Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

"quality of life changes on a decade year old game? What a terrible decision."

- Hiromichi Tanaka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

What games in general wouldn't benefit from being 4x faster?

Speed Chess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tae posted:

I mean FF12 is already criticized for essentially playing itself with the gambit system. Having 4x speed just seems like doubling down even further on that, which is a weird thing to market the game on to me.

butt hort
May 6, 2007
i awake covered in snot dreamt i swallowed my teeth and tried to cough them up

Raxivace posted:

I mean FF12 is already criticized for essentially playing itself with the gambit system. Having 4x speed just seems like doubling down even further on that, which is a weird thing to market the game on to me.

If you're grinding for levels/items and you have a gambit system that works, then there's no need to sit through battles greater than 30 seconds to confirm what you already know. IMO, any sort of speed up in games where grinding is a big part of is incredibly welcomed. Being able to increase the speed of battles and increase/decrease the encounter rate made me play Bravely Default for more than I usually do for RPGs nowadays.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Tae posted:

I had to put up with playing 30-40 hours in that slow speed just last year: it's not fair.

Now everyone will try to act like the dumb game is better than it is because you can fast forward through it at 4X.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Andrast posted:

F-Zero GX

Here's a game that's exactly as fast as it needs to be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The speedup feature is nice I guess but I would rather see more of P4G's difficulty customization.

Do any other JRPGs have that? ( random I know)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

The speedup feature is nice I guess but I would rather see more of P4G's difficulty customization.

Do any other JRPGs have that? ( random I know)

I remember distinctly I think Grandia games doing that but only on New Game+?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff12 isn't good

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I played BoF4 on ePSXe and always 2x the speed during battles. Sometimes when walking around. I wish there was a greater than 2x speedup option, I'm sure there is. It seemed to just increase fps from the standard 30 to 60.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

almost any puzzle game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

lightning returns

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Raxivace posted:

It's literally the single defining aspect of the game's battle system

The speedup also works everywhere else, not just in battle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Will the voices in the zodiac age still sound like they were recorded in a tin can?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently they fixed that, I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean hell, I've been using fast-forward in older RPGs since ZSNES added it in as a feature. It's an excellent option.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Is FFXII ever coming to PC? I made it halfway through when it came out and then bought a Xbox 360 and never touched my PS2 stuff again until I gave it to a friend.

Console exclusives are stupid :mad:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Probably

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm really glad that they're actually improving on the original game for FF12 instead of just making an upscaled port with unskippable cutscenes like FF10.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gologle posted:

As someone who has played the International version, that just looks like the International version's fast forward. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but somebody in this thread said they were improving it by making it go even faster. I'm drawing from memory here instead of recent experience, but that looks the be the same speed.

You can pick between 2x and 4x

I think International only had 2x

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah it's probably a option menu toggle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dramatika posted:

Is FFXII ever coming to PC? I made it halfway through when it came out and then bought a Xbox 360 and never touched my PS2 stuff again until I gave it to a friend.

Buy a console it's the 21st century

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you love jrpgs or rpgs in general, it is by far the best time to own a ps4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It would've been neat to have the XII remaster on Vita

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

It would've been neat to have the XII remaster on Vita

I

I've get bad news for you...

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dramatika posted:

They might have a timed exclusivity deal with Sony so that it comes to the PC later. The FFX remake ran on Sony's PhyreEngine and came to the PC two years after its original release.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

I

I've get bad news for you...

Remote Play isn't that bad.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Lol if you think 4x speed being an improvement is a sign of a quality game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My DVD player has a fast-forward button, so why not my video game player?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

gigglefeimer posted:

Almost anyone who plays old rpgs in emulators windmill slams the fast forward hot key asap so why not make that an actual feature.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't imagine playing FF5 without frameskip and that game owns

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

Good thing that literally nobody said that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gigglefeimer posted:

Times have changed bub

Also does it have to be a "quality game" ? Its fun who loving cares. Silly no true Scotsman argument.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

Also does it have to be a "quality game" ? Its fun who loving cares. Silly no true Scotsman argument.

it's not

if i'm gonna make a mountain of lovely if-else statements, i better at least be getting paid for it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gambit
1 ON Foe: calling FFXII bad - Attack

e: 2 ON Ally: calling FFXIII good - heal :twisted:

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 8, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fast forward in battles was a thing in World of Final Fantasy, and that was a great feature. They added the fast sail in the Wind Waker remaster, which significantly improved the quality of life of that game. Fast forward should be in every remake.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really glad that they're actually improving on the original game for FF12 instead of just making an upscaled port with unskippable cutscenes like FF10.

On top of that, soft reset takes you back to the menu of FFX/X-2 remastered rather than the menu of the game you were playing. So that means when I'm trying to optimize my blitzball winnings, I have to reload all of FFX instead.

The FFX remaster was pretty poor in terms of new features.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zaphod42 posted:

Times have changed bub

Tell me about it.

One of my all-time favorite games has really dumb simple combat, easily missable content (albeit you get New Game Plus), ridiculously underdocumented game mechanics, and has no plot to speak of. Games can have some big flaws and still shrine strongly enough in other areas for the right people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The bad thing about the FF9 mobile port is that there's little chance of yet another remaster to actually add in a fast-forward button.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

The bad thing about the FF9 mobile port is that there's little chance of yet another remaster to actually add in a fast-forward button.

why? the steam port has a button that makes it run at like 200fps without affecting the music speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You need at least x4 or x8 for that game