Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Instead of speeding gameplay, add loading screens that are pictures of various Steiner reactions.

e: Two FF thread page snipes in a row, gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That should be in every FF game. Also every non FF game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He looks like a Tim Burton character. And not one of the good ones, I mean a bad one in the background of a major scene of Jack Skellington being an rear end in a top hat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

You need at least x4 or x8 for that game

ff9 battles natively run at 15fps so 200 is nearly 12x speed dude

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Instead of speeding gameplay, add loading screens that are pictures of various Steiner reactions.

I found this on Amano's twitter

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a lot of good old school games besides just FF that would benefit from having a fast forward button.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The GIG posted:

Almost anyone who plays old rpgs in emulators windmill slams the fast forward hot key asap so why not make that an actual feature.

Old rpgs are bad. Any game you can play at a ridiculously enhanced speed means you're not really making any decisions i.e. the game is playing itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

gigglefeimer posted:

Old rpgs are bad. Any game you can play at a ridiculously enhanced speed means you're not really making any decisions i.e. the game is playing itself.

Who cares.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

gigglefeimer posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the case for most rpgs to this day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gigglefeimer posted:

:nallears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

After becoming one with the source code by beating F-Zero GX story mode, original F-Zero needs some more pep in its step.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

im not enhancing the speed at the decision making processes. im fast forwarding trhough the ten hour animations

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have only ever played Pokemon games on emulators and I have no idea how anyone played them without fast forward.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

I don't.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gigglefeimer posted:

There are always games like FF5 where I've beat the game ten times already and really don't need to sit through another five minute cutscene again, so fast forward helps a ton.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

Tell me about it.

One of my all-time favorite games has really dumb simple combat, easily missable content (albeit you get New Game Plus), ridiculously underdocumented game mechanics, and has no plot to speak of. Games can have some big flaws and still shrine strongly enough in other areas for the right people.

Yeah but FF12's flaws are 'Everything about it' from really awful narrative pacing to lovely sidequests and dungeons to it's core gameplay literally being a lovely AI programming tool made so you could bypass actually having to do any of the awful gameplay yourself. It's a game that by and large doesn't want you to play it. The fact that one of the biggest features of both rereleases has been "We added a button so you'll have to spend less time playing the game" because you easily set up your gambits to safely clear 95% of content in the game at 12x speed is kind of really sad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I like having fast forward and save states/quicksave anywhere as a feature, but I try to minimize using them because at some point I noticed using them a lot really did a number on my video game patience and attention span. I don't really mind slower RPGs or having re-do parts of a game in general as long as it's not excessive and I've even come to appreciate having some downtime where nothing really happens more than I did in the past.

XII certainly benefits for it though, for traveling through areas you've been to before if nothing else.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:allears:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gigglefeimer posted:

Someone never S-ranked the 300BPM song in Dance Dance Revolution :rolleyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What my core argument is is that Remaster FF12 is a waste of development time when they could be making a LR:FF13 remaster with new content.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
12 is better if you don't use tons of gambits, tbh. I played it recently and it wasn't the battles that I used the fast forward button for, it was mostly for getting around quickly since the maps are large and you have to cover a lot of ground to hunt marks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega64 posted:

Tell me about it.

One of my all-time favorite games has really dumb simple combat, easily missable content (albeit you get New Game Plus), ridiculously underdocumented game mechanics, and has no plot to speak of. Games can have some big flaws and still shrine strongly enough in other areas for the right people.

So you're the guy who likes Unlimited Saga

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but FF12's flaws are 'Everything about it' from really awful narrative pacing to lovely sidequests and dungeons to it's core gameplay literally being a lovely AI programming tool made so you could bypass actually having to do any of the awful gameplay yourself. It's a game that by and large doesn't want you to play it. The fact that one of the biggest features of both rereleases has been "We added a button so you'll have to spend less time playing the game" because you easily set up your gambits to safely clear 95% of content in the game at 12x speed is kind of really sad.

What my core argument is is that Remaster FF12 is a waste of development time when they could be making a LR:FF13 remaster with new content.

While I agree with majority of this, it is also worth pointing out that the Job system with separated license boards does fix another issue the original had in terms of character differentiation. This point is sort of a big deal to me when I go into battle systems, so it's a bit unfair to paint the broad picture that Zodiac Age isn't fixing issues and thus "wasting development time". Maybe not enough to fix everything, but I can only speculate since I've not tried the other modes and balance changes IZJS did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The biggest strike against FF12 imho is that it's just not very memorable in any aspect of its story or characters, in a series that good or bad contains some of the most iconic moments in RPGs.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest strike against FF12 imho is that it's just not very memorable in any aspect of its story or characters, in a series that good or bad contains some of the most iconic moments in RPGs.

"I'm Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Gambits could be implemented into just about every turn based RPG ever and they should.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought XII stood out fairly well in terms of plot and characters. It is not often you have a game that is more about the antagonists than the protagonists, although I thought Ashe's character arc (as the only consistent one all game) wasalso pretty good. The revenge theme as eplored between her and Gabranth was my favorite aspect of the story.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't remember much of the story of XII other than it suddenly getting weird. Like it starts out taking on an evil empire star wars style, then suddenly you are fighting the gods or something.

Also the main character should have been anyone but Vaan.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WaltherFeng posted:

Gambits could be implemented into just about every turn based RPG ever and they should.
Wanna see your chess gambits.

There's lots of opportunities for gambits in a lot of aspects of stat driven RPGs but to me the best design of these sorts of game is something that either puts you in the moment to make snap decisions (like someone could probably automate FF13 paradigm switching, but at that point there's no game left for the human and I kind of loved the dynamic of the controller inputs) or puts you in more complex decision making space than you can address with if/then.

Avalerion posted:

I don't remember much of the story of XII other than it suddenly getting weird. Like it starts out taking on an evil empire star wars style, then suddenly you are fighting the gods or something.

The one thing I can credit 12 with is that styling the player as a point of view/foil character was... brave. Vaan gets his moments in the story more than like a Penelo but the main character ensemble is more Ashe, Basch, and Balthier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah yes, the seminal Squaresoft RPG "Chess"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

Ah yes, the seminal Squaresoft RPG "Chess"

I'd consider paying money for this after the eight years of development hell it goes through.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Avalerion posted:

It's called a Matsuno game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Replace Penelo with a Moogle or any of the other Ivalice races besides Viera.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Avalerion posted:

He's not the main character though unless your definition of the term is incredibly specific.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Remove Vaan from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias. Iscar is from Judus Iscariot, and Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace him. I have chosen these names to be symbolic of the character's betrayal, and change into a valued ally.

Vaan is a poorly written character that was probably shoe horned into the story late in development. The character has no logical or believable reason to join your party, or be allowed to join it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Ventana posted:

While I agree with majority of this, it is also worth pointing out that the Job system with separated license boards does fix another issue the original had in terms of character differentiation. This point is sort of a big deal to me when I go into battle systems, so it's a bit unfair to paint the broad picture that Zodiac Age isn't fixing issues and thus "wasting development time". Maybe not enough to fix everything, but I can only speculate since I've not tried the other modes and balance changes IZJS did.

You could replicate the fixed jobs in vanilla, IZJS just forces it on you. Which admittedly is better for some people since they have a real problem with games that give them too much freedom and no forced direction.