Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Word so Fultz,,, is off until the start of the preseason then

Sixers medical staff? He's out until the ASB, minimnum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

aBagorn posted:

:negative: He'll be okay

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/883895834605002752
Pritchard you should have waited you dingus

https://twitter.com/MarkPorcaro/status/884037064706019328
https://twitter.com/MarkPorcaro/status/884037434643591169
This is crazy to me. The new guard

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 9, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Now do a list for most bones in their feet by team....

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Raptors apparently can get out of the tax, depending on how the Lowry/Ibaka contracts are structured.

Cavs using the full MLE would cost them another 20 million :stare:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
All this time I had no idea what you guys were talking about with Zipser's foot bone until I was finally motivated to look it up now and now finally I will be able to get jokes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Raptors apparently can get out of the tax, depending on how the Lowry/Ibaka contracts are structured.

If Toronto can get out of the tax this year that trade is a really good move.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lockback posted:

If Toronto can get out of the tax this year that trade is a really good move.

Curious, if generally we're cool with billionaires paying out to have good teams / better basketball, why would a fan care if their/any team pays the tax or not?

Like, if trade A results in the team paying the tax but winning X games, but trade B results in no tax and X-7 games, do any fans want to make trade B?

I get there are exceptions for lottery/rebuilding status

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 9, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

dokmo posted:

All this time I had no idea what you guys were talking about with Zipser's foot bone until I was finally motivated to look it up now and now finally I will be able to get jokes.

it's a pretty important joke

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Curious, if generally we're cool with billionaires paying out to have good teams / better basketball, why would a fan care if their/any team pays the tax or not?

Like, if trade A results in the team paying the tax but winning X games, but trade B results in no tax and X-7 games, do any fans want to make trade B?

I get there are exceptions for lottery/rebuilding status

I'm sure the CapMen can give a much more nuanced answer but once you're in the tax it's not very easy to get out (lose a lot of leverage in trade talks) and repeater penalties are ridiculous. There's also the benefit of being able to sign people without using exceptions

Not sure if there's a more immediate reason though, I'll let the boys handle it. However if your team is the Warriors and your owners don't give a poo poo about paying the tax for now you shouldn't either

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 9, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

In the Raptors case, Carrol did not make them better and arguably actively stunted the development of their younger players because of veteran favoring by the coach.

This is also a specific case where the Raptors are not remotely the favorites to win the east even with their full roster back. So the end result doesn't change with this move.

Third, the new tax laws are so crippling, that you're basically paying for a 2nd NBA team if you're in the repeater zone long enough. Even the most spendy teams are making tax-saving moves, as an indicator of how crippling they are.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Away all Goats posted:

Constant injuries. Even when he was cleared to play he was allegedly fighting foot/back problems.

also yeah going from a well coached Jazz/Hawks team to Dwayne "high PnR and throw up a dumb shot" Casey didn't help.

He was loving awful in Utah, though Utah was also not a well coached team back then.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

aBagorn posted:

Danny knew....

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I would have given up more to get rid of Carroll. He is the worst. And he's not even like a normal bad player who you can bench. Whether it was through blackmail or the evil eye he convinced Casey to believe in him. Guy was so bad and still had the fourth highest usage on the team. He cannot defend. He cannot shoot. He can't even dribble with his head up. Many times this season I was questioning whether he was actually playing for the other team , if he bet on the game, or if the raps would be better playing the bloated corpse of Rafa Arujo instead.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
cool article on how the heat utilized "unlikely to achieve" performance bonus with waiters, olynyk, and johnson to allow them to fit them all within the cap and retain ellington

quote:

As long as the first-year salary – including both likely and unlikely bonuses — in any new contract(s) fits within the team’s cap room at the point the contract is officially executed, the contract is legal. The first-year salary thereafter excludes the amount of the unlikely bonus.

The Heat manipulated these rules with each of Waiters, Olynyk and Johnson:

Dion Waiters’ contract was publicly reported as 4-years, $52 million, but that’s not technically how it is structured. Waiters will actually receive $47.3 million in base salary, plus up to another $4.7 million in bonus money. All of that bonus money has been deemed unlikely to be achieved. Which means that after the contract was approved, only the first-year base salary was charged against the cap for this season; that’s $11.0 million, without the $1.1 million in bonus money.

Kelly Olynyk’s contract was publicly reported as 4-years, $50 million (with a player option on the final year), but that’s not technically how it was structured. He will actually receive $45.6 million in base salary, plus up to another $5.6 million in bonus money. All of that bonus money has been deemed unlikely to be achieved. (He also has a trade bonus equal to the lesser of 5% of the remaining value of the contract and $2 million.) Which means that after the contract was approved, only the first-year base salary was charged against the cap for this season; that’s $10.6 million, without the $1.4 million in bonus money.

