Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Pets are consumable? I do just fine with a bunch of Tier 1 pets, higher tiers aren't that critical

And why cash and maid in every town? The TP contents are gamewide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ineptitude posted:

Pets are consumable? I do just fine with a bunch of Tier 1 pets, higher tiers aren't that critical

Pets are consumable in that you can just keep buying them because you can keep smashing them together until you have a full set of t4s with perfect skills. Obviously you don't have to do this in the same manner that you "have" to refresh VPs, but it definitely increases the demand for pets.

And the reason for the maid/cash is because pearl items can list almost instantly and changing characters can take too much time

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Ineptitude posted:

You need money in every regional bank for bidding on value packs/outfits/pets while you're out in that region. The transaction maid really SHOULD be tied to whatever regional bank the house she's in is connected to, but :koreagame:

As for higher tier pets: I've got 4 tier 3 pets and I still have to leave loot lying sometimes, tier 1 pets are fine for a while, but you'll want that increased loot speed at some point. I'd like tier 4's, but that's a loooot of money and supposedly even getting one is super rng, unlike the tier 3's which have a pretty good chance. I do not like the idea of smashing together two $24 pets only to have them remain tier 3.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
fwiw I found it pretty easy to pickup cash shop costumes from the AH, even without a maid. Just had to check the market every time I was near it. It's a bit more convenient in Altinova with the marketplace lady being right next to the storage.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Blacula posted:

Did you see that you can ticket a GM to swap your horse whistle once per account?

https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003075009-One-time-transfer-of-Horse-Flute

Nice, thanks.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

TVDinna posted:

Worker node advice for PNR guys:

We do a ton of gathering guild missions and we always try to encourage people to go and chop logs/hit rocks. Especially during the events which give bonus drops to gathering.
Gathering gets you hard/sharp stones which are worth 1.6/3.6 respectively and used to enchant gear so they're very valuable.
A lot of newer players keep asking in guild chat about nodes to connect, etc.

I would suggest doing the following:
Veila - max out your workers there, get a residence and grab all the nearby grains (corn/potatos).
Heidel - Get the Heidel mine
Keplan - Grab the coal node right next to Keplan.
Iron mines near Altinova - Iron + Zinc
Glish - Iron mine next to town

Glish: get the Armor factory and the Tool factory. Do the following items:
Make steel using melted iron shards + coal.
Make Bronze with zinc + copper shards.
Grind down magic crystals for Blackstone powder.
Chop some lumber nearby for tools.
Mine rocks for rough stone for tools.
Farm tough hide.
Melt down Black Crystals from Altinova Iron mine.

At Glish, you can now craft all your tools (make sure you use a high luck human to proc lucky tools/Ult Grunil).
You will need to farm tough hide but if you do that, you can craft Grunil for repairing yours or just selling.

Always use lucky tools when gathering, as it increases hard/sharp rate.

When I have VP buff active, I craft several weeks worth of Lucky Steel tools and sell the regular ones on the MP.
Don't craft anything but Steel, it's the best value.

I try to play BDO like first-person Civ, so thanks for this.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Very well.

I have never really seen the need for tiering up my pets, though im not really fuzzed enough to maintain a uber mega optimized kill speed constantly when grinding.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Btw what should I use the garden for? Currently growing carrots, for my own horse mainly. But there's probably a min/max strategy on what crops to grow out there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never farmed or gardened in BDO but its the only way to get certain ingredients for the better alchemy & cooking recipes.

Use this to find out what you want to make:
http://dulfy.net/2016/06/06/black-desert-cooking-life-skill-guide/

And use this to figure out where to get all the bits and bobs that go into the recipes. The database will tell you what can be gathered and what must be grown in a garden.
http://bddatabase.net/us/

From what I've read it's also a decent way to get free sharps/hards for concentrated blackstones because of all the gathering and those are worth millions just by themselves.

