Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PCOS Bill posted:

How many accounts does ilkhan have?

I shouldn't encourage you, but lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's 110 degrees here and I went to change my front brake pads, got the pads out on one side and realized they still have a bit more life left but figured gently caress it, I'll change them anyway, then went to unscrew the cap for the brake fluid reservoir so I could push the pistons back in on the caliper. I forgot there's a small screw that needs to be taken out to remove a clamp that keeps the reservoir closed, and at this point I was drenched in sweat, so I said gently caress it and put the old pads back in. So one little screw stopped my plan of doing brakes, oil, chain maintenance, and wheel cleaning today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Bananana posted:

I shouldn't encourage you, but lol.

Nah that was legit a good one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished replacing the head stock bearings on the DR, along with getting both wheels to and from cycle gear to get tires on. An absolute hellish job, broken up by frequent rainstorms when it was supposed to be sunny. Took me 11 hours total, with delays, and running back and forth on errands for this and that. Plus, the bike is unweildy as gently caress, and all the nuts and bolts hadn't moved since 96, and the layout was so complicated.

It would have helped if the trackside motorcycle lift had not broken the front and back legs near the end, with both wheels still off the bike.

Watch it get stolen tonight.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Holy loving poo poo put your ratty loving dog on a leash people. I don't appreciate having to do a emergency swerve when your hopped up Chihuahua decides it can take on a motorbike.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Keket posted:

Holy loving poo poo put your ratty loving dog on a leash people. I don't appreciate having to do a emergency swerve when your hopped up Chihuahua decides it can take on a motorbike.

run it over

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in the roadway.
Avoid entanglement of dog with your wheel spokes.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Swerve around the dog and run the owner over.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chihuahuas aren't dogs. They're an embodiment of poor decisions, including everything which lead up to becoming the kind of person who buys a chihuahua.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
after you hit the dog, go back as there may be a law on the books in your state requiring you to report it to the animals owner, then hit the owner

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Sorry, it was a Pomeranian, I wasn't too interested in picking all that fur out of the rear spoke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

Tootle the horn trumpet with vigor, do not explode your exhaust box at him. Go smoothingly by.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Melodiously at first.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Chihuahuas aren't dogs. They're an embodiment of poor decisions, including everything which lead up to becoming the kind of person who buys a chihuahua.

Does the dog deserve death for being severely inbred into the worst possible combination of traits?

In my opinion: yes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Does the dog deserve death for being severely inbred into the worst possible combination of traits?

In my opinion: yes.

Death is a mercy and her sweet embrace must be welcomed.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Collateral Damage posted:

They are a blight upon the canine world. And should be held in the same regard as rats. Except that they bark in that yappy annoying bark.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Interesting almost accident I saw today which seems all the more relevant after watching the newest no prisoners. I'm waiting to turn left onto the freeway, Prius in front of me is waiting too, Prius gets impatient and turns left right in front of a 4runner that's going fast and they narrowly avoid an accident. I usually have an exit plan, but I realized when it happened if the 4runner hit the Prius or swerved towards me to avoid the Prius, I was totally hosed. I guess I should have been hanging out more towards the right edge of the lane, but I wasn't expecting the Prius to go for it because it was such a dumb call, so I was taken completely off guard. I guess some times you're hosed and it's just going to suck?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I'm stopped, I try to position myself to one side of the lane so that I can scoot forwards into the gap between cars if I need to, yeah. But sometimes poo poo just happens and it's a roll of the dice, and the only thing you can do is hope to notice it happening while there's still enough time to react. Always keep your eyes open.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
First time off road, I dump the DR on an uphill. Kinda wheelie then it falls on the left side. Now oil is leaking out of the left side. Haven't had a moment to check it, but at least I got it home. Hoping the hit just crumbled part of the big seal on that side, and that I wont find a big crack when I remove the skid plate.

gently caress my life.

