Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

hooah posted:

Haha, nothing drunken or whatever. I occasionally have reason to call my city's information number, which is 311. But I do it so infrequently that I can never remember if it's 311 or 411, and 411 is a $2 misdial on Verizon. They're not able (or more likely, not willing) to turn off that service for my number. Their best suggestion was to create an information contact, which is ok, but not rally great since it's a lot faster to dial three digits than to look up a contact.

Pro-tip - when you call 411 tell them you were disconnected before or that they screwed up somehow and ask for a credit. It's a keystroke for the operator and they don't give a single poo poo because they're just trying to make their calls less than 10 seconds. Morally ambiguous I guess but no harm no foul.

Source: I worked for a 411 call center like 15 yrs ago lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

datajosh posted:

There is a Windows version of SmartSwitch and it should do what you're looking for

I had no idea there was a PC version of this, just tried it/ran it and this is EXACTLY what I wanted!!!!! Thank you so much! :)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I got informed that my Cerberus license is about to expire, can I replace it by Google's own Find my Device app? I believe there was some talk about that apps feature set being expanded a while back.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

I got informed that my Cerberus license is about to expire, can I replace it by Google's own Find my Device app? I believe there was some talk about that apps feature set being expanded a while back.

After Cerberus revoked the "lifetime" accounts they gave away, I ditched it for Google's Device Manager because it does the main things I want. I haven't needed it in a moment of crisis, but I think it's perfectly capable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's been a while since I looked at what functions Google's option has, but I'm pretty sure it can't do things like take selfies upon incorrect password attempts and send messages to the device. I still found it good enough not to bother installing Cerberus on my last couple of phones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I gave up on cerebrus back when it was found out that something was wrong with their security. I think? I can't remember now exactly what it was, but it seems like it was something completely dumb that any security-conscious dev would have avoided.

Google around for it if you're interested...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I gave up on cerebrus back when it was found out that something was wrong with their security. I think? I can't remember now exactly what it was, but it seems like it was something completely dumb that any security-conscious dev would have avoided.

Google around for it if you're interested...

I remember this as well and about as much as you do but googling found this which is p funny

quote:

I have been using Cerberus for a while now after my old phone had been stolen. Everything had been working great until recently when someone registered their phone that has the same IMEI number as mine.

Although the online GPS still pinpoints my location, when I logged on to cerberus and chose to silently record a video, I received an image of this handsome devil.

http://imgur.com/YZkrWMI

I can control everything on this persons phone. He downloaded this app to protect his identity from thieves and I can access everything from his number, to his pictures, to his message history and phone usage habits.

I emailed the cerberus team and asked them about this situation, they said there is nothing they can do on their end. They also assured me that this person cannot spy on my phone either. I'm not sure thats the case.

This is a huge security concern. I don't know what to do. Please be careful of the apps you download.

EDIT: the final response from Cerberus Customer service is:-

As I already wrote, there is nothing that we can do to solve the problem. There are two options:

I re-associate the device with your account, and you accept the fact the commands you send from the website will be received either by your phone or by the other guy's phone with the same IMEI as yours, depending on which phone pinged our servers last

I refund your payment and delete your account

Let me know which option you choose

I think that when the potentially spoofed Mexicans phone took over my account, he had installed cerberus after me. So I will try to delete the software and reinstall it again. this might override his registered IMEI.

It is still a concern though, that if someone spoof's your IMEI and registers with Cerberus before you, you will be at risk of them being able to access your phone. I hope this issue can be resolved in the future.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Gmail app isn't sending any emails with attachments from my phone. They just stay in the Outbox forever (and not let text only emails through). Happens both on cellular data and WiFi. Any ideas?

I tried clearing data and cache, but that didn't do poo poo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For anyone using the strongSwan app (or interested in an IPSec VPN), it just got updated and now allows you to white-/blacklist apps with respect to the VPN. Finally, I can stop toggling the connection just to use Delta's app or OfferUp!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

For anyone using the strongSwan app (or interested in an IPSec VPN), it just got updated and now allows you to white-/blacklist apps with respect to the VPN. Finally, I can stop toggling the connection just to use Delta's app or OfferUp!

