Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well how about that. I figured 75,000 would be the limit. Also god drat. And ugh. Well on the plus side it may well not sell out again until another notable anniversary event...unless, you know, those extra 15,000 people have an amazing time and want to come back, but what are the odds of that? Oh...100%. Right. Crap. Suddenly I am even more interested in staying a volunteer.

I Might Be Adam posted:

I just bought 2 single day passes for thurs/friday because I waited too long but if I buy event tickets for something on Friday night (which i'll have a badge for) and it runs into Saturday morning, will I have any problems with not having a Saturday badge?
Maybe. We are in uncharted territory here. Just hope nobody comes through checking badges. I have only seen it once, but I also have only been playing in a tabletop game that crossed the Midnight border once, but a dude definitely wandered into our gaming room and checked everyone's badges. Made extra-delightful by the fact that our GM did not have a badge as it was a huge multi-table game and he had just popped over to help run the game or something and suddenly we had no GM. But having no badge is a touch harder to talk your way out of than being in a game that started on a day you did have one.

Maybe the fact that there is no such thing as a Wednesday badge but there are events then could be illustrative for your situation though? Hard to say.

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, I am anticipating it, but my wife wanted to turn it into a full family event. Recent conversation indicates she might be regretting her choice, but we will see. I was originally planning on going alone to participate in the 40K event.
So wait, you do have badges already? You worry me with talking about how you "plan" to come up for the weekend.

Edit: I was losing my mind reading this post on the Awful App trying to figure out why it would not show me the rest of the page no matter how many times I reloaded. Eventually I angrily went back a page and set the last post as "last read" and proudly nodded at the sage wisdom of my fix until I then looked again later :shobon:

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Doubt it, the only places they check the badges are the vendor hall and the exhibit halls

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Dr. Quarex posted:

So wait, you do have badges already? You worry me with talking about how you "plan" to come up for the weekend.

Yeah, I already have badges.

Just trying to figure out what is worth our time. The Costume contest seems a given, and we have a good idea of what kid stuff he will enjoy. I might just go linger at the 40k finalist tables and see what everyone is playing, and that my be the extent of it.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 7, 2017

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Is there anyway to transfer badges?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So my buddy procrastinated on getting a 4-day badge does the sellout mean he's screwed?

EDIT: Ok yeah I think he's screwed.

So... I might have an open bed now in my room it's a double/double downtown at Sheraton City Center. Anyone interested?

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 7, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Maybe. We are in uncharted territory here. Just hope nobody comes through checking badges. I have only seen it once, but I also have only been playing in a tabletop game that crossed the Midnight border once, but a dude definitely wandered into our gaming room and checked everyone's badges. Made extra-delightful by the fact that our GM did not have a badge as it was a huge multi-table game and he had just popped over to help run the game or something and suddenly we had no GM. But having no badge is a touch harder to talk your way out of than being in a game that started on a day you did have one.

EDIT: BRAIN-FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART. Yeah, you had more important things last year.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 7, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well how about that. I figured 75,000 would be the limit. Also god drat. And ugh. Well on the plus side it may well not sell out again until another notable anniversary event...unless, you know, those extra 15,000 people have an amazing time and want to come back, but what are the odds of that? Oh...100%. Right. Crap. Suddenly I am even more interested in staying a volunteer.

Maybe the fact that there is no such thing as a Wednesday badge but there are events then could be illustrative for your situation though? Hard to say.

Edit: I was losing my mind reading this post on the Awful App trying to figure out why it would not show me the rest of the page no matter how many times I reloaded. Eventually I angrily went back a page and set the last post as "last read" and proudly nodded at the sage wisdom of my fix until I then looked again later :shobon:

I saw the badge checker once and there was something that kicked it off which escapes my memory

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Never seen a badge checker except at the exhibitor hall doors. I can't imagine you'd have an issue with a game running past midnight.

