Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I could have sworn that I saw a study disproving it. But sadly I stand corrected. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
IIRC the correlation is there for physical/emotional abuse (and vice versa where an abused child is more likely to grow up and get into relationships where they're being abused) but not sexual abuse.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just saw this recent BBC News/Home Office simulated nuclear war broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZ3LGfSMhA

The whole thing is unnerving but the last ten minutes are sleepless nights material.

I'm quoting this just so anyone who hasn't seen it, will.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's sort of funny that people at home with stock footage, some friends, and a copy of Premiere are now remaking Special Bulletin and Countdown to Looking Glass at a higher quality level than the original

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Any more caving stories?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclear War posted:

Any more caving stories?

I saw a cave stab a man to death in front of his family

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Interesting that they edit the title of it every day to reflect the current day. It was "Live breaking news July 3rd" last time, now it's "Live breaking news July 8th".

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
I'm just waiting for it to hit Facebook and treated as real.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
For those of you that dislike Sword and Scale, here's a little giggle.

It turns out that Mike Boudet is a real piece of poo poo and has a history of being a bit scammy.

http://www.weirdshitpodcast.net/episodes/scams-sword-scams/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nuclear War posted:

Any more caving stories?

Have you heard of the forefather of all creepypastas, Ted the Caver?

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

It's a pretty fun read even after so many years.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

steinrokkan posted:

Have you heard of the forefather of all creepypastas, Ted the Caver?

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

It's a pretty fun read even after so many years.

Good read, that was pretty creepy. The lack of updates is a nice touch.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hah, I remember sitting in my college dorm room and reading that probably not too long after it was created. I don't think I've seen it in more than a decade, and I figured it was gone forever, but holy crap Angelfire is still a thing...

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Good read, that was pretty creepy. The lack of updates is a nice touch.

Because regular caving isn't horrible enough....

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Brainbread posted:

Because regular caving isn't horrible enough....

Underground river/cavern mapping expeditions. Better hope it doesn't rain while you are 1-2 days deep in the cave!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My cousin mapped cenotes in Quintana Roo for over a decade. I'm a very experienced diver, but cave diving? No loving way. I said no every time he invited me to come along.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, stories like these still haunt me, a land lobber, years after reading about them -
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/How-a-cave-diver-filmed-his-own-death/2005/01/14/1105582714674.html - a diver makes a record descent to the body of a fellow diver, his equipment becomes entangled with the corpse, and he drowns while recording his death on camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4iFJ-G74o - video with narration explaining what was happening and what went wrong

Drowning in the total darkness of an underwater cavern, quite literally in the embrace of a dead man, that is just existentially terrifying.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo, message on a slate.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My cousin mapped cenotes in Quintana Roo for over a decade. I'm a very experienced diver, but cave diving? No loving way. I said no every time he invited me to come along.

Yeah I had a professor who had under water archaeology as his focus and did that. You can see cool poo poo (they found a giant sloth skeleton along a cenote wall) but there are points that are basically miniature Blue Holes and you just don't gently caress with those.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah I had a professor who had under water archaeology as his focus and did that. You can see cool poo poo (they found a giant sloth skeleton along a cenote wall) but there are points that are basically miniature Blue Holes and you just don't gently caress with those.

You're not real, you're just a background character in a Call Of Chutulu scenario

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

That giant sloth should have taken better diving equipment and read up more about the area before trying to dive that cave. It's sad, but it was totally avoidable and it deserves all the criticism it gets.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

That giant sloth should have taken better diving equipment and read up more about the area before trying to dive that cave. It's sad, but it was totally avoidable and it deserves all the criticism it gets.

Ironically it surfaced too fast and died of the bends.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
As far as I'm concerned fat man's squeezes and cave diving may as well be hell. I grew up in an area with a lot of caves and visited them often, but never had any desire to go any deeper than necessary. Caves might seem relatively static and non-threatening, but people vastly underestimate the dangers of being in a desolate, dark place with no light or guides back out.

On the unnerving article front, you know what else is fun? We as humans each have a unique, personal sense of time, and while we're usually somewhat inaccurate, most of us can keep to a regular schedule even if we're locked away from natural light or time pressures. However, that ability only lasts for so long.

http://www.sciencealert.com/experiments-show-that-humans-can-sleep-for-days-when-living-alone-underground posted:

Take cave explorers Josie Laures and Antoine Senni, for example, who lived underground for months in the 1960s. When they emerged from their self-imposed solitude (having stayed in separate caves), both thought much less time had passed than was actually the case, to the tune of several weeks.