Hot drat.

The big problem I always have is casting things to Chromecast when on the VPN.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a way to switch between Google Maps and Google Play Music on the lock screen without unlocking your phone? It just shows whatever app was open last and it sucks having to unlock it to switch to the other one, especially when driving. You can hit the music controls from the notification, but you can't really see the map if it's not in the foreground.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to switch between Google Maps and Google Play Music on the lock screen without unlocking your phone? It just shows whatever app was open last and it sucks having to unlock it to switch to the other one, especially when driving. You can hit the music controls from the notification, but you can't really see the map if it's not in the foreground.

I didn't even realize you could interact with Google Maps from the lockscreen because I always use Android Auto (or before that different car home type of apps).

So, basically, I'm not actually answering your question, but maybe you could just try using the pretty great Android Auto.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Android Auto is pretty great! My Nexus 5x is not. It gets really hot (especially from the sun through the windshield) and Auto likes to lock up every twenty minutes or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I didn't even realize you could interact with Google Maps from the lockscreen because I always use Android Auto (or before that different car home type of apps).

I just did the exact same double take. I had no idea you could do it.

I think the reason I never ran across it before is the Bluetooth in all my cars is a trusted device that disables the lock screen (if I don't have my Moto 360 on me.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

edit: wrong thread :blush:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bluetooth in my car is flaky (it didn't come with it or as an option, so I stuck a stereo out of a different model into it), so I hardly ever use it. Its set up as a trusted device, but it's never turned on.

Guess I need a new phone and a new car stereo! :sigh:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an app from Google that tells you where other people are?

On iPhone I know there is a "Find my Friends" app that is built in or whatever. If you open it, it will show you exactly where a friend is so you can find them or something.

Last week my wife took the kids to the beach and I went there after work; it took me forever to find her. So I realized I really have to start looking into this.

I would really prefer it to be something that's from Google as I don't trust such an app from another company to not completely destroy my battery. From what I found, Google used to offer an app called Latitude that was used for just that but it looks like they stopped supporting it.

Is there such an app? Something maybe even built into the phone? I have a Google Pixel and she has a Google Pixel XL if it helps. Thank you!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is there an app from Google that tells you where other people are?

On iPhone I know there is a "Find my Friends" app that is built in or whatever. If you open it, it will show you exactly where a friend is so you can find them or something.

Last week my wife took the kids to the beach and I went there after work; it took me forever to find her. So I realized I really have to start looking into this.

I would really prefer it to be something that's from Google as I don't trust such an app from another company to not completely destroy my battery. From what I found, Google used to offer an app called Latitude that was used for just that but it looks like they stopped supporting it.

Is there such an app? Something maybe even built into the phone? I have a Google Pixel and she has a Google Pixel XL if it helps. Thank you!

Google Maps can do that: https://www.blog.google/products/maps/share-your-trips-and-real-time-location-google-maps/

quote:

Whenever you want to let someone know where you are, just open the side menu or tap the blue dot that represents where you are. Tap “Share location” and then select who to share with and how long to share—and you're done! You can share your real-time location with your Google contacts, or even share with friends and family by sending a link on your favorite messenger apps. When you’re sharing your location, the people you’ve chosen to share with will see you on their map. And you’ll see an icon above the compass on your own map reminding you that you’re actively sharing your location. You can change your mind and stop sharing at any time—it’s entirely up to you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wow, thanks so much! I opened Google Maps and it even says "NEW!!!" next to this feature. I really appreciate it!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's this app from Google as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.emergencyassist

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

This is awesome. Thanks so much!

Uthor posted:

My Gmail app isn't sending any emails with attachments from my phone. They just stay in the Outbox forever (and not let text only emails through). Happens both on cellular data and WiFi. Any ideas?