Funny related story, I forgot my Dice Tower Con badge yesterday and was never asked or checked for it once. They have no one posted at doors or anything. To the goons that are also here, if anyone wants to play Scythe, Kemet, Keyflower, or Millennium Blades this evening post here and we'll meet up.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I don't really recall anyone coming around checking badges (other than at entryways and such as mentioned), but I believe that, technically, GMs are supposed to be checking badges for everyone who presents a ticket. It's definitely hit-or-miss, because rarely would you even see someone wander in without a badge and try to get into an event. (Maybe that's more at the RPGs and stuff that tend to be in the hotels instead of the convention center.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Also snitches get stitches so theres that

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
A bar under the one of the hotels checked our badges but that was the only place outside of the norm that did.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Its pretty empty in the halls after midnight. I seriously doubt anyone would toss you until after 9 am the next day. But who knows.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Never seen a badge checker except at the exhibitor hall doors. I can't imagine you'd have an issue with a game running past midnight.

Funny related story, I forgot my Dice Tower Con badge yesterday and was never asked or checked for it once. They have no one posted at doors or anything. To the goons that are also here, if anyone wants to play Scythe, Kemet, Keyflower, or Millennium Blades this evening post here and we'll meet up.

I've been wanting to play Scythe so I'd be down.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've been wanting to play Scythe so I'd be down.

Cool, I have a table in the front of Grand Sierra, front row, 5 tables down from the production booth on the little stage in the corner. I'm wearing a dark blue shirt and grey hat, and I have a full beard. Come over any time and we'll get it going.

Edit: Getting dinner now and coming back

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 8, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Texibus posted:

Is there anyway to transfer badges?
No, and if you try the "give your badge to somebody else" you can technically be banned from Gen-Con, but of course there is always the caveat that nobody is entirely sure how anyone would find out barring you being snitched on by someone who knows that person and knows it is not you.

Huskalator posted:

So my buddy procrastinated on getting a 4-day badge does the sellout mean he's screwed?

So... I might have an open bed now in my room it's a double/double downtown at Sheraton City Center. Anyone interested?
I think he could still buy four one-day passes, which, as I always say, is worth it at any price

LuiCypher posted:

EDIT: BRAIN-FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART. Yeah, you had more important things last year.
I do not know what this was about but I appreciate you thinking of me eventually :3:

Froggycleric posted:

A bar under the one of the hotels checked our badges but that was the only place outside of the norm that did.
I think it was actually at the J.W. Marriott that the story I told about a post-Midnight badge-checker happened; now I wonder if it is possible that it was hotel security trying to weed out any sneakies attempting to hang out without earning it?

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
My events run past midnight, and as long as someone enters my event with a badge that is valid when it starts, all is good. I obviously can't speak for everyone, but that's the way it goes for mine

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Huskalator posted:

I'm looking to extricate myself from potential nerd drama involving a room, so yeah, I'd be interested. (I was never 100% committed, so I'm not leaving anybody in the lurch in case folks are wondering.)

As always, I'm willing to pay my share and generally make myself decent for at least the space of the con. Can provide references if necessary from folks I've stayed with before. When are you booked for? I usually aim to stay Wednesday through Saturday, but I figure it's best to check.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can confirm, ARB is a clean and quite roommate.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Shame I can't make it this year. It was nice meeting goons last year and even getting in a game of Millennium Blades with BL and ARB.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Most Recent Gen-Con E-Mail Blast posted:

Prefer to practice white hate gaming?
Oh boy. I eagerly look forward to the person who reads that and does not recognize it as an obvious typo. Or who reads a conspiracy into it!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Anniversary posted:

Shame I can't make it this year. It was nice meeting goons last year and even getting in a game of Millennium Blades with BL and ARB.

Oh hey I was at that game too. I was absolutely horrible at that game.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
This whole badge sellout thing may be an issue for me - i have a gm badge from TD and I'm just recently finding that i have to go somewhere for a training event during the gencon lead up (when i usually volunteer). Either I'm going to have to buy a bunch of one day passes or I'm gonna have to swing shifts during the con.
They're being super nice about it but man this year's gencon is shaping up to be an odd one.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Rad Valtar posted:

Oh hey I was at that game too. I was absolutely horrible at that game.

Oops. Sorry to not mention you. Other than that game the whole con was a blur of insane hours of work for me.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got my event tickets in the mail today. Have to pick up the badge on site though. Is GM will-call different from the standard one, or is it all the same line?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Did anyone get their badge yet?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Funzo posted:

Got my event tickets in the mail today. Have to pick up the badge on site though. Is GM will-call different from the standard one, or is it all the same line?

GM is different. It's in a room all by it's lonesome.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Backno posted:

GM is different. It's in a room all by it's lonesome.

