Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jigoku San posted:

This is a Nanoha Strikers character, so she's a terrible Subaru, if not the worst.
What this Subaru has going for her:
  • Rad Roller-blades.
  • Punches poo poo up.
  • Hot-blooded.
  • Voiced by Chiwa Saito.
  • It's a Cyborg.
  • Has a hot tsundere girlfriend.
She is basically Hibiki Tachibana 1.0 (or 0.5, if you're feeling particularly lippy). Nanoha Strikers might not be top tier Nanoha, but Subaru herself rules really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have seven shows I am currently watching this season, and all of them look like keepers.

Kakegurui
Ballroom
Boku no Hero 2
Altair
Made in Abyss
Fate Apocrypha
Bahamut

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 8, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

I didn't think it was based on a game, I just thought it was really interesting to have a story take that sort of gamey setting 100% seriously.

Although frankly Etrian Odyssey is pretty hosed up too if you ever stop to look at the details.

mia is super hosed up and the cutesy character designs make it even worse. i'm not sure i could handle seeing some of this poo poo animated.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

we get it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Vatican mythbusters Miracle Examiner seems cool so far

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mia is super hosed up and the cutesy character designs make it even worse. i'm not sure i could handle seeing some of this poo poo animated.

it's fairly basic body horror, calm the gently caress down

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets all watch alien nine

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

:twisted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

Unironically agreed.

Also read the Manga afterwards.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Now I want to watch this. :(

https://twitter.com/Rosel__d/status/883763566976696320

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

im getting mixed signals here

made in abyss owns btw

What's your Warren Ellis tolerance? Because that will greatly affect how much you enjoy Castlevania.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hope they can get better subs tho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

What's your Warren Ellis tolerance? Because that will greatly affect how much you enjoy Castlevania.
Warren Ellis might seem like an insufferable edgelord (and perhaps he is), but at least he seems to derive some sort of fun when writing things. Also, Nextwave and Transmetropolitan are some of my favorite comic books, so whenever possible, I try to give his works a chance.

Also, because I love this dumb quote:

Warren Ellis explaining why he took up the project that ended up becoming GI JOE: Resolute posted:

"Sam Register phoned me up and said, "We'd really like you to write a GI JOE animation, at a PG-13 rating, aimed at an older viewer." I said, "I've never seen a GI JOE cartoon in my life. The closest I got to a GI JOE comic was drinking with Larry Hama. I've never even seen a GI JOE. Couldn't tell you what they look like if you paid me. I know nothing about GI JOE. It is meaningless in my world." "Excellent," Sam said. "Just the guy we need." It was hard not to notice, at this point, that Sam Register is crazier than a shithouse rat. Therefore I decided to take the job."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Warren Ellis might seem like an insufferable edgelord (and perhaps he is), but at least he seems to derive some sort of fun when writing things. Also, Nextwave and Transmetropolitan are some of my favorite comic books, so whenever possible, I try to give his works a chance.

Then that's cool, and you will find Castlevania a fun fantasy adventure. I meant that post sincerely. For the record, the American audio is probably the best, though the Japanese Dracula is pretty rad.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

I find it weird that no one mentioned that the setting of Made in Abyss is basically Etrian Odyssey.
I did! Roughly 1000 pages ago, when it was first announced so you'll have to take my word for it. :v:

Tsuruzure Children didn't impress, but comedy's a tricky business and it's easy to find yourself in a mood where it just doesn't click for you. It's short enough that I'll probably keep watching to see if it gels for me. Ballroom was fun though it's just going through the standard sports anime set-up right now. What can I say, I'm a sucker for 'competitive <blank>' anime, especially when it's something I don't usually see as a competition.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Araki posted:

Tsurezure Children is... good.

First episode was hilariously stupid and it's only twelve and a half minutes long so I may as well keep watching.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Davincie posted:

alien nine has cute hats

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Then that's cool, and you will find Castlevania a fun fantasy adventure. I meant that post sincerely. For the record, the American audio is probably the best, though the Japanese Dracula is pretty rad.
:stare: Naoya Uchida as Dracula is everything I never knew I wanted in a Dracula.

Onwards to episode 2, then!

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Wark Say posted:

There were some definite Warren Ellisisms in Castlevania, but on the whole I thought it was alright. Fights looked very good. I watched it with Japanese audio and Dracula sounded great. The faces and fight animation (especially the last fight) kind of reminded me of a lower quality Sword of the Stranger, which I say as a compliment.

I really liked Transmetropolitan when I was in highschool, so much that I bought Warren Ellis' first novel, Crooked Little Vein, when it came out. Aaaand even to my 16 year old brain I thought it was maybe the most edgelord book I'd ever read. It was 10 years ago, but as I remember it: the MC detective is joined by a college student, who is a manic pixie dream girl by way of fetlife. Half her lines are essentially "Oh, did I freak you out, old man?". There are extended scenes and dialogues that are just descriptions of esoteric fetishes for no real reason. One of the most prominent fetishes, that is actually present in the narrative instead of just being referred to, was something to do with people injecting silicon caulk as DIY plastic surgery.

