Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Louisgod posted:

Snake Pass loving sucks. Holy god are the controls beyond terrible. Do not buy that trash.

learn the noodle, become the noodle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No he's right, I did not enjoy my time at all with Snake Pass.

I was hyping it up before release, bought it.. and the controls are loving terrible. Just could not grok the movement whatsoever.

HD Snake Rattle N Roll remake IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZd1Almdwug

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

While I was walking into work today I was hit with an idea for a Fire Emblem x Advance Wars game with a plot inspired by the modernization of Japan's army. I really want that now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Movement has a steep learning curve for sure, and it's kinda dumb that they wait a bit to tell you how to grip around poles, but once you know how all the buttons work together it's not too bad. Mastering the controls really do seem to be the main challenge of the game, but the game's also forgiving enough to keep let you retrying for power-ups without any real penalties. I've only played three levels so far though so I may end up hating it later on. For now, I like the unique approach it takes, even if it's difficult to make the snake do what you want at first.

Also, Stardew Valley is great and really the direction the Harvest Moon series should've gone instead of whatever the hell direction they did go.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

While I was walking into work today I was hit with an idea for a Fire Emblem x Advance Wars game with a plot inspired by the modernization of Japan's army. I really want that now.

Fire Wars: The Last Samurai.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got 100% in Snake Pass and had a blast doing it. Sorry you guys are bad at video games!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Brought my Switch to the family weekend, had a blast playing with everyone. Then let it out of my sight for 5 minutes and one of the brats managed to put the joy-con straps on backwards. Fortunately this video saved my rear end easily without breaking anything. A must-see and should be in OP!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8iWePQ_ZCP4&feature=youtu.be

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
It'd be cool if as soon as you pull the Switch tablet out of the box it played a video on how to properly attach and detach the straps. I broke the lock on one of them on the first day.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo of Japan at least published an official how-to in how to deal with wrongly inserted joy-con straps, it's weird I haven't seen similar videos on the other Nintendo sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMMIYWpROsw

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mega64 posted:

Movement has a steep learning curve for sure, and it's kinda dumb that they wait a bit to tell you how to grip around poles, but once you know how all the buttons work together it's not too bad. Mastering the controls really do seem to be the main challenge of the game, but the game's also forgiving enough to keep let you retrying for power-ups without any real penalties. I've only played three levels so far though so I may end up hating it later on. For now, I like the unique approach it takes, even if it's difficult to make the snake do what you want at first.

Also, Stardew Valley is great and really the direction the Harvest Moon series should've gone instead of whatever the hell direction they did go.

Yes to both of these things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Snake Pass loving sucks. Holy god are the controls beyond terrible. Do not buy that trash.

It seems nice but it's weirdly blurry in portable mode, which makes it kind of unpleasant to look at.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rexroom posted:

Nintendo of Japan at least published an official how-to in how to deal with wrongly inserted joy-con straps, it's weird I haven't seen similar videos on the other Nintendo sites.

LOL solution: yank it off

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Snake Pass is neat and the whole point is learning to snake.

If trying to wrap your head around an unintuitive control scheme until it clicks and you become snek sounds fun to you, get it! If that sounds bad, get something else!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
new find in the mario odyssey song, there's another dk reference that isnt the 25m beat. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RUjfw3gih1

loving swear if DK isnt in this... (god, imagine if one of the worlds is DK isle and mario steals bananas and DK comes to NEW DONK CITY looking for them and pauline is wearing a banana dress)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

new find in the mario odyssey song, there's another dk reference that isnt the 25m beat. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RUjfw3gih1

loving swear if DK isnt in this... (god, imagine if one of the worlds is DK isle and mario steals bananas and DK comes to NEW DONK CITY looking for them and pauline is wearing a banana dress)

Bowser is going to steal the bananas for the wedding or maybe you take over Bowser to fight Donkey Kong.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cranky Kong's too old for this poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
pearl and marina are the bombs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mario odyssey is taking a leaf out of Kojima's book in that you play as Mario for like 2 hours but for the rest of the game you play as Donkey Kong

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

mario odyssey is taking a leaf out of Kojima's book in that you play as Mario for like 2 hours but for the rest of the game you play as Donkey Kong

You play as Mario, up until the first time you die. After that you play as Luigi for the rest of the game, looking for his missing brother :unsmigghh:.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You play as Mario, up until the first time you die. After that you play as Luigi for the rest of the game, looking for his missing brother :unsmigghh:.

