Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My first painting of Space Marines in like 21 years.
Just testing speed painting a bare head, and finding a good approach for yellow basecoat since Zuul infected me with Howling Griffons madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Agentdark posted:

Thanks everyone! I just bought a box of Empire Flagellants and a Cadian Command Squad, so this should be interesting.

Also, even for a Brigade Detachment, are Setinals even worth taking for the Fast Attack Slot? Or is rough riders the place you want to go?

If you're looking for effectiveness you don't want either, you want Hellhounds. If you're just looking to fill the Force Org slots as cheaply as possible (and you've got both sets of models available) then probably Rough Riders.

A minimum squad of Rough Riders can grab two Special Weapons, has 10 wounds, Move 10", and counts as five models for claiming objectives. A single Scout Sentinel only has 6 wounds, Move 9", and a single Heavy Weapon and is one model. Both are around the same points, 5x Rough Riders with 2x Grenade Launchers is 50pts, while a Scout Sentinel with an Autocannon is the same same 50pts.

Mind you, splitting the difference is possible. Grabbing a Lascannon or Missile Launcher Sentinel to snipe at enemy Vehicles and Monsters while having a couple of minimum sized Rough Rider squads running around grabbing objectives or spraying Meltagun or Flamer fire around could work too. Just don't get them into Hand to Hand combat much unless you boost the squad size to max. You'll want numbers on those charges, which takes the Riders away from cheap and disposable.

And of course, if you have the points, I'd personally rather have three Hellhounds than any combination of Riders or Sentinels.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Just testing speed painting a bare head, and finding a good approach for yellow basecoat since Zuul infected me with Howling Griffons madness.

Presumably you have been painting other things because that guys face looks amazing! I initially read it as "I haven't painted in 21 years" and I was contemplating my long road to my current talent....

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Its all about cheating (airbrush and washes) and watching youtube.

https://youtu.be/ODqCZEzfdl4
I am sad Buypainted stopped making videos.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Some Artillery pieces and their respective gunners have different Ballistic Skill values. When you're firing an artillery piece, can you elect to have it be fired by the gunner, and therefore use the gunner's BS instead of the base BS?

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Some Artillery pieces and their respective gunners have different Ballistic Skill values. When you're firing an artillery piece, can you elect to have it be fired by the gunner, and therefore use the gunner's BS instead of the base BS?

This sounds like cheese, I hope it's ruled against somewhere

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

TokenTrevor posted:

This sounds like cheese, I hope it's ruled against somewhere

Really? It sounds reasonable to me. Wouldn't a gunner with a better Ballistic Skill be better at shooting the gun?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
So, the two "Starter Sets" come with a 4x4 and a 2x2 mat: I wonder if they can match up with each other?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

goose willis posted:

Does anyone in these threads even reply to army list posts

JackMack posted:

I find it the most dull bit of the thread. I would rather hear s retrospective after you play it. Otherwise it is just a list of models and points values.

JackMack is in luck - I played my first game (of 8th) using Eldar today, so here is what happened. Played against Adeptus Mechanicus, which I knew from my last game is an absolutely terrifying shooting army. Even worse, their weapons were somewhat overkill on my imperial guard but would have a far worse effect on the 30+point jetbikes which compose my Eldar force. My army is supposed to be eldar corsair types, and I only really try and take fast units, with no heavy vehicles or slow things. I used an Outrider detachment:

Autarch (jetbike) with laser lance, fusion gun.
6 Jetbikes, 5 with shuriken cannons, one just with catapults
3 Vypers (all separate units) with double shuriken cannons
2 Skyweavers with shuriken cannons and zephyrglaives
7 Shining Spears, Exarch had a star lance

So everything in the army was mobile as gently caress, moving 16-22" with mostly effective shooting. My issues were that I have no heavy or really long range firepower. The list will struggle to damage any very resilient enemies, who combine high Wounds with good armour. Rends on the shuriken weapons, doing 1 damage each, are no longer a viable way to remove tough stuff. That's only 19 models in the list (at 1000 points). While all have multiple wounds, none of them are especially resilient and it seems loving hard to claim cover with jetbikes. So it's mobile, but can't really take a punch and can't throw one especially far or hard.

My opponent fielded the same mix as before - Kataphron Destroyers, 2 Kastelans, an Onager crawler, with one infantry unit and a couple techpriest types. He added a Callidus Assassin to his Sicarian Infiltrators as a more aggressive element.

We played 'Tactical Escalation' from the Maelstrom missions. Basically your number of objectives per turn goes up and up as the game progresses. My deployment was just shorter than his so I had the choice. I gave him first turn, but there was method to the madness. We were using my mate's brand new martian=themed mountain board. Big foam-carved rocks all over, looked great. A huge cliff thing dominated the centre ground, completely blocking line of sight but posing little obstacle to my Flying movement. I had deployed back so his first turn shooting would be mostly ineffective, I thought that would give me a bit of an advantage.

