Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

this one is great and I wish there were more chapters. I've been dying to read more of this because tiny strong girl x large meek boy is a great combo

Yeah, I always like strong female protagonists so much more than the weak meek ones and weird big socially awkward men are fun too. I'll keep an eye for more mangas with that combo for you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Since we've broached the subject, would anyone care for some recs for trans-related manga? I could write up a short post about them (or a long one, if it turns out that way).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mikl posted:

Since we've broached the subject, would anyone care for some recs for trans-related manga? I could write up a short post about them (or a long one, if it turns out that way).

Do it!

Unrelated, but the OP could really do with being updated. :v:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There are too many amazing faces in the new Kaguya to pick just one.

False

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ZiegeDame posted:

There are too many amazing faces in the new Kaguya to pick just one.

False

Yeah that's the one I hoped you'd pick.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Hahahahh that was perfect. And for once reading the comments on Batoto actually paid off.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

pandabear posted:

Here are some recently updated shoujo manga I have been guiltily enjoying. Summaries may or may not be accurate:

Sekai de Ichiban Warui Majo
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sekai-de-Ichiban-Warui-Majo
300 year old witch who has the cutest bestest skeleton deer and some random guy who seems kinda sleaze, but the deer is really adorbs. It's nice how since she's super old, she is unfazed by the guy's put-ons. I too hope to be 300 and single some day.

I've been following the raws, so I'm glad that this series is getting English translations! I like the magic system in this a lot and how it's based more on adventure stuff than just romance. Also, the horantlers/deer are pretty cute :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pandabear posted:

Yeah, I always like strong female protagonists so much more than the weak meek ones and weird big socially awkward men are fun too. I'll keep an eye for more mangas with that combo for you :)

I feel like you gotta watch out for faux-strong shoujo protagonists though. A big cliche seems to be "normal/poor girl attracts the attention of super rich/popular guys by being bold and unconcerned with their wealth/popularity, because she is ~not like all those other girls~." A good example is the protagonist of Hana Yori Dango. It basically creates the illusion of a strong protagonist, when in a more meta sense the reader still finds the love interest(s) appealing due to their power relative to the protagonist (and, at the end, despite all their bluster about wealth not mattering, the protagonist still only really interacts with these rich/powerful people).

To be completely fair, though, I completely understand the appeal of "cutting down" haughty/popular guys; it's basically a similar mindset to that involved with many "tsundere" love interests in shounen manga.

I definitely agree that it's the most interesting when the protagonist is strong relative to the love interest, or when the love interest or protagonist have some other interesting/uncharacteristic personality traits.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In this case it's kind of literal strength, the girl can pretty much win one-on-one fights with dudes (but, like a sane person, isn't about to try fighting groups).

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like you gotta watch out for faux-strong shoujo protagonists though. A big cliche seems to be "normal/poor girl attracts the attention of super rich/popular guys by being bold and unconcerned with their wealth/popularity, because she is ~not like all those other girls~." A good example is the protagonist of Hana Yori Dango. It basically creates the illusion of a strong protagonist, when in a more meta sense the reader still finds the love interest(s) appealing due to their power relative to the protagonist (and, at the end, despite all their bluster about wealth not mattering, the protagonist still only really interacts with these rich/powerful people).

To be completely fair, though, I completely understand the appeal of "cutting down" haughty/popular guys; it's basically a similar mindset to that involved with many "tsundere" love interests in shounen manga.

I definitely agree that it's the most interesting when the protagonist is strong relative to the love interest, or when the love interest or protagonist have some other interesting/uncharacteristic personality traits.

Excuse me but SEXISM IS OVER

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of girls who are stronger than beat up their boyfriends

Hori can be quite a pain in the rear end sometimes. Or face.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 30, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
An appropriate reaction to the Hori/Miyamura relationship:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That vampire manga is creepy as gently caress. Mostly not because vampires, the vampire is just a mega-creepy loser stalker.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of girls who are stronger than beat up their boyfriends

Hori can be quite a pain in the rear end sometimes. Or face.

argh this chapter was annoying, that kind of manipulative poo poo + all the violence
like, she needs to be in therapy or something she's got some pretty disturbing behaviors that are being played as gags

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

argh this chapter was annoying, that kind of manipulative poo poo + all the violence
like, she needs to be in therapy or something she's got some pretty disturbing behaviors that are being played as gags

I haven't read anything else from that series but that chapter and holy poo poo :sever:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pavlov posted:

I haven't read anything else from that series but that chapter and holy poo poo :sever:
90% of the series is great and flows real naturally. And then chapters like this fill up the other 10%.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, the series is mostly good but occasionally goes to this well in ways that are deeply uncomfortable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll just say that Hori's got issues, but is a hell of a lot better than some of the crazies I've known in the past. It can be soooooo much worse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a little too real

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a little too real

Yeah it almost makes me wonder if she's based on someone the author knows/knew IRL.
When jokes like this show up it's like someone in your friend group making jokes about his terrible relationship expecting everyone to go LOL WOMEN RITE and instead everyone just looks around awkwardly at each other and they don't get invited back.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah it almost makes me wonder if she's based on someone the author knows/knew IRL.
When jokes like this show up it's like someone in your friend group making jokes about his terrible relationship expecting everyone to go LOL WOMEN RITE and instead everyone just looks around awkwardly at each other and they don't get invited back.

