role?"
(yes)
"Fantastic! I just saw the advertisement, have I missed the opportunity to be interviewed for the role?"
(No, we're doing interviews from Monday next week)
"That's great to hear. I think I'd be perfect for this role because I'm eager to start a career in sales, I have a background in customer service roles, and I present well in person or over the phone. I've got some time available next Monday, can we schedule an interview?"
(Sure)
"I have some time free around 11AM or mid-afternoon, which would suit you better?"

If they're not gagging for you by this point then your pitch or your brags sucked. This approach may seem weird, especially since they haven't seen your resume yet. I've spoken to hundreds of sales managers in my former life as a Sales Recruitment Consultant and I vouch for this approach. Even if you're looking at a more senior position requiring specific experience or whatever, you will at least get them excited to look at your resume even if you don't land the interview right away. I've seen people with pure gold on their resume who couldn't present for poo poo and had so much trouble finding work. Then I've called in for them using the above technique - the amount of times I heard "Bugger this other bloke, are you looking for work?" would make your head spin.

The Adverse Path/"The Pivot":
Lets say you've done Sales Rep work for a FMCG company. You're sick of selling booze to ski resorts, and you see the following ad pop up:

"Well, that looks like a great package but I don't have any experience in A&D sales, and I don't really have any professional contacts who are builders or architects. How will I ever enter the amazing and fast paced world of CONCRETE AND WATERPROOFING?!"
Fret not, gentlegoon. All hope is not yet lost.
As above, figure out what your three Brags are. You're obviously going to have to work a little harder before. In this example, think back to when you started in that FMCG role. Maybe you started there with no understanding of the market, and no contacts, but you worked LinkedIn hard and built a loyal base up quickly. Maybe you busted your arse to learn your product inside and out and got record sales in your second ever quarter. You're going to have to pitch broad on your general sales skills since you can't address specific points in the job ad. You're also going to have to do a small lead-in to your pitch - why are you making this career pivot? You've got to be authentic and to the point - two sentences max. "I want to move into Concrete and Waterproofing because I've always had a passion for the architectural industry. Honestly being a specifications representative would be a dream come true for me, and this looks like a great opportunity for both of us", something like that. Say it out loud to an empty room to make sure you don't sound like a Penis.
Call the number associated with the job ad. If you go through to a recruiter, that's great. If you're speaking with the decision maker at the company, that's even better. The first thing you need to ascertain on the phone call is if they would be willing to train up/mentor the right candidate. If they are, lead with your precursory statement which should smoothly transition into your three brags. Then close with the interview, as above.

Happy to go into more detail on any of that. I've spent like an hour and a half on this post and it's nearly midnight and I have a full on manflu so I have no idea if this poo poo is even helpful or good. I'll do another post on "Ways to answer trap questions without sounding like a complete deadshit" some other time if people found this content to be of any use whatsoever :froggonk:

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Are there any people who have experience with changing their name as a method for dealing with implicit bias or know others who did it? While I was born in Canada and all of my work experience and education is Canadian, I have a foreign name that people often struggle with. I'm several months deep into my search to switch jobs and the possibility of being screened out based on my name has been mentioned to me by a couple people. There’s a fair amount of research out there on this and it's a thing that exists. To be clear, I'm not saying the only reason my job search has been unsuccessful so far is my name. I'm just entertaining ideas for extra things I could do in addition to informational interviews/networking and submitting job applications. I'm not sure I could go through with changing my name for the purpose of landing a job as I feel my name is part of my identity and I like it, but I’m still curious if people have anything to share.

I should mention that I'm looking to move from private to public sector and I've gotten the impression that public sector job applications have more hoops to jump through (and thus more opportunities for HR to subconsciously screen someone out).

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So I'm probably going to start looking for another job. I been in a consulting gig for about a year and the company has lost some major accounts which resulted in layoffs which I was lucky to survive. My other reason is I bought a house which is a bit far from the company.

Would it be okay to tell HR/hiring managers of the financial difficulties the company is facing during phone/in-face interview? I know the new house/commute should be fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shofixti posted:

Are there any people who have experience with changing their name as a method for dealing with implicit bias or know others who did it? While I was born in Canada and all of my work experience and education is Canadian, I have a foreign name that people often struggle with. I'm several months deep into my search to switch jobs and the possibility of being screened out based on my name has been mentioned to me by a couple people. There’s a fair amount of research out there on this and it's a thing that exists. To be clear, I'm not saying the only reason my job search has been unsuccessful so far is my name. I'm just entertaining ideas for extra things I could do in addition to informational interviews/networking and submitting job applications. I'm not sure I could go through with changing my name for the purpose of landing a job as I feel my name is part of my identity and I like it, but I’m still curious if people have anything to share.

I should mention that I'm looking to move from private to public sector and I've gotten the impression that public sector job applications have more hoops to jump through (and thus more opportunities for HR to subconsciously screen someone out).

So many of my Indian co-workers have had Americanized names. It sucks, but it's probably wise, at least at the 1st stage resume level. So if your name is Sandeep, many use Sam.

Even if your last name sounds foreign, having a westernized first name makes you sound more integrated and probably more experienced. I doubt many managers want to hire the guy who just immigrated unless they want to lowball you on pay which is just as bad.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

lol internet. posted:

Would it be okay to tell HR/hiring managers of the financial difficulties the company is facing during phone/in-face interview? I know the new house/commute should be fine.

I'm not sure if my take is the best, but I try to steer away from even possibly raising red flags during and interview--including the red flag of "they just want any other job." That is, you should appear very interested in the position. For my current search, part of the reason is that I know that the company is in financial troubles but I focus on "your company fits my goals better!" to avoid mentioning that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shofixti posted:

In most places, changing your name is a royal pain in the rear end. You have to talk to all the places that bill you or where you have an account. You have to jump through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops.

Where possible, I'd recommend you apply with a Westernized nickname (Samdeep to Sam, like the other guy said, is one example). You could stick it on your resume and cover letter, and use it in interviews. Might be hard for public sector jobs that'd want a legal name, but no harm trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

The Sean posted:

I'm not sure if my take is the best, but I try to steer away from even possibly raising red flags during and interview--including the red flag of "they just want any other job." That is, you should appear very interested in the position. For my current search, part of the reason is that I know that the company is in financial troubles but I focus on "your company fits my goals better!" to avoid mentioning that.

There's never anything wrong with saying "I'm unsure of the future stability of my current company so I'm exploring other options. Your position/company is interesting to me because xyz." Just keep it relatively positive and general. Making sure you can feed your family is normal. It's trash talking management/coworkers/culture that I would try to avoid.