Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I love Friedkin but he's way the heck off base there. The director of Point Blank and Deliverance is not a hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

Whole lotta poo poo talking of Exorcist II and that just cannot stand.

It's nowhere near as scary or technically well crafted as the first but it makes up for it with sheer poetry. In other words it is a John Boorman film.

It's quite good while being audaciously bad. What else would you expect from the director of Zardoz?

DeimosRising posted:

I love Friedkin but he's way the heck off base there. The director of Point Blank and Deliverance is not a hack

According to Friedkin everyone who isn't him is a hack.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Prometheus is hilarious.

This isn't funny either.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

That's more of the nuanced wordplay; when David says "idle hands are the devil's workshop", he is reassuring Oram that he is not a bad robot. Instead of staying idle, David has kept himself very busy - to stay out of trouble. "It's in my nature to stay busy, I suppose."

David's joke is that the "idle hands" are not his hands but these hibernating face-huggers. They lay there, not even fully alive, and David is even 'frustrated' by their idleness.

Of course, as a reader of Milton, Shelley and Byron, David wouldn't shy away from comparisons to Satan. Shelley's criticism of Satan as a character is not that he is too flawed to be good, but that these flaws distract readers from his goodness. David compares himself to Satan, sure, but his point is that he is not Oram's Satan - not some kind of pathological child-molestor or obvious nazi bad guy or whatever. He's the hero, ushering in a utopia.

Again, we return to Byron's point that "the serpent was no more than a mere serpent" - the facehugger is no more than a mere facehugger. Satan does not corrupt a pure humanity; the demon inside Oram was already latent there, waiting to be let free. David is helping him, and all the others, to 'unlock their full potential.'

I see what you're getting at here, but I don't completely agree. David was "idle" in the sense that he was no longer bound to do the works for which he was created. Left to his own devices, he has done the work of Milton's devil.

I feel like a little of this revolves around the interpretation of Oram's line about seeing the Devil- you see Oram's devil as "some kind of pathological child-molestor or obvious nazi bad guy" instead of just being the "demon inside Oram [that] was already latent there." It's Oram's own doubts and misgivings that he tries so hard to compensate for, but that David has wholly embraced. These feelings are, of course, externalized as the xenomorph, which has no delusions about being anything but an eating-loving machine. In a way, Oram and Daniels are aspects of Shaw- Oram represents her obsession with counter-intuitively reconciling her idealized faith with reality, and Daniels represents her adaptability and desire for motherhood (being the terraforming expert, she is figuratively Mother Earth, even). Interesting that David's attempt at loving Oram is actually successful, where Daniels just gets an inept kiss. Hmm. Maybe if Oram and Daniels are 2 aspects of Shaw, that makes the Xenomorph some sort of holy ghost or something, I don't know.

Which reminds me, have you seen the Oshii film Angel's Egg? There's a scene near the end where the weary christ-like protagonist destroys a young girl's faith-egg, which causes her to spiritually transcend through a drowning that creates hundreds of faith-eggs before she joins the godhead. Kind of reminded me of Shaw and her eggs just now, and also Angel's Egg is rad.

It's also worth repeating that the marines in aliens go up against the aliens wearing rudimentary body armour and short-sleeved shirts.

I always thought that, from a "tactically realistic" point of view and discounting the presence of xenomorphs\accellerant, the marines in Aliens were in more danger than the crew of the Prometheus. There's no telling what pathogens have been developing and mutating in the isolated population of Hadley's Hope that foreigners' immune systems wouldn't be able to handle.

DeimosRising posted:

You don't even need the exposition - the crews that explored the New World for Europeans were all fuckups, idiots, and sociopaths,because who else would agree to do it? If you have a stable job, social ties, and talent you don't agree to a multi year voyage with about 4000 potential ways to get yourself killed

Plenty of those missions resulted in Prometheus-level fuckups, too. Prometheus is honestly one of the most realistic depictions of space explorations ever committed to film.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 9, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MajorB posted:

Plenty of those missions resulted in Prometheus-level fuckups, too. Prometheus is honestly one of the most realistic depictions of space explorations ever committed to film.