So I might have misread that situation as his Onager (the only thing which could see) immediately one-shot a Vyper and gained him First Blood. But otherwise my strategy worked well. I avoided quite a lot of fire using LoS blocking terrain, which I think kept me alive - in a straight shooting war I think my army would have been wiped by the end of turn 4. His Infiltrators+Assassin came in and did some damage, but I destroyed them both, together with his infantry squad, quite isolated from the rest of his force.

After the initial turns he had taken the lead on objective points, but of course there are more points up for grabs later in the game. The decisive moment was when I charged in with 5 shining spears and an Autarch to his Kastelans. He rolled high on number of shots for overwatch and incredibly well on wounds; I rolled poorly on saves. I lost 3 Shining spears (7 wounds) on the charge. Gutted. Killed one robot but the other escaped unscathed. The battered remnants of our armies clawed at each other. Basically he destroyed my over-extended assault. But his remaining units (Onager, 1 Kastelan, the tech-priests) were still grouped in one corner, about where they started. So at the 4th and fifth turn I was able to jet my units around nabbing objective points while he was drawing cards he couldn't achieve. End of turn 5 I moved to secure 3 separate objectives, get close to his Warlord and gun him down. This broke me into the lead (we had been 12-12) and fortunately the game ended. 16-12 to Eldar.

He wouldn't have been able to table me had it gone on, because I would have hid like a screaming pansy behind terrain. But I only had 4 jetbikes and 2 vypers left, one of which was on 1 wound. (Best moment of the game, that Vyper went a into a Fight phase locked into combat against Infiltrators; I had to pass 12 armour saves. I made 11, went fro broke and spent the command point to re-roll the last. Made it, enabling me to fly away. loving epic.)

So a lot of my fears about Eldar were justified, they have little staying power (at least the kind of models I like and collect from the faction) and I need to find a source of real firepower like bright lances. But the mobility really paid off, from the mission and even more from the terrain. Still don't think they're all that as an all-comers army.

On my opponent's side, holy poo poo those Kastelans are the unit for all seasons. Great overwatch, great resilience/special abilities, great ranged shooting. Their mortal-wound reflecting invulnerable saves are possibly the most irritating thing in the game to play against (in my limited experience of the edition so far).

Has anyone else used Eldar? How did it go?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The easy-build Intercessors seem like clear winners over the Reivers, imo. That may be my bias towards models doing simple battlefield tasks like spotting, scouting, and communicating, though. Little details like that help models feel so much more alive than some of the poses I feared Marines would have.

The Intercessor data sheet also has that big red rule section I didn't see on the other sheet, too. Think that'll be rules for the communicator/scanner, and with it our first hint at actual wargear options for Primaris units?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

dexefiend posted:

That is a great face. I really like the purple push shading below the cheekbones.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I'm not familiar with all of the artillery pieces but if this were the case it would specifically say that.

IE: Thunderfire Cannon hits on 3+, and the techmarine can fire his own guns on the 2+.

Also I found a really old death company marine and apparently they just skipped leg day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I was thinking, I need some kinda container like tupperware or just some plastic shelf or box in order to store different armies so I can stack them up, I'm running out of room in my apartment over here. I've got a travel case but I don't need another of those, I just need some simple plastic containers or whatever a little taller than a mini and nice and wide.

I could go trawl Amazon, but before I do, anybody already buy something like this you can recommend?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Xarlaxas posted:

So, the two "Starter Sets" come with a 4x4 and a 2x2 mat: I wonder if they can match up with each other?

I think the 4x4 is a typo--it doesn't look square. Probably 4x2.

They do line up, in that the 2x2 mat is just half of the 4x2 visually and the roads line up. I think chances are good they may release a 4x6 at some point, though.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Reivers are 18ppm according to the pdf sheet that just got released. I just wanna know what they do :c

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

More interestingly, they come in squads of 5-10. I hope all the other Primaris units are getting that treatment in the new book.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Where is this Reiver info coming from?

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Really? It sounds reasonable to me. Wouldn't a gunner with a better Ballistic Skill be better at shooting the gun?

I don't claim to be right or anything about it. That's just my fairly new player opinion rearing its ugly head.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
New Nurgle tank (found this pic on Bolter & Chainsword, where they'd found it from somewhere else). This is a blow-up of a preview page on GW's site, where if you zoom in on the text you can see that it's called a "Plagueburst Crawler". Dunno why everything has to have a terrible name these days. I like the slug-like profile though. Must be interesting for GW's vehicle designers, having to stay inside the setting's current human vehicle design language (I mean, the sponsons on this one look like something from the Horus Heresy, which is fitting). Maybe one day they'll make a Leman Russ that doesn't look awful.

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 8, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

TokenTrevor posted:

I don't claim to be right or anything about it. That's just my fairly new player opinion rearing its ugly head.

