Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lawen posted:

I'm looking for some really, really good hard candy. Something a few steps up from Werther's Originals or Brach's Strawberry Bonbons (though those are both very good). Willing to try pretty much any flavor or flavor profile but I generally don't like licorice/anise.

Some cursory research led to a couple fruit flavored candies from Italy and Belgium that sounded good. Also some Asian/Japanese stuff with either barley sugar or ginger that sounded interesting though some of the more esoteric Asian candies I've tried in the past haven't really been my thing.

Suggestions?

Kopiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm in need of a computer chair. I've been sitting on a crappy Ikea chair for the past 4 years and I'm sick of it. I'm basically looking for something that will last a long time and be super comfortable. I'm not looking for anything super pricey, but I don't know what is considered a good price for a chair. I sat on this for a while in the store, but I didn't know about the longevity of the chair, so I didn't pick it up. I think $200 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Lawen posted:

I'm looking for some really, really good hard candy. Something a few steps up from Werther's Originals or Brach's Strawberry Bonbons (though those are both very good). Willing to try pretty much any flavor or flavor profile but I generally don't like licorice/anise.

Some cursory research led to a couple fruit flavored candies from Italy and Belgium that sounded good. Also some Asian/Japanese stuff with either barley sugar or ginger that sounded interesting though some of the more esoteric Asian candies I've tried in the past haven't really been my thing.

Suggestions?

a restaurant near us had these in a dish on the front counter, I loved them so much I had to buy some (not super esoteric but I've never seen these in a store): https://www.amazon.com/Candy-Crate-Key-Lime-Disks/dp/B002E4AFJQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498107378&sr=8-4&keywords=lime+candy

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

obi_ant posted:

I'm in need of a computer chair. I've been sitting on a crappy Ikea chair for the past 4 years and I'm sick of it. I'm basically looking for something that will last a long time and be super comfortable. I'm not looking for anything super pricey, but I don't know what is considered a good price for a chair. I sat on this for a while in the store, but I didn't know about the longevity of the chair, so I didn't pick it up. I think $200 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

how tall/heavy are you? at 6'4, 280 I think that chair lasted me a couple of years, maybe 3?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

obi_ant posted:

There's a whole computer chair thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been really loving the 3D White heads with the little pink rubber piece in the middle. I understand that's similar to some dentist tool, is that right?

Also throwing in my vote for Oral B. I've had one of theirs for about 12 years and it hasn't had a single issue.

It looks like the prophy cup your hygienist uses to polish your teeth at the end of your cleaning (aka, the part of the cleaning people like). Will having that in your brush help? I-unno. Maybe. I can imagine it helping with surface stains or stubborn plaque. But the important thing is, it probably won't hurt you, so if you like it, go for it! :D

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

JPrime posted:

how tall/heavy are you? at 6'4, 280 I think that chair lasted me a couple of years, maybe 3?

Oh that's not too bad. Three years is pretty good.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Look into whether you can write your chair off on your taxes to see if the added 20% off gives you the budget to go higher. I went through a mountain of $100-200 chairs that had a rip or a broken wheel before finally investing in a Herman Miller Aeron B like 3 or 4 years ago and I wish I could go back in time and make myself get it sooner.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

obi_ant posted:

I had that for a few years and it was super comfy, I'm 6'3" and it was nice to be able to lean my head back. My cat loved to scratch it up but besides that it held up great.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Thanks gal or guy this looks pooooifect

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

obi_ant posted:

Oh that's not too bad. Three years is pretty good.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Take that thread's advice (spend more $$$) to heart. I spent money on a good chair and it has been worth it absolutely. The nicer steelcase stuff is really good and if you look for used/office liquidations you can find it in your price range.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Lawen posted:

Suggestions?

I can't believe it's taken this long, but you should really check out the goon-run Raley's Confectionary; it's easily the best hard candy I've ever had and the flavors are incredible, plus they have cute little designs embedded in them.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for candy suggestions, everyone!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Raley's, some Kopiko, some guava candy, and some tamarind candy. Made a list of the other suggestions and am trying to find a good/reasonably priced source for them (non-Prime, weird third party Amazon sellers aren't real high on my list). Will probably put in a big order with candywarehouse soon to fill in gaps. I'll report back (or make a Goons With Spoons thread) when I have everything and am ready to do a hard candy shootout.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Lawen posted:

Thanks for candy suggestions, everyone!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Raley's, some Kopiko, some guava candy, and some tamarind candy. Made a list of the other suggestions and am trying to find a good/reasonably priced source for them (non-Prime, weird third party Amazon sellers aren't real high on my list). Will probably put in a big order with candywarehouse soon to fill in gaps. I'll report back (or make a Goons With Spoons thread) when I have everything and am ready to do a hard candy shootout.