I tried clearing data and cache, but that didn't do poo poo.

Try uninstalling it (so it will go back to the default version that came with your phone) and then going into the Play Store and downloading the update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is awesome. Thanks so much!

You'll want to use Maps though. Trusted Contacts is pretty lovely to use in practice. You can't set up a persistent share (in other words you can't Trust a Contact) and getting the location of someone requires interaction on their end. That's not a big deal for friends who maybe you don't want to share your location with all the time but for someone like your significant other whom you'll presumably always be sharing your location it sucks.

Plus everyone already has Maps installed and it's easy to explain how to use the feature. Even my dad can do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I think it was this thread where it was being discussed about Google Maps showing or not showing speed limits.

Turns out that Maps only shows speed limits if you're in San Francisco or Rio de Janeiro.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still trying to figure out what messaging app to use since Allo sucks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

San Francisco or Rio de Janeiro.

Interesting

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Agoat posted:

Textra

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agoat posted:

Oh man, the only problem I have with Allo is that not enough of my friends are on it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Only problem with textra is that (at least on Pixel) it constantly loses "draw over other apps" permission which requires a reboot to add MMS and attachments. Supposedly has to deal with something in Daydream from what I've read.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

vyst posted:

Textra

I'm actually downloading that now!

Edit: This owns

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man, the only problem I have with Allo is that not enough of my friends are on it.

Thats why I hate it. If it had SMS I'd be fine with it.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 8, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Speaking of Allo, it's been a month since the initial rollout of selfie gifs and I still don't have it active on my phone. I've tried reinstalling Allo, rebooting, clearing its data, etc. Google's product forums are a wasteland of broken English and "experts" giving zero actual help.

Allo is hands down my most favorite messaging app but lmao at adoption of it being effectively zero.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Allo is hands down my most favorite messaging app but lmao at adoption of it being effectively zero.
Yeah, I'd love to use it instead of Hangouts for my Google Voice messages, for sure.

My wife and I are on it, though, which covers a good number of the messages I send and receive. My previous phone was so hosed it was the only messaging app that would actually notify me.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The issue with Allo is even if I get all my friends on it, new friends or family members won't be on it. Without fallback SMS I'll never get to use it properly.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Medullah posted:

Only problem with textra is that (at least on Pixel) it constantly loses "draw over other apps" permission which requires a reboot to add MMS and attachments. Supposedly has to deal with something in Daydream from what I've read.

I haven't had that problem on my Pixel XL. Are you running on beta?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uncle Lizard posted:

I haven't had that problem on my Pixel XL. Are you running on beta?

Nope, 7.1.2. I talked to a Textra rep and they said they're trying to do something but it's supposedly fairly common.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I like to dick around with making chiptunes and know just about nothing about using real instruments or equipment. At home, I can use Bosca Ceoil and LSDJ in an emulator. I would like to be able to do this on my lunch break.

Android music apps try to mimic real sound equipment and or have a lot of barriers to making even a simple chip sound and putting it on a scale. Gameboy emulators are really unresponsive on a touch screen and I can't seem to get any to respond to inputs that involve holding down more than one button. Any good recommendations for either case?

fake edit: Bosca Ceoil can run in adobe air, but I think I'm right in assuming that the adobe air apps on the store are scams?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Medullah posted:

Nope, 7.1.2. I talked to a Textra rep and they said they're trying to do something but it's supposedly fairly common.

I guess I'll consider myself lucky then.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Caustic 3 has a dedicated chiptune synth and a bunch of very crusty old drum machine kits, the demo is basically full featured except for saving more than one song

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Agoat posted:

Definitely telegram

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Is there any reason to get an anti malware app? Bitdefender emailed me saying I should download theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Winter Rose posted:

Is there any reason to get an anti malware app? Bitdefender emailed me saying I should download theirs.

No. They're mostly just there to aggressively upsell you to paid services you don't need.