Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

I started rewatching the series as a result, and boy howdy I forgot how much of a creeper Ryouko was to Hibiki as well. And the part where Genjurou defeats Tsubasa's largest sword with one punch.

I am glad some of the creepier/pervier elements of season 1 have vanished into the ether. The tone is much better now.

Though, I do miss when Genjurou would do things....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well it's only been one episode, maybe he will later. And I hope the moon gets a pasting this season.

Also I am glad Symphogear is back. It just kicks rear end. I am glad the first episode went for something a little different, it wasn't gonna top the season 3 opening doing the same thing and I think it worked pretty well. Hibiki was the best, as usual.

Also also I dunno if it has a name or something but I will always appreciate the "open both helicopter side doors and let the missile go through" gag.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Eela6 posted:

I am glad some of the creepier/pervier elements of season 1 have vanished into the ether. The tone is much better now.

Though, I do miss when Genjurou would do things....

Season 1 definitely felt "darker". Hell, we have people being dissolved in the very first episode. I kind of miss that tone, but I love the goofy fun we have now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/883709903587524609
https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/883710189924343808

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved the "good thing we showed them that anti tank movie" line and that makes it ten times better

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/883723281144045568

I absolutely love that Hibiki, Tsubasa, Chris, and Maria all have super intense training sessions while Kirika and Shirabe are out rollerblading and running.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Almost didn't notice it's Ogawa training Mira. Speaking of Ogawa, glad to see him getting some time in this season so far, he always felt a little under utilized since G.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/883723281144045568

I absolutely love that Hibiki, Tsubasa, Chris, and Maria all have super intense training sessions while Kirika and Shirabe are out rollerblading and running.
really intrigued by the kirika/hibiki combo attack. wonder if they're going to give those two some interactions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is Maria's apparent particle cannon new or did she have that in GX? I forget. Either way, her symphogear attacks are rising up the cool list, though Chris is still at the top.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

chumbler posted:

Is Maria's apparent particle cannon new or did she have that in GX? I forget. Either way, her symphogear attacks are rising up the cool list, though Chris is still at the top.

Closest thing I can think of is HORIZON†SPEAR from G, but that was Gungnir.

I think I like Maria's attack cards best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

really intrigued by the kirika/hibiki combo attack. wonder if they're going to give those two some interactions.

I hope so, she's really the only character Hibiki hasn't really had a lot of development with. Looks like they had Tsubasa and Shirabe working together as well. It'd be neat if they put some focus on some of the less explored character dynamics this season.

chumbler posted:

Chris definitely has the best names and Maria has the coolest symphogear but Hibiki has a rocket punch so I dunno man. I dunno.

E: Also that might be my favourite opening so far. Though maybe G's still edges it out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Season 1 definitely felt "darker". Hell, we have people being dissolved in the very first episode. I kind of miss that tone, but I love the goofy fun we have now.

People get dissolved pretty horribly in the first episode of AXZ! I was really surprised when I saw it because the Noise have been pretty much joke mooks for so long that I had actually almost forgotten that they're 100% instantly and totally lethal to non-Gears.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You actually see people getting dissolved by noise all the time in G and GX, though? :confused:

Yeah, they're unnamed military personnel, but still...

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Julias posted:

You actually see people getting dissolved by noise all the time in G and GX, though? :confused:

People get dissolved, but take the first episode of AXZ, there's a blast and a bunch of guys disappear in red mist, hedgehog Noise swiftly buzz saws through two dude. First episode of the original series we have a close up of a woman dissolving while crying about how she doesn't want to die.