Another suggestion for you, sakuma drops. Probably still my favorite drop candy. https://www.amazon.com/Sakumas-Drops-grams-Can-Japan/dp/B00GC0W3NY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The AliExpress Thread has many product recommendations at low prices. It's also a good place to ask for recommendations for AliExpress-friendly items.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's a good multi-device charging station? Wife wants a central spot to charge our two phones (Samsung Galaxy S6 and Google Pixel XL) and one tablet (Galaxy Tab 2). She'd prefer wireless but wired is fine if there's a large price discrepancy, though I honestly have no idea if the Pixel supports wireless charging and doubt the tablet can be charged wirelessly.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

C-Euro posted:

What's a good multi-device charging station? Wife wants a central spot to charge our two phones (Samsung Galaxy S6 and Google Pixel XL) and one tablet (Galaxy Tab 2). She'd prefer wireless but wired is fine if there's a large price discrepancy, though I honestly have no idea if the Pixel supports wireless charging and doubt the tablet can be charged wirelessly.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-multiport-usb-wall-charger/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

C-Euro posted:

After looking at many devices that were designed to hold phones while charging, I found that you can get better items that are cheaper if you are willing to modify a remote control organizer designed for a coffee table. Try looking there?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Any recommendations for basic bed frame or bed frame with storage drawers?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

colas posted:

Any recommendations for basic bed frame or bed frame with storage drawers?

I like Ikea for this

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking for men's workout shorts with built in mesh undies. Mainly for lifting, has to have pockets.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

Looking for men's workout shorts with built in mesh undies. Mainly for lifting, has to have pockets.

I absolutely love my Patagonia Nine Trails shorts. Liner. Zip pockets. Good length.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

After looking at many devices that were designed to hold phones while charging, I found that you can get better items that are cheaper if you are willing to modify a remote control organizer designed for a coffee table. Try looking there?

I didn't even know remote control racks were a thing. What'd you end up doing?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking to buy some "quality" beef sticks. Some artisan, hippy, delicious poo poo. Any suggestions I can buy online?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking to buy some "quality" beef sticks. Some artisan, hippy, delicious poo poo. Any suggestions I can buy online?

My local butcher sells some, consider trying to find some locally? They should at least be able to point you to a local source.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I didn't even know remote control racks were a thing. What'd you end up doing?

edit: I was gonna get all super weird about it, but here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-808-Bamboo-Organizer/dp/B001037LGC/

Drill holes in that. Push your cables through, however you're gonna get that done. Put zip ties around the cables so the cables can't get pulled through the holes you drilled. Stick a wireless charger pad wherever that's gonna go, and maybe add a sticky thing of some kind to the top of it so your phone doesn't pull away from it.

~ta-da~

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jul 7, 2017

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone got recs for gaming headsets under $100 that are comfy for people with heads on the small side?

ETA: forgot to mention I'm in Australia so actually I mean like under $70 or so if you're American.

Organza Quiz has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Jul 8, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Organza Quiz posted:

Anyone got recs for gaming headsets under $100 that are comfy for people with heads on the small side?

Don't know about small heads, since fit in the end is very much an individual thing, but the HyperX Cloud headset is really great for the price. Good mic, which you can remove, two kind of ear pieces (pleather and foam), does sound quite good for the price range.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

Don't know about small heads, since fit in the end is very much an individual thing, but the HyperX Cloud headset is really great for the price. Good mic, which you can remove, two kind of ear pieces (pleather and foam), does sound quite good for the price range.

I've got a white version of these and can confirm they work very well and feel comfortable. With the adjustable headset I can get it as small as my opened hand. Unless you're dealing with a shrunken Voodoo sized type head you should be ok.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Decius posted:

I have the black version of this and I can confirm it's great on my unusually tiny head - sounds great too. If this one ever dies I'll get the same as a replacement.

The little control box that allows you to mute and change volume died about 2 weeks in, but it's NBD to me because I never used it anyway; It's modular so I just took it out of the circuit and threw it away. I also put on the furry pads over the pleather ones, but both are good.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Jul 8, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

As a possibly unsolicited piece of headset advice, I highly recommend the Arctis series of headsets from Steelseries. The Arctis 3 MSRP is 80 bucks, 5 is 100, and 7 is 150. They all use the same ear cups, which are fantastic. They use a somewhat stretchy band they call "ski goggle bands" allowing you to set the size of the headset at one level, without having to worry about the position of the cups sliding up and down idly or whatever.