I still suffer Archeage related farming PTSD so I avoid gardens. Like garlic to a vampire.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Grow anything that you need and that you can't get from your workers. The most common thing is sunflowers/strawberries to make tea with fine scent. Grow the lowest quality that you can that makes it so recipes use a single item if you are cooking with them because the higher quality crops yield fewer items

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 5, 2017

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
what guild is everyone in these days?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

happy cabbage posted:

what guild is everyone in these days?

check the op

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I think i am starting to get enough beer, closing in on 6 digits. Is Essence of Liqor the best way to get contribution points with all the grain items i still have? I have also had a dude summoning grapes for ages, and from what i understand i can buy fruit from vendors for cheap as well if i run out of grapes.

I have ~20k grain items, which should be roughly 50k flour?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

I think i am starting to get enough beer, closing in on 6 digits. Is Essence of Liqor the best way to get contribution points with all the grain items i still have? I have also had a dude summoning grapes for ages, and from what i understand i can buy fruit from vendors for cheap as well if i run out of grapes.

I have ~20k grain items, which should be roughly 50k flour?

If all you care about getting as many cooks out of the grain items you have, yes essence of liquor is a little more efficient on cooks/grain but unlike cooking beer it requires processing the grain and it also loses money.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I just want the most contribution/hour, i am tired of Calph and Lake Kaia dailies. I need more CP as i am constantly running out of ore and timberto process so i need more node/timber nodes.
Crafting 2k Liqor with Traditional Calph Cooking utensil lets me be active most of the night (it takes ~7 hours to cook 2k Liqors) whereas i don't get nearly that amount of activity processing ore/timber since i don't have enough of it. I also have "enough" beer and a lot of grain i currently don't use for anything.

If i get the same amount of CP items per grain by cooking beer i might as well continue doing that.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yep if all you want to do is cook for contribution purposes, spamming essence of liquor is the best way to get the most combines from your materials. 1 beer combine uses 5 grain items (potatos, barley, wheat, etc). You can grind 1 grain into 2.5 flour on average (if your processing level is high enough, I forget how high "high enough" is though. somewhere in professional or artisan). Essence of liquor only needs 1 flour per combine. You'll just have to spend a lot of time grinding up grains into flours though. If the olvia grape node isn't providing enough grapes, you can either gather more yourself at the same spot as the node, or buy various fruits from npc vendors.

You can then take your essence of liquor and combine it with cooking honey to make honey wine, and then turn the honey wine into imperial delivery crates and sell those to the imperial delivery NPC.....but have fun with that. You'll need to be camping that npc right when the imperial resets or else it will be sold out all the time since everyone and their brother spammed essence of liquor and want something to use it on.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I'm a little confused by something. While exploring towns and cities, I see apartments and houses for sale with a floating carpet icon in front of the door. The game tells me these are the apartments I'm able to buy. I look at the map and open the housing grid thing and it shows all the locations, and the ones with the floating carpet doormat icon are coloured blue.

They were all kinda crap one room tiny window hovels though, and I wanted a nicer one. I found a really kick'n two story apartment full of windows that I really liked so I clicked on the grey house icon and clicked "residence" and then "purchase" and it gave it to me...

What is the point of the blue listed houses if I can just buy whatever one I want..? Have I made a mistake and just don't understand the distinction between the grayed out houses and the blue ones? Is this some kind of bug?

Also is there a discord for goons playing this?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Blue is just ones you own. The good ones typically require you to buy a few crap ones that lead up to them, but the crap ones are useful for lodging/storage/or whatever manufacturing you want to do.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm a little confused by something. While exploring towns and cities, I see apartments and houses for sale with a floating carpet icon in front of the door. The game tells me these are the apartments I'm able to buy. I look at the map and open the housing grid thing and it shows all the locations, and the ones with the floating carpet doormat icon are coloured blue.

They were all kinda crap one room tiny window hovels though, and I wanted a nicer one. I found a really kick'n two story apartment full of windows that I really liked so I clicked on the grey house icon and clicked "residence" and then "purchase" and it gave it to me...