Finally the gritty Mario reboot we deserve

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Bum the Sad posted:

LOL solution: yank it off
That's what I did when I put them on upside down the very first time.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bill Barber posted:

That's what I did when I put them on upside down the very first time.

Same here. I think there’s a more delicate way though. You can press up on something with a paper clip or some poo poo so it’s less violent.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Rexroom posted:

:laffo: I would have never thought to do this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am always extremely paranoid and cautious when it comes to handling new hardware. I was reluctant to even use the kickstand or open the SDcard slot too wide for fear they might break off and I examined the Joycon straps for a couple minutes until I was sure I understood how all the parts fit together

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

did you buy a screen protector

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

a.lo posted:

did you buy a screen protector

I embedded mine in a block of lucite

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Strawberry Panda posted:

Is it weird I only dock my Switch to charge and never to play?

No, this is the correct path

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strawberry Panda posted:

thats what i do

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

incoherent posted:

Pages old post, but apparently (via destructoid) playgrounds was coded so badly they can't fit the update in the size restriction nintendo has for updates.
After having to download a 17GB patch for Final Fantasy XV yesterday, I'd just like to say that I support this policy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say, it was brilliant of Nintendo to make controllers instantly pair no matter what if they are connected to the switch.

I had a couple of friends over last night and we were going to do some 3 player ARMs. I have two sets of joycons, so does one of my friends. The fact that he could just snap his joycons onto my switch to pair instantly (and then the same to go back to his switch later) makes stuff like that so much better. No more screwing around in menus and waiting for things to sync up. It's so much better than I remember about when we had to do the same with Wiimotes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's dumb, fix a thing, release an update, fix another thing, release an update. I bet NBA playgrounds users would be happier taking an incremental update every day than dealing with the poo poo the devs pooped out on day one forever.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea, syncing has never been fun on Nintendo consoles, until now. It's cool too, how they recognize the color of the controller in the interface, which makes it easier to figure out who's P1, P2, P3

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
when your game isnt on the switch

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I threw mine away into the garbage

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's dumb, fix a thing, release an update, fix another thing, release an update. I bet NBA playgrounds users would be happier taking an incremental update every day than dealing with the poo poo the devs pooped out on day one forever.

Depending on how the game is built making a small change can require replacing large files.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Depending on how the game is built making a small change can require replacing large files.

Also, aren't game patches cumulative?

I mean, if you wipe everything and start from scratch, you aren't going to have to apply successive game patches on the existing games. You just jump straight to the current version.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

when your game isnt on the switch

sonic crash spyro knack is totally gonna replace mario as the de facto popular video game platform mascot wrap it up nintendoomed

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

sonic crash spyro knack is totally gonna replace mario as the de facto popular video game platform mascot wrap it up nintendoomed

I can't wait until people extrapolate the sales of Knack 2 in...I guess the UK is probably the best bet being better than Mario Odyssey as undeniable proof Knack is better than Mario in every way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Now that Crash is owned by Activision, honestly it would be perfect for the Switch

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I can't wait until people extrapolate the sales of Knack 2 in...I guess the UK is probably the best bet being better than Mario Odyssey as undeniable proof Knack is better than Mario in every way.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/874389504156618752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Regarding the keyboard. A lot of people in this thread forgot about Dragon Quest X getting a port in Japan...

• Locked thread