James Johnson’s contract was publicly reported as 4-years, $60 million (with a player option on the final year), but that’s not technically how it was structured. He will actually receive $59.1 million in base salary, plus up to another $946K in bonus money(1). That bonus money, unlike the others, does count against the salary cap. Which means that after the contract was approved, the $13.7 million first-year salary, and the $220K bonus, was charged against the cap for this season; that’s $14.0 million.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Tatum looks phenomenal. That guy will be a total stud.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

I would have given up more to get rid of Carroll. He is the worst. And he's not even like a normal bad player who you can bench. Whether it was through blackmail or the evil eye he convinced Casey to believe in him. Guy was so bad and still had the fourth highest usage on the team. He cannot defend. He cannot shoot. He can't even dribble with his head up. Many times this season I was questioning whether he was actually playing for the other team , if he bet on the game, or if the raps would be better playing the bloated corpse of Rafa Arujo instead.

He had a couple year stretch that bloated his reputation to the bursting point and he still gets the benefit of the doubt from some people, but yeah, he's really bad now

Jack's Flow posted:

Tatum looks phenomenal. That guy will be a total stud.

He plays very poised for a 19 year old. I can't wait to watch his development. He's so drat smooth. He also might be the best rebounder currently on the Celtics

https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/6lkgwf/why_is_there_a_serial_rapist_on_our_summer_league/

That's not great!

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 9, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lauri on his jersey:

quote:

Markkanen is hopeful his new jersey, with the correct spelling, will be ready to go on Monday in the Bulls' second game.

"Yeah, I told them," he said. "They gave me a right-spelling jersey in the third quarter, but I didn't want to change it on the bench. It'll be right on Monday, I hope. The good thing is I hope when the regular season comes, that doesn't happen again."

Good to start off on the right foot with the most exciting thing you have on your roster at the moment

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lauri on his jersey:

Good to start off on the right foot with the most exciting thing you have on your roster at the moment

Bulls have an alternative definition of right foot

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dirk Nowitzki has been playing for the Mavericks since Myles Turner was 2 years old.
Manu Giboili has been playing for the Spurs since Myles Turner was 3 years old.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Bulls have an alternative definition of right foot

:wink:

Gotta be feeling good about Fox, huh? He's gonna pick many pockets

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Dirk Nowitzki has been playing for the Mavericks since Myles Turner was 2 years old.

Had the Mavs wound up drafting Ntilikina they'd be playing Dirk with a guy who was not alive when he was drafted

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

glowing-fish posted:

Dirk's first season was 98-99. Dennis Smith Jr was born in November of 97. DSJ wasn't alive the last time a season opened without Dirk on the Mavs roster.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here is every shot Luke Kennard missed over the first two games. see if you can spot a pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfx7cjJUCU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Femur posted:

I think their plan was to blow up the team years ago, but all nba players just kept popping up, foiling their plans. I mean how else can you explain a team so desperate to get rid of a top 10 player under a great contract? The dude doesn't even seem like a malcontent.

They lost faith in rose, then Noah has a career year, and protected Rose, so they had to build a case to get rid of both, so they placed blame on coach and Butler. Butler turned out better than both, but they already picked their path, and that battle twisted and force them into thinking they weren't wrong, and Butler wasn't good enough, and now you are here.

This sounds about right. I'm going to root for the T'wolves now since they're sorta Bulls Lite and Jimmy Buckets was my favorite Bulls player in a long time.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

dokmo posted:

Here is every shot Luke Kennard missed over the first two games. see if you can spot a pattern.

That felt like a half a season worth of misses. Ouch.

edit:

Obviously he should be shooting with his right hand!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Oh oh i got it is it that he can't shoot off the dribble worth a poo poo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't suppose Justin Hamilton has any ability, eh?

Also would this create the kind of room where Toronto could offer a nice 1 year deal to Jamal Crawford? They need a shooter pretty bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

is that pattern that he sucks?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't suppose Justin Hamilton has any ability, eh?

Also would this create the kind of room where Toronto could offer a nice 1 year deal to Jamal Crawford? They need a shooter pretty bad.

Justin Hamilton isn't as bad as you think he is, decent defensive bench big, won't piss you off like Demarre Carrol so that's worth it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If the point of the Carrol trade was to narrowly avoid the tax, they aren't adding any more players to non-minimum deals.

Also, Crawford is a Timberwolf.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cool Buff Man posted:

:wink:

Gotta be feeling good about Fox, huh? He's gonna pick many pockets

Watching him pick David Stockton's pocket and yelling out that he needs his dad to come bail him out was worth the trip

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/884102281884442624

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

That's a good move

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Gary Payton II. Sam Cassell Jr. David Stockton.

Summer League. Patron St. Of Untalented Sons of NBA Players

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ujiri is a loving warlock

I asked for a shooter and actually got one. Obviously CJ's no Crawdad but he'll do, especially getting rid of Joseph (I don't dislike Cory's game but we overpaid for him)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Did you see how normal Sam Cassell looks with his big glasses? They fix his weird head and it freaks me out.

Ujiri is a loving warlock

I asked for a shooter and actually got one. Obviously CJ's no Crawdad but he'll do, especially getting rid of Joseph (I don't dislike Cory's game but we overpaid for him)

CJ Miles is way better than Crawford at this point, you should be very happy

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Huge move considering the large Filipino community in Toronto.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

GP2 rules you take that back.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

If a team has to pay a tax, where does that money go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

vaginal facsimile posted:

If a team has to pay a tax, where does that money go?

The rest of the teams

• Locked thread