Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What are the odds of a P-Bandai refined Barzam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A resin 1/100 Virgo is currently 50% off on e2046. They're not exactly renowned for their quality casts, but they've got the market cornered on the "at least this kit exists" front.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sometimes they're slow to produce. I've been waiting on their HG G-bit conversion kit for two years. Tempted to buy the three more units they need to produce myself just to get the drat thing.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

RevolverDivider posted:

Just finished my RG Gold Frame. It's by far the hardest RG I've ever done but holy poo poo is it incredible when finished. It looks gorgeous, the decals are fantastic and noticeably spice it up a lot, and the weapons are all great. Even the monstrous backpack which is a problem on most SEED RGs is excellent and has zero problems once its attached.

I'm total garbage at nub marks and mine looks atrocious. Trying to build up the will to finish the weapons and put it on a stand on my shelf of shame. How did you do?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It'll look a lot better once it has weapons and the backpack on. I felt pretty bad about it halfway through but by the end I was very satisfied.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RevolverDivider posted:

Just finished my RG Gold Frame. It's by far the hardest RG I've ever done but holy poo poo is it incredible when finished. It looks gorgeous, the decals are fantastic and noticeably spice it up a lot, and the weapons are all great. Even the monstrous backpack which is a problem on most SEED RGs is excellent and has zero problems once its attached.

I enjoyed the hell out of building the Gold Frame but as soon as I was done I realize it's an incredibly ugly design. The legs have a bunch of fins sticking out, and the combination of giant robot Robin Hood hat and the bizarre jawline guard makes the head huge and terrible

I do like the spear though

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of building the Gold Frame but as soon as I was done I realize it's an incredibly ugly design.

I love it, but I think it requires you to have an appreciation for "edgelord" designs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find SEED designs terrible from the get go so I've ignored building any of them. I did just pick up the Thunderbolt Ground Gundam, and next month I'm going to pick up the Blue Destiny. I'm on a bit of an RX-79 kick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Right now I'm cleaning up a knockoff MG Deathscythe (the Katoki redesign), it's pretty close to real quality outside the very thin white pieces (100% gonna paint it so whatever) and stiff polycaps (the backpack refuses to stay on). Outside that its just mold flash and slightly off-colors

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Possibly the most fragile and ill-conceived idea for an effect part ever (1/144 Barbatos eyeball lightning):

Not really sure how to attach it safely, I think I'll try some silicone and hope for the best, it'll at least be easy to undo.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I've never done an MG, but I heard people like vKas so I'm getting one of those. I was gonna get a mobile suit one, but then I googled what "Ver. Ka" actually means, so it'll have to be the Ball vKa. It looks nice and round, and doesn't appear to have any feathers or armpit hair or vestigial tails or whatever dumbfuck thing history's greatest monster Hajime Katoki is currently into.

That's right. It's been twenty years, and I'm still mad about Wing Zero's Endless Waltz redesign.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I hate to break it to you but angel wings are cool on giant robots. As are devil wings. Or door wings. Just wings in general.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I hate to break it to you but angel wings are cool on giant robots. As are devil wings. Or door wings. Just wings in general.

Facts.

They're almost as cool as shoulder cannons and melee weapons that aren't beam sabres.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Feather wings are dumb, but lets not pretend they weren't appropriate for Wing's dumb sappy angst. Like the japanese equivalent of a creed album on an episode of The OC

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neurolimal posted:

Feather wings are dumb, but lets not pretend they weren't appropriate for Wing's dumb sappy angst. Like the japanese equivalent of a creed album on an episode of The OC

The Wing Zero Custom is stupid in the best way, and I love it :allears:.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The Wing Zero Custom is the best RG I've built so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Wing Zero Custom is stupid in the best way, and I love it :allears:.

It's kind of the opposite of the IBO approach. Like the Barbatos was a demon because of how it moved and how its weapons and armor, while well matched to the aesthetic of other suits in the show, invoked demonic or angelic imagery depending on how Tekkadan was approaching the world.

Wing?

