Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zombiepop posted:

any tips for dithmarshen? The cheev seems pretty easy but I dont usually play in the HRE. What are the do's and dont's?

I have been playing a game with them and enjoying it a lot. I started by leaving all rivals blank (make sure you don't rival the free cities because it's unlikely you will ever be able to conquer them) and trying to catch any of the OPMs on the coast without alliances and rival and eat them whenever possible. Build enough transports and men to just jump on them. I didn't bother trying to take on Denmark for at least a hundred years and they can actually be a good ally if they can keep on to Sweden. I eventually formed the Netherlands (don't do this if you want to keep expanding in the HRE; I didn't realize it takes you out of it) because I hadn't played with that government type yet. Overall, the biggest roadblock is AE, but remember that you can use the auto diplomat feature to keeps relations up with people who may coalition you.

I think that I went diplomacy and then defensive and then was rich enough from eating England that money wasn't a problem. Make good use of your mercenaries because manpower is hard to come by for quite a while. I lost a few times by getting too greedy or by getting into alliances that caused me to get eaten. Don't get discouraged, it gets to be a very fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can eat the free cities by making them co beligerents, you should definitely do this as those trade power provinces are strong

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

take plutocratic ideas and then ditch the republic as soon as possible

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
ok thanks! will give it another shot tomorrow

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Just de-state everywhere except romania, then re-state greece.

Would this also work for religious conversion? I'm trying to convert my mega-Byzantium into Catholic but you need >50% of your (possibly development, or possibly just number of provinces? I don't know) to be the new religion before the rebels can force convert you, and apparently being in a war no longer prevents rebels from enforcing their demands

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RabidWeasel posted:

You can eat the free cities by making them co beligerents

gently caress, I wish I'd known this for my Dithsmarchen run

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

While we're handing out hot tips, I'm thinking about starting an Aq Qoyunlu game, switching to Coptic, eventually forming Persia, and scooping up This is Persia. All ears if anyone has tips they're itching to share.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Also remember to enjoy your 15th century peasant revolution over Europe!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

While we're handing out hot tips, I'm thinking about starting an Aq Qoyunlu game, switching to Coptic, eventually forming Persia, and scooping up This is Persia. All ears if anyone has tips they're itching to share.

You need to culture shift as well since Aq starts as Turkish. Also, starting as any of the minor states in the east Anatolia region is balls hard since they added the "too many relations" penalty. You might be in for a bad time.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 8, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Alright! Finally got the kinslayer achievement by burning Bohemia to the loving ground and breaking all their allies to pieces. Some of the weirder poo poo I've seen in EU4 happened this game:

Ottomans and Tunisians became significant colonial powers (before I started kicking their poo poo in). It's not uncommon to see the Ottomans in Asia, the Spice Islands, etc, but seeing a big, Tunisian Mexico was something new.
The Dutch became pretty drat strong. Four out of five games I play, they're either annexed outright in the first couple decades or reduced to an irrelevant minor power. They managed to take all the Netherlands plus a nice chunk of the surrounding area, and pretty much the entire ivory coast trade node.
Aragon formed Spain--but both Portugal and Castile survived until I called it quits (1770s). Castile managed to accomplish an exodus to to the Louisiana Territory, while Portugal moved to South Africa (and somehow managed to hold onto much of the caribbean!)
I've mentioned it in an earlier post, but the AI was going for the Shahanshah achievement--Tabarestan managed to take over most of the Persia region and became a pretty beefy power.
Also, something I've never seen happened. The entirety of Scandinavia (Originally Denmark) was brought into the HRE and Finland was made an elector. Scandinavia was frequently the Emperor. No clue how or when exactly it was brought in.

A side thought after this game: Has the game seemed more blobby in recent versions? (Past year or so, I guess) I remember you used to see a fair bit more countries in the HRE even at the end and so on. I dunno--maybe the AI was more likely to force enemies to release countries before or maybe I'm imagining things.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 8, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I converted over a CK2 roman empire and for once I think Humanist is going to be my first pick given how many different cultures and religions are in the empire. Absolutely no idea what to go for for my military picks, though; something to make manpower losses a bit more bearable or keep army tradition up while between conquests I suspect.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

PittTheElder posted:

Last time I played Aq I was a tributary of Timmy and allied to the Mamluks, which was a stronger diplomatic position than I expected a 3PM horde to be in. Made hoovering up the beyliks and carving up Qara pretty easy, just get carfeul to not get stackwiped by a Qara stack or Armenian rebels since you're poor and have no strategic depth losing your army can be a deathblow.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

You can eat the free cities by making them co beligerents, you should definitely do this as those trade power provinces are strong

It's amazing that I still learn new things about this game after having over a thousand hours between this and EU3.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

A side thought after this game: Has the game seemed more blobby in recent versions? (Past year or so, I guess) I remember you used to see a fair bit more countries in the HRE even at the end and so on. I dunno--maybe the AI was more likely to force enemies to release countries before or maybe I'm imagining things.

