Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Except when the Hathaway did exactly that in the episode Peak Performance: warp one for just under two seconds, thanks to Wesley cheating at the war game and sneaking some antimatter on board. (Two seconds at warp one wouldn't even get you all the way to the Moon.)

Yeah it's not that, but what cheetah7071 said is plausible. The problems with warping within a gravity well, plus they had to get to the Bashir changeling's runabout right now so the Defiant had to go full throttle and then stop on a dime. Presumably normal warp navigation is carefully calculated for minimal interference and doesn't involve flooring it and then slamming on the brakes right on the doorstep of stellar masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine in a populated system you also have the risk of GRAVIMETRIC ANOMALIES from all that space-warpin'. You know, like the space climate change but on a lower scale since I gather warp drive actually doesn't move the ship, so much as warp space around it.

If you keep your intrinsic velocity you might also want to stay clear of large objects to avoid sudden swerves and mishaps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Has ejecting the warp core ever worked in a core breach emergency? I know they ejected it in JJ Trek, but that wasn't a breach.

Ejections systems work fine when they're not the Enterprise-D. Voyager popped hers a few times, The E popped hers... the D's was just flawed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

Ejections systems work fine when they're not the Enterprise-D. Voyager popped hers a few times, The E popped hers... the D's was just flawed.

Yeah, the Galaxy class looked good on the recruitment posters but there's a reason they didn't build a lot of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

Yeah, the Galaxy class looked good on the recruitment posters but there's a reason they didn't build a lot of them.

Hey, we saw a lot during the Dominion War. Kicked arse, too.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you cover each half of his face, you either get Sad McCoy or Grinning McCoy.

I can't believe no one's done this yet:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The ejection system is literally always offline.

Having an ejection system for the ship's primary power plant always seemed silly to me: all you're doing is taking the thing that's about to go KABOOM and launching it into the void of space, where it's going to float around, still within 'oh poo poo' range, as an uncontrollable, unstable matter-antimatter bomb amongst burning firefight debris.

Wouldn't a 'quenching' system work better instead? - Geordi then gets to do his stupid dramatic gymnastics underneath the isolation door, but then Engineering is out of bounds for a few weeks because, uh, radiation?, and everything's on minimal power until the ship can limp back to a Starbase.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Powered Descent posted:

Except when the Hathaway did exactly that in the episode Peak Performance: warp one for just under two seconds, thanks to Wesley cheating at the war game and sneaking some antimatter on board. (Two seconds at warp one wouldn't even get you all the way to the Moon.)

Not to mention the Picard manoeuvre, which is warping a distance of about 2km

(wait, that might be in the very episode you mention... I forget)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well, I never understood why it just doesn't dump out the antimatter and vent the drive plasma. Or disconnect the antimatter tanks. Problem solved.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well presumably the antimatter is being suspended in a vacuum with some sort of technobabble magic, and if that magic gets blasted by the enemy phasers, then the ship goes boom--even if you disconnect the antimatter containment from the engine, the antimatter even touching the containment device blows everything up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

spincube posted:

Having an ejection system for the ship's primary power plant always seemed silly to me: all you're doing is taking the thing that's about to go KABOOM and launching it into the void of space, where it's going to float around, still within 'oh poo poo' range, as an uncontrollable, unstable matter-antimatter bomb amongst burning firefight debris.

Wouldn't a 'quenching' system work better instead? - Geordi then gets to do his stupid dramatic gymnastics underneath the isolation door, but then Engineering is out of bounds for a few weeks because, uh, radiation?, and everything's on minimal power until the ship can limp back to a Starbase.

They have emergency shutdowns, but that never works because of narratiivium. Core eject is the last resort after that.

Ejecting isn't too silly; a nuke or core breach or whatever next to you in space would be orders or magnitude less destructive than one inside you, because the hull can bounce gamma rays away without it being in a contained space. It's not like in an atmosphere where the air instantly converts the energy. (That's why if we ever wanted to use nukes as space weapons we'd probably have to use shaped bombs like the Casaba Howitzer)

Plus, they can still run what's left of shields and/or light up the impulse engine or even thrusters to get further away.