What's more, Senni would sometimes sleep for stretches of 30 hours at a time, then wake up believing he'd just had a short nap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Siffre posted:

Yet again, the Texas cave experiment yielded interesting results. For the first month, Siffre had fallen into regular sleep-wake cycles that were slightly longer than 24 hours. But after that, his cycles began varying randomly, ranging from 18 to 52 hours.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3997587 with my apologies for this one only being an abstract posted:

RESULTS:
The 1-h estimates were longer than 1 h, and had a strong positive correlation with the duration of wakefulness alpha as well as with the length of the circadian cycle. The short time estimates were equally distributed between under- and over-estimation of the required interval, and they were neither correlated with the 1-h estimates nor with alpha. It is concluded that long and short time estimates are based on different mechanisms.

Basically, multiple experiments have been conducted that pretty consistently show that people who are shut away underground experience a shift in their perception of time and in the length of their sleeping cycles, sometimes sleeping for as much as 48 hours at a single stretch. Some people report a feeling that time is passing slower, even as their '24 hour day' stretches out into 36 hours, 48 hours, or longer, based on how long they've been away from daylight cues. In some experiments, subjects discovered that many more days or even weeks had passed than they had perceived. It's an interesting effect, although unsurprisingly, it doesn't seem to be much fun to experience...

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

As far as I'm concerned fat man's squeezes and cave diving may as well be hell. I grew up in an area with a lot of caves and visited them often, but never had any desire to go any deeper than necessary. Caves might seem relatively static and non-threatening, but people vastly underestimate the dangers of being in a desolate, dark place with no light or guides back out.

On the unnerving article front, you know what else is fun? We as humans each have a unique, personal sense of time, and while we're usually somewhat inaccurate, most of us can keep to a regular schedule even if we're locked away from natural light or time pressures. However, that ability only lasts for so long.

Basically, multiple experiments have been conducted that pretty consistently show that people who are shut away underground experience a shift in their perception of time and in the length of their sleeping cycles, sometimes sleeping for as much as 48 hours at a single stretch. Some people report a feeling that time is passing slower, even as their '24 hour day' stretches out into 36 hours, 48 hours, or longer, based on how long they've been away from daylight cues. In some experiments, subjects discovered that many more days or even weeks had passed than they had perceived. It's an interesting effect, although unsurprisingly, it doesn't seem to be much fun to experience...

drat, I have a panic attack if I have to spend 45 minutes in an MRI machine. I can't imagine going into a cave that I can't even turn around in. Don't even talk to me about cave diving.

I guess I'm not the only one who has psychological issues with this. I remember back in the 80s, a woman spent 111 days in a cave without a clock, natural light, or information on current issues, setting a world record. It didn't end well.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12517011-900-death-of-cave-research-woman/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MightyJoe36 posted:

a woman spent 111 days in a cave without a clock

My eyes are tired and I read this as "without a dick" and I was like wow, brave

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
All this talk about cave diving reminded me of this story.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

All this talk about cave diving reminded me of this story.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

I had a feeling it was that story. Like spelunking into small holes, I just don't understand the mindset behind doing this kind of stuff.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

My eyes are tired and I read this as "without a dick" and I was like wow, brave

New Scientist posted:

She described herself at one point as being ‘psychologically completely out of phase, where I no longer know what my values are or what is my purpose in life’.

Checks out. :quagmire:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I did some marine conservation work in Quintana Roo in 2007 and went on a cavern diver course in the cenotes. It remains one of the best experiences of my life, just honestly incredible.

Especially when we were accidentally led down a new line by our instructor and ended up in a cave where we could only go single file. Our instructor realised after a few minutes and got us all to turn around, kicking up silt and dust and making the visibility go crazy low. We surfaced in a cavern and the first thing the instructor said was, "So uh... how'd you like your little cave dive there then?". I'm not even being sarcastic when I say I absolutely loved it. It's just another world down there. The caverns themselves have such amazingly clear waters. At one point we all turned off our flashlights and just waited there, underwater in the pitch blackness. Such an eerie moment.