For several patches the AI aggressiveness was so low that they virtually never started any wars, you're correct but it's because the AI is now better at actually playing the game than it used to be.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Uh wasn't this fixed and the CTA is treated properly now, calling in the emperor? If not, enjoy your HRE games until it is, I guess.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Mr. Fowl posted:

In my experience the AIs that can blob will do so, and it's been consistent over all of the patches.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Joined the 4-digit club today, looking forward to another 1k hours.

Apparently I bought this game on April 5, 2016. :stare:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Uh wasn't this fixed and the CTA is treated properly now, calling in the emperor? If not, enjoy your HRE games until it is, I guess.

It worked at least in whatever patch gave unique ideas to Dithmarschen, I think that was 1.20.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Haven't played in a while, but looks like they fixed the AI disinheriting any chance it gets. RIP auto Serbia/Bavaria/Castile PU at start.

Also, I'm finally tired of paying for DLC. Am I really missing anything skipping 3rd Rome?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Detheros posted:

Joined the 4-digit club today, looking forward to another 1k hours.

Apparently I bought this game on April 5, 2016. :stare:

That's about 41 days out of the last 15 months

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
So I ditched the Burgundy -> Netherlands game after it was confirmed there was no way around ceding land to France and started up as Savoy with the intention of forming Sardinia-Piedmont:

I got the inheritance through a royal marriage (which was a surprise) which immediately changed my game plan. I culture converted and just sat around cherry picking for awhile; Bohemia (allied to Turks) had been emperor since the 1400's and the reformation never really kicked off, so I buttered up the electors and claimed the throne before tag switching. Decided not to change to a republic since it will take minimal effort to revoke the privilegia.

Pretty happy with how this game has turned out, it's been super chill and has required minimal effort.... so far.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Chump Farts posted:

Haven't played in a while, but looks like they fixed the AI disinheriting any chance it gets. RIP auto Serbia/Bavaria/Castile PU at start.

Also, I'm finally tired of paying for DLC. Am I really missing anything skipping 3rd Rome?

Do you often play as Russians/Orthodox? If so, yeah, it's not like the best poo poo ever but it does add some neat and useful stuff to those nations. If no, no.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I do wish patriarch authority had some less drastic, more organic ways to boost it, like conversion or it ticks up with religious unity or something.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

spectralent posted:

I do wish patriarch authority had some less drastic, more organic ways to boost it, like conversion or it ticks up with religious unity or something.

You give it a boost every time you seek the support of the clergy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Unrelatedly what can I spend military power on? I'm way ahead of time in mil tech, max legitimacy so I don't need to strengthen government, already rerolled all my generals to be great, and I'm content to keep busting rebels periodically to keep tradition up.

YF-23 posted:

You give it a boost every time you seek the support of the clergy.

Oh, fffff-

Thanks!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Absolute worst-case, you could develop manpower.

Especially if your capital is close to but not quite 50 development, since getting it to 50 is an objective for Splendor in the final age.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

spectralent posted:

Unrelatedly what can I spend military power on? I'm way ahead of time in mil tech, max legitimacy so I don't need to strengthen government, already rerolled all my generals to be great, and I'm content to keep busting rebels periodically to keep tradition up.
I pick a state and develop the poo poo out of its manpower (over time, of course, not all at once) and then I turn on the Edict that boosts manpower in that state. It can help a ton. Or what Jabor said.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I haven't played since a little before Mandate of Heaven. I hear that had some issues, should I stay 1.9 or play on the current patch? Are the DLCs worth getting?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So, I think there might be a bit of an issue with ages and the save converter: It's 1554 and no Age of Reformation yet, probably because I restored the Pentarchy, so there's no Catholics to protest against. Does anyone know if the Age of Absolutism will still fire when global trade gets discovered or is the world permanently stuck in the era of discovery?