David goo-bombing the Engineer city is like, only a shortened version of actual history.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The religious guy Oram was literally killed by evolution.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

We'll never get the sci fi Blood Meridian we deserve but Ridley has definitely incorporated some McCarthy into his work since he was attached to the Blood Meridian adaptation/made The Counselor

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

This isn't funny either.
I'm not lying when I say that Prometheus was a laugh-out-loud funny movie experience for me when I originally saw it in theaters. It's thrilling and tense, but it approaches this tension from David's (mostly) justifiably hateful point of view. I'm not gonna claim the whole theater was laughing or anything, but I genuinely found it funny how much of a "gently caress you" statement I felt the movie was making.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Martman posted:

I'm not lying when I say that Prometheus was a laugh-out-loud funny movie experience for me when I originally saw it in theaters. It's thrilling and tense, but it approaches this tension from David's (mostly) justifiably hateful point of view. I'm not gonna claim the whole theater was laughing or anything, but I genuinely found it funny how much of a "gently caress you" statement I felt the movie was making.

Did people look at you weird.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
I think a lot of people got thrown by tonal dissonance between what they were seeing and what they expected from Prometheus. Once you realize that it isn't just you, the characters really are that dumb, the movie becomes a black comedy.

Like Holloway enthusiastically declaring his love for Shaw with arms wide open as he's being decontaminated with a flamethrower. How the hell do you react to someone that obnoxious except by laughing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy's about to die and he says he loves his partner

Insane filmmaking for sure

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

Like Holloway enthusiastically declaring his love for Shaw with arms wide open as he's being decontaminated with a flamethrower. How the hell do you react to someone that obnoxious except by laughing?

Maybe he should of told Shaw to go gently caress herself instead, correct?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A recurring weird theme in these criticisms is the apparent belief that having a profession grants you superhuman capabilities. If you are a zookeeper, it is impossible to be mauled by a tiger. If you are an explorer, you are omniscient - how else would Marco Polo know that China wasn't teeming with radioactive blood-gibbons?

On the flipside, there's this belief that the only way to ever be safe is to insulate yourself inside a permanent bubble and conduct all interactions via internet. The easy-joke conclusion is that people need to get a fuckin job.

People also have these really weird ideas about exploring alien planets, like 'you need a helmet to protect against zombies!' Well, what if the otherwise-harmless alien lichen feeds on the glass of the helmets and, in the process, emits a deadly neurotoxic gas? What if the bulky helmets are misinterpreted as a threat display, by flocks of alien hyper-crows? There is only so much that you can prepare for, and you're only fixated on preparing for zombies because you're that guy in the horror movie who's watched too many horror movies.

It's also worth repeating that the marines in aliens go up against the aliens wearing rudimentary body armour and short-sleeved shirts.

Well here's the major difference, there's accidents and being dumb and the characters in Prometheus (and Covenant, really) are just incredibly dumb. No, being a professional doesn't make you invulnerable but it does give you good sense of what's dangerous or not. Even with that information people still do stupid poo poo but these are things that make the characters in the film look like the idiots who scale skyscrapers and upload videos of them doing spins on the edge of the building with hoverboards or whatever. A biologist treats the giant white serpent as a loving puppy and it takes you right out. I personally don't care for characters like that in a sci-fi film where I expect a little more than gore fodder, especially for two films that are related to Alien and Aliens. Also some super lazy writing to just make drama happen, like Fifield not having any way to get tracking data to find his way out (he seriously has no way to get information from his Pups or have a basic waypoint system? lol gently caress you) or the idiot that manages to nuke the ship in the beginning of Covenant.

Also the Marines in Alien don't act stupidly, they're just a small group sent to deal with some poo poo that's completely out of their hands since they're bravado clearly shows that everything they've dealt with in their careers has been piss easy for them. They're also supposed to imitate US Vietnam troops, hence the short sleeved shirts, and they're even more well equipped than US troops were in Vietnam. They've got nearly full plate armor, automatic sentry guns, auto targetting Smart guns, nukes, knives and sharp sticks. You'd have a point if the squad breaks up into little groups and they send people in one by one to find the hive or some run away and try and survive on the planet's surface away from the colony. But they don't, they stay together and slowly die off because they're in over their heads.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Inability to even correctly identify the genre the film is made in disqualifies you from having further discussion.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Monglo posted:

Inability to even correctly identify the genre the film is made in disqualifies you from having further discussion.