I'm sure it works where you have to use the gun's BS. But from a common sense standpoint, if it's being fired by somebody, how adept they are with using ranged weapons should make a difference...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Question about battle scribe. Is there a setting to work in two detachments in the same list? Or do i need to allote points into ine then keep track of it while working on the othet in a completely different list?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I'm sure it works where you have to use the gun's BS. But from a common sense standpoint, if it's being fired by somebody, how adept they are with using ranged weapons should make a difference...

Presumably the different BS reflects the difficulty of firing the gun across the battlefield compared to shooting someone with a pistol from six feet away.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

For_Great_Justice posted:

Question about battle scribe. Is there a setting to work in two detachments in the same list? Or do i need to allote points into ine then keep track of it while working on the othet in a completely different list?

Just hit add entry below the unit roster window and you can add more detachments.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Corrode posted:

Presumably the different BS reflects the difficulty of firing the gun across the battlefield compared to shooting someone with a pistol from six feet away.

But again, it doesn't account for a firer with more skill being better at shooting than one with less skill.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Where is this Reiver info coming from?

https://www.games-workshop.com/reso...02_July_8th.pdf

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how the Dark Angels bigly librarians get the Deathwing keyword and the Unforgiven ability, but don't actually get access to their unique psychic lore. Blood Angels don't either.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm loving Bullgryns this edition. For 287 points you can get 6 with mauls and a priest. On the charge that is 31 S7 -1ap 2D attacks. Against terminators that is still 4 dead terminators on average rolls. Every game I've used them in so far they have easily made their points and more back. At T5 3W and a mixed match of 2+ and 4++ saves they can take a substantial punch from heavy weapons or basic bolters.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is the D.C. Hamma Slamma still happening on the 15th? If so can someone gimme a ride or pick me up at a metro? I promise I won't murder you if you don't murder me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

I promise I won't murder you if you don't murder me.

That's just what a murderer would say. :colbert:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Thanks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

New Nurgle tank (found this pic on Bolter & Chainsword, where they'd found it from somewhere else). This is a blow-up of a preview page on GW's site, where if you zoom in on the text you can see that it's called a "Plagueburst Crawler". Dunno why everything has to have a terrible name these days. I like the slug-like profile though. Must be interesting for GW's vehicle designers, having to stay inside the setting's current human vehicle design language (I mean, the sponsons on this one look like something from the Horus Heresy, which is fitting). Maybe one day they'll make a Leman Russ that doesn't look awful.

this is p. cool. that gives us at least 4 new units to expect (slug daemon, mortarion, terminators, slug tank)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Safety Factor posted:

I like how the Dark Angels bigly librarians get the Deathwing keyword and the Unforgiven ability, but don't actually get access to their unique psychic lore. Blood Angels don't either.

Even better? It says you can add the bigly librarian, captain and reivers to the list of units Deathwatch can take. Despite DW not getting access to any other Primaris.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Has anyone else used Eldar? How did it go?

Nice report. I haven't played as Eldar or against them in this edition yet, though I've got a game against my brother's Dark Eldar tonight. We'll see how that goes.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

bonds0097 posted:

Just hit add entry below the unit roster window and you can add more detachments.

Thank you.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is the D.C. Hamma Slamma still happening on the 15th? If so can someone gimme a ride or pick me up at a metro? I promise I won't murder you if you don't murder me.

I can pick you up at a metro most likely. Given it's north Baltimore I shouldn't be going too far out of the way to get to one. Are there any weekend service issues that might cause problems?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Funniest part is that the Reivers are min squads of 5, but come in boxes of 3

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
This is probably not the only box they will come in.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Agentdark posted:

Also, even for a Brigade Detachment, are Setinals even worth taking for the Fast Attack Slot? Or is rough riders the place you want to go?

I have been using scout sentinels with autocannon - they're what I had. Not too bad a buy really. Scouting forward to deter the deep striking type units is a godsend. I would say that the heavy flamer would be a superior choice in that role. Taking them for that and the brigade detachment . . . I think they're ok. As weapon platforms I can't say I really rate them. Mobility is quite offset by the hit penalty for moving and while they are more resilient than infantry they can be one-shot by a lot of anti-tank weapons. You can get more than double the number of heavy weapons in infantry teams than you can get on scout sentinels.

As I play more I get more sceptical of building armies to maximise command points. I think filling out a brigade (with IG) is a good idea but I wouldn't try to do 2 - I'd jusy add in the units I thought most effective, then tweak them into an additional detachment of whatever type fit, or even cram them into the same brigade if no other option was available. Points efficient units beat bonus command points IMO.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I love all the new plague marine sculpts so much, but now I have loving 5 unassembled powerfist models. I'll have to try cutting them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Floppychop posted:

Funniest part is that the Reivers are min squads of 5, but come in boxes of 3

This easy to build release is essentially a mirror of the same thing AoS did. Small boxes for beginners in a pocket money price range.

Is odd they released them before their multipart equivlents tho.