Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ETPC posted:

Give us the Duke Nukem who lost everything and who has no friends in the world and who is trying to figure out who he is in a world that he doesn't belong in. Let Duke rediscover himself.

We need an Old Man Duke game where aliens have conquered earth for 20 years and turned it into a giant hell hole.

Duke is an old and gray haired pacifist who finally get pushed to far and goes on one last ride to take out as many aliens bastards as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Duke being a gun-toting Clint Eastwood In Gran Turino Except Not A Racist type of character is the only possible way I can see him being cool again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This old grizzled Duke will hand everything money and say "you wanna dance?" whenever you hit the interact button. He'll ask elevators if they wanna dance and hand them money etc. He's lost it. But he's still got what it takes to give those drat aliens one more rough time oh yes. (maybe this could just be an optional "wanna dance" mode in the settings menu)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The circular frame of "Family Circus" is symbolic of the ouroboros, of the circle of life that is, itself, immortal. So when a toeheaded boy remarks to his mother, "Clean my room? But I'm not done getting Dirty!" we're basically witnessing a juvenile Duke Nukem who will age--but never die.

Poetry! Duketry!

ETPC posted:

Give us the Duke Nukem who lost everything and who has no friends in the world and who is trying to figure out who he is in a world that he doesn't belong in. Let Duke rediscover himself.

This is why we need 20 more Duke games at the very least, there are many angles and places to explore.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I remember over in another thread, they were talking about the latest trailer for Agents of Mayhem (the new game by Volition), and how it was revealed that Johnny Gat was going to be in the game. Someone said something along the lines of, "I thought Johnny Gat was cool until the later games kept telling me how cool he was, and now I hate him." That I think is the one of the issues with how Gearbox has handled Duke. It''s a Poochy-esque kind of thing where they have to keep reinforcing it to us how great Duke is. It's like, "Hey guys, Duke Nukem's so cool! Isn't cool how he did a triple back-flip, punched an alien in the groin, then smiled at the camera and said 'Bazinga?' So awesome! I wish I was as awesome as him."

Some kind of send-up of the whole thing might be interesting, like a game where Duke still thinks he's the hottest thing, but everyone's gotten tired of his bravado. Alternatively, it would also be interesting to see the opposite. DNF set it up where it seemed like half of the world praised Duke and the ground he walked on . You could do that same thing again, but instead of him going along with it, you could portray him as someone who's become really weary of his fame.

Forgoing all that, just do like they did back in the DOS platformer days, where Duke wore pink and wanted to beat Dr.Proton so he could go home and watch Oprah. Then just make a bunch of really cool levels with fun weapons and game-play like Duke3D.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

john st john sounds so tired in the duke nukem world tour, and the new lines are so bad

also gearbox don't make games anyone wants, they take interesting premises that could be great and find a way to make them very tedious

I think he sounds fine with the new lines, it's the re recorded lines that sound bad.

Too bad most of the new lines in WT are not very good. What does coffee have to do with a hookah bar?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mill Village posted:

Too bad most of the new lines in WT are not very good. What does coffee have to do with a hookah bar?

Amsterdam coffee shops.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I remember over in another thread, they were talking about the latest trailer for Agents of Mayhem (the new game by Volition), and how it was revealed that Johnny Gat was going to be in the game. Someone said something along the lines of, "I thought Johnny Gat was cool until the later games kept telling me how cool he was, and now I hate him." That I think is the one of the issues with how Gearbox has handled Duke. It''s a Poochy-esque kind of thing where they have to keep reinforcing it to us how great Duke is. It's like, "Hey guys, Duke Nukem's so cool! Isn't cool how he did a triple back-flip, punched an alien in the groin, then smiled at the camera and said 'Bazinga?' So awesome! I wish I was as awesome as him."

This is pretty much exactly it.