This sign gets posted a lot, it's from the Dos Ojos cenote where I did the diving:

We got to go up and read it in person, the creepiest thing about it though is the physical pull that you feel from it, the water rushing into the cave system itself. If you just let the current take you, you'd rather quickly get pulled into the caves most likely not to return. It was almost like being on the top of a waterfall looking down. Just let go, stop swimming and fighting the current and you'd disappear forever.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

I did some marine conservation work in Quintana Roo in 2007 and went on a cavern diver course in the cenotes. It remains one of the best experiences of my life, just honestly incredible.

Especially when we were accidentally led down a new line by our instructor and ended up in a cave where we could only go single file. Our instructor realised after a few minutes and got us all to turn around, kicking up silt and dust and making the visibility go crazy low. We surfaced in a cavern and the first thing the instructor said was, "So uh... how'd you like your little cave dive there then?". I'm not even being sarcastic when I say I absolutely loved it. It's just another world down there. The caverns themselves have such amazingly clear waters. At one point we all turned off our flashlights and just waited there, underwater in the pitch blackness. Such an eerie moment.

This sign gets posted a lot, it's from the Dos Ojos cenote where I did the diving:

We got to go up and read it in person, the creepiest thing about it though is the physical pull that you feel from it, the water rushing into the cave system itself. If you just let the current take you, you'd rather quickly get pulled into the caves most likely not to return. It was almost like being on the top of a waterfall looking down. Just let go, stop swimming and fighting the current and you'd disappear forever.

This post did not make cave diving seem less horrifying

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm late to the podcast chat, but I have a request: does anyone know of a true crime podcast that is narrated in straight journalistic fashion? I'm a big fan of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, and I would love to listen to a true crime podcast with a similar tone, but all the ones recommended in this thread seem to be kind of the opposite. I don't like jokes, I don't like banter, I don't like wild speculation, I don't like sound effects and I don't like actual audio recordings (partly because I listen at work and anything that isn't straight narration is too distracting). I just like hearing a person telling the story.

Basically if you're a fan of LPOTL or SAS and you know of a podcast that made you go "well, this would be an interesting topic but I'm bored to tears of the guy droning on about the details of the case," please recommend it to me, TIA.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

I'm late to the podcast chat, but I have a request: does anyone know of a true crime podcast that is narrated in straight journalistic fashion? I'm a big fan of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, and I would love to listen to a true crime podcast with a similar tone, but all the ones recommended in this thread seem to be kind of the opposite. I don't like jokes, I don't like banter, I don't like wild speculation, I don't like sound effects and I don't like actual audio recordings (partly because I listen at work and anything that isn't straight narration is too distracting). I just like hearing a person telling the story.

Basically if you're a fan of LPOTL or SAS and you know of a podcast that made you go "well, this would be an interesting topic but I'm bored to tears of the guy droning on about the details of the case," please recommend it to me, TIA.

I'd be interested in this as well.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pookel posted:

Breakdown, In The Dark and Stranglers are really good and clearly made by actual journalists. In The Dark is particularly good. Criminal is good too but very short and the topics are very varied. From small to big crimes and very intimate. Usually not big cases but personal stories told by the people who lived them.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jul 10, 2017

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

pookel posted:

Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder might be what you're looking for. The entire thing is about one case, but it's a pretty singular one. And, I notice, the second series is running at the moment...

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

pookel posted:

Casefile might be up your alley. It actually threw me at first because the guy who does it puts none of his personality into it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

effervescible posted:

Casefile might be up your alley. It actually threw me at first because the guy who does it puts none of his personality into it.

I was going to recommend this as well. The guy is a good narrator and doesn't editorialize, and since he's Australian, a fair number of the cases aren't ones that I was familiar with, though he does cover a lot from the U.S.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Listening to Casefile now. This is great, thanks guys.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
You might like Crimetown as well. It's only got one season, but it's pretty straight-laced and follows the criminal history of the city, rather than a particular crime. Season 1 was about Providence.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I gave a couple a try recently...Generation Why is fairly sober and straightforward. Thinking Sideways is one of the worst podcasts I've ever listened to. Whoever the woman is has one of the worst cases of "well, actually" ever and the two guys don't seem to know, or care about much of anything.

Love + Radio and Here Be Monsters have both been reliably great, and have quite a few episodes I'd call unnerving. Any more recommendations in this vein?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aphex- posted:

Did you get trained by Sam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's some caves not far from me at a place called Ginnie Springs, and there's been quite a few fatalities over the years. Couldn't pay me to go into those death traps.