Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

:rolleyes:

Zits

Reply All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

I don't know why I ever question anything about this shite, but who on earth locks up the children's summer toys til early July?* Don't US school kids get finished in May/June? (depending on the school, I guess -- mine finished in late May/first week of June). The kids don't finish the school yeat til mid/late July, but I've seen plenty of them out playing on skateboards and scooters and stuff during half-terms and Easter break prior to then.

*Especially when there's been plenty of strips showing Fritzi out sunbathing with her transitor radio and all that poo poo.

Who sunbathes on their lawn, anyway?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Say Nothing posted:

Plenty of people? That strip is poo poo but I'm willing to give them a pass on that particular thing, except for the fact that it's only in the strip for stupid cheesecake reasons. But sunbathing in one's lawn isn't exactly uncommon. If you're not super convenient to a beach, or only have a little bit of free time and want to get tan, where else would you go? Most people probably don't listen to a bunch of outdated music, though.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Does 9 Chickweed Lane actually run in newspapers? Does anyone actually like it? It's so god drat bad that I'm almost fascinated by how poorly done it is.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FrumpleOrz posted:

Does 9 Chickweed Lane actually run in newspapers? Does anyone actually like it? It's so god drat bad that I'm almost fascinated by how poorly done it is.

Last I heard, it was in two of them and I want to say one of them was the LA Times for some bizarre reason. I don't know what the count is now.

It definitely used to run in a bunch of papers in the past; certainly the Dallas Morning News in the early 2000s, for example.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

I know it used to have a big following who called Brooke the "Worshipful Master" and defended the strip from the mean ol' trolls who dared to suggest that he wasn't a very good writer. I don't know what happened to them after Brooke shut down the comments on GoComics.

The Classic Dinette Set owns a piece of history.

Working Daze is a flusher.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is two for the price of one.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Yeah, 9CWL is still in the L.A. Times, but I don't think they run the Sunday strips though. The last time I checked, I could only find a handful of papers that had it in the physical edition (well, the online e-edition replicas of those papers).

If you want to try a test to see how popular a comic is, try running a search of it on Pressreader.com. It will give you the results from the newspapers that it carries, so you can get a feel of the true number from there.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know it used to have a big following who called Brooke the "Worshipful Master" and defended the strip from the mean ol' trolls who dared to suggest that he wasn't a very good writer. I don't know what happened to them after Brooke shut down the comments on GoComics.

It was "Honorable Master." I'm ashamed that I remember that from whatever iteration of the thread it was when we found that.

Moomin on the Riviera Page 6

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julet Esqu posted:

Don't lie. You saw no such thing. Kids don't like dangerous hobbies.

If anybody has his finger on the pulse of youth culture today, It's definitely Muppet Babies' Guy Gilchrist.

Busted! :(

Well, then, here's something I do know a little about cos in a past life I used to teach a module on the history of pop music, and Ripley's left out the good part:

The plan was to use the teleharmonium to provide piped in music to hotels and dance-rooms from a distance, mainly because the instrument was not portable by any stretch of the imagination (the first one weighed 7 tons; the next model weighed about 200 tons). It was cobbled together using parts from a telephone switchboard, because when it was invented in the 1890s, the only means to electric amplification were telephones -- this is long before the days of electric recording and playback (and before the days even of Johnson's perfected mechanical gramophones and Victrolas.) It's also the age before valves (or vacuum tubes), so it was a hell of a drain on the local power supply to get this thing working. It was as if P D Q Bach actually saw his pandemonium realised.

That said, because the instrument used telephone switchboard keys to make each note, it could play only one note at a time. And it needed other phones to be able to listen to it -- so matey (it was invented by Thaddeus Cahill), commandeered the phone system in his part of New York City. There were some public performances, but it was mostly a novelty thing -- read the Wikipedia article linked below for how they got the thing to work!

