Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cicadalek posted:

My new strategy for solos is to land somewhere out of the way, then prioritize getting a jeep above all else. Loot every gas can you see. Then you just never leave the car, except if it's on fire or to hose down someone. Even when the circle is in its final stages, just keep driving around the perimeter.

It's not a winning strategy, but it gets you into the top 20 surprisingly consistently. At least at my garbage tier MMR, people are shockingly bad at getting out of the way of a moving vehicle. Drive towards gunfire if you're feeling lucky, drive towards gunfights always, and enjoy running over someone with an 8x scope and a sniper rifle because they didn't hear a car bearing down on them.

I mean, you don't even have to use a vehicle to go top 20 if you drop off the beaten path. Depending on how circle hosed you get you might need one but surviving that long is hardly any accomplishment. You'll be down to the 60s before the first circle even drops in most solo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

In a row?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Cleaning out the school

https://giant.gfycat.com/DangerousSpottedJoey.webm

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

aniviron posted:

In a row?

Nice

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

A man sees a suppressor a man picks up a suppressor.

:agreed:

fletcher posted:

Cleaning out the school

https://webm

Change name to "The_Janitor" and never not drop on the school.

School gets hot very often, big part is that it's centrally located.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Pochinki, School, Apartments are nice to land in because you're right in the middle of the map and you're less likely to get destroyed by a lovely circle. In squads I hate people who land in the middle of nowhere or long jump.

I'm extremely skeptical of long jumps because the few times I've gone straight down and raced my long jumping buddies with a car it seems like you can usually get places faster with a car.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah Pochinki, School, Apartments are nice to land in because you're right in the middle of the map and you're less likely to get destroyed by a lovely circle. In squads I hate people who land in the middle of nowhere or long jump.

I'm extremely skeptical of long jumps because the few times I've gone straight down and raced my long jumping buddies with a car it seems like you can usually get places faster with a car.

Only problem is every time I try the find a car quick strategy I end up not finding a car quick or getting beat to it anyway. Long jumps at least solo are okay sometimes because then you can at least you can see where other people are landing and if a car is speeding towards where you are going.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mobas have trained me to farm and avoid conflict so I like dropping off the fly line.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I really enjoy dropping into the bunkers because it is high loot, usually at least a few other people, but a natural release if it gets too crowded. No one wants to be the third person entering the tunnel.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

fletcher posted:

Cleaning out the school

That clip is how I picture my landings at the school going but in reality it's just me queuing up another game.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I always drop straight down anymore in solos so I can get into conflicts that much faster. Hasn't caused me to do much better but at least I'm getting more shoot at mans time for my buck.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
WHY IS THE RAIN LOUDER THAN THE DACIA THAT RAN ME OVER WHILE I WAS PICKING PEOPLE OFF WITH MY SKS?!?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

AnElegantPeacock posted:

WHY IS THE RAIN LOUDER THAN THE DACIA THAT RAN ME OVER WHILE I WAS PICKING PEOPLE OFF WITH MY SKS?!?

Rain is pretty loud in general

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It must not rain often I haven't had it in any matches yet

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've gotten a rainy match twice out of a total of 86 matches.. So yeah, kinda rare

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It must not rain often I haven't had it in any matches yet

:same:

Also, I've only had the sunset like twice.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Get shot in the head with an SKS a minute into a solo match..

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

theperminator posted:

Get shot in the head with an SKS a minute into a solo match..

I did this earlier today in a solo, landed on top of power plant substation where there was an SKS and someone else went underneath and had horrible cover. Felt good.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
Finally got my first Kar98 with 8x and suppressor today and I lasted all of 2 minutes with it and no kills...

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
if you're not good at landing long range headshots, the kar is basically a really terrible ak anyway

i know what i suck at so i never pick it up

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Still struggling. I want to point at things and they die when I pull the trigger. It still hasn't clicked with me. Ive traditionally played non-realistic fps's like quake. Most recently I'm a masters level (top 5%) player in Overwatch, but I'm just god awful at killing people in this game unless it's inside a house.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

cosmicjim posted:

Still struggling. I want to point at things and they die when I pull the trigger. It still hasn't clicked with me. Ive traditionally played non-realistic fps's like quake. Most recently I'm a masters level (top 5%) player in Overwatch, but I'm just god awful at killing people in this game unless it's inside a house.

Pretend you're Hanzo except your arrows are really fast.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I'm right there with you. Masters in Overwatch but more often than not, I whiff badly at almost any range. It's my own terribleness that makes me saltiest the most.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Shima Honnou posted:

Pretend you're Hanzo except your arrows are really fast.