edit: I guess it took a hit on the left side, crumbling the old gasket enough for it to blow out when I tried to cruise at 105 on the way home. :eng99:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 9, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Gasket? It's fine. Better to toy in the garage with the DR than with the 690 anyways.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I wanted to safety wire the nuetral sending unit anyway, so I might as well do that and both gaskets while I have the oil drained. I guess I should count my blessings that my backup bike for the ride tomorrow is a 690.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PCOS Bill posted:

How many accounts does ilkhan have?
Don't blame me for that one. poo poo.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

They are a blight upon the canine world. And should be held in the same regard as rats. Except that they bark in that yappy annoying bark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L4V_KXMbcU

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 9, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MomJeans420 posted:

I guess some times you're hosed and it's just going to suck?

*is beheaded when a semi blows a tire and sends 50 pounds of rubber into my dome*

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

builds character posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tootle the horn trumpet with vigor, do not explode your exhaust box at him. Go smoothingly by.

I see... it's not that you meet the nicest people on a Honda, but that each Honda comes with a nice person instruction manual...

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Don't blame me for that one. poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L4V_KXMbcU

Did you unironically link to a Jeff Dunham skit?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I closed the video as soon as I saw the account. Have some self respect, man.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

No. 6 posted:

Did you unironically link to a Jeff Dunham skit?
yes, because that clip is about tiny not-dogs and its hilarious.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have some self respect, man.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Has anyone ever removed/replaced the rear wheel on the 690 SMC? Why would they do it that way. Why would anyone think that was how you would do something that has been done a million times better on a million other bikes. Why?!!!

This is the biggest "gently caress you" I've seen from engineers since the Mazdaspeed3 front brakes. What the loving gently caress. This is some Saw grade poo poo, crossed with a chinese puzzle box. Why do I need a god damned punch to punch the pins out of the brake pads just so that I can get the bolt back in on the calliper.

Why do I have to do any of this.

If you get a flat on the side of the road on this, you better hope you are next to a SNAP-On distributer. Or you are hosed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That whole post is basically KTM's corporate slogan, soooooo.....

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

There is no way you are doing that the correct/easiest way

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh no, I'm doing it the correct easiest way. The way everyone has to do it. It's convoluted and terrible and it literally just took me an hour to get the rear wheel back on.

Obviously it will be faster next time now that I know the special ktm hellbox way to do things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Oh no, I'm doing it the correct easiest way. The way everyone has to do it. It's convoluted and terrible and it literally just took me an hour to get the rear wheel back on.

Obviously it will be faster next time now that I know the special ktm hellbox way to do things.

It's easier to just report it stolen and get a new bike. Trust me.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Rear wheel on a DRZ just pops right off. I'll trade you straight up, you'll be thanking me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

Rear wheel on a DRZ just pops right off. I'll trade you straight up, you'll be thanking me.

Hissssssss

Chichevache posted:

:lol:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You have to punch the pins out to replace the pads, but you definitely shouldn't have to remove the pads from the caliper to get it back over the rotor and bolted onto the carrier.

Take off the chain guard, angle the wheel a bit to clear the caliper. I found a post on some UK forums where a guy says to take the pins out of the pads, but that seems excessive.

here we go:

quote:

Remove the brake line from that plastic clip on the swingarm
take out the axle a bit (an inch or so)
remove the adjuster block on the right
push forward
remove chain (just move it to the left so it rest on the swingarm or chain guard)
remove axle
pull wheel WITH caliper, all the way so it leaves the caliper bracket slide thing (you might need to allign the bracket it while sliding it out other wise it sticks. I have cleaned and used a little bit of copper grease so it doesnt stick)
move caliper away
done

I swap wheels every other week for trackdays so I had loads of practice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On a Hawk GT you

1. remove the axle nut dust cover
2. remove the axle nut
3. there is no step 3

single-sided swingarms own

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

does yours have the center stand? I've been eyeing this thing for a while https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/6191326627.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wish the POs of my Hawk had taken such good care of it. That bike looks immaculate.