The thing about Duke in the early games is that he wasn't the super macho god-king of mankind. He wasn't really a parody, either, more of a pastiche. He was a chump with a bad attitude.
He loves soap operas, quotes nerdflicks constantly in lieu of actual dialogue, women barely give him the time of day, wears pink, and can't dance. He had flaws, he wasn't perfect, he was obnoxious, but his heart was in the right place. And that was an endearing character--he wasn't a super-badass who breathed testosterone and shat out choirs of angels with every step, he was just a joe fighting for other normal joes and janes.

But as the franchise went on, he stopped being a dumbass dork. And the shame about Duke is that he really isn't a terrible character archetype, and certainly not one that's really insalvageable. You just can't force charisma, especially not as brute-force as they have been.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 8, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is pretty much exactly it.

The thing about Duke in the early games is that he wasn't the super macho god-king of mankind. He wasn't really a parody, either, more of a pastiche. He was a chump with a bad attitude.
He loves soap operas, quotes nerdflicks constantly in lieu of actual dialogue, women barely give him the time of day, wears pink, and can't dance. He had flaws, he wasn't perfect, he was obnoxious, but his heart was in the right place. And that was an endearing character--he wasn't a super-badass who breathed testosterone and shat out choirs of angels with every step, he was just a joe fighting for other normal joes and janes.

But as the franchise went on, he stopped being a dumbass dork. And the shame about Duke is that he really isn't a terrible character archetype, and certainly not one that's really insalvageable. You just can't force charisma, especially not as brute-force as they have been.

Not sure if I've posted it in this thread before now, but Manly Guy Doing Manly Things sort of portrayed Duke like this:

I love it so much. :allears:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The best thing I ever heard honestly was the idea that Duke is in a serious world full of scary horror movie things and he's this dork with a gun who just likes killing aliens. It fits the tone of Duke 3D pretty well when you think about it. unfortunately, 3D Realms and in turn Gearbox don't get that/forgot the idea at altogether.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pink can be quite cool, Crockett and Tubbs often wore pink and purple shirts on Miami Vice, and there's Kenshin too. I don't think Duke was intended to be a dumbass dork in Duke 1 myself, but there are many ways to interpret Duke.

Duke drank way too much soda back then, good thing he was so active.

One more tidbit while we're talking Duke, Randy has been saying Duke has a cameo in the movie Ready Player One. Apparently somebody uses Duke as an avatar in the oasis in one scene. If this ends up being true, that is quite wild and dare I say cray to see Duke in that mainstream of a film.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 8, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Clearly the solution for all this is for Gearbox to sell Duke and buy SHOGO instead.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Kins posted:

Clearly the solution for all this is for Gearbox to sell Duke and buy SHOGO instead.

Not just Shogo, I want 90s anime to make a comeback! There is the Jojo show on currently, which is adapting classic 90s manga, that'll do for now. Also Fear Effect and Oni, the short-lived anime inspired art in Western games thing was epic. I guess Overwatch currently has a hint of that in it's DNA.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 8, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

The short-lived anime inspired art in Western games thing was epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XraUGv_bM

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Picasso meets anime, it is magnifique!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Not just Shogo, I want 90s anime to make a comeback! There is the Jojo show on currently, which is adapting classic 90s manga, that'll do for now. Also Fear Effect and Oni, the short-lived anime inspired art in Western games thing was epic. I guess Overwatch currently has a hint of that in it's DNA.

JoJo is fantastic, I discovered it like two months ago and had to watch everything. Consider me a low anime consumer that only gets interested in stuff like Fist of the North Star.

Shogo with actual engines would be awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new Castlevania Netflix cartoon is the modern incarnation of the crappy 90s OVA.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I guess this is the Duke we all want then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOkbfFICEp8

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

The Kins posted:

I have no loving clue what I am looking at here, but those specific colors with that specific level of texture filtering are enough for me to identify it as Shogo even though I only played it once over ten years ago. I guess that's all Shogo is to me: blurry-as-poo poo red and blue.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of characters, I love how Quake Ranger guy talks now in Quake Champions. And how he's been running around in these kooky worlds killing things for 20 years, it's also funny and excellent how deep and introspective he sounds. Quake guy is a complex dude.

