Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

if you can deal with some scandinavian moon language here's a nice low key interview with mike stoklawslaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKy43Kgv7wk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

A Handed Missus posted:

is Jay gay?

Rich: He's actually not. I know people don't believe that.

But what does gay mean really?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Justin Credible posted:

In the book Jurassic Park Hammond gets devoured by Compys, the little hopping dinosaurs that are like a foot tall, a swarm of them with their infectious, poisonous mouths biting him to death. And the Asian scientist dude doesn't make it off to make a new park, he gets tricked by the raptors and lured out of the barracks or whatever by one so another could yank him up from above. The last one of the characters sees of him is him being eaten alive via a wound that exposes his intestines while he feebly beats on it's head.

He really should've died in the movie too but Spielberg is a big softie.

I was mostly bullshitting about the global warming link, but the story in Jurassic Park is really week. It made Newman the villain and he dies like half way through and he never even interacts with the protagonists. Would've been a lot cooler if Hammond was a bad guy, and like say Sam Neill tells him he's not going to approve the park, so Hammond locks him in the park with the dinosaurs to kill him and Sam Neill has to escape. Then the climatic battle could be the dinosaurs ripping Richard Attenborough to shreds and everyone cheering. The actual ending of JP was really weak.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I set out to make a Jurassic Park derail and I've knocked it outta the fuckin park here

Jurassic Park is great btw. It has some dumb stuff in it but it's great

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I will quite literally always talk about the first Jurassic park.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Schweinhund posted:

hammond was an entirely different character in the book tho.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Schweinhund posted:

Eh I think Hammond is a much better character in the movie than the book because in the book he's a caricature of every bad boss; in the movie he's basically a modern Andrew Carnegie (Scottish, obsessed with Dinosaurs, thinking providing entertainment/education to the working class would be better than just giving them higher wages). Jurassic Park kind of bums me out towards the end because really all this death and destruction was caused by a corporation not paying its employees fairly and the industrial espionage from competitors. I mean who wouldn't want a magic dinosaur zoo that isn't a aviary?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you think about it paying your employees what they are worth is as impossible for capitalism to keep itself under control as it is impossible for overweight men with glasses to not! put obscenely erotic imagery onto their wallpapers.

Basically what I'm saying is uh.... cost cutting finds a way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think The Phantom Menace may have been the first DVD I bought. I suppose that's fitting. gently caress movies.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy gently caress have you guys seen the Happening?

I know it's ancient but it's on here now and it's like some Tommy Wiseau poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PK4qYzNkI

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schweinhund posted:

I was mostly bullshitting about the global warming link, but the story in Jurassic Park is really week. It made Newman the villain and he dies like half way through and he never even interacts with the protagonists. Would've been a lot cooler if Hammond was a bad guy, and like say Sam Neill tells him he's not going to approve the park, so Hammond locks him in the park with the dinosaurs to kill him and Sam Neill has to escape. Then the climatic battle could be the dinosaurs ripping Richard Attenborough to shreds and everyone cheering. The actual ending of JP was really weak.

that sounds dumb as poo poo

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So uhh Spider-Man. It was tolerable. It was enough to appease the millions of mindless comic book fans. Did it do Spider-Man justice? No. The first 2 Sam Raimi movies are better in every single way.

Michael Keaton's vulture... Uhh it's ok I guess? He's a loving idiot junkyard collector who's smart friends make him a super suit. He then uses the super suit to steal shipments of alien technology for his family.

I was thoroughly unimpressed, it was pretty by the numbers. Maybe high school students will like it more.

:shrug:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Holy gently caress have you guys seen the Happening?

I know it's ancient but it's on here now and it's like some Tommy Wiseau poo poo.

Hey, you know what I bet's going on? The plants are killing everybody. They're sending out pollen that's telling everyone to kill themselves.
*stock roar*
OH! Whoa! I hear a mountain lion! I better get back to my tree-house and you guys better get back to your truck!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

WampaLord posted:

Yea, like, I guess one of them could have described him to a sketch artist or something, but that seems like going out of your way to be a dick to the dude who just saved you.

Also, no one is going to whip out their camera, they just almost loving died. They're all in shock.

Also, it's like 2005 or something, maybe not everyone had cameras on their phones yet, or they took really bad images, too.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It paints an optimistic view if humanity that I can never accept.

naem
May 29, 2011

I just saw turbokid and it's the best thing I've ever seen

I love you apple

Omg her name is apple I just got the joke

naem
May 29, 2011

Is this what French Canadians look like? Because, I want, to go, to there

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a bone to pick posted:

So uhh Spider-Man. It was tolerable. It was enough to appease the millions of mindless comic book fans. Did it do Spider-Man justice? No. The first 2 Sam Raimi movies are better in every single way.

Michael Keaton's vulture... Uhh it's ok I guess? He's a loving idiot junkyard collector who's smart friends make him a super suit. He then uses the super suit to steal shipments of alien technology for his family.

