Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lol

that's a salary dump

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm pretty sure that limb trauma is part of The Process

I want to die right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A 1st round pick is always good, because it's your very cheap guess at a role player or you can leverage that pick for further trades.

I can understand why the Raptors did it, because if you're never beating Cleveland anyways, paying an extra 30-50 million for no reason isn't worth it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Demarre Carroll is not good and signing a player to a huge contract after he destroys his knee is a poor idea

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Man if only he dropped to the Knicks

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
https://twitter.com/DeRozanStan/status/883907330609434624

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Bulls were actually smart for selling this pick because it gives them the roster flexibility to take on bad contracts in exchange for asset-

oh the Jimmy Butler trade exception is just gonna expire without being used

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Revenge, Canada style

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I still can't believe the NBA champions and potential greatest team of all time called the rebuilding Chicago Bulls front office and said "We'll give you literally the most money we're allowed to if you let us have a player that's available to you right now" and GarPax just went "Okey dokey"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

A 1st round pick is always good, because it's your very cheap guess at a role player or you can leverage that pick for further trades.

I can understand why the Raptors did it, because if you're never beating Cleveland anyways, paying an extra 30-50 million for no reason isn't worth it.

Yeah it's a good deal for Brooklyn and one I wouldn't have minded the Kings pulling. But that pick is far from a guarantee and that was a steep price. I think it's a fair deal for both sides given what each wants, but it's not that far fetched for that pick to be a bust and Brooklyn still has to pay Carroll

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Not like Brooklyn's going to be good for a while anyways and they've got to pay someone.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

but Toronto is going to win 60 games in the garbage East so whatever.

lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
This rookie class is going to be so fun

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/883891503323463680

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah it's a good deal for Brooklyn and one I wouldn't have minded the Kings pulling. But that pick is far from a guarantee and that was a steep price. I think it's a fair deal for both sides given what each wants, but it's not that far fetched for that pick to be a bust and Brooklyn still has to pay Carroll

I mean, they're already under salary hell with Mosgov there. And Carrol is legit their best combo forward on the roster right now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sean Marks's Wiki Entry posted:

Sean Andrew Marks (born 23 August 1975) is a New Zealand former professional basketball player. He was the first New Zealand-born player to play in the NBA. He is currently the general manager of the Brooklyn Nets. He is on both the FBI and CIA's watch list for stealing from NBA team's both in the US and Canada.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

I still can't believe the NBA champions and potential greatest team of all time called the rebuilding Chicago Bulls front office and said "We'll give you literally the most money we're allowed to if you let us have a player that's available to you right now" and GarPax just went "Okey dokey"

Just gotta focus on the good times from last year

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bulls traded for Cam Payne so they could practice tanking in Summer League and properly prepare for the upcoming season. Light years ahead

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dexo posted:

All the obnoxious ones became warriors fans.

Yeah dude wish this was true but:

The Glumslinger posted:

Trust me, Lakers will never be wanting for obnoxious fans

RaySmuckles posted:

dejounte murray has been hot trash in just about every summer league game. the guy dribbles it up to his shoulders and losses the ball on drives frequently, that is, when he's not just getting it stolen outright

the spurs' plan of throwing murray into the fire might turn into a complete disaster

on the other hand, bryn forbes looks amazing out there so maybe not all is lost, or maybe summer league isn't always the best indicator of success

The vibe I got was Murray wasn't exactly happy about playing with Forbes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

Just gotta focus on the good times from last year

northwestern legend tre demps

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao 3/5's of the Bulls Summer league team starters are likely gonna be starters or first wing/big off the bench for the main team.

And they are hot garbage

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

lmao 3/5's of the Bulls Summer league team starters are likely gonna be starters or first wing/big off the bench for the main team.

And they are hot garbage

The Marksman, tho

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Marksman, tho

I'm trying to decide between Finnish Dirk, or Finnish Zingis as my superlative.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

And they are hot garbage

What, uh...what is the plan for the Bulls, if one exists?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

GobiasIndustries posted:

-More money for garpax
-gently caress you

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hope it's playing Dwyane Wade at Center and telling him to earn his paycheck

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

The vibe I got was Murray wasn't exactly happy about playing with Forbes.

what do you mean? didn't notice anything like that myself, would like to hear what you think

i think forbes is going to steal his spot this season. just a little bit more consistency and the guy is patty mills 2.0

either way, they were both playing combo guard, taking turns taking the ball up. murray just couldn't make anything happen all game, while bryn seemed pretty comfortable out there. seemed to have pretty good chemistry with bertans too

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

I hope it's playing Dwyane Wade at Center and telling him to earn his paycheck

I really dislike Dwyane Wade so this would be extremely my poo poo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Maaaaan. It needed to happen because the Raptors had no flexibility unless JV or Carroll got moved, but always sucks seeing your team paying to unload a bad contract.

Curious what the exact picks are. I'm also curious if this is the first domino (in some probably uneventful signing) because the Raptors literally have no bench shooting right now so I'm imagining that they're probably looking for someone cheap that can hit a three now that they're under the luxury line.

e: looks like it's the 2018 first and second I think.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 9, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone please post the gif or youtube of Wade flopping and holding his eye and stretching out begging for the call that never happened?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think their plan was to blow up the team years ago, but all nba players just kept popping up, foiling their plans. I mean how else can you explain a team so desperate to get rid of a top 10 player under a great contract? The dude doesn't even seem like a malcontent.