Assuming DoomSlayer guy will be in this like Ranger and BJ are, I can only imagine the cool stuff he'll say. Probably Doom The Comic-esque.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of characters, I love how Quake Ranger guy talks now in Quake Champions. And how he's been running around in these kooky worlds killing things for 20 years, it's also funny and excellent how deep and introspective he sounds. Quake guy is a complex dude.

Assuming DoomSlayer guy will be in this like Ranger and BJ are, I can only imagine the cool stuff he'll say. Probably Doom The Comic-esque.

Please tell me it's Trent Reznor who's voicing Quakeguy.

:smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doomguy is basically all but confirmed iirc, there was a character portrait of him in the game files a while back. He will probably have VEGA's voice, or the ominous growling narrator voice.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Negrostrike posted:

Please tell me it's Trent Reznor who's voicing Quakeguy.

:smith:

That would've been beautiful, here he sounds more like Leonard Cohen. 20 more years in the poo poo and he'll sound like Tom Waits possibly. I really like the voice they went with though.

CJacobs posted:

Doomguy is basically all but confirmed iirc, there was a character portrait of him in the game files a while back. He will probably have VEGA's voice, or the ominous growling narrator voice.

I'm hoping for David Hayter to be honest, "I'm cooking... with gas......", I want gravitas here. VEGA is cool too though.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Max Wilco posted:

Not sure if I've posted it in this thread before now, but Manly Guy Doing Manly Things sort of portrayed Duke like this:

I love it so much. :allears:

This was always my headcanon Duke. He's a total dork who loves 80's action and horror movies and owns them all on laserdisc and really wants to watch them with you while eating pizza. George Broussard didn't understand that and he basically became George's OC plz do not steal.

Duke needs to be ripped from George and Randy's hands.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm hoping for David Hayter to be honest, "I'm cooking... with gas......", I want gravitas here. VEGA is cool too though.

I hope they follow the D44M formula and he doesn't talk at all

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'd rather they keep the Doom Marine mute for QC. If they really insist on having voice acting I wouldn't mind if they played with it a bit and had the demon tablets narrator talking about him instead.

quote:

MachineGames expressed interest in making a Quake game after Wolfenstein TNO came out, so if they end up working on it that's probably the route they'll go with since they're extremely experienced in writing that type of character (BJ, Jackie, Riddick).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ETPC posted:

This was always my headcanon Duke. He's a total dork who loves 80's action and horror movies and owns them all on laserdisc and really wants to watch them with you while eating pizza. George Broussard didn't understand that and he basically became George's OC plz do not steal.

Duke needs to be ripped from George and Randy's hands.

George's take on Duke was like this horrible mishmash of an action hero from an 80s movie mixed with real life political comments from the old republican actor playing that hero in 2010. It was so offputting. Like your character is 3/4 Ash Williams and 1/4 Johnny Bravo, and you don't realize that the joke should at least be slightly on him instead of him just making GBS threads on everyone else in his world constantly?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
There was a rumor that when Gearbox flew in some comedians and writers to try and salvage Duke, anytime they tried to poke fun at Duke, George would get extremely and visibly upset.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ETPC posted:

There was a rumor that when Gearbox flew in some comedians and writers to try and salvage Duke, anytime they tried to poke fun at Duke, George would get extremely and visibly upset.

The only thing I know about George as a person other than how badly managed his studio was, is that he was bitching about the occupy protestors being "entitled" after basically scamming his publisher for 13 years of getting paid to sit on his rear end.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ETPC posted:

Wasn't this Yahtzee? He did say he sent some DNF script where a ton of the humour was at the expense of Duke and George didn't like it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

George's take on Duke was like this horrible mishmash of an action hero from an 80s movie mixed with real life political comments from the old republican actor playing that hero in 2010. It was so offputting. Like your character is 3/4 Ash Williams and 1/4 Johnny Bravo, and you don't realize that the joke should at least be slightly on him instead of him just making GBS threads on everyone else in his world constantly?