What is the point of the blue listed houses if I can just buy whatever one I want..? Have I made a mistake and just don't understand the distinction between the grayed out houses and the blue ones? Is this some kind of bug?

Also is there a discord for goons playing this?

Grey is locked
Blue is unlocked
White is owned

You have to buy them in order. Click around and it will tell you the prerequisite houses.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I don't own any other property.

Optiquest posted:

Grey is locked
Blue is unlocked
White is owned

You have to buy them in order. Click around and it will tell you the prerequisite houses.

But I bought a grey one?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Normally you have to buy buildings in order, but if you're going to make it a residence you don't have to buy all the preceding buildings in the chain. Residences cheat the system basically, and as far as I know this isn't documented anywhere.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

J posted:

Normally you have to buy buildings in order, but if you're going to make it a residence you don't have to buy all the preceding buildings in the chain. Residences cheat the system basically, and as far as I know this isn't documented anywhere.

Huh weird. Oh well, I won't complain. I'm glad I didn't get tricked into thinking I had to buy one of the blue listed locations for a residence.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

J posted:

Jesus. This game is so obtuse most of them time.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Inzombiac posted:

Jesus. This game is so obtuse most of them time.

It's just incredibly complicated and that can be frustrating

in hindsight most of their decisions make sense from a gameplay or business perspective but that doesn't mean it's intuitive

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

How do i get those offhands that are quest rewards through Seals of Promise and upgradeable through the Black Spirit (Sorta like Magical Armor)

I got the ability to buy the first item from the weapons vendor in Calpheon on my witch but not on any other character.

J posted:

Yep if all you want to do is cook for contribution purposes, spamming essence of liquor is the best way to get the most combines from your materials.

You can then take your essence of liquor and combine it with cooking honey to make honey wine,

Great, thanks
I am Artisan 8 processer.

Do essence of liquor -> honey wine generate cooking offproducts as well? I have thousands of cooking honey which is supposedly worth a lot but doesn't move in EU.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 9, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

How do i get those offhands that are quest rewards through Seals of Promise and upgradeable through the Black Spirit (Sorta like Magical Armor)

I got the ability to buy the first item from the weapons vendor in Calpheon on my witch but not on any other character.

Great, thanks
I am Artisan 8 processer.

Do essence of liquor -> honey wine generate cooking offproducts as well? I have thousands of cooking honey which is supposedly worth a lot but doesn't move in EU.

No clue about the offhands. Regarding honey wine, yeah as far as I know I'm pretty sure all cooking recipes are equal when it comes to generating byproducts.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is there anything near Valencia worth harvesting with workers for money?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is there anything near Valencia worth harvesting with workers for money?

Palm timber node between valencia and arehaza otherwise mostly no

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Palm timber node between valencia and arehaza otherwise mostly no

Nothing up in the sulfur mines worth it either?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Nothing up in the sulfur mines worth it either?

most valencia nodes are too expensive for the money they generate. The palm timber node is mostly good because it's relatively cheap to pick up

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

You mean the "[Offhand] of Dim/Concentrated/Sealed Magical Power"? I'm pretty sure those come from the last quest in the pre-Mediah Black Spirit quest chain, after you defeat Hexe Marie -- http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/678/6/

That gives you the initial item, that you then get to upgrade through quests at Longleaf Tree Sentry Post at levels 51 and 52 I think.

Taran fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

lewtt posted:

Breaking from the 2010 norms of f2p cash shop heroism, the game is buy to play and no premium/subscription. The official NA/EU cash shop is quite tame in terms of pay to win (albeit very expensive), being mostly limited to $25 USD outfits to make you into a slightly better anime barbie and a "Value Pack" which gives some decent week-3month bonuses.

Exactly how bad did the cash shop turn out to be? Are they transitioning to fire sale mode already or is it still mostly ok?

