Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

TheMaestroso posted:

Nadine: With basically two short shots of her, it's similar to showing Norma - her presence so far relates to something else. In this case, all we know is that she loves watching Dr. Amp and she has a lot of fabric in her office, implying she may have started a business of her own. No Big Ed in sight is also interesting.

CJacobs posted:

Nadine Hurley's Patented Silent Drape Runners

I visited North Bend back during filming. This is a big nadine spoiler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No goddamn way :eyepop:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

kaworu posted:

Um. Not really, no.

I understand that this very much inductive reasoning (what isn't, when you're talking about this sort of thing?) and that the premises of the argument are very weak, but that doesn't mean it's entirely force, or not worth discussing.

I can understand why it's seen as worth being trolled/mocked too, obviously.

Anyway, can we start talking about the ways in which a mushroom cloud resembles a big hard cock, and what Lynch means there? Man/BOB raping the world with its hot throbbing mushroom cloud penis? Maybe the Woodsmen are more like sperm. No wait, the Frog-Moths are obviously the sperm.

I would go one step further and say its not worth discussing about how it is or is not worth discussing.

That goes double for that retarded rear end poo poo youre trying to discuss with that bottom sentence, Jesus Christ, grow up.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Surprised to see Lynch and Frost ideas mirror the Infowars conspiracy crowd.

The link between Parsons, Liber Babylon & The Moonchild and the gates opening to allow unearthly or alien visitors is straight from paranoid Illuminati freaks... Or weirdos that just like reading about Jack Parsons and sex magic, like me. The idea that the Moonchild ritual was actually the golden orb of plutonium being impregnated into the massive warhead canister and that the power of the anti-christ was released whenever we tested the bomb, that's straight from a Christian-Right conspiracy video I've seen. That video blamed an "evil jewish scientists," named Bob. Then you have the nephilim, the owls and owl ring symbol harkening back to Bohemian Grove, the Blue Rose being Project Bluebook... It's straight up bonkers. It would have fallen apart in the hands of anyone who wasn't David Lynch.

Treating a risen hobo as basically an Oni spirit was awesome.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 6, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its a story older than the bible. man lets evil into the world.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Legin Noslen posted:

I would go one step further and say its not worth discussing about how it is or is not worth discussing.

That goes double for that retarded rear end poo poo youre trying to discuss with that bottom sentence, Jesus Christ, grow up.

*puts hand on shoulder* "I'm so sorry..." *hobbles out of the roadhouse*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's called the bang bang bar you poser

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've been waiting 25 years for an episode in which someone gets shot at the Roadhouse so that I can point at the sign and go LYNCH IS A GENIUS :byodood:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
That gun you like is coming back in style

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

A few pages back, someone mentioned that the latest episode also gave us a lot more information about blue rose. I don't think I made that connection, anyone willing to clarify / point out where that happened?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So there must be a major shift coming in episode 9 of this series as actors like Ray Wise seem to be credited as being in the show from episode 9 onwards.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I really think episode 8 is a turning point for the season in some way and that things are going to be heading in a different direction from here on out.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

uncertainty posted:

A few pages back, someone mentioned that the latest episode also gave us a lot more information about blue rose. I don't think I made that connection, anyone willing to clarify / point out where that happened?

Blue rose = nuke related? Not sure if there was any more to it than that.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more theories about the nature of the glass box. Cooper was traveling outside of our existence when he collided with it, and suddenly he was real again.

The universe is teeming with quantum particles doing exactly this constantly, they just never have any real effect because they jump in and out of existence so quickly.

quantum effects are not actually limited to subatomic particles. All matter has quantum properties, they're just harder to observe. So what the box is, is a "macro"-particle detector. it's also a kind of schrodinger's box. As long as nobody was there to observe him, cooper oscillated between existence and non existence, disappearing for good once the observer returned

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He was being observed, though, by the cameras.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CJacobs posted:

He was being observed, though, by the cameras.

Except he wasn't picked up by them ;) Only the creature was visible, and even then only barely.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
The cameras were not capable of doing it on their own, yeah. Seems related to cooper catching Jeffries on the security camera in FWWM. If he hadn't had his vision and didn't run to catch himself on the monitor, Jeffries wouldn't have been recorded either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheMaestroso posted:

Except he wasn't picked up by them ;) Only the creature was visible, and even then only barely.

oh poo poo you're right

CJacobs posted:

LYNCH IS A GENIUS :byodood:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

quadpus posted:

The cameras were not capable of doing it on their own, yeah. Seems related to cooper catching Jeffries on the security camera in FWWM. If he hadn't had his vision and didn't run to catch himself on the monitor, Jeffries wouldn't have been recorded either.

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

quadpus posted:

David Lynch detected.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Hehe. I've been a huge fan since halfway thru the original airing of S1. I think I gave up completely on TV for like 5 years after it got cancelled.

I never imagined we'd get this, and how perfect it would be.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

quadpus posted:

Hehe. I've been a huge fan since halfway thru the original airing of S1. I think I gave up completely on TV for like 5 years after it got cancelled.