When does Ash not poo poo on people? His acerbic humor is great. It's true Ash Vs Evil Dead does some great self-deprecating humor too though. I don't think republican stuff has anything to do with Duke, what do you mean there specifically? There's no politics in Duke. He's just an over-the-top action hero who is a bit aloof because he makes jokes all the time, and he wants some R&R. For me the character as is terrific, and is evergreen. But you can tweak and mess with it a bit along the way, and Duke games have a wide range of tones so far.

ETPC posted:

According to Randy in that two hour chat, the tone DNF ended up taking was due to the guys who finished it (Allen Blum etc). They finished it from home after George layed them off, apparently George's Duke would've been more "serious" and less nutty/silly than what ended up there. Also Gearbox said Tryptich (those ex-3DR guys like Blum) finished the campaign on their own, he gave some feedback, but Gearbox didn't write jokes for DNF.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

When does Ash not poo poo on people? His acerbic humor is great. It's true Ash Vs Evil Dead does some great self-deprecating humor too though. I don't think republican stuff has anything to do with Duke, what do you mean there specifically? There's no politics in Duke. He's just an over-the-top action hero who is a bit aloof because he makes jokes all the time, and he wants some R&R. For me the character as is terrific, and is evergreen. But you can tweak and mess with it a bit along the way, and Duke games have a wide range of tones so far.

Like do you have some kind of brain problem where you're unable to see flaws in Duke Nukem games or something? Like people who can't see certain colors?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

Like do you have some kind of brain problem where you're unable to see flaws in Duke Nukem games or something?

You come across as close-minded, ironically. It's a character plenty of people do like, you want something else entirely which is fine but it's hosed up to think what you want is somehow related to the quality of mental health. It'd be like if you hated Mario as of Mario 64 going yippy yeeha etc or whatever, and you go what is wrong with your brain Nintendo fans? Mario is a goddamn maniac, we need a different Mario, why can't you see how bad Mario is. Pull your head out of your rear end, different opinions are okay, it's perfectly OK for someone to like this thing you don't like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Plenty of people don't like Duke Nukem. There's a reason the character is forgotten outside of retro threads like this. A lot of the criticism of DNF (which itself sold horribly) was how outdated Duke is as a character, let alone the rest of that shitshow of a game.

Trying to resurrect Duke is like being on the committee to get Last Man Standing another season, yet even more pathetic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

You come across as close-minded, ironically. It's a character plenty of people do like, you want something else entirely which is fine but it's hosed up to think what you want is somehow related to the quality of mental health. It'd be like if you hated Mario as of Mario 64 going yippy yeeha etc or whatever, and you go what is wrong with your brain Nintendo fans? Mario is a goddamn maniac, we need a different Mario, why can't you see how bad Mario is. Pull your head out of your rear end, different opinions are okay, it's perfectly OK for someone to like this thing you don't like.

Duke's personality works fine in Duke3D, which is a game that barely has a story. His cheesy quips add to the atmosphere of the game and helps it feel like more than a mere "Doom clone". It does not work in DNF, not only because it's an outdated and unexamined cartoonish trope in a game that has an overall more serious tone(admittedly not TOO serious, but it's still a less arcadey world by a wide margin), but because the actual fleshing out Duke does get outside of his corny one-liners and love of violence makes him seem like a huge loving rear end in a top hat. This is a pretty uncontroversial thing I'm saying here, and it's really weird that you keep jumping in to say "Actually Duke is super awesome and has no problems at all and there definitely isn't a gigantic neoconservative subtext to Duke Nukem Forever!". My issue isn't with you liking something, but how weirdly and blindly defensive you are of it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arivia posted:

Plenty of people don't like Duke Nukem. There's a reason the character is forgotten outside of retro threads like this. A lot of the criticism of DNF (which itself sold horribly) was how outdated Duke is as a character, let alone the rest of that shitshow of a game.