"gently caress it, we're giving it feathers."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
By the way, I recall talk a long while ago about the RG GP01 & Full Burnen having significant chest/waist issues due to being a transforming kit. Having put together the Full Burnen I have to say, the kit is surprisingly sturdy, and if you follow the steps correctly the top half stays pretty solidly connected to the rest. I imagine it probably falters with some extreme bends, but in normal posing it's been impressive. What's less impressive is the way the shield handle-holding hand is molded, which makes him hold it like its a vacuum cleaner or something.

I especially like how the backpack is a part of the ship, so it distributes the packs' weight a little better than most giant-packed suits (looking at you, Tallgeese)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, the Fb is a really good kit. It is a little unsteady due to the slat pegs connecting the top and bottom torso pieces rather than a round hole, but other than that it's real good.

Working on the Thunderbolt Ground Gundam. The plastic used on these TB kits is really weird. It feels almost chalky at times. The detail is incredible for an HG and rivals the Origin line in that regard, but some of the engineering on the suits is strange due to how the joins need to emulate the debris jackets. In some places the build process feels pretty old, but then it's got bits right next to modern engineering. It's strange. I'm certainly enjoying the build, but it really does feel odd compared to other kits I've built.

It also has the world's deadliest lollipop as a primary weapon and I find that amusing.

EDIT: And mostly finished.

Fear the death lollipop and rabbit ear antenna.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 9, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Tunahead posted:

or whatever dumbfuck thing history's greatest monster Hajime Katoki is currently into.

That would be chest fins

and hidden missiles.

Go on, tell me why these are awful.

I hate some of the guy's redesigns as much as the next guy, but :argh: :argh: :argh: KATOKI :argh: :argh: :argh: hasn't been a particularly relevant viewpoint in years.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 9, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The FA Thunderbolt is nearing Heavy Arms levels of concealed weaponry.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm building my first MG, the Turn-A, and the mustache keeps falling off- it doesn't seem like there's anything securing it in place on the head. Am I supposed to cement it in place or something?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mimir posted:

I'm building my first MG, the Turn-A, and the mustache keeps falling off- it doesn't seem like there's anything securing it in place on the head. Am I supposed to cement it in place or something?

Not "supposed to" but if you are having trouble no reason not to really.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

and hidden missiles.

Go on, tell me why these are awful.

I hate some of the guy's redesigns as much as the next guy, but :argh: :argh: :argh: KATOKI :argh: :argh: :argh: hasn't been a particularly relevant viewpoint in years.

I actually love katoki and think his designs are great, but the FA thunderbolt gundam annoys me since it's way too advanced for its setting.

Design itself is fine though!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's only too advanced if you get uppity about canon. Even Thunderbolt's author said his series is able to do what he wanted because he was given permission to do whatever without getting hooked up on canon.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
As someone who's only exposure to UC is Thunderbolt and Unicorn, what makes the Full Armor too advanced?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paper Kaiju posted:

As someone who's only exposure to UC is Thunderbolt and Unicorn, what makes the Full Armor too advanced?

The sheer amount of firepower it carries. Its primary gun outclasses a battleship and it wouldn't be matched by mobile suits until the late 80s-early 90s of UC.

In that regards, some of the experimental mobile armors from 0083 are also way ahead of their time, which is why I really don't care if the canon doesn't add up so long as the machines are interesting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like the Thunderbolt GMs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the Thunderbolt GMs

They look good, sure, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Ground GM. It's such a good design and I really hope with Blue Destiny coming out we get more 08th MS Team redesigns for gunpla

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's okay to dote on certain aspects of robot design. I'm still all in on external fuel tanks/thrusters/stabilizers, and it's like a guarantee that I'll get a kit if it has them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just bought my first MG since about 10 years ago. Back then I did the micro-pen thing for the mold lines, but now I'm wondering if I can use acrylic miniatures paints/washes.

Has anyone tried this before? I know people do this with oil-based washes but I'm worried water-based won't work without primer.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I read the OP but based on the last couple pages of convo I figure I'd ask live: what grade should a noob start at if they want to do 1/100?