You're not alone and it's a shame since I like the art and the earlier vol :smith:

The best case scenario is that they :sever: before the year is over.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alder posted:

You're not alone and it's a shame since I like the art and the earlier vol :smith:

The best case scenario is that they :sever: before the year is over.

Or they get her the help she needs.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chumbler posted:

Or they get her the help she needs.

Get out of here w/your logic in the anime forums <:mad:>

Also, we can't change people so it's best to leave them alone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not in real life but that's why fiction is better

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hori's got problems but they're not unlivable ones. Considering the country they're in where mental health treatment has been historically "poor", shall we say.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Hori's got problems but they're not unlivable ones. Considering the country they're in where mental health treatment has been historically "poor", shall we say.

I'm not Japanese but it's getting better :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yona 143

:zoro:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

5 new acchi kocchi chapters!!!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm getting caught up on The Demon Prince of Momochi House and while it is a harem, the harem belongs to Aoi (the main guy) and Himari is just a member of it :v:

Aoi also turns into a hot cat-fox-demon thing so this is basically laser targeted at the Kamisama Kiss audience. The art is really pretty too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read the first chapter of this josei manga "Hakoiri no Musume", and the protagonist starts the manga with a boyfriend, but then she runs into this other tall scarecrow guy and I was like "sucks to be the boyfriend."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
June has another BL kickstarter funding campaign, this time to do new editions of some older, out of print titles:
https://junemanga.com/products/june-classic-revival-one?variant=43829051406

quote:

A Promise of Romance by Kyoko Akitsu
Edward, an English nobleman, is every bit the handsome prince, except he doesn’t have a damsel in distress. Edward’s relatives have been trying to arrange a marriage for him after finding out that his late father’s will stipulates that Edward must be married by the time he reaches the age of 26 or he risks losing control of the family estate and fortune. Rebelling against his family’s wishes, Edward sets off to find himself a wife of his own choosing. But instead of a wife, he finds Satsuki, a young Japanese exchange student attending theater classes at a local college. Of course, there’s a catch… Satsuki is a boy!

Endless Comfort by Sakuya Sakura

On the two-year anniversary of the death of his mother, Masaki Kuzumi returns to the beautiful manor home where she once lived. There, he meets the kind, devoted dog trainer Yuu Kanai and instantly responds to the younger man's sweet nature…but something behind Yuu's smile hints at a secret darkness that Kuzumi knows all too well. Can these two men band together and shine the light of forgiveness on all of their past regrets?

Secrecy of the Shivering Night by Muku Ogura
When Himi was a small boy, he became terrified of the dark thanks to a trauma suffered during a earthquake. His dorm mate Furuya is afraid of bright lights, so what can they do? Featuring a gentle tale of school romance that is born when two souls reach out to comfort one another.

I'm not super duper excited about these particular books but I do want to support their campaigns so they keep doing them so I will probably spring for the 3 ebook pack.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I started reading the Full-Time Wife Escapist. I like it so far. The beginning of them living together gives me Bonnouji vibes. Hopefully it'll keep that up without introducing big drama.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm---I'm at the point where I think I've read all the decent manga out so far unless I double down and start learning JPN like I've been intending to for the last decade or so :sigh:

How do you find new manga series? Typically, I will browse the scanlation groups and see if anything looks interesting from the covers then read 1-2 chapters. I lurk here and there but lately, I feel like there's a lull in my reading habits and nothing stands out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My system involves using baka-updatesmangaupdates for both finding new series (by using their advanced search, since it lets me not only include/exclude what I want to find, but also only search for finished/unfinished series), and also using it to keep track of what I've actually read - although that requires creating a user.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
ALL of the decent manga? really?

I feel like for that to possibly be true your scope would have to be hyper limited.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I check the new updates page on mangago (insert your reader site of preference here) and read first chapters of anything that looks remotely interesting. having an account means I can then follow the ones I like and get notifications when they've updated.

I have between 5-10 new chapters to read nearly every day that way and find new stuff all the time. Also if an author has more work I haven't read I'll check out the other stuff they've done.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Same as Burrito, but on Batoto. I follow a bunch of things, look at their home page/search their site for anything interesting when there's a lull, and keep my ear to the ground around here. The "post one image" thread has introduced me to a lot of good stuff.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Same. I'll either check new updates, or the listing for a genre and sort by popularity (you can do this on kissmanga, which is a complete crapshoot but I can use it at work so oh well). I also intentionally veer out of my genre occasionally, but that really depends on my mood. Still, it's found me good stuff. Really it just has to have art I like for me to at least take a look.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah good art lures me in all the time which doesn't always pan out but it's usually at least worth a peek through one chapter. This is usually what gets me to open a new shounen manga lol

I don't limit myself on genre either, my list is fairly broad since I enjoy a good mix of romance + non-romance action-y stuff and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Caitlin posted:

ALL of the decent manga? really?

I feel like for that to possibly be true your scope would have to be hyper limited.

Probably :shrug:

I've been reading manga over a decade though starting in JR High until now so I have a good idea of which manga I would read vs zone out after a few ch. As I get older I find that I'm more selective since my time is limited and I lack the patience to read super long/incomplete manga series.

I use MangaUpdates to track series info and Manga Rock app to keep track of reading on my slowly dying N7. A ton of romcom and harem manga is immediately shoved to the side unless I like the art/story in particular.