If that were true, I just have to aim within 2 feet of them to headshot with a projectile the size of a tree trunk.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

cosmicjim posted:

I was in the same place but lately switching one thing really helped me out. I started aiming lower. Seriously, anything down a scope at range? you're probably aiming way higher than you should be. I went from missing everything in single fire mode with all the ARs to regularly landing most of my shots on stationary targets in auto bursts.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you're not a headshot god, the k98 isn't that good. It's usually 3 shots on body armor when you could usually put 12 shots on with an AR at that point.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Also, this:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157678263

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

AnElegantPeacock posted:

If you think rain is loud just wait until they impliment snow

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Once you down someone and his allies are right next to him, stop dumping your clip into them and switch to targets that can still shoot you.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Got my first chicken dinner tonight in Squads. All four of us were still alive at the end. Feels good mang.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

willroc7 posted:

Once you down someone and his allies are right next to him, stop dumping your clip into them and switch to targets that can still shoot you.

Although when I went on my pistol rampage the other day, the only way I could get the last guy to come out of hiding was to start coldly executing his teammates. :feelsgood:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Unless you have a gun that can one shot down someone from a body shot or are exceptionally good at headshots, most slower firing weapons are not going to be effective for you at long range. Your main goal should be to surprise people in positions where they cannot easily take cover in response. Arcade shooters teach players to know maps and where people can be not by being generally good at picking up on queues, but rather learning the tricks of particular maps. "Realistic" shooters require you be more generalized in your map awareness, both in understanding where you should be and where others will, and that is a big jump for many.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Thanks for your expert advice. I was fairly confident they couldn't possibly have 3 guys in one bathroom. I was wrong.

Willfrey posted:

If you think rain is loud just wait until they impliment snow

No way, snow is quiet.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

Unless you have a gun that can one shot down someone from a body shot or are exceptionally good at headshots, most slower firing weapons are not going to be effective for you at long range. Your main goal should be to surprise people in positions where they cannot easily take cover in response. Arcade shooters teach players to know maps and where people can be not by being generally good at picking up on queues, but rather learning the tricks of particular maps. "Realistic" shooters require you be more generalized in your map awareness, both in understanding where you should be and where others will, and that is a big jump for many.

this, plus if you're used to hitscan crosshair games like quake and CS, using sights and dealing with bullet travel/drop will take a ton of getting used to. I am one of those people and i have something like 100 games now and I'm still getting used to it.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Thanks for your expert advice. I was fairly confident they couldn't possibly have 3 guys in one bathroom. I was wrong.

Even besides that wasting ammo and making noise so everyone is aware of your presence is a great tactic, are you a cop irl?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0K4gwdOTkE

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

CMvan46 posted:

Finally got my first Kar98 with 8x and suppressor today and I lasted all of 2 minutes with it and no kills...

Unlucky, man. I'm a middling player, but looting that setup felt like cheat mode for me.

rage-saq posted:

I did this earlier today in a solo, landed on top of power plant substation where there was an SKS and someone else went underneath and had horrible cover. Felt good.

I landed on the C shaped apartments at the military base and picked up an SKS on the roof. Headshotting with irons someone who was at the top of the antenna array sure felt good.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Right now my only complaint is where the reticle is in relation to where you're actually firing when in close quarters. I'm not sure why they decided to do it the way they did, but it's pretty annoying to think I'm using a doorway as half cover for enfilade fires, only to be shooting the door frame to the right, instead of the target next to it. The issue becomes more obvious to me when you look at where the reticle is, and then switch to first person to see where the iron sights actually are, and the latter is usually a foot or more to the left or right of the actual reticle.

That aside, game is super dope, and I'm having a ton of fun at mid to long range engagements. Feels a lot like Arma with training wheels, which is exactly what I need sometimes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xeremides posted:

Right now my only complaint is where the reticle is in relation to where you're actually firing when in close quarters. I'm not sure why they decided to do it the way they did, but it's pretty annoying to think I'm using a doorway as half cover for enfilade fires, only to be shooting the door frame to the right, instead of the target next to it. The issue becomes more obvious to me when you look at where the reticle is, and then switch to first person to see where the iron sights actually are, and the latter is usually a foot or more to the left or right of the actual reticle.

That aside, game is super dope, and I'm having a ton of fun at mid to long range engagements. Feels a lot like Arma with training wheels, which is exactly what I need sometimes.

That's kind of a geometric issue that is inherent to 3rd person camera usage, actually it happens in any game in which the bullets originate from the barrel of the weapon and not from the center of the camera.

Here's a diagram I found on google:

At least PUBG gives you the "shot blocked" icon in some cases which helps a little but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
The weird thing about that is if you're sighting in in 3rd person, it means you're at the ready, so your rifle is basically center mass with your eyes above the actual sights. 3rd person should affect shot placement vertically, rather than horizontally. I'm looking forward to the 1st person server mode they're working on for this reason, but at the moment, it feels like I'm putting myself at a disadvantage by using it outside of direct engagements 100m plus.

• Locked thread