Jabor posted:

Absolute worst-case, you could develop manpower.

Especially if your capital is close to but not quite 50 development, since getting it to 50 is an objective for Splendor in the final age.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I pick a state and develop the poo poo out of its manpower (over time, of course, not all at once) and then I turn on the Edict that boosts manpower in that state. It can help a ton. Or what Jabor said.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to try and get to 50 dev in my capital; it's working out okay.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I haven't played since a little before Mandate of Heaven. I hear that had some issues, should I stay 1.9 or play on the current patch? Are the DLCs worth getting?

Do you want to play one of the russian states/orthodox countries? Then third rome might be worthwhile. If you don't intend to pour a ton of hours into that region, do not buy that pack.

Mandate is pretty much a similar situation, unfortunately. Good if you want to play in that region, kind of worthless if you don't. Not sure what other paid improvements it has outside of that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oh also whoever was posting about all of Scandinavia getting added to the HRE earlier: you don't know how good you had it.

Commonwealth formed in like loving 1500 and was also allied to any two of Austria, France and Sweden almost this whole time. It took forever to be able to meet them in a straight fight too. Luckily when I did manage to win a war their armies/manpower got drained enough that the Ottomans decided to jump on them and tie them up for most of the duration of our truce.

I started out this game trying to get the Siberian coast by 1600 achievement and missed out on it, having thought it would be pretty much a gimme. The key is how quickly you can form Russia, since Muscovy doesn't have Siberian Frontiers you can hardly make progress until you switch over. It's also the second idea so if you've been spending too much on tech you can trip yourself up that way. Even then, I raced out to the coast by 1602, but it wouldn't have done me much good to be earlier because one of the Siberian minors was a tributary. Even in mid-18th century I've not been bothering to fight Ming, projecting power to Siberia against them in 1600 would be a nightmare. So really you need to get out there right away before Ming starts caring.

I still had a lot of fun. The basic funness of playing in Russia holds up, you can just expand forever, once you get your poo poo together and stretch to the Pacific you have so much manpower and can just conquer what you want and steal all the tradebucks from India/Persia/wherever. The new Russian powers are neat, the adm/dip ones are really handy for dealing with the endless revolts in 3 dev provinces 100 days away from your nearest army, and the mil one is almost over the top just for how many dudes it gives you. I could right now spawn 100+ infantry for free, every 15 years. I have more streltsys than I know what to do with. The icon bonuses/patriarchs are nice, but I wish there were maybe two or three more icons (a money-making focused one would be nice for example).

Not pictured, Ming Mexico.

Sadly I think I'll have to abandon the game there, it has gotten weirdly unstable and can't seem to go a decade without CTDs.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I see your Russia and raise mine. I neglected the hordes so a mega-Khorasan and mega-Delhi formed, but I don't feel like going against them for lovely steppe land since using Europe as your punching bag is just so fun.

I punched the Ottomans so hard that they spat out the Mamluks (turned Egypt) and am now kicking their teeth in as soon as the truce timer is over, stealing more turkish land and making them release more nations / give back whatever cores they re-grabbed from other nations each time. That +20 states Russian splendor ability from age of revolutions is awesome, I basically stated the hell out of anything even remotely valuable

Bohemia is my faithful ally, as is Revolutionary France but the latter is now my only possible rival, anyway this run they're not that great since they couldn't kick England out... still a superpower but not the best of what France can be. Oh also Austria had all of hungary, until I decided I was more suited to have it. I'll probably nibble some more from them too.

Yeah Russia is kinda overpowered with Third Rome.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

loving FINALLY.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nice. I felt really hemmed in and isolated on the European border until I finally allied Austria and a large Brandenburg in the late 17th century. I basically bordered either Sweden and Commonwealth (permanent buds) and Ottos (huge and rich), or a bunch of crappy central Asian/West Indian minors, so as always I chose to beat up the wimpy poor people.