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, I never understood why it just doesn't dump out the antimatter and vent the drive plasma. Or disconnect the antimatter tanks. Problem solved.

The antimatter in the tanks is never a problem; the systems they use there seem pretty stable. Core breaches happen when the antimatter actually in the core already becomes a problem, since it's a much less stable system due to its purpose.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 9, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not to mention the Picard manoeuvre, which is warping a distance of about 2km

(wait, that might be in the very episode you mention... I forget)

Picard's battle tactic only needed his ship to go to lightspeed - Warp 1 - to confuse their opponents' lightspeed sensors: maybe short, slow jumps like that are more controllable than going balls-to-the-wall warp 8 and slamming on the brakes? Plus, inside a star system you're going to have inter-system traffic at warp speed - don't tell me it still takes the Federation a month to get to the Utopia Planitia shipyards on Mars from San Francisco?

Civilian craft might be able to safely go into warp inside star system as they're comparatively small - a jetski out on a lake isn't going to present much danger, but drop a gigantic luxury cruise liner into the same waters and someone's going to get wet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Earth to Mars at impulse would be anything from twelve minutes to about two hours depending on planetary positions.

Both the D and the Borg had to drop from warp at Jupiter, for what it's worth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cochrane and co seemed to warp for a few minutes in First Contact and they only got about as far as the moon?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

The antimatter in the tanks is never a problem; the systems they use there seem pretty stable. Core breaches happen when the antimatter actually in the core already becomes a problem, since it's a much less stable system due to its purpose.

Yeah so you stop putting antimatter in it. It's not like a fission reactor where shutting down is a huge process. No more antimatter going in = reaction over, problem eliminated.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
^^^ ah but you see you've forgotten to take into account the MODULATED PULSE DISTORTION and the AMBIENT DAMPENING CONTROLLER

(courtesy of this http://www.ds10.org/Database/babble.html :haw:)

The_Doctor posted:

Cochrane and co seemed to warp for a few minutes in First Contact and they only got about as far as the moon?

they did a zig-zag

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah so you stop putting antimatter in it. It's not like a fission reactor where shutting down is a huge process. No more antimatter going in = reaction over, problem eliminated.

Yeah I think the problem is that you're losing control of what's already in there, I doubt they keep pumping it in. If even a few atoms of what's already in loses it for a second then the rest chains up. I don't think that all the stuff inside is instantly expended if you turn off the tap.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 9, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Orv posted:

According to the aforementioned book, it's engaging warp drive in a gravity well that's a problem. Presumably warping into a gravity well is fine, because they go directly from travel to orbit all the time.

I never properly read Prime Directive (despite owning it) but it was easily my favorite abridged audiobook. Wonder if I can find my old hardcover and give it a shot as an adult, or maybe I'll try to hunt down a paperback at Shore Leave today.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

galenanorth posted:

That makes me imagine one of the characters from Frasier going "ugh, space drivel". I think there was an episode with a character ashamed to write/act for a space opera-type show

Sort of. He was tired of being typecast and missed the theater, but then it turned out he was hilariously awful and the physical personification of the scenery devouring Shakespeare ACT-TOR.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Yeah it's not that, but what cheetah7071 said is plausible. The problems with warping within a gravity well, plus they had to get to the Bashir changeling's runabout right now so the Defiant had to go full throttle and then stop on a dime. Presumably normal warp navigation is carefully calculated for minimal interference and doesn't involve flooring it and then slamming on the brakes right on the doorstep of stellar masses.

No, it's just a writing inconsistency.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

Sort of. He was tired of being typecast and missed the theater, but then it turned out he was hilariously awful and the physical personification of the scenery devouring Shakespeare ACT-TOR.