There's a bit of tonal difference between the two scenes. First time watching Symphogear I was ready for this to be a way darker series overall.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
On the occasional dark tone, forgive me if this was discussed earlier, I couldn't find it, I'm a little unclear about something from the end of GX, which I finished rewatching like just a day or two before AXZ started. Didn't a SHITLOAD of people die to the dissection or was that an animation error/change on the blurays? Like Dr. Ver does his thing, the beams retract and all the BUILDINGS come back but nobody's inside which makes it seem like...it couldn't reconstitute anything living. But everyone acts like "Oh, Dr. Ver saved the day entirely, everything's all right now". Like, did everyone just decide to gloss over the fact that Carol killed probably hundreds of millions of people, depending on how many cities were actually in the path?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Julias posted:

Yeah but said scenes in G and GX more....cartoony, I guess is the word, than the scene in episode 1 of season 1.

Season 1 just feels different from the rest of the series. Heck, the very first scene is a rainy funeral, while every other season has had a badass action sequence as an opening scene.

EDIT: Scratch that, G had a pretty disturbing opener.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 9, 2017

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah but said scenes in G and GX more....cartoony, I guess is the word, than the scene in episode 1 of season 1.

Season 1 just feels different from the rest of the series. Heck, the very first scene is a rainy funeral, while every other season has had a badass action sequence as an opening scene.

EDIT: Scratch that, G had a pretty disturbing opener.

Really, I just miss the Symphogears being dangerous to the users in some way and the comically copious amounts of blood and/or violence/rage that resulted from that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGtgZTDO6U

Compare that to the scenes where the other characters get LiNKER'd up in later seasons. Granted, the introduction of the safer chems did give us Dr. Ver, so... I suppose it's a wash overall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lobsterman posted:

On the occasional dark tone, forgive me if this was discussed earlier, I couldn't find it, I'm a little unclear about something from the end of GX, which I finished rewatching like just a day or two before AXZ started. Didn't a SHITLOAD of people die to the dissection or was that an animation error/change on the blurays? Like Dr. Ver does his thing, the beams retract and all the BUILDINGS come back but nobody's inside which makes it seem like...it couldn't reconstitute anything living. But everyone acts like "Oh, Dr. Ver saved the day entirely, everything's all right now". Like, did everyone just decide to gloss over the fact that Carol killed probably hundreds of millions of people, depending on how many cities were actually in the path?
im not sure on the blu-rays but it definitely feels like the living people were supposed to come back just based on common sense. like for one thing the city they're in still has a population in the post-gx ovas/axz, so.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
That's a good point, I seem to have glossed over the fact that they were ground zero for the Chateau.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Symphogear is not a stupid show, but it is a show that generally responds to questions like that with "hey man don't sweat the details so much."

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I mean, I wasn't trying to sweat the details, it was just that the scene where the building reappears but now there's no people in it felt very deliberate, so I just kinda went "Either they're showing how tragic this still is, or it was supposed to show everything's okay now but they used the wrong frame" :shobon:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
In the blu-rays the people also re-materialize.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's a bonus feature.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Buy the blu-rays to save humanity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Interesting quote from aoi yuuki, speaking of S1's tone differences.

https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/884287412100255745

I think it'd have to be two movies to fit everything in, and I wouldn't want them to make S1's tone closer to the later stuff perse, but there's definitely some rough edges that a rewrite could fix. Plus it'd be nice to have S1 with the newer artstyle/better animation consistency.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Season 1 is still probably my favourite season (even if it also had my least favourite scenes and a couple kinda weak episodes) so i'd be down with a movie to fix a lot of the bigger issues. It's smaller main cast is probably better for a movie as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's funny because even though S1 is really, really tonally different than the other seasons I still really like it a lot and think it being grimmer and sadder makes a lot of sense. The first two gears were Kanade and Tsubasa, both of whom were fantastically broken people in their own right - Kanade becoming a gear through a combination of jury-rigged LiNKER and bloody-minded devotion to vengeance against the Noise, Tsubasa a roiling bundle of family issues dependent on Kanade to function as a person. Kanade's death leaves Tsubasa alone in the world with no outlet for her personal problems, so she basically shuts off entirely and decides to become an emotionless weapon because it's way easier and less painful than dealing with her problems. The introduction of Hibiki to the mix pretty much slowly drags the rest of the cast out of the grimdark and into the happier and sillier style of Symphogear that we know today.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay i think this show finally, really, has found its footing. The first 3 seasons, there was always an imperfection to the sheen. From the grimdarkness of S1, the penchant for plot twists in S2, the meandering of S3, there was always something holding Symphogear back from true greatness. And now the show has found it, perfect blend of absurdity and character.