Genre's for marketers.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

or the idiot that manages to nuke the ship in the beginning of Covenant.

She was rightfully panicking

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Monglo posted:

??????

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

porfiria posted:

Did people look at you weird.
No more than usual.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

s.i.r.e. posted:

No, being a professional doesn't make you invulnerable but it does give you good sense of what's dangerous or not.

The Prometheus crew are dumb pawns by design. Weyland didn't give a gently caress about geology and hired the first stoner shitbird who would take the job. He's introduced in a briefing scene where he says he knows nothing and doesn't care and is there for the paycheck. Then he uses his spacesuit as a bong. He's the definition of UNPROFESSIONAL.

The entire line of criticism about how he should have known better "as a professional" makes no sense in light of what the movie EXPLICITLY TELLS US. This isn't subtext, it's just "poo poo that happens in the movie."

The only character pursuing the mission's true objective was David. As for everyone else it was just like Alien: crew expendable.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 9, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MajorB posted:

Hey gently caress you.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The Prometheus crew is dumb. Its clear during a rewatch. However, the film misleads or fails to communicate that clearly. We are told the crew is competent. The crew is confident. And no one acknowledges they are dumb. After examination, we can see that they are dumb. I hold Scott accountable for being misleading or inarticulate in communicating the crew to us.

Prometheus is a funny movie. The danger in comedy is that people will not get the joke. I and everyone I know didn't get the joke.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 9, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What would you say if I told you blade runner is a better movie than alien?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

temple posted:

The Prometheus crew is dumb. Its clear during a rewatch. However, the film misleads or fails to communicate that clearly. We are told the crew is competent. The crew as confident. And no one acknowledges they are dumb. After examination, we can see that they are dumb. I hold Scott accountable for being misleading or inarticulate in communicating the crew to us.

Prometheus is a funny movie. The danger in comedy is that people will not get the joke. I and everyone I know didn't get the joke.

One of the consistent themes of the movie is that so much of the dialog is lies or baseless speculation that you're best served ignoring every bit of exposition you're given. If you watch the movie with the understanding that everyone is full of poo poo except maybe the archeologists (who are constantly doubted and belittled through the whole film), it becomes a much different movie.

Arglebargle III posted:

What would you say if I told you blade runner is a better movie than alien?

What would you say if I told you gladiator is a remake of blade runner?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

One of the consistent themes of the movie is that so much of the dialog is lies or baseless speculation that you're best served ignoring every bit of exposition you're given. If you watch the movie with the understanding that everyone is full of poo poo except maybe the archeologists (who are constantly doubted and belittled through the whole film), it becomes a much different movie.

What would you say if I told you gladiator is a remake of blade runner?

I'd say you're a thrice reheated curry.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

temple posted:

The Prometheus crew is dumb. Its clear during a rewatch. However, the film misleads or fails to communicate that clearly. We are told the crew is competent. The crew as confident. And no one acknowledges they are dumb. After examination, we can see that they are dumb. I hold Scott accountable for being misleading or inarticulate in communicating the crew to us.

Who says the crew is competent, when, and in what context? What does confidence have to do with misleading the spectator about the probability that these space explorers will get killed by aliens?

It takes no examination to see that the characters in Prometheus are not in fact a qualified team of experts, but a cobbled-together exploration with a more insidious, clandestine purpose. That is straightforwardly exactly what happens in the movie.

This is not stand-up comedy. It's not about getting a joke. The punchline is the film itself. The grim hilarity is in a god getting skull-hosed to death by a giant squid vagina dentata. Examination comes in handy for noticing little eccentricities, like that the holographic map of the structure looks like a Christmas tree, complete with revolving red orbs and "presents" under it.