Cheers

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

I read the OP but based on the last couple pages of convo I figure I'd ask live: what grade should a noob start at if they want to do 1/100?

Cheers

Master grades and RE:1/100 are both 1/100 in scale. of the 2 master grades are the more complex but really they just have more pieces, so they're not harder so much as they take longer, so it ultimately depends on which robot you want a model of.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Droyer posted:

Master grades and RE:1/100 are both 1/100 in scale. of the 2 master grades are the more complex but really they just have more pieces, so they're not harder so much as they take longer, so it ultimately depends on which robot you want a model of.

Word. Thanks!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Just bought my first MG since about 10 years ago. Back then I did the micro-pen thing for the mold lines, but now I'm wondering if I can use acrylic miniatures paints/washes.

Has anyone tried this before? I know people do this with oil-based washes but I'm worried water-based won't work without primer.

I've done washes with Vallejo on bare plastic kits, it worked fine with the Magic Wash (1 part Future, 4 parts water, and desired pigment).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Booyah- posted:

I've done some acrylic panel lining with Tamiya after clear top coats and had a slight clouding, whether it was I didn't get the over run off in time I don't know.

It did work out in my favour however being on a metallic black with red lining so it gave it a light pearl finish around the lining.

Haven't had this happen with enamel though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The sheer amount of firepower it carries. Its primary gun outclasses a battleship and it wouldn't be matched by mobile suits until the late 80s-early 90s of UC.

In that regards, some of the experimental mobile armors from 0083 are also way ahead of their time, which is why I really don't care if the canon doesn't add up so long as the machines are interesting.

It's only as meaty as one of the G-Armor's guns. It's really just that and the Gundam smushed together into a single-seater unit halfway between an MA and a MS. Powerful, but still not, like, a Zeong-beater.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
My only issues with using acrylic wash on bare plastic are that it tends to puddle rather than flow nicely into edges, and looks somewhat blotchy when it dries. Generally only a problem with more sculpted detail, it works just fine for basic panel lines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

It's only as meaty as one of the G-Armor's guns. It's really just that and the Gundam smushed together into a single-seater unit halfway between an MA and a MS. Powerful, but still not, like, a Zeong-beater.

Well no, fair enough, but for the time period UC, its power output and armament is through the roof compared to stuff even a decade later. You can get away with justifying crazy stuff like the Atlas's railgun because it was a prototype suit, but the FA-78 is just another RX variant that is armed to the teeth. Forget magnetic coating or prototype psycommu systems, if Amuro had the FA=78, he could have blown up the entire Zeon fleet in a single sortie.

None of this really bothers me, mind you. Like I said, I don't mind canon conflicts as long as the story is good and the machine fits the setting. It's not like the Thunderbolt comes decked out with a full set of funnels and a beam shield and a three part transformable attack mode and suddenly firing off the Moonlight Butterfly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The FA-78 vTB as is would have likely been useless for Amuro's purposes. His accuracy and evasion capabilities were so high by the end of the OYW that he didn't need a host of redundant weapons or gratuitous amounts of armor. Gundam doesn't operate by RPG principles: having a bigger beam rifle would not have made Amuro particularly more effective. Similarly, there's nothing it features that is explicitly out of place for 0079: you have to remember that there was a canonical FA Gundam in MSV, and that this is the series where Zeon was cranking out some janky new prototype every week. If it featured a movable frame, a transformation, e-pacs, or something else from Zeta onwards then you'd have a case but it doesn't. Instead it has loads of missiles, additional armor, and a stupid looking backpack.

The actual problems with Thunderbolt are that I'm not in high school anymore so I don't have a hardon for gratuitous amounts of guns and armor a) its aesthetics completely clash with the rest of 0079 (which is not not a new problem, 0080 technically did the same), b) it has that goofy splash page with some Zeongs when that was supposed to be a one-off, and c) once it exits the OYW it ditches the UC aesthetic entirely with Atlas. But they've long since given up on design consistency so that doesn't matter much either.

So really, it's just the Zeongs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 10, 2017