Sounds like Star Trek's bread and butter.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, I feel like this thread is contorting itself way more than usual to hand-wave away silly writing just because it was a DS9 episode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beachcomber posted:

Has ejecting the warp core ever worked in a core breach emergency? I know they ejected it in JJ Trek, but that wasn't a breach.
It worked in one episode of Voyager. They fried the warp coils and B'elanna had to Klingon curse and get grease everywhere to fix it.

Meanwhile the core is floating in space and the rest of the episode is them trying to get it back from the Kazon or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Sounds like Star Trek's bread and butter.

It was amazing because said ham actor was portrayed by Derek Jacobi, who was so pitch-perfect he was nominated for an Emmy for the role.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Couldn't find Prime Directive, but did snag Stitch in Time for $3. :hellyeah:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

After The War posted:

You're in for a real treat. It's great read.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

After The War posted:

That one is great!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

galenanorth posted:

That makes me imagine one of the characters from Frasier going "ugh, space drivel". I think there was an episode with a character ashamed to write/act for a space opera-type show

Everything I hear about Voyager makes me glad I quit it 2 episodes in; is Enterprise any better?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After The War posted:

If memory serves, as Andrew J. Robinson began getting more and more appearances on the show, he started keeping an "in-character" journal as Garak, and then finally a guy from Pocket Books heard Robinson read from it at a convention and suggested that he turn it into a full-length book. It's a phenomenal read (one of the very, very, very, very few Trek books to which that label can be applied).

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Everything I hear about Voyager makes me glad I quit it 2 episodes in; is Enterprise any better?

Enterprise is like that kind of gangly kid from down the street who comes over to the park and asks to join your neighborhood game. You're like, sure, come on in, grab a glove.

And he tries. Oh, he tries so hard. But the first ball that's hit to him, it knocks him on the head. You think, "OK, maybe he's just nervous." But then five more fly balls conk him right on the noggin and he just stares forward. And then you think, "OK, maybe let's switch things up. C'mon, guy, how about you play shortstop?" And he takes a routine grounder cleanly, and he ... throws it right into the second baseman's face. You sigh heavily and say, "It's okay, buddy. It's your turn to swing, have at it!" And you decide you're going to pitch, because you feel bad for this kid, and you really just want him to be able to go home and tell his Mom and Dad that he had a great time at the park, so you groove a meatball down the plate. He clobbers it ... only he swings so hard that he clobbers himself in the face with his bat that he knocks himself out cold and you have to help him go home and when his Mom opens the door with her horrified look, you just say, "Um, Mrs. Trek ... we kind of broke Star." And then he's homeschooled and not seen in public again for four years, though occasionally people say in hushed whispers, "Remember that kid?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, I feel like this thread is contorting itself way more than usual to hand-wave away silly writing just because it was a DS9 episode.

Hi, welcome to Star Trek.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Prime Directive is also genuinely good, and I think it holds up as I reread it just a few years ago. It's a lot like a missing TOS movie, just longer, and that comes through pretty well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Bitch I will cut you

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why are the Kardashians a Star Trek race?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why are the Kardashians a Star Trek race?

Because one of them got famous for having a big rear end and a sex tape and the other races uplifted them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

If the Kardashian are Cardassians what does that make Kanye? A rapping Bajoran?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well he supports Kim so he's probably a changeling. Us solids just can't understand his dope lyrics.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Well he supports Kim so he's probably a changeling. Us solids just can't understand his dope lyrics.

Changeling Kanye makes sense. I can see it.

With both my eyes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

If the Kardashian are Cardassians what does that make Kanye? A rapping Bajoran?

Anjohl Tennan doesn't care about the Bajoran Resistance

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Fromage posted:

The ejection system is literally always offline.

Like fuses, certain engineering tech has been lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Orv posted:

Speaking of hosed up timelines. :v:
Oops. I originally wrote Shinzon before I remembered that was the wrong bad movie (kinda) Romulan, but ended up still making the same mistake. Shoulda just gone with Tatoo Romulan.