Ok, good to know. I'm sure I'll be able to find it when I show up Wednesday.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Man, this is shaping up to be nuts, I'm getting super hyped.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Man, this is shaping up to be nuts, I'm getting super hyped.
I KNOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Torrent I apologize if I am outing you as the sort of person who might do something like this but I want to give you credit

But I may have used my Vive and Google Earth VR to fly over the Indianapolis Convention Center

And it was SO AMAZING

THERE IS LITERALLY NO HOPE FOR ME BEING A NORMAL PERSON

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I KNOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Torrent I apologize if I am outing you as the sort of person who might do something like this but I want to give you credit

But I may have used my Vive and Google Earth VR to fly over the Indianapolis Convention Center

And it was SO AMAZING

THERE IS LITERALLY NO HOPE FOR ME BEING A NORMAL PERSON

I checked out Christ the Redeemer, Zion National Park, and the Statue of Liberty (and pretending to smash apart Trump Tower) but yeah, the ICC would be cool too.

But yes, I can't wait for Gen Con!!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I too am becoming stoked.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I have lots of plans for GC50 but gently caress it I want to hang with goons.

Ninja edit: Zion is amazing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm demoing Flick Em Up each morning but the company got me a badge after event registration. Guess my schedule is beer and goon games every night (just like every year).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

WerrWaaa posted:

I have lots of plans for GC50 but gently caress it I want to hang with goons.

Ninja edit: Zion is amazing.

Sanding a hundred feet tall in the middle made me want to visit in real life.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I took a bunch of kids hiking through the Narrows and it was life changing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just got back from Arches, Canyonlands, and Petrified Forest NPs, doing Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef this fall. Hell yeah nature. Almost as good as board games.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I have some questions about the auction! I've had great luck selling RPG books in the past, but is it pretty good for video games too?

Also, do they mention the reserve when describing items in the auction? I have an older PS1 game that I'd rather not sell too cheap, but I'm concerned about setting the reserve price too high to start.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sionak posted:

I have some questions about the auction! I've had great luck selling RPG books in the past, but is it pretty good for video games too?

Also, do they mention the reserve when describing items in the auction? I have an older PS1 game that I'd rather not sell too cheap, but I'm concerned about setting the reserve price too high to start.
Yes and no. What kind of video games are you looking to unload? I can tell you as someone who specifically hunts for computer games at the Auction Store (and even Auction, though they rarely get put on the stage it seems) that every year there are big stacks of games for systems from Intellivision to XBox One when I first look at the stock on Thursday morning, and by Saturday evening it is basically just down to things priced way too high or things too boring for even retrogaming people like me to care about.

But, for example, I think I have bought 95% of all MS-DOS-era PC games sold at Gen-Con between 2006 and today, and it seems there are definitely other people there who go specifically to grow their collections quickly.

Thus unless you are trying to bilk some suckers into buying your crap at high prices, you should do well.

Reserves get mentioned 9 times out of 10 through the phrase "there is a reserve," and then they usually start the bidding at a normal low price to build people up. You do run the risk of the game falling on deaf ears as there is no dedicated video game segment (T.O.V.A. is certainly a place people like to spend money, though, so it is not all bad) and depending on the cult nature of the game it might be that nobody in the audience at that moment knows what it is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I decided I should probably attend at least one Gencon since I'm local and a massive nerd. I bought my ticket awhile ago and was hoping more event slots would open up either from people dropping out or exhibitors opening more slots, but that hasn't really been happening. How much walk-in sort of stuff is there to do that isn't just buying things?

If anyone has some time to kill in Indy pre/post-con I saw a billboard today and apparently the art museum has mini golf now. Eat your heart out Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

The Moon Monster posted:

I decided I should probably attend at least one Gencon since I'm local and a massive nerd. I bought my ticket awhile ago and was hoping more event slots would open up either from people dropping out or exhibitors opening more slots, but that hasn't really been happening. How much walk-in sort of stuff is there to do that isn't just buying things?

If anyone has some time to kill in Indy pre/post-con I saw a billboard today and apparently the art museum has mini golf now. Eat your heart out Paris.

If you walk up to an event with generic tickets odds are good you can get in if it's not one of the super in demand events. Just get there 15-20 minutes early and let it be known that you have generics.

• Locked thread