The 3 models all have a great mic and great drivers, along with on-headset volume and mute. The 3 uses a 3.5mm plug. The 5 and 7 actually register as 3 devices though- mic, chat speaker, and game speaker. The 5 connects with USB with an optional (but included) mixer that lets you change the chat and game volumes relative to each other, so if your game is too loud and you can't hear the chat, you can adjust that without going into a settings menu, and additionally it has fake 7.1 surround.

The 7 has all of that, but it's 2.4ghz wireless, and the mixer is built into the right headset cup. The battery in the 7 lasts about 20 hours and charges very quickly. It doesn't have to negotiate directly with the device it's connected to, because it instead connects to a USB dongle. So even though it's a wireless headset, the thing you're connecting it to sees it as USB.

If you do get the 7, it also has this poo poo in the dongle- Line In/Line Out

Basically the idea is you can run line in to the dongle and it'll play mixed into the headset, if the headset is on. If you have something connected in the line out jack, the dongle will send audio through line out to your speakers or whatever, but it mutes that and sends to headphones as soon as the headphones are turned on, so you don't have to swap sources in your OS. To me, that's loving huge.

Anyways that's my recommendation, cya!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So my dog has decided, in her old age, that making GBS threads inside the house is actually pretty awesome. So my house smells like dog poo poo. I use that Nature's Miracle enzyme spray that's supposed to clean up dog mess and eliminate odor so the dog won't go there anymore (even though she totally will, because for her it's more about the location than the smell), and it smells marginally better than the dog poo poo.

I've got febreeze and I've got scented wax burners and I even have some incense, but I'm wondering if there's something else I could be using to help dispel this stinky cloud I'm living in. (Yes, behavior modification for the source, but honestly she's at the stage where that probably won't be an issue for very much longer.)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Anti Icky Poo works better than Nature's Miracle, may have to order it off Amazon though.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Is there a thread for mattresses somewhere? I'm trying to decide between all these new internet ones like purple and casper, or be talked out of the idea completely. I have a nice mattress from a regular store but I'm doing a cross country move and don't want to lug it with me. Since I've bought that one I've heard a dillion podcast ads for the it-comes-in-a-box kinds and I'm curious - also it would save me a lot of hassle to just have it waiting in the lobby of my new place when I get there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

life is a joke posted:

Is there a thread for mattresses somewhere? I'm trying to decide between all these new internet ones like purple and casper, or be talked out of the idea completely. I have a nice mattress from a regular store but I'm doing a cross country move and don't want to lug it with me. Since I've bought that one I've heard a dillion podcast ads for the it-comes-in-a-box kinds and I'm curious - also it would save me a lot of hassle to just have it waiting in the lobby of my new place when I get there.

I dig the hell out of my Purple mattress and my Purple pillows, but unfortunately it would be ridiculously expensive to actually try all of them unless you wanna be the dick who buys them all and sends back the ones they don't like using the refund policy they all have.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

life is a joke posted:

I went here:
https://www.themattressunderground.com/

I spent about an hour reading the stuff the site operator said to read. That helped me understand more about mattresses in general.

Then I found several local shops, tested some in-store models, and eventually bought a $1500 latex support mattress and latex comfort topper. It has been bliss.

If the area you're moving to has local mattress manufacturers, give them a try first. You'll at least get to try them out a bit before committing to buy. Since most online foam
mattresses are all made in a similar way, you can see if there's something equivalent that delivers the comfort level you want. Then buy online, if that suits your fancy.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I got a Leesa mattress. It was way too soft and aggravated a previously existing back injury. Bought a Costco mattress and it's perfect, but so is everything from Costco.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any good reusable lint rollers around now, or do I just keep buying the sticky paper ones? This is for cat hair on clothes.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

~25L backpack recommendations? I need it for two purposes: mainly carrying my 13" laptop, gym kit and lunch to/from work and also for when I go travelling as a day pack.

It therefore needs:
-laptop sleeve
-some organisation to it, at least a main and a front pocket, but more compartments useful to put my shoes/food/camera/guidebook etc in
-bottle holder
-decent zips
-a mix of smart/plain for work, and functional for travelling; a lot of backpacks I've seen are way too smart to take travelling or too hiker/'tactical' to be used for daily commuting

Amazon or shops available in the UK would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lady Gaza posted:

~25L backpack recommendations? I need it for two purposes: mainly carrying my 13" laptop, gym kit and lunch to/from work and also for when I go travelling as a day pack.

It therefore needs:
-laptop sleeve
-some organisation to it, at least a main and a front pocket, but more compartments useful to put my shoes/food/camera/guidebook etc in
-bottle holder
-decent zips
-a mix of smart/plain for work, and functional for travelling; a lot of backpacks I've seen are way too smart to take travelling or too hiker/'tactical' to be used for daily commuting

Amazon or shops available in the UK would be great.

The North Face has like dozens of packs that fit this category