Trying to resurrect Duke is like being on the committee to get Last Man Standing another season, yet even more pathetic.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions, what we like, don't like etc. But what is the purpose of not wanting this game series to exist? You don't have to play it, it won't do you any harm. And DNF sold okay, over a million people have it on steam and it was on 360/PS3 as well. It was a troubled development of course, but I think a bit of a heroic effort that they managed to finish it and get it out there. I gather you hate the guy because of his Lothario character or whatever, and perceived sexism therein, I get it. But not every character has to be a good person, or a good role model, it's fiction. Take Death Note, lovely hit story about a nut maniac. It's good times (in my book).

Lurdiak posted:

Duke's personality works fine in Duke3D, which is a game that barely has a story. His cheesy quips add to the atmosphere of the game and helps it feel like more than a mere "Doom clone". It does not work in DNF, not only because it's an outdated and unexamined cartoonish trope in a game that has an overall more serious tone(admittedly not TOO serious, but it's still a less arcadey world by a wide margin), but because the actual fleshing out Duke does get outside of his corny one-liners and love of violence makes him seem like a huge loving rear end in a top hat. This is a pretty uncontroversial thing I'm saying here, and it's really weird that you keep jumping in to say "Actually Duke is super awesome and has no problems at all and there definitely isn't a gigantic neoconservative subtext to Duke Nukem Forever!". My issue isn't with you liking something, but how weirdly and blindly defensive you are of it.

All I did was give another point of view, I didn't say yours was invalid, just that I personally think the character works and has legs still, and talked about the points raised. But you and others keep going ad hominem and whatnot, and that is much stranger than happening to be a fan who will defend some video game. There's nothing blind about me liking something you don't, all that shows is that you can't see the other point of view. People like Daikatana in here, all sorts of stuff, I don't think it should raise an eyebrow that I defend the character Duke Nukem. I don't think there's a gigantic neoconservative subtext to DNF. You haven't explained why you think there is, or where the republican stuff comes from. It's about a weird perv saving the world from aliens.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 9, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Douk Douk posted:

Duke Nukem Forever would have been infinitely better if Duke was how he is seen by everyone now: A washed-up has-been.

Imagine the Duke Nukem Forever intro of playing a remake of DN3D's final boss, and the camera zooms out, not to reveal Duke in a fabulous mansion getting sucked off by hot twins, but instead we're faced with a dejected, obese, unshaved Duke reliving his glory days in a white trash Vegas trailer park, bills stacked in the garbage, deep in debt after gambling his life away.

This would be a great, honestly. I'd play that game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ash Vs Evil Dead is terrific, if you haven't seen that. He even lives in a trailer park.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

You're mostly right, but there definitely isn't a giant neoconservative subtext to a loving Duke Nukem game. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

My review of Duke Nukem Forever:

quote:

Duke Nukem stuffs a meathook into the toilet and snatches out a turd. This is the modern version of the "grasshopper" snatching a grain of rice out of his master's hand. Later, he confronts all manner of satirical daemons (PIG cops?) and tri-breasted alien queens; he stops to grope an enslaved stripper and dangles his dingus in the eager mouths of incestual lesbian twins (dead-eyed "pets" who haunt the second coming of Sodom and Gommorah, AKA Duke Nukem's skyscraper-mansion).

Periodically, brawny, neckless men kneel down and enthusiastically worship Nukem--but the shrewd observer will realize that these NPCs only vaguely grasp the reasons why they have made Nukem into their god. They are slaughtered wholesale by the alien invaders, leaving us to wonder if their spirits will pass on to that great stained red carpet and neon sign in the sky.

I appreciate that we can finally have a protaganist who is Native American.