It helps that the show looks loving great, not an off model moment to be seen.

Also, I'm just waiting for a hilariously tasteless moment where count up all 6 million jews who died in the holocaust for Hitler and Val Verde's magic ritual.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also lmao that they admitted that the Bavarian Illuminati finally engineered the destruction of the United States.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope the eventual specials contain the adventures of pirate Fine.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

From a design-reflecting-character angle, it's kind of neat that Maria doesn't get a colour like the other 'gear users. Everyone else dresses to match their costume like a frikin' power ranger, but Maria usually wears blue or white vs her pale grey armour (or black/orange, I guess). Even her little uniform cravat is a dark purple-grey colour, that doesn't really match her armour.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Phobophilia posted:

Okay i think this show finally, really, has found its footing. The first 3 seasons, there was always an imperfection to the sheen. From the grimdarkness of S1, the penchant for plot twists in S2, the meandering of S3, there was always something holding Symphogear back from true greatness. And now the show has found it, perfect blend of absurdity and character.

It helps that the show looks loving great, not an off model moment to be seen.

Also, I'm just waiting for a hilariously tasteless moment where count up all 6 million jews who died in the holocaust for Hitler and Val Verde's magic ritual.

Yeah, this is awesome. The characterization is solid, the spectacle is ALL THE WAY, & the action finally feels good, too. There's a sense of momentum and urgency that wasn't there before. The Symphogears aren't just sitting around waiting for their opponents to use their strongest attacks; they're actively trying to take control of the conflict.

Even the music is better than usual! I like the simple John Carpenter style synthwork they're using for some of the incidental background music.

It's cool that Symphogear has really come into it's own.

chumbler posted:

I hope the eventual specials contain the adventures of pirate Fine.

Phobophilia posted:

Also lmao that they admitted that the Bavarian Illuminati finally engineered the destruction of the United States.

:same:

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 10, 2017

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think it's a little early to say anything about characterization. I don't know anything about the villains yet. And the BGM is usually transferred between seasons, like they used the dope plaintive instrumental of Chris's song from S1 while she was despairing about the kid's leg. I do agree that the animation was great, but it was like that in the first few eps of G And GX too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Having just watched the specials last night, I'm hoping this season is more focused on Maria and Chris, which seems likely so far. I'm liking Maria's really varied attacks as well.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think it's a little early to say anything about characterization.

Maria is double extra cute so far :c00lbert:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wonder how ready for a spin-off season 5 the FIS trio are. Or if Season 5 ends up being a 2nd part for AXZ for more characterization and conflict, I think that would be great, too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think I dropped the original Symphogear after one or two episodes and I have no idea why because Hibiki is now my favorite magical girl. :black101:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

I think I dropped the original Symphogear after one or two episodes and I have no idea why because Hibiki is now my favorite magical girl. :black101:

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNoxSA/status/884544923420307456

:kamina:

Also, I really really really like the new ED. Seconding the hope for more Maria/Chris spotlight as we go forward. Also hope we take a bit of a break from the action sooner than later, these first two eps have been almost wall to wall punchyfists. drat good punchyfists, mind, but I like slice of life Symphogear too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best part of this episode was pirate fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Oh my gooood I am so even more hype now. So hype my eyes are watering.

Maria good.

FIS crew good.

Antagonists good so far.

ED good.

Everything good.

Fist 1, reason 0.

Don't let me symphodown symphogear.

Endorph posted:

best part of this episode was pirate fine
That entire sequence was kind of hilarious.

• Locked thread