I never imagined we'd get this, and how perfect it would be.

Did you shitpost about Twin Peaks on Usenet back in the day

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
You know, I probably did

e: gently caress, I think I did it on the local dialup bbs, before I went to college

quadpus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 7, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
shitposter eternal

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lovely and chrome

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

quadpus posted:

You seriously blew my mind with this.

There's also the fact that my uncle is a conceptual artist (who always reminded me of Lynch oddly) who built his career in part on doing things with video and two-way mirror - or combining things like two connected rooms with a one-way mirror so you watch people watching themselves on a monitor in the second room while you're in the first room, and when you go into the second room you watch yourself observing other people on delayed video monitors while people who are walking into the first room watch you.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Really good new interview with Kyle here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-star-kyle-maclachlan-promises-everything-will-make-sense-1019076

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That is good! The linked interview to Robert Broski is pretty great too, if you haven't read - he sounds like a really nice good-humored guy!

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i need more tp

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Turdfuzz posted:

i need more tp
Well then boy are you (and I) in for a treat tomorrow night :dance:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
3 ply quilted

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I feel like DoppelCoop after going two whole weeks without a single kernel of Garmonbozia :geno:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i need twin peaks

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I told some people I liked Twin Peaks and they said I should check out the shows Fortitude and Carnivale. Would you recommend them?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

I told some people I liked Twin Peaks and they said I should check out the shows Fortitude and Carnivale. Would you recommend them?

Carnivale is cool. It's no twin peaks, but then what is

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm twin peaks

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kurtofan posted:

I'm twin peaks

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

I feel like DoppelCoop after going two whole weeks without a single kernel of Garmonbozia :geno:

I've neeb talking backwards to summon the new episode early.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I've had that dumb smile for the past three hours.

Okay, so I met Michael Horse today. He was having an event at an indigenous art store in the bay area selling his jewelry and paintings. The only people there were him, his wife, and the people who run the store, so we got to basically shoot the poo poo with Hawk for 20 minutes; he told us a bunch of stories. He signed my copy of Secret History. :allears: He's also the nicest guy in the world - very sweet.

Various things he told us:

- The place he stayed in LA for the new season's premiere was no different than the lovely loft he lived in there during the '70s, but with a big price tag and a pretentious room service menu ("asparagus drizzled in oils"), because hipsters, and that he wanted to smack 'em.
- He fishes sometimes near a restaurant on the ocean in my fiancé's home town, which blew her mind profusely.
- He was grateful that he got to say goodbye to Catherine Coulson. He's known her since the 70s, and it was very meaningful to him.
- Jack Nance apparently would explain to him what the things in Eraserhead and other Lynch films meant. :allears: Jack also gave him a copy of Eraserhead (or something related) and signed "Figured it out yet?"
- He has a lot of fans of his who watched Walker Texas Ranger, which amuses him a lot. At the time he figured that it was such a crappy show that he didn't have to worry if he acted crappy ("poo poo-proof acting").
- "You know, white people like to collect native art. I collect white people art." Examples include a John Wayne doll (which prompted the start of his collection), one of Jennifer Tilly's bras, an Osmond family picture ("pre-Donny,"), and a picture with Florence Henderson (he asked her to write on the back "I'll never forget that night" as a joke).
- He's very amused by how much more people on Instagram like his cat Carlos more than, for example, a picture of him meeting Angela Davis. He loves that cat, which was a rescue that cost him $3500 to take care of medical issues.
- His paintings are mainly done on old reservation documents, and it's really cool stuff. Beautiful work, and pretty profound. He had prints of a couple works: one was about fighting the Black Snake (a mythical story, but relating to the current events of pipeline construction) and the other was on a facsimile of the Constitution's Preamble (solid commentary). He told us this style was similar to an old tradition of painting on leather hides. Here's the Black Snake one:

Twin Peaks stuff:

- He said that Twin Peaks fans are some of the smartest and best fans around.
- Reading through Secret History and coming across the stuff about Jack Parsons, Hubbard, and so on, he called up Mark Frost to ask him if any of that was based on fact. He was astounded to be told that it was. Not only that, but he went on to tell me that he actually met L. Ron Hubbard once in a party in the '70s. When talking to Hubbard, he could immediately tell the guy was a con-man, because he learned how to recognize grifters working with carnies as a youth.
- A lot of people came out of retirement to work on The Return (behind-the-scenes people, mainly)
- When he first heard about The Return happening, he was surprised and a bit sad because Lynch hadn't contacted him about it. Soon after, he gets a call from Lynch saying, "We're getting the gang back together!" The rest is history.
- He would have been happy with just a cameo, but he got much more of a part than he expected (and grateful for it).
- After he mentioned the tradition of painting hides, he told us that Hawk has one of those kinds of hides that plays an important role in the new season. I immediately connected that to the hide in Secret History, and he smiled when I mentioned it.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 8, 2017

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Fuckin' awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Thanks for the cool Hawk story.