Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
yeah, 'bout that, Ross..... :thunk:

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/883340998415454208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

a helpful bear posted:

Lol this is some North Korea poo poo

lol I wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_UWIJF4Tf0

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

punchymcpunch posted:

i need something a 17th century peasant who had never seen moving pictures before would still laugh at

The tacticool weapons or the Trump video?

I'm getting a little lukewarm on Prester Jane's theories because I just think there's a trait or something that makes people start getting more stupid instead of smarter when faced with enough cognitive dissonance and she doesn't appear to cover that aspect. And we're seeing it in action.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Give him some time. Just... *is nuked into oblivion*

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

lol seriously?

what's even the logic

racism.
specifically, minority/gangland panic legislation.

And it's not even based in reality. That guy in the classic movie The Outsiders had a switchblade? ban. That late 80's TV show had an episode with incredibly racist yakuza/triad/asian-ish gang criminal characters? Goodbye numchucks and throwing stars. A biker gang was on a popular TV show? no more brass knuckles.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
🎵too many chucks (too many chucks)🎵
🎶too many chucks (too maaaany chuuuuuucks)🎶

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/884058945085722625

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Baloogan posted:

that propaganda video is honest. its like something your niece would whip together from a photo album after a wedding

big fat american presidency

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

its intentionally simple and something almost any slightly tech savvy american could make

its made so trumpers can smile and think "my president is on my level"

Trump isn't retarded or senile y'all he's intentionally simple

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ElPez posted:

big fat american presidency

yeah

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So proud to wake up to find out that our president is officially openly partnering with Russia, the country literally everyone believes tried to gently caress with our election, to create a cybersecurity team to defend our election system.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

BUSH 2112 posted:

using a knife in a fight is legit 100% idiotic tho

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

crazy cloud posted:

if trump is actually irl retarded how did he win the election?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

jokes on them im just acting simple

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Baloogan posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rear end cobra posted:

Lmao

He still retard in head

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baloogan posted:

that propaganda video is honest. its like something your niece would whip together from a photo album after a wedding

and so much more effective than anything done by the blue team

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Putin: Why your FBI & Obama so bad?
Trump: I know, I've been saying that, everyone's been saying that I said that! We need to have the greatest cyber, here Vlad, have my passwords, it'll be the best, just the greatest :smugdon:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Baloogan posted:

uh... the Russians rigged it.

I know you really like him but he's genuinely the stupidest President in history.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Baloogan posted:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

petit choux posted:

I'm getting a little lukewarm on Prester Jane's theories because I just think there's a trait or something that makes people start getting more stupid instead of smarter when faced with enough cognitive dissonance and she doesn't appear to cover that aspect. And we're seeing it in action.

I read some of that thread, it's hilarious. Everybody posting these long rear end paragraphs about how all their political opponents are crazy in this one specific way, and they've cracked the code and now understand the way brains work. How is that thread still going? Isn't that the sort of thing you close and hope everyone forgets about once Trump got elected?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

petit choux posted:

Yeah I was talking with some friends recently and we agreed that a dash of postmodern epistemology is absolutely required to get this kind of situation, and I don't think Narrativism focuses enough on it. The whole concept of everything being unknowable because we can't sense it -- we only get various simulacra -- is required for people to double down into the insane places they get to. Stuff like Sandy Hook hoaxes should have been the writing on the wall, but we had to wait for it to metastasize for everyone's awareness of this sort of virulent anti-intellectualism to become something that a lot of people have everyday knowledge of.

This is why I think looking at stuff like the elements of fascism is more relevant. There's several components that need to play off of each other to breed whatever the gently caress it is we're experiencing now.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

BUSH 2112 posted:

texas literally just the other day approved open carry for knives/swords. you could carry an ar15 into taco bell to prove how totally not-emasculated you are, but a fixed-blade knife was a bridge too far. problem solved now, though

using a knife in a fight is legit 100% idiotic tho

Isn't there a saying "The winner of a knife fight is the one who gets to die in the ambulance instead of on the street"

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

if person is bad then how come theyre successful huh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

why can't we go back to REAL CONSERVATIVE VALUES instead of all this racism??

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Baloogan posted:

If Beethoven was so great how come he didn't get to be king

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

He was campaigning in the United States of America

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read some of that thread, it's hilarious. Everybody posting these long rear end paragraphs about how all their political opponents are crazy in this one specific way, and they've cracked the code and now understand the way brains work. How is that thread still going? Isn't that the sort of thing you close and hope everyone forgets about once Trump got elected?

tbf we do this for trump, but everyone understands him immediately because he's a loving idiot

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Titan posted:

Isn't there a saying "The winner of a knife fight is the one who gets to die in the ambulance instead of on the street"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yinlock posted:

tbf we do this for trump, but everyone understands him immediately because he's a loving idiot

He just flat out has dementia. That's not a new theory for why tens of millions of people disagree with you, it's just "oh yeah my granddad was like that"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

that question answered itself

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

and Trump manages to be an idiot in new and interesting ways fairly often, not just one specific way. Like, he'll go hard on the Russia bff stuff today and then tomorrow he'll be attacking Brian Stelter or some new poo poo just to keep everyone on their toes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

He just flat out has dementia. That's not a new theory for why tens of millions of people disagree with you, it's just "oh yeah my granddad was like that"

well that and clinical narcissism

and he's extremely stupid on top of both those things

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the waco page

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/884044444344954882

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tv narcissist: brilliant manipulator who orchestrates things behind the scenes

real life narcissist: orange mentally-challenged old man who can barely talk

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm watching a Spongebob episode about posting and it's hilarious

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol at all these theories

truth is trump is really loving good at some things

sorry your politics are like blinders and prevent you from seeing the truth

just keep gobbling all that fake news! im sure if you consume and regurgitate enough fake news chelsia clinton will feed you some green pancakes!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

lol at all these theories

truth is trump is really loving good at some things

name a single thing he's good at

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

He hired smart people to do it for him.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

trump has failed at everything he has ever done in his entire life

he even failed at failing to become president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ScrubLeague posted:

He hired smart people to do it for him.

The same way he's gotten literally all of his success.

• Locked thread