This was not a by-choice streaming service for teleharmonium fans: he brought East side business to a screaming halt, because people picked up the phones to hear this guy playing away on this mad instrument. Eventually a group of angry folks broke into the warehouse where the original instrument was housed, busted it up, and tossed the bits into the East River. Cahill built others, but ended up scrapping them as they just could not reach the commercial potential envisioned -- ballrooms in Boston, for example, having teleharmonium music phoned in from New York, &c.

More about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telharmonium

More detailed article http://synthmuseum.com/magazine/0102jw.html

There are no contemporary recordings, but this documentary has a recreated one, and starts out with what the original instrument would have sounded like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunkjJvbrHs

Enjoy!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Say Nothing posted:

Soz double post -- just Gilchrist showing his age again; I remember my sister and her friends doing so back in the late 60s, when we lived in a typical surburan housing development.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
sexy Dustin fan service strip

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Mandrake

Mirros don't work that way, buddy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 25, 1995)

Garfield Classic (August 25, 1985)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Yes, this is chiefly how children in elementary school think and act. Gilchrist is ever so in touch.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gilchrist's Nancy is a loving tragedy

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This storyline prompted me to email an old friend. Thanks, Beatty.

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 25, 1995)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Man let's all take a minute to appreciate the keypad kid

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

dismas posted:

Man let's all take a minute to appreciate the keypad kid

You almost got me to go like the Keypad Kid Project on Facebook, but the account doesn't seem to have posted anything in nearly 2 years.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

You almost got me to go like the Keypad Kid Project on Facebook, but the account doesn't seem to have posted anything in nearly 2 years.

boyce come back to us

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I imagine he retired the Keypad Kid's nemesis, the Rotary Phone Rogue around 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Calaveron posted:

I imagine he retired the Keypad Kid's nemesis, the Rotary Phone Rogue around 2005

They both outlasted his earlier character, the Telegraph Twerp.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

some random Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Not sure if this was posted or not, but if you ever wanna read up on the kaiju and anime opinions of the current Sally Forth team, do I have the link for you!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-07-05/interview-sally-forth-creative-team-talk-anime-kaiju-in-latest-arc/.118183

Also yo Ripley's, you just used a variation of that fact about Charles Darwin's tortoise like last week.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Joey Wilson

e:

quote:

Keefe: Not at all. Readers of our strip share the same love of kaiju, anime and manga as the Forth family has. And, as a side note, I wrote and drew the Flash Gordon comic strip for a number of years, so I've been itching to put some monsters back in the Sunday comics for a while now. Francesco knows he always has that in his back pocket regarding storylines if need be…
Can't wait for the Forths to crash-land on the planet Mongo.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 9, 2017

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Instead of just complaining about 9 Chickweed Lane, I figured I could start posting some comics myself!

Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound & Gagged

Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!

On The Fastrack

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Instead of just complaining about 9 Chickweed Lane, I figured I could start posting some comics myself!

Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound & Gagged

Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!

On The Fastrack

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

I think we'd rather you just limit yourself to complaining about 9CL

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jesus, The Lockhorns is still going? How long can you milk "this married couple hates each other"?

fake edit: apparently since 1968.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I think we'd rather you just limit yourself to complaining about 9CL

We'll all suffer through this together!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're gonna post Fast Track, include the other comic Holbrook does too. The name of which I forget.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

If you're gonna post Fast Track, include the other comic Holbrook does too. The name of which I forget.

Safe Havens? Sure thing!

EDIT: Here's yesterday's of that. I guess it doesn't update on Sundays.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 9, 2017

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Yes! More comics for the comics Gods! And On the Fastrack is a thread staple.

Anyone know who started this twitter account? I'm assuming it's just a bot scraping pages.
https://twitter.com/GoonComics

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (October, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (October, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (September, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (March, 1941)

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (January, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I suddenly have this suspicion that Locher was giving the finger to readers who complained about his pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Cameo of?

• Locked thread