Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Totally unsurprised that the one guy who required literal drugs for a power up to fight a pre-training Buu and the two guys with easily avoidable gimmicks got knocked out in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

So they're absolutely backpedaling on the universal erasure after this tourney right?

this being dragon ball, I'd assume they aren't gonna permanently kill people like jiren or caulifla

who knows what the endgame is here tho. still hoping that the tournament of power becomes the new world martial arts tournament

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am glad Zeno is erasing universes on the spot, and the reaction it got. I expect it will only take a few more erasures before the tournament fighters realize who their real enemies are and team up against the gods.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

Totally unsurprised that the one guy who required literal drugs for a power up to fight a pre-training Buu and the two guys with easily avoidable gimmicks got knocked out in a heartbeat.

The tactics they used were actually pretty solid.

The only reason they didn't beat Goku and Vegeta was because U9 was dumb enough to bring Lavenda for the Exhibition Match.

If they had kept the poison power secret till the Tournament they wouldn't have been able to come up with appropiate countermeasures in time, and with no senzu that poison would have eventually worn Goku/Vegeta down...

...or not cause they are Goku/Vegeta and would have probably simply power-up yelled the poison out.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Isn't Super Saiyan supposed to be literally effortless for Goku, why is he waiting so long to chump idiots with that.

I mean I know why, it's because it's Dragon Ball and further saiyans are idiots, but c'mon son.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rutibex posted:

I am glad Zeno is erasing universes on the spot, and the reaction it got. I expect it will only take a few more erasures before the tournament fighters realize who their real enemies are and team up against the gods.

That would not work. They would just be erased. It took littlery no effort for Zen-Oh to erase all of U9 and all of it's members including its Gods. If another universe tired it they would just be erased on the spot as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

That would not work. They would just be erased. It took littlery no effort for Zen-Oh to erase all of U9 and all of it's members including its Gods. If another universe tired it they would just be erased on the spot as well.

Well someone better take a shot at Zeno, I am tired of that smug rear end in a top hat giggling all the time. I am sure someone will eventually get desperate and frustrated enough to try. Maybe Goku will teleport somewhere remote and use his button to remove Zeno.

When has a tournament in Dragonball ever finished the way its supposed to?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat I was not expecting them to get erased and it actually happened! Also their angel had a lil smirk at the end there! Something is up friends!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rutibex posted:

Well someone better take a shot at Zeno, I am tired of that smug rear end in a top hat giggling all the time. I am sure someone will eventually get desperate and frustrated enough to try. Maybe Goku will teleport somewhere remote and use his button to remove Zeno.

When has a tournament in Dragonball ever finished the way its supposed to?

All but the Buu Saga one. (Well Piccolo destroyed the Ring. But Goku followed the rules until the end and beat him within them.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Thoughts:

-Holy gently caress, that universe erasure was kind of unsettling, especially the way the Supreme Kai was losing his poo poo, the GoD was holding a stiff upper lip, the Angel was suspiciously happy and the way the Zenos still have that childlike attitude towards killing billions like its deleting an old simcity save is p effed up.

-Vegeta actually doing a bit of teamwork, look like he's absorbed a bit of what Gohan was trying to say despite his attitude.

-Frieza my man, hahaha, terrorizing a fighter enough so they voluntarily jump off the side and then get erased, that was brilliant. And people wanted Buu instead.

-18 doing work off screen apparently. Also has sunglasses next episode, must be for Krillin's super solar flare.

-Shin being a clueless idiot is now openly acknowledged by all of his coworkers. Poor guy, at least they have him as an audience surrogate.

-Feel like there's a lot of cutting to the Kais and GoDs on the bench, wonder if that's to save on difficult fighting animation. Things picked up in the latter half of the episode.

-Grand priest is up to something, I hope the tournament ends prematurely as everyone there unites to end his reign of terror.

Overall, fun times.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

All but the Buu Saga one. (Well Piccolo destroyed the Ring. But Goku followed the rules until the end and beat him within them.)

Goku turning into a giant ape is not a typical tournament. Goku fighting his dead grandfather is pretty unusual, though I guess its technically in the rules of Babas tournament. Tien blows up the ring vs kid Goku. The Cell games counts, and Cell blew up the ring and discarded the rules right away. The universe 6 vs 7 tournament almost ended with an all out brawl with the gods (before Zeno stepped in).

There is always a twist in DB tournaments.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Isn't Super Saiyan supposed to be literally effortless for Goku, why is he waiting so long to chump idiots with that.

I mean I know why, it's because it's Dragon Ball and further saiyans are idiots, but c'mon son.

it was in the cell saga but it feels like they forgot about that plot point, or at least are ignoring it for dramatic tension (which doesn't really work anyway because you know that goku's not actually trying until he goes blue)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

The twist this tournament is that it will be an actual tournament and no bullshit is going to interrupt it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

it was in the cell saga but it feels like they forgot about that plot point, or at least are ignoring it for dramatic tension (which doesn't really work anyway because you know that goku's not actually trying until he goes blue)

I like that the anime is making GBS threads all over the manga. According to the manga just transforming into the blue form eats up a huge chunk of stamina, which is why Vegita lost to Hit. But they seem to be doing it on and off for short bursts now lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This tournament is probably the most Frieza has ever walked in his entire life.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the fact the Universe was erased on the Spot makes me think it's a Grand Priest/Xeno (probably Grand Priest) plan to combine a bunch of bad, mostly empty universes together to make some space for new ones. Originally I'd been going with the Pride Troopers or Goku winning and then before all the universes were erased going 'I wish that all the loser universes and their planets were teleported into my universe', but this seems like it may legitimately have been either the Grand Priest or Xeno's plan all along to combine the universes or otherwise do something without murdering everyone. The smiling angel coupled with Whis going 'oh I dunno it looks gone to me' could indicate all of the Angels are in on it, but didn't tell anyone below them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how many forms the Grand Priest has. I am going to guess 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rutibex posted:

Goku turning into a giant ape is not a typical tournament. Goku fighting his dead grandfather is pretty unusual, though I guess its technically in the rules of Babas tournament. Tien blows up the ring vs kid Goku. The Cell games counts, and Cell blew up the ring and discarded the rules right away. The universe 6 vs 7 tournament almost ended with an all out brawl with the gods (before Zeno stepped in).