They lost faith in rose, then Noah has a career year, and protected Rose, so they had to build a case to get rid of both, so they placed blame on coach and Butler. Butler turned out better than both, but they already picked their path, and that battle twisted and force them into thinking they weren't wrong, and Butler wasn't good enough, and now you are here.

Femur fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 9, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RaySmuckles posted:

what do you mean? didn't notice anything like that myself, would like to hear what you think

i think forbes is going to steal his spot this season. just a little bit more consistency and the guy is patty mills 2.0

either way, they were both playing combo guard, taking turns taking the ball up. murray just couldn't make anything happen all game, while bryn seemed pretty comfortable out there. seemed to have pretty good chemistry with bertans too

I dunno could just be reading into things but he doesn't seem to be going out of his way to get Forbes involved. It's not as blatant as Jordan Clarkson actively icing out D'Angelo their first two or three games together but when a guy who shares the ball a lot starts dialing up his own number a lot, or starts dialing up everyone but a certain teammate's number, it just makes me think of that, but maybe this is just putting playground logic onto pros (although summer league is the closest the pros get to a playground game).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In all transparency I've been a Pistons fan since childhood (but have rooted for the Mavs since 2003 too) so I'm not a stranger to the 'wtf' strategy I suppose.

Femur posted:

I think their plan was to blow up the team years ago, but all nba players just kept popping up, foiling their plans. I mean how else can you explain a team so desperate to get rid of a top 10 player under a great contract? The dude doesn't even seem like a malcontent.

They lost faith in rose, then Noah has a career year, and protected Rose, so they had to build a case to get rid of both, so they placed blame on coach and Butler. Butler turned out better than both, but they already picked their path, and that battle twisted and force them into thinking they weren't wrong, and Butler wasn't good enough, and now you are here.

this I guess would make sense except for that lol Wade contract.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hometown dude, would sell jerseys and make sure the Bulls are a national level team in terms it discussions

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

GobiasIndustries posted:

this I guess would make sense except for that lol Wade contract.

You gotta think like a coward would. Sure, Paxson could have spent political capital and put himself out there to enact his plan and save time, gotten more for his stars before he used them up as shields, injuries and optimism dried up. But why take that risk upon yourself?

wade and rondo were meant to be anchors for Butler.

Femur fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 9, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On Thursday I stole a fortune cookie from Goodluck Okonoboh. Today I opened it to see if his fortune was accurate. There was no fortune in the cookie.....

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh gently caress, markelle's hurt

the process is deeply consistent and therefore trustworthy

cougar cub posted:

I was legit excited when Carroll signed. Too bad about the injuries.

it was obviously a bad signing and a big overpay at the time, just like every time some idiot franchise overpays a Spurs roleplayer (in this case Spurs East) and all of a sudden wow they weren't generating all that ball movement by themselves??? What in tarnation?? Playing exactly within the Spurs system defense to great results wasn't simply their solo effort?? lol

Justin Hamilton blows, but the good news is he's partially Croatian so he's not as basketball-terrible as he would be if he were pure American stock. He might even hit some threes and get your hopes up.

the Nets are securing the future and ruining other teams in the process and I love it. Sean Marks is a genius, and if he keeps this up Prokhorov might give him an actual office so he doesn't have to work out of the coffee shop

Cool Buff Man posted:

All Knicks fans need to switch ships immediately

problem is if you live in the cool and good parts of Brooklyn you're likely riding the L train so MSG is kinda in some ways easier to get to than Barclays, and the Nets feel even further away than they should, even if they're closer (you gotta like, ride away from it then hook back on the ACE trains. Fortunately they're shutting the tunnel down for a year or two in a year or two (and it's going to really gently caress up a lot of people's lives) so by 2019 it'll be an easier switch, especially when the Nets make the playoffs again and again forever. WHERE BROOKLYN AT woooo and they're a smart responsive team that almost immediately got rid of the mascot everyone hated. I can't wait until Porzingis signs with the Nets

But the MSG broadcasts are vastly superior. It's Mike Breen and Clyde Frazier I can't just give that up. And I love when Robert Randolph and the Family Band play the Friday Night Knicks theme for me eyyy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9BJQTs1GW8

I got a color TV so I can see the Knicks play basketball

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The whole My Vets back and forth left me with the impression that Rondo would be spectacular to have on a tanking team full of young dudes
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvs5RCDGO8/

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

But the MSG broadcasts are vastly superior. It's Mike Breen and Clyde Frazier I can't just give that up. And I love when Robert Randolph and the Family Band play the Friday Night Knicks theme for me eyyy

True, Knicks broadcasts are great.

Fultz's sprain is a high ankle, which I found out due to this amazing story that Ramona linked to

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/883932551827435522

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Word so Fultz,,, is off until the start of the preseason then

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lmao the Net's pick is going to be like 9 or 10 this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

lmao the Net's pick is going to be like 9 or 10 this is amazing.

You out your mind baby

straight up brolic posted:

Word so Fultz,,, is off until the start of the preseason then

Yeah what a bummer. At least it's not something worse

• Locked thread