Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Surely it's $60,000. Is his patreon still going up? It was like $5,000 a month last time I checked.

it's just shy of 7k per month now. wingnut welfare is so loving real it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Pretty much every time Sargon does a thing that isn't just his editorializing over someone elses' work and parasitising actual journalists, he gets his rear end handed to him. He tried debating Kristi Winters, a PhD and got humiliated, his disastrous debate with Destiny (who to be fair, while I don't agree with everything he says, he clearly puts insane amounts of effort into researching and gathering citations and evidence for what he says, then goes up against complete retards like that "Race Realist"), when he tried to do an analysis of Assad and uncritically reproduced that crisis actor young girl conspiracy theory, making a fool of himself when he posted a mocking picture of brown men with AKs with an Antifa flag and thought they were ISIS when they were anti-ISIS militia...

Acting like he has anything worth saying that can be backed up with any evidence is comical. He's Glenn Back with an English Accent.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ragnar34 posted:

But I would still buy the lowest grade of gasoline because the other numbers are super bougie.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Pretty much every time Sargon does a thing that isn't just his editorializing over someone elses' work and parasitising actual journalists, he gets his rear end handed to him. He tried debating Kristi Winters, a PhD and got humiliated, his disastrous debate with Destiny (who to be fair, while I don't agree with everything he says, he clearly puts insane amounts of effort into researching and gathering citations and evidence for what he says, then goes up against complete retards like that "Race Realist"), when he tried to do an analysis of Assad and uncritically reproduced that crisis actor young girl conspiracy theory, making a fool of himself when he posted a mocking picture of brown men with AKs with an Antifa flag and thought they were ISIS when they were anti-ISIS militia...

Acting like he has anything worth saying that can be backed up with any evidence is comical. He's Glenn Back with an English Accent.

it's good that so many people are lining up with point-by-point refutations of his videos, in that case

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah lemme go make a point by point rebuttal of a three hour video of rambling where every statement is wrong.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah lemme go make a point by point rebuttal of a three hour video of rambling where every statement is wrong.

And keep in mind that there's a strict five minute time limit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

it's good that so many people are lining up with point-by-point refutations of his videos, in that case

I agree, Hbomberguy and Shaun are pretty good in this regard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fisking their videos is mostly a futile effort as they don't actually argue in good faith or consider evidence. if they did, they wouldn't be morons making terrible videos.

i considered making a video breaking down why jontron's points in the destiny debate were wrong because while destiny knew what jontron was saying was wrong he didn't know why. i was going to do it to reach kids that may come across the debate and not know why jonathan tronathan was wrong since sargon/jt/kraut/etc are unreachable morons.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 9, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Defending against a Gish Gallop is a waste of time. Better to just point out how he's obviously wrong about a few basic things and then a reasonable person can assume he's wrong about a lot of other stuff.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I agree, Hbomberguy and Shaun are pretty good in this regard.

cool, i haven't really seen any of their work yet; any videos you'd recommend?

also, lol @ all of this:

OwlFancier posted:

I could probably be really happy if I had infinite computer games.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Infinite bloodbornes and they never get boring.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I can't say I'd be any different from him if I were in his shoes, except for wasting more of my money on outlandish purchases probably.

Midig posted:

If I had a billion dollars I would buy a mansion and create the most awesome murder mystery LARPs. Also I could fill my spare time with getting properly into EVE Online as it is essentially a job anyways. Then I would learn to play Dwarf Fortress and get in some Civ 5 games once in a while.

i have no qualms saying that every person quoted here needs to grow up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloodborne is the greatest game of all time and it isn't even close so i don't see the issue with that post.

WampaLord posted:

Defending against a Gish Gallop is a waste of time. Better to just point out how he's obviously wrong about a few basic things and then a reasonable person can assume he's wrong about a lot of other stuff.

lol i loved johnny tronny saying destiny was gish gallopping. it's like when they say virtue signalling they have no loving clue what it means but think it's some magic phrase that makes them win.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

edit: oops double post.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Opinions can in fact be wrong and dumb. I know it's shocking, but it's true!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

cool, i haven't really seen any of their work yet; any videos you'd recommend?

