Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quorum posted:

Actually, targeted sanctions, like freezing the assets of individual people, can inflict a certain amount of pain on oligarchs. It won't get rid of all of their money, obviously, but it will prevent them from using large portions of the world to move their money through. I don't know if this is the kind of sanctions that Lindsey Graham has in mind of course.

it's not. it's the same issue with the iranian sanctions. and the same issue with the iraq sanctions post gulf war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884027201804488704 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884033889613828096

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think more than sanctions what's hurting the Russians right now are the low oil prices. Which I'm not sure how much control over that the US has. Although suspiciously it seems like they started to freefall right after Russia annexed Crimea and (to all intents and purposes)East Ukraine.

And I think sanctions must be hurting the Russians government/oligarchs to some degree since they seem pretty keen on getting them lifted.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Every time I see a Trump tweet I always think the same thing: "Shut up, Donald."

Donald Trump: the Meg Griffin of American Presidents.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think oil prices were more closely related to the end of the Iran sanctions. SA just sees loving Russia as a nice bonus that gets them points with the US.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's amazing. I really hope he personally created that in WMM.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Charliegrs posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884016887692234753
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884018776391503872

Am I reading this right? Did he say he wants election hacking (and many other negative things) to be guarded and safe?

Talk about a Freudian slip

The election wasn't hacked.

And if it was, Obama and the Democrats should have done something.

And if they did, I'm going to do something better.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I see he's developing a new discipline within the Art of the Deal: drunken style. Spout nonsensical gibberish in order to lull the opponent into a false sense of security, and then WHAM, give them everything they want in exchange for nothing.

Checkmate, libtards. :smug:

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im so happy of this new era of cooperation and friendship between russia and the us! goes to show that you dont need the unelected U.N. or other technocratic and tyrannical intergovernmental organisations for countries to have organic dialogue and build towards a better future. MAGA!!!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

And I think sanctions must be hurting the Russians government/oligarchs to some degree since they seem pretty keen on getting them lifted.
Some 2nd-rate oligarchs are forbidden from vacationing in Europe.
Also they can't buy important weapons components, which is probably the part that Kremlin cares about.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/884029594252316672

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Arglebargle III posted:

I think oil prices were more closely related to the end of the Iran sanctions. SA just sees loving Russia as a nice bonus that gets them points with the US.

The Saudis/OPEC had several reason to flood the market and drop the prices when they did. I think their reasoning was more or less as follows:
1) gently caress Iran: the sanctions are ending and Iran will be able to sell their oil again and we can't have that. Let's do our best to tank the value of their oil when they most need and can use it.
2) gently caress the US: Not only did they lift sanctions on Iran, but with shale oil fracing they're starting to become far more independent from our oil than we like. Cutting oil prices will kneecap the fracing industry which will both damage USA's economy and stop further exploitation of shale oil
3) gently caress Russia: Meddling assholes are even worse and more annoying than USA and they're a direct competitor. Let's listen to them SQUEAL when the oil their petrostate depends on hits rock bottom.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He needs to tag the guy, otherwise he's not even gonna bother. Otherwise, :drat:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tag your favorite part. Mine was the group shot where is slooooowly panned all the way to the left to show the president of the united States.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wark Say posted:

He needs to tag the guy, otherwise he's not even gonna bother. Otherwise, :drat:

It would be nice if Preet primaries' Cuomo.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trump is just treating others the way he'd like to be treated. The golden rule!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

mcmagic posted:

I agree.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If a dem takes the WH in 2020, I'd like to see him appointed as AG.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/884056867999297536

And when you're a star...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm still amazed at the lack response over MH17 being shot down. Years later no one remembers it actually happened.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

She's so lucky, she's a star
But she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart, thinking
If there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
McCain status: somewhat regretful

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/884075909099212804

He will continue to vote for all of Trump's nominees regardless

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean "feed them state secrets and give them access to info they shouldn't have". The bible doesn't say "And let them stab you to death" either

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DaveWoo posted:

After that Comey hearing it appeared that McCain was deteriorating mentally. Maybe he's no longer capable of actually going against the flow so to speak. Perhaps his moral compass and ability to act are entirely severed.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Alter Ego posted:

Every time I see a Trump tweet I always think the same thing: "Shut up, Donald."

Donald Trump: the Meg Griffin of American Presidents.

We have a forklift at work that everyone hates because you can't see what you're trying to pick up and it's so goofy huge for the spaces it needs to work. It's been nicknamed Donald because it's fat, orange, and no one likes it

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Every time I hear that MAGA chourus, my brain just starts playing Tommorrow Belongs to Me.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

He was a star all right, and we'll just ignore the massive protests outside his secured safe zone full of approved people

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

There Bias Two posted:

After that Comey hearing it appeared that McCain was deteriorating mentally. Maybe he's no longer capable of actually going against the flow so to speak. Perhaps his moral compass and ability to act are entirely severed.

He's consistently in the top 5 republicans that vote against party lines. That still has him being still a republican and voting on party lines 90+% of the time, but he does at least do it more than almost every other republican.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DaveWoo posted:

Of course, because otherwise he wouldn't be an aging old gently caress ready to sundown at noon when he can manage to link two brain cells together

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
clearly scripted but still funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syjp9lsWBhc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Am I mistaken or has this guy been on RT?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

DaveWoo posted:

In the President McCain universe:
My fellow Americans. The control of nuclear weapons is, in my opinion, the greatest responsibility of an American President. The power to destroy the world 25 times over in the hands of one man... Every night I pray to God that today was not one where I was faced with the choice to order a first-strike on Iran, North Korea, Vietnam, and Russia; even if [chuckles] the temptation was there. The man to give that order will go down in history -if history survives, in cave paintings and tribal lore- as the scourge of humanity and the new Satan. It is the ultimate sin, the ultimate recklessness, and worst of all, the ultimate stupidity.

I did it thirty-five minutes ago. Amen.

Feeling: Concerned.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rinkles posted:

Am I mistaken or has this guy been on RT?

You are correct. He's a comedian whose whole schtick is pretending to be a journalist who's going off script.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Tag your favorite part. Mine was the group shot where is slooooowly panned all the way to the left to show the president of the united States.

my favorite part is the terrible stupid song. the whole thing feels like a parody.

yeah pretty much.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Inferior Third Season posted:

I see he's developing a new discipline within the Art of the Deal: drunken style. Spout nonsensical gibberish in order to lull the opponent into a false sense of security, and then WHAM, give them everything they want in exchange for nothing.

Checkmate, libtards. :smug:

The sad part is this is literally a viable strategy; ramble incoherently for a while and say nothing of substance. Never take a real stance but vaguely imply them. Then watch your base eat it up because they project their own stupid ideas onto your stupid words.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DaveWoo posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/884075909099212804[/url

Sometimes? Did anybody ask what about the other times?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
They're taunting us at this point. He's basically saying he and Putin plan to rig the next election. Hurry the gently caress up, Mueller.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

MUELLER HURRY THE *gently caress UP*

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

mcmagic posted:

Be still, my heart...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A lovely Reporter posted:

They're taunting us at this point. He's basically saying he and Putin plan to rig the next election. Hurry the gently caress up, Mueller.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'm thinking that you said "Hurry the gently caress up, Mueller" because you think that once Easy D returns, he's gonna fire Mueller...

... but wouldn't firing Mueller be seen as a very unsubtle clue that Donald (or people really close to him; the Kushners, mostly) is guilty as gently caress?

• Locked thread