I've read transgressive fiction that didn't make me roll my eyes, but Crooked Little Vein was just insufferable.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

All the boys in tsundere children suck a lot but I really like it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

an actual dog posted:

All the boys in tsundere children suck a lot but I really like it.

The student council president is very powerful.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

After all this buildup I'm gonna be disappointed if Made In Abyss isn't a constant gauntlet of horrifying things.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

After all this buildup I'm gonna be disappointed if Made In Abyss isn't a constant gauntlet of horrifying things.

prepare for disappointment then

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okky as Trevor! :swoon:

Hocus Pocus posted:

There were some definite Warren Ellisisms in Castlevania, but on the whole I thought it was alright. Fights looked very good. I watched it with Japanese audio and Dracula sounded great.

I really liked Transmetropolitan when I was in highschool, so much that I bought Warren Ellis' first novel, Crooked Little Vein, when it came out. Aaaand even to my 16 year old brain I thought it was maybe the most edgelord book I'd ever read. It was 10 years ago, but as I remember it: the MC detective is joined by a college student, who is a manic pixie dream girl by way of fetlife. Half her lines are essentially "Oh, did I freak you out, old man?". There are extended scenes and dialogues that are just descriptions of esoteric fetishes for no real reason. One of the most prominent fetishes, that is actually present in the narrative instead of just being referred to, was something to do with people injecting silicon caulk as DIY plastic surgery.

I've read transgressive fiction that didn't make me roll my eyes, but Crooked Little Vein was just insufferable.
Yeah, he has some real duds to his name.

Hocus Pocus posted:

The faces and fight animation (especially the last fight) kind of reminded me of a lower quality Sword of the Stranger, which I say as a compliment.
If anything looks like it's aiming for anything approaching a Yutaka Nakamura joint, that's pretty goddamn rad.

Droyer posted:

The student council president is very powerful.
StuCo Prez is good and powerful, but we ain't even in best boy territory yet.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle posted:

prepare for disappointment then

drat, I'll have to settle for a fun cool show then

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an actual dog posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So it seems Amazon give UK Prime users two random anime each season, and we got Ballroom and Altair this time. I hope we get Princess Principal as well, but it's doubtful. Shame, really wanted to see Koi to Uso, but Altair seems good enough.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Vatican Kiseki Choussakan alternated between being unintentionally (I think?) hilarious and pretty spooky. The pacing was way fast, but it feels like it's intended to create drama and tension and not the studio trying to cram too much into their timeslot. Overall, it was pretty entertaining even if I have that feeling of "wtf did I just watch," and the soundtrack is just awesome. I'm gonna keep watching this one.

Ballroom e Youkoso is a well-animated, fashionable, hot-blooded shounen sports anime that everyone should probably be watching because it's really good.

an actual dog posted:

:yeah:

Judging by the manga, I would say to anyone worried about the more horrific parts: "If you can watch Evangelion, you can watch Abyss."

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So it seems Amazon give UK Prime users two random anime each season, and we got Ballroom and Altair this time. I hope we get Princess Principal as well, but it's doubtful. Shame, really wanted to see Koi to Uso, but Altair seems good enough.

The reason is that Ballroom and Altair is licensed worldwide through Amazon. The other 2 mentioned are licensed through Sentai and probably are not on Amazon in the UK. They are probably on HDDive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ballroom really reminds of me of Haikyuu - similar style, humor, everything. I know it's due to the studio, but yow.

That said, I'm loving it? The comparison to Haikyuu is a good signal because I loved Haikyuu, and when this takes off I'm sure it'll be just as fun to watch. :D

(also joke post: Ballroom reminds me of Keijo give the focus on how the hips move! :v: )

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sometimes the necks in Ballroom suddenly triple in length and that freaks me out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Sometimes the necks in Ballroom suddenly triple in length and that freaks me out
They're trying to show Shaft how necks should be done, otherwise Shaft might get comfortable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

*clears throat* Made in Apiss

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hina Logi is surprisingly charming, if you're into that. The teachers are awesome and the post-credits sequence with them after each episode owns.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ballroom really reminds of me of Haikyuu - similar style, humor, everything.

Suddenly I'm interested in Ballroom.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Araki posted:

Suddenly I'm interested in Ballroom.

lol that was kinda my whole interest in it too

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AnacondaHL posted:

Hina Logi is surprisingly charming, if you're into that. The teachers are awesome and the post-credits sequence with them after each episode owns.

Ep 2 kind of put me on a snooze and then the next ep was crazy and fun. Everyone's cute though, including the lady from Anti-Skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i watched the first episode of hina logi and it seemed painfully generic magical girl poo poo tbh. good art design tho

• Locked thread