TorakFade posted:

That +20 states Russian splendor ability from age of revolutions is awesome, I basically stated the hell out of anything even remotely valuable

Yeah it owns.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I still really wish they'd tweak tributary mechanics so Ming doesn't have tributaries to the Urals. Increase the range penalty for nations to accept, and imo also add some cost to Ming for the number of tributaries. A small amount of yearly corruption for each tributary? It's not like they don't have the cash to pay that down.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

skasion posted:

Nice. I felt really hemmed in and isolated on the European border until I finally allied Austria and a large Brandenburg in the late 17th century. I basically bordered either Sweden and Commonwealth (permanent buds) and Ottos (huge and rich), or a bunch of crappy central Asian/West Indian minors, so as always I chose to beat up the wimpy poor people.

When I saw the notification that poland had chosen a local noble instead of getting the PU over Lithuania, I knew I was in for a really good time. I really can't fathom why would they ever do that but hey, your loss my gain :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I still really wish they'd tweak tributary mechanics so Ming doesn't have tributaries to the Urals. Increase the range penalty for nations to accept, and imo also add some cost to Ming for the number of tributaries. A small amount of yearly corruption for each tributary? It's not like they don't have the cash to pay that down.

Yes it is still bad that Ming survives literally every game where you don't purposely ruin them. I think your former suggestion is the no-brainer fix, it flat out doesn't make any sense (gameplay wise) for Ming to be sphering Uzbekistan and Pacific Coast Indians.

I don't think the latter will occur because the mandate/Celestial Empire mechanic is geared to make you (and/or the AI) to want to get lots of tributaries instead of conquering the hell out of weaker neighbors like you would normally want to in their very strong position. They don't want to punish you for making the green number go up basically.

e: Maybe this is a dumb idea but what if they kept the tribute options the same but made them less frequent? Every five years instead of every year? Or on every new (overlord or tributary) monarch or something? I don't know if it's historical fact that tribute to Ming emperors was annually paid, but the bonus it gives is just too strong and could stand to be cut down. You could even make it a diplo option to send tribute or something. Right now another problem the system has is that tributaries never ever stop paying once Ming grabs them, they can't drift out of Ming's orbit and no individual tributary is usually powerful enough to fight free of Ming.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 9, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I haven't got Mandate of Heaven, but do the tributaries have any downsides for Ming? Aside from incentivizing not conquering them? I mean, if things are going great maybe it's fine as is, but I'm not aware of any real downsides for Ming if their tributaries leave - aside from losing the tribute? Kinda seems like a tributary leaving should have ramifications for Ming, like reducing their Mandate, which could scale with the tribute the state used to pay. That would incentivize keeping fewer but more closely aligned tributaries, rather than just inviting everyone to join. (Assuming weakly connected tributaries were likely to leave at some point.)

This would also allow a strong tributary to directly undermine Ming before an attempt to destroy them, as renouncing their tributary status would soften Ming up before a war declaration. Conversely, it would incentivize Ming to keep their tributaries in line, so that no single state can cause a massive Mandate loss. Which I think would actually incentivize something akin to China's historical approach to the hordes?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I haven't got Mandate of Heaven, but do the tributaries have any downsides for Ming? Aside from incentivizing not conquering them? I mean, if things are going great maybe it's fine as is, but I'm not aware of any real downsides for Ming if their tributaries leave - aside from losing the tribute? Kinda seems like a tributary leaving should have ramifications for Ming, like reducing their Mandate, which could scale with the tribute the state used to pay. That would incentivize keeping fewer but more closely aligned tributaries, rather than just inviting everyone to join. (Assuming weakly connected tributaries were likely to leave at some point.)

This would also allow a strong tributary to directly undermine Ming before an attempt to destroy them, as renouncing their tributary status would soften Ming up before a war declaration. Conversely, it would incentivize Ming to keep their tributaries in line, so that no single state can cause a massive Mandate loss. Which I think would actually incentivize something akin to China's historical approach to the hordes?

There aren't any downsides or costs for Ming having tributaries other than getting called into wars since they're considered the overlord. Doesn't occupy a relations slot or anything.

Tributaries do give Mandate (scaling based on their development, I think), and Ming gets a Mandate penalty for having non-tributary neighbors. This actually makes becoming Emperor as Qing a huge pain in the rear end, because when you take the Mandate you suddenly have a high-development Ming neighbor who won't be your tributary and that tanks your Mandate. Right now you basically have to grind Ming down over many wars before taking the Mandate from them otherwise it's a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Detheros posted:

loving FINALLY.

Random New World?

Just had a game where it turned up in the 1530s because one continent spawned in the south west of the new world and no-one could reach it.

Is it for RNW to spawn no new world?

• Locked thread