Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Wait normally I have good taste but I really enjoyed Castlevania, weird.

I think there's a chance it's good but an even greater chance I was just really in the mood for spooky cartoons tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Castlevania was a ton of fun and shockingly good. I'd be annoyed about the cocktease ending if we didn't already have it confirmed there's more coming.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Castlevania was... average! Bad animation balanced out by fantastic voice acting. A weird, murky plot that could have used more world building balanced out by neat characters that make you want to see more.

Honestly, my two major problems with it are:

1. no music from the games what the hell that's the best part of castlevania
2. The last shot with the gang together seemed like "here is your main cast," so if they ignore Grant DaNasty I'm gonna send Warren Ellis a mean tweet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The gong show just had super old Dana carvey creeping on Japanese schoolgirl, I'd like to gong him

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dug the gently caress out of Castlevania :shrug:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please don't talk about the People's President like that.

HAHAHAHA

You motherfuckers don't deserve him. Let him be king of the Pacific

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've watched the first episode of Castlevania (having never really played much of the games) and I fully support Dracula's decision to kill all humans.

It seems pretty good.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It is IMO! It's clearly low budget but the writing is surprisingly strong and the performances are good. It seems like they were just given enough money to produce a movie length feature but then they split it into 4 episodes for whatever reason. I'm glad they get to make more. Hope they get some music in there though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's basically an anime-esque OVA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am assuming we will get more classic stuff once we actually get to the Castle.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am assuming we will get more classic stuff once we actually get to the Castle.

And then topsy-turvy stuff when we get to the Inverted Castle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that the VA doing Alucard seems to be drawing from the original SotN dub for a lot of his performance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Gaius Baltar

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Aww, damnit. This loving sucks, RIP Lafayette.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've never played Castlevania. Should I still watch?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

nooooooo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Holy poo poo, that is way too young.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've never played Castlevania. Should I still watch?

Do you like the idea of a cool guy hunting vampires in medieval times? Possibly using a whip?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Do you like the idea of a cool guy hunting vampires in medieval times? Possibly using a whip?

The show doesn't really have any of that. If anything it makes Dracula look look a pretty cool guy who makes a reasoned decision to kill all humans because the Catholic Church are dicks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

The show doesn't really have any of that. If anything it makes Dracula look look a pretty cool guy who makes a reasoned decision to kill all humans because the Catholic Church are dicks.

I actually thought they did a good job of distinguishing the difference between the church and the guys who were acting like dicks. When the demons go into the church and kill the bishop, they tell him that he has strayed from God's path, and therefore this isn't a church anymore and they can enter. Also, when a proper priest makes holy water, its effective, meaning that the church and holy powers still work, as long as its truly good and not acting a dick in the name of God.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Good to see Donal Logue's daughter was found

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sounds like she went on a 2 week secret vacation.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For whoever is considering watching this Castlevania thing, here's your monthly reminder that Penny Dreadful is rather rad and totally worth a shot. Over-acted as gently caress Victorian London vampire/witch/werewolf/Frankenstein/Dorian Gray/literal Satan shenanigans (and I've undoubtedly missed a few on that list).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of reminders:

Reminder that after bitching about Person of Interest for like 2 weeks straight, it turns out everyone was right and it gets really good :3:

Not until about halfway through season 2, but everything after that has been stellar. On season 5 now, gonna be sad when it's over.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wynonna Earp is really good this season guys. No fooling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Wynonna Earp is really good this season guys. No fooling.

What's that on, again? Don't say showtime...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SyFy.

Season 1 was a little iffy with some really bad CGI and a pretty by the numbers "collected the bad guys" plot, but yeah, they turned away from that and into something bigger story wise and more Lovecraftian/"there's all kinds of poo poo out there" and its feeling a lot less like a guilty pleasure and more like a show I'm actually into watching.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We started binge-watching Wynonna Earp on Netflix last week and have four more episodes to go in Season 1. Hopefully we can get caught up with the current season in time, since it looks like SyFy has the first few episodes of Season 2 for free on demand right now.

It reminds me of Buffy by way of Preacher, since I never watched Supernatural. My wife and I are really enjoying it so far, and she would normally be never into a show like this (I could never get her into Buffy, and she would hate all the violence and gore in Preacher).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's a serious bummer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The final season of The Strain starts on July 16th on FX.

The show features one of the most hateable characters in the history of fiction, Zach Goodweather.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nelsan Ellis, who you might remember as Lafayette on True Blood, has died.

Only 39. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

Buffy by way of Preacher

:frogon:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

SyFy.

Season 1 was a little iffy with some really bad CGI and a pretty by the numbers "collected the bad guys" plot, but yeah, they turned away from that and into something bigger story wise and more Lovecraftian/"there's all kinds of poo poo out there" and its feeling a lot less like a guilty pleasure and more like a show I'm actually into watching.

The woman who plays Wynonna is the right amount of sarcastic, charming, tough and witty. It's effortless.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 9, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

The final season of The Strain starts on July 16th on FX.

The show features one of the most hateable characters in the history of fiction, Zach Goodweather.

This show is Dumb and Terrible and I can't wait for it to start back up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
PlayStation Vue is gonna be getting a $10 price hike so I looked into other options and I should have switched to Sling TV before now–it’s really improved since I first tried it a year ago. The channel selection is better than Vue’s, and the interface is better and faster on my Fire TV. The only downsides are the limited 50 hour DVR (not really an issue, since I never watched most of the poo poo I DVR’d on Vue anyway *cough*ten seasons of Law & Order*cough*) and the fact that live TV can’t be paused... which hasn’t been an issue yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really like Sling, yeah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone please give Wynonna Earp a chance. I've been friends with the creator of the comics (Beau Smith) for a long time now and he really deserves this success!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Speaking of reminders:

Reminder that after bitching about Person of Interest for like 2 weeks straight, it turns out everyone was right and it gets really good :3:

Not until about halfway through season 2, but everything after that has been stellar. On season 5 now, gonna be sad when it's over.

Yes, you will. And yet you will know it ended right.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yes, you will. And yet you will know it ended right.

Actually, Snak, one thing I'm going to bring up before you do: the PoI staff needed more than 13 episodes to pull off everything they wanted to do, and as a result, it feels like there are a few crucial beats missing in a S5 side character's arc. That character ends up being somewhat important, so the ending suffers on balance, but it amounts a brief stumble on the dismount into an otherwise strong finish.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Everyone please give Wynonna Earp a chance. I've been friends with the creator of the comics (Beau Smith) for a long time now and he really deserves this success!

Its a woman show runner too, she's killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The real life GLOW on Family Feud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sebM08wr46k

• Locked thread