A lot of people mention a horrible DRM/Rootkit, is that still in the installation?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The BDO cash shop is fine. You can turn a limited amount of real life money into game money if you want, but it is hugely gated and inefficient. And you can buy cash shop stuff for in game money if you are a marketplace wizard. I don't play since it's endgame isn't my bag, but the game population boomed with the steam launch, no fire sale here.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

A lot of people mention a horrible DRM/Rootkit, is that still in the installation?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/582660/discussions/9/2119355556482775513/

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is the market/crafting/trading craziness i've read about enough to just play the game for? It all sounds kinda neat, but i dont care about the other mmo stuff

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

queeb posted:

is the market/crafting/trading craziness i've read about enough to just play the game for? It all sounds kinda neat, but i dont care about the other mmo stuff

There is so much to do in the game and each activity is so indepth that you can pick to just play the market or just focus on crafting and it'll eat hours of your day away. I spent all weekend just running around the hills mining ore and chopping wood to covert and sell on the market.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
So I've been starting to get into all of the lifeskill stuff but one thing I'm not sure about is if/how to spread the skills out.

I figured it would be a bit easier to have an alt to leave in town to level the skills on mostly just so I don't need to go all the way back to town to craft or process or whatever.

I realize it's bad to spread the skills around too much with some of the high level dailies requiring more then 1 skill, but am I entirely loving myself by having a third character with cooking leveled or is this a lovely idea and I should just do it all on one character?

J
Jun 10, 2001

queeb posted:

Give the 7 day free trial a shot. The game is pretty drat obtuse and complicated, so I doubt 7 days will be enough to really get a feel for if you'd like it or not. Personally I love the worker node network system in this game, but to grow it initially you'll have to do some pretty typical MMO quests for a while. Later on, cooking becomes better but it will be a long time before you reach that point. So it kinda depends on where you draw the line regarding the other mmo stuff.

ComradeBigT posted:

So I've been starting to get into all of the lifeskill stuff but one thing I'm not sure about is if/how to spread the skills out.

I figured it would be a bit easier to have an alt to leave in town to level the skills on mostly just so I don't need to go all the way back to town to craft or process or whatever.

I realize it's bad to spread the skills around too much with some of the high level dailies requiring more then 1 skill, but am I entirely loving myself by having a third character with cooking leveled or is this a lovely idea and I should just do it all on one character?

Main thing here is to think about pearl shop purchases (if any), since they are character specific. If I could go back and do it all again I'd split up my characters like this:

1) Combat character, log out at your favorite spot. Most of the best endgame grind spots are in the middle of nowhere, so if you can stay parked there it saves a ton of time running around.
2) Fisherman, if you care about fishing. Stay at level 49 (don't complete the quest to unlock level 50+ so you can't be PK'd, the best fishing spots are outside safe zones), do all the inventory space quests and buy inventory space on this character since fishing really depends on inventory space. Being able to log out in the ocean is a big time saver.
3) Other stuff. Processing really benefits from that outfit that lets you process stuff directly from storage, as well as max weight limit purchases. Weight limit is also very nice for gathering and cooking. Keep this character at level 49 or lower as well. As of right now there isn't anything you need to gather in any kind of dangerous area that would require a higher level, so might as well stay safe from people trying to kill you.
4) Boss alt. Get whatever class to level 56, throw whatever lovely gear on it, when a world boss spawns go smack it and hope you get a boss piece or weapon box. Don't equip any crystals you'd care about breaking, don't worry about your exp so you don't have anything to lose if you die to the boss.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what's the best solo character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

queeb posted:

what's the best solo character?

This is not a holy trinity MMO with tanks and healers. Every class are DPS, with some having slightly more defensive skills due to ~class fantasy~.
The cliché "the best class is the one you find the most fun" has never been more true in any MMO than this. You really need to enjoy playing your class to be able to grind exp when you are high level, as it takes forever.

Taran posted:

You mean the "[Offhand] of Dim/Concentrated/Sealed Magical Power"? I'm pretty sure those come from the last quest in the pre-Mediah Black Spirit quest chain, after you defeat Hexe Marie -- http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/678/6/

Yup thats the one, and you are correct about how you get it. I got it the other day. I guess i could have updated my post...

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 12, 2017