Those are not twists. They were little interludes as well or complications for it. And Cell Games was not a tournament.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cell Games was not a tournament.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
I really want Vegeta to scream "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the cell games lasting for 3 minutes in universe is still one of my favorite things. cell just flat out realizes how absurd the idea of the ring is given their galaxy ending strength at this juncture

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh yeah, Krillin and 18 focus next week!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
When we get to Gohan's spotlight fighting against Toppo I just want him to rip off his gi and reveal that he has the Saiyaman costume underneath while saying that he is also a Warrior of Justice.

Like come on Toei, ToppoxGohan must happen even more so than FrostxFrieza yaoi.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Goku and Vegeta pulling off an on-the-fly non-fusion Final Kamehameha was pretty rad. their combined beams looked pretty much identical to the Vegito Blue one

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Kelp Plankton posted:

Goku and Vegeta pulling off an on-the-fly non-fusion Final Kamehameha was pretty rad. their combined beams looked pretty much identical to the Vegito Blue one

i dunno, i dont rag on the art or direction of super but one thing i really dont like is the way the beams look. my favorite look for them was like goku vs vegeta in sayain saga or gohan vs cell final clash, the power just looks super raw. super has weirdly defined beams for whatever reason

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't like how Final Flash is just a casual move Vegeta can do whenever he wants in Super, might as well have him just use the Gallick Gun.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So since when can they just do loving barriers and whys it look exactly like whatever Krillins powerup was when they went to get Roshi's Weed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Well thats an entire team gone in just one swoop, thought that might take longer.I guess that's what you get when even the jerks who live there call their cosmos a dump.

Also I'm unhappy the rabbit girl didn't get to do anything because she was my favorite design on that team.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

Well thats an entire team gone in just one swoop, thought that might take longer.I guess that's what you get when even the jerks who live there call their cosmos a dump.

Also I'm unhappy the rabbit girl didn't get to do anything because she was my favorite design on that team.

Yeah kind of sad Sorrel lost to 18 offsceen.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It would be neat if next episode we actually rewinded a couple minutes earlier to see what the rest of the team was doing and get to see 18's fight vs bunny, but from the preview it doesn't seem likely.

tbp posted:

i dunno, i dont rag on the art or direction of super but one thing i really dont like is the way the beams look. my favorite look for them was like goku vs vegeta in sayain saga or gohan vs cell final clash, the power just looks super raw. super has weirdly defined beams for whatever reason

Personally I liked how Trio vs Goku and Vegeta didn't result in a beam clash struggle but rather the Trio getting completely overwhelmed to cement how hopelessly outclassed they were all along despite their good teamwork.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 9, 2017

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So wasn't it said that Angels cease to function when their GoD dies? So I'm guessing that U9 isn't actually erased and instead teleported somewhere

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ekusukariba posted:

So wasn't it said that Angels cease to function when their GoD dies? So I'm guessing that U9 isn't actually erased and instead teleported somewhere

His GoD did not die, he was erased.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

They said that angels are "inactive" if their universe doesn't have a GoD, which is why Future Whis wasn't hanging around to help with Zamasu/Black. Though what that actually means isn't clear. Could be that they just get time off and hangout in Zeno land instead. They also said at the start of the Tournament that the angels would be fine even if their universes were erased

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I like how they made Zeno's hand-raise gag look really unsettling after U9 got erased.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I like that the anime is making GBS threads all over the manga. According to the manga just transforming into the blue form eats up a huge chunk of stamina, which is why Vegita lost to Hit. But they seem to be doing it on and off for short bursts now lol

The anime and manga are doing two completely different things with their transformations. Not really one making GBS threads on the other.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The latest ep said Blue used a lot of stamina though, which seems contradictory to why Goku could use kaioken with it. It seems strange that the form based on ki control is still messing them up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

The latest ep said Blue used a lot of stamina though, which seems contradictory to why Goku could use kaioken with it. It seems strange that the form based on ki control is still messing them up.

It appears to simply be costly for Stamina, not for Ki thought. So it just makes them tired.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears to simply be costly for Stamina, not for Ki thought. So it just makes them tired.

I think that's a fair dichotomy. At this point Super Saiyan is low-effort for stamina, but higher-effort for ki. Blue has perfect ki control, but it'll physically wear your body out a bunch. Put Kaio-Ken on the former, and the power rush would probably tear you apart. Put it on the latter, you'll just wake up really sore the next morning.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cool episode with the end, this is some horrifying poo poo

And yeah I figured Super vs Blue is a matter of external and internal, one is venting ki like an exhaust engine of power, the other is holding divine ki in your body and not letting it destroy you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Wait if Rou and Sidra really were dead/erased wouldn't the u9 angel "deactivate" or whatever? Plus what Zeno did didn't look like when Beerus uses Destruction. I'm calling shenanigans.

HitTheTargets posted:

Since the Z Fighters blow other Earthlings out of the water, it would've been interesting if they had moved up to an intergalactic tournament between the WMAT and the Tournament of Power. Then you could use some of Babidi's henchmen.

Babidi's minions are such jobbers, they might as well fight King Chappa again or whoever

• Locked thread