I was thoroughly unimpressed, it was pretty by the numbers. Maybe high school students will like it more.

Actually you're scientifically wrong and let me just bust out the numbers to prove it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Arielrocks5/status/883586745190809600

Would watch.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I watched Kingdom of Heaven director's cut after seeing recommendations continuously pop out.

it was so boring. I realized I had watched the theater cut years ago but forgot everything about it because orlando bloom is so dumb and unlikeable in this. the script is so hamfisted and nothing feels important. ridley scott is the truest hack.

bladerunner 2049 is gonna be so lame if ridley really got to meddle with it :smithcloud:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

naem posted:

I just saw turbokid and it's the best thing I've ever seen

I love you apple

Omg her name is apple I just got the joke

Turbo kid is really really good.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
just got back from watching The Spiderman(tm) in 3D (of course) and WOW! This latest movie-flavoured processed Marvel product does not disappoint. It stars a teenage boy as Peter Parker, who acquires the powers of a spider and promptly begins laying his egg clutches in the chest cavities of Gotham's most exciting baddies! Marvel Pictures Inc.'s cutting edge 3D graphics really bring to life The Spiderman's eight grotesque legs, each grasping in their hideous claw a different promotional poster for another upcoming Marvel product film, all while trying to conceal his sickening new Kafka-esque form from the nubile Mary-Jane Watson. Also of note is the return of Micheal Keaton, whose astounding performance as the infamous Vulture(tm) converted all who witnessed it into beings of pure light, and I write to you now from a place beyond time to encourage you to spend your money on The Spiderman, you disposable loving zeroes

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

naem posted:

Is this what French Canadians look like? Because, I want, to go, to there

it's a good film and everyone in Canada is good looking except me

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

Thanks for bringing this down a couple notches. All the hype was starting to get to me, and I really did not want to pay movie theater prices to go watch yet another goddamn superhero flick. This puts me firmly back into rental territory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
RLM should do a Re:View of Conan the Barbarian. I watched it again recently and it's still a pretty fun movie with great music, and the amount of ripoffs it has rivals Mad Max. Hell, the Scorpion King franchise is pretty much Conan in ancient Egypt.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Spider-Man: Comehoming was good. It was the most fun I've had watching a superhero film in ages.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Arcsquad12 posted:

RLM should do a Re:View of Conan the Barbarian. I watched it again recently and it's still a pretty fun movie with great music, and the amount of ripoffs it has rivals Mad Max. Hell, the Scorpion King franchise is pretty much Conan in ancient Egypt.

The best Conan riff I've ever seen was Beastmaster.

Did that gain any momentum as a great 'B' movie after cable stopped playing it every weekend?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In spider-man homecoming Sony wanted to ridicule Jon Favreau for making Marvel studios so successful.

So for the entire movie he's a whipping boy bitch who fucks up all his jobs, gets treated like poo poo, and looks like he wants to kill himself the whole time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first Scorpion King is pretty good as far as Conan the Barbarian ripoffs go, much like how the first two movies are decent Indy ripoffs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

The first Scorpion King is pretty good as far as Conan the Barbarian ripoffs go, much like how the first two movies are decent Indy ripoffs

Bernard Hill as a mad scientist was a weird turn to take immediately after playing Theoden.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the good fax machine posted:

Stop using your phone in the movie theater, you big jerk! :mad:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spied Yer Man (Jay) : Homo Cumming

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Spied Yer Man (Jay) : Homo Cumming

Torturous.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
not to worry ya'll, I didn't make that post in the movie theater, I made it in the movie theater bathroom during one of my four piss breaks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've never had to go to the toilet during a movie at a theatre. Have you got a bladder infection or are you pregnant?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

not to worry ya'll, I didn't make that post in the movie theater, I made it in the movie theater bathroom during one of my four piss breaks.

Jesus, that might be as bad as texting in the theater. I'd trip you the third time you shuffled past me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real frequent cinema pisser pros will be sitting on the edge of the aisle

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Or just using their empty 2 litre Big Gulp so they don't have to miss the film? :confused:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I went out for a piss during the last five minutes of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and missed the ending :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Blue Star posted:

Feathers on dinosaurs was still highly speculative back in 1993, and even then, only on certain dinosaurs (the really, REALLY birdlike ones). Nowadays there's reason to think that pretty much all dinosaurs, even sauropods and whatnot, had some kind of feathers on at least some part of their body.

JP wasnt perfectly scientifically accurate (spitting dilophosaurus, velociraptors too big) but overall it tried to be "up to date" about dinosaurs. Jurassic World deliberately ignored modern science in way more egregious ways than JP ever did. One thing to make velociraptor too big, another to just say "Meh, all paleontology over the past 20 years is bullshit, lets make dinosaurs more like we thought they were in the 1950s".

Yeah good point.... On the other hand who cares it's a pretend movie not real life

• Locked thread