Garret and Hbomberguy both takedown Sargon's attempt to debunk the 1 in 5 rape stats:

Garret's original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekq3OLRz1ls

Hbomberguy's video, which quotes part of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc24YtUslCU

Sargon tweeting about ISIS holding an Antifa flag, getting mocked, trying to puppetmaster his way out: https://twitter.com/sargon_of_akkad/status/861196505478201344?lang=en

Kristi Winters debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfCkp0Juao

Sargon himself acknowledging he hosed up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlBqt_Q089U

Shaun pointing out that Sargon (possibly unwittingly) shares White Nationalist progaganda and also his inability to read an article he's trying to criticise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9E2iEi6vMY

I tried searching for the video where Sargon repeats the Syrian girl crisis actor conspiracy and the tweets that responded to it, but I can't find it and I'm out of patience, but the Snopes page dealing with it: http://www.snopes.com/cnn-same-refugee-girl/

Destiny Vs Sargon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9TZciWpJw

He's a terrible researcher and can barely read his own sources even as he narrates them. It's often difficult to tell what level of irony he's operating on, and the same for the wider reactionary community, because they have an obnoxious tendency to gently caress up through basic failures of fact-checking or even reading comprehension and then try to backpedal by claiming they're joking or it's """"""satire"""""". That alone makes them untrustworthy of acting as a media surrogate or a trustworthy source of information.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's no irony he just attempts to puppet master after he gets dunked on.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's no irony he just attempts to puppet master after he gets dunked on.

Almost certainly.

But a good side-effect of me finding all those links is that I found that Shaun has uploaded a new video response to Lauren Southern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbxVfSqtt8

Thank you Shaun :kimchi:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What's funny about that tweet?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

notch donated to summer games done quick and the audience got all excited when the amount was read but then got mostly silent once his name was read.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

i have no qualms saying that every person quoted here needs to grow up

I won't need to do poo poo if I have one billion dollars though. Also, you are banished from my hypothetical murder mystery LARP, you would have made an excellent doctor.

Walk up to dead person and check pulse*

"He's dead".

Just brilliant.

Midig fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 9, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

notch donated to summer games done quick and the audience got all excited when the amount was read but then got mostly silent once his name was read.

God drat, it was really funny. I haven't seen a crowd turn so quickly.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Notch also didn't donate to the previous few GDQs to protest Twitch bits or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

fisking their videos is mostly a futile effort as they don't actually argue in good faith or consider evidence. if they did, they wouldn't be morons making terrible videos.

Fisking isn't to convert them. It's to offer counterpoints to sometimes-silent onlookers. In any debate with a crazy person, you're not likely to convert the crazy person (or their hard-core acolytes), but you are likely to have some influence with the onlookers and lurkers. One of the worst instincts of the idpol crowd has been the "x people aren't your explainers" idea. Yeah, I know it's tiring to be a trans or PoC person and having to explain basic poo poo to dickheads for the nth time, but the only thing that can counter alt-right propaganda is a series of counter-propaganda voices creating different narratives. Telling an alt-righter or some rando to "go read up on it" is one of the most self-defeating tactics ever. Anyone who wanders into that debate is only going to have one side of the argument presented to them (the worst one).

e: That's not to say that fact-checking/fisking isn't ultimately limited in effect. It requires positive alternative narratives and visions of society to work. Even then it can fail and we're reduced to solving our problems by force of arms.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 9, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Fisking isn't to convert them. It's to offer counterpoints to sometimes-silent onlookers. In any debate with a crazy person, you're not likely to convert the crazy person (or their hard-core acolytes), but you are likely to have some influence with the onlookers and lurkers. One of the worst instincts of the idpol crowd has been the "x people aren't your explainers" idea. Yeah, I know it's tiring to be a trans or PoC person and having to explain basic poo poo to dickheads for the nth time, but the only thing that can counter alt-right propaganda is a series of counter-propaganda voices creating different narratives. Telling an alt-righter or some rando to "go read up on it" is one of the most self-defeating tactics ever. Anyone who wanders into that debate is only going to have one side of the argument presented to them (the worst one).

e: That's not to say that fact-checking/fisking isn't ultimately limited in effect. It requires positive alternative narratives and visions of society to work. Even then it can fail and we're reduced to solving our problems by force of arms.

While it's worthwhile to counter these dipshits' messages, it's not necessary to address literally every stupid thing that tumbles out of their idiot mouths.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHWKLdHw98w

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

i agree on this, and would add that it's particularly dangerous to just assume that this is enough:

WampaLord posted:

if one solid refutation hurts them, don't stop there; keep pointing them out and exposing their weaknesses and don't give them a chance to just move onto the next topic like nothing happened, and if they do, expose them as wrong there, too

don't just get in one good hit and walk home confident that you've won the day; they'll just get right back up behind you and look better for doing so and you'll look like you've got nothing else to use against them

sargon thrives on the message that "if you dismiss me or resort to ad hominems it means you don't have any actual argument against me :smug:"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who What Now posted:

While it's worthwhile to counter these dipshits' messages, it's not necessary to address literally every stupid thing that tumbles out of their idiot mouths.

They play a game where they refute every explicit refutation of their claims through misprision and then take any point not explicitly refuted as proof of concession.

They're literally too dumb to debate. Look at loving Carl running around in circles with Kristi Winters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's like when destiny talked to that one fat guy and he talked about about shaun turned 90 arsons in 5. what he did was show that the map had inflated 5 arsons into 90 because they included kitchen fires and poo poo. it went the opposite of what the dude said. even when you totally destroy their "evidence" they still lie and act as if it didn't happen.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

They play a game where they refute every explicit refutation of their claims through misprision and then take any point not explicitly refuted as proof of concession.

They're literally too dumb to debate. Look at loving Carl running around in circles with Kristi Winters.

so what are you proposing be done about people like sargon, other than to sit in your shrinking corner of the internet and piss and moan to yourself about his stupidity while he gains more adherents every day

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

so what are you proposing be done about people like sargon, other than to sit in your shrinking corner of the internet and piss and moan to yourself about his stupidity while he gains more adherents every day

Nothing needs to be "done" about him. He has no real influence, I'm sure only a fraction of a fraction of his viewers will actually vote or protest or do anything to actually accomplish their goals outside of posting on the internet.

Like, we have freedom of speech, the implication that something should be "done" about him is frightening.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's like when destiny talked to that one fat guy and he talked about about shaun turned 90 arsons in 5. what he did was show that the map had inflated 5 arsons into 90 because they included kitchen fires and poo poo. it went the opposite of what the dude said. even when you totally destroy their "evidence" they still lie and act as if it didn't happen.

Exactly, these people don't care about honesty or the truth, they will straight up lie and lots of their viewers will eat it up no questions asked. That's why it's not necessary to counter literally everything they say. If someone says "Ok, you've proven that 99% of what he says is objectively false, but you haven't proven he's wrong about everything therefore black people are all feral criminals" then honestly they're never going to be convinced under any circumstances and should be written off as hopeless.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Nothing needs to be "done" about him. He has no real influence, I'm sure only a fraction of a fraction of his viewers will actually vote or protest or do anything to actually accomplish their goals outside of posting on the internet.

i'd disagree on that, given the amount of exposure he's starting to get, especially after the garbage human thing got him so much attention

he's starting to get interviewed by people and so on, and he's definitely pushing a narrative that's finding its way into other circles

WampaLord posted:

Like, we have freedom of speech, the implication that something should be "done" about him is frightening.

like what i'd want to see is someone with his charisma who can advance a narrative counter to his, in a style as successful as the one that sargon employs, and thus manages to out-sargon sargon

but then that's my fight-speech-with-speech position talking, and i sometimes get the feeling that's not all that popular around here

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

A third of Sargon's subscribers signed his dumb rear end petition

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The one that said just "Dear colleges, please stop SJW classes"?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Universities don't teach "social justice" classes, also read the comments for more ideas on what not to do

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm legit jelly a guy who's much dumber and wronger than me gets 7k a month for doing nothing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Exactly, these people don't care about honesty or the truth, they will straight up lie and lots of their viewers will eat it up no questions asked. That's why it's not necessary to counter literally everything they say. If someone says "Ok, you've proven that 99% of what he says is objectively false, but you haven't proven he's wrong about everything therefore black people are all feral criminals" then honestly they're never going to be convinced under any circumstances and should be written off as hopeless.

the problem with this is that we live in a democracy, and people whom you've "written off" still get to vote, potentially in large enough numbers to elect the annoying orange

so it's important to find a way to reach out to those people, otherwise you're just the democratic party, talking to yourself and hoping you'll get 'im next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Again, an action that can be easily done without leaving their computers. The pepes aren't a significant force to worry about, the bulk of GOP voters just voted R like they always do, there was not some massive surge of young R voters.

The young overwhelming voted D, even with Hillary being a terrible candidate. Give them a good candidate and there will be a surge of young D voters, like we saw with Obama.

• Locked thread