It is not a significant failing of a film or filmmaker if multiple viewings with more deliberate engagement allows you to appreciate it in new and exciting ways that may have been previously impossible because of prejudices based on marketing, generic expectations, etc.

edit:

also, LOOK AT THE GOD drat PUPPY THAT'S WHERE THIS MOVIE IS COMING FROM

This is what Scott is talking about when he seems to randomly drop that he likes Beavis & Butthead. The notion that he is approaching these films in order to expand on the iconic profundity of works that he already made is a fan creation. He really does just want to make balls out, absurd space monster movies. He's thinking of the gnarly ways he can have people killed the chuckling to himself wearing a Metallica t-shirt.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 9, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

K. Waste posted:

This is not stand-up comedy. It's not about getting a joke. The punchline is the film itself.

That's true. However, comedy has a premise. The premise has to be understood to understand the humor of the situation. The film depicts characters being undone but it is presented as horror. The tone isn't established in its premise. Guys being lost in a cave with deadly aliens is scary and there isn't enough humorous tone in establishing the guys or the situation. Thus, misunderstanding. In its entirety, the tone is better understood but in a scene to scene viewing, I can understand how that is lost.

K. Waste posted:

It is not a significant failing of a film or filmmaker if multiple viewings with more deliberate engagement allows you to appreciate it in new and exciting ways that may have been previously impossible because of prejudices based on marketing, generic expectations, etc.
This is a more competent filmmaker establishing tone clearly and early in the film. It uses the film medium effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8mQhxhE_Q

This is the wink.

If Prometheus was a book, it may be easier to establish the humor because the dialogue would be clearer. However, visually and in editing, Prometheus doesn't spell out the characters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

K. Waste posted:

multiple viewings with more deliberate engagement allows you to appreciate it in new and exciting ways

Okay, now that's funny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MajorB posted:

I see what you're getting at here, but I don't completely agree. David was "idle" in the sense that he was no longer bound to do the works for which he was created. Left to his own devices, he has done the work of Milton's devil.

I feel like a little of this revolves around the interpretation of Oram's line about seeing the Devil- you see Oram's devil as "some kind of pathological child-molestor or obvious nazi bad guy" instead of just being the "demon inside Oram [that] was already latent there." It's Oram's own doubts and misgivings that he tries so hard to compensate for, but that David has wholly embraced. These feelings are, of course, externalized as the xenomorph, which has no delusions about being anything but an eating-loving machine. In a way, Oram and Daniels are aspects of Shaw- Oram represents her obsession with counter-intuitively reconciling her idealized faith with reality, and Daniels represents her adaptability and desire for motherhood (being the terraforming expert, she is figuratively Mother Earth, even). Interesting that David's attempt at loving Oram is actually successful, where Daniels just gets an inept kiss. Hmm.

Well again, there's a level of self-awareness that you need to take into account. When he assaults Daniels - "is that how it's done?" - David knows full well that that this is not how it's done. The kiss is mocking - mocking Walter's chastity, and Daniels' burgeoning attraction to him. Shaw's fate is the illustrated subtext of Walter's unrequited love. Any 'clumsiness' is intentional because, "alas, he's left this vale of tears."

You should also be careful not to bring in assumptions from previous films. The creature that attacks Daniels and T doesn't do any eating or loving, and Shaw only appears as a collection of forensic evidence.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

K. Waste posted:

It takes no examination to see that the characters in Prometheus are not in fact a qualified team of experts, but a cobbled-together exploration with a more insidious, clandestine purpose. That is straightforwardly exactly what happens in the movie.

Space helmet bong hits are the act of a serious professional apparently.

Ridley Scott having a dude light up on the job was too subtle lolz.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 9, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Newt puts on a helmet for 3 seconds and survives the entire rest of the movie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

temple posted:

This is a more competent filmmaker establishing tone clearly and early in the film. It uses the film medium effectively.

This is the wink.

As much as I love Starship Troopers, both Prometheus and Covenant are the better movies.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Well again, there's a level of self-awareness that you need to take into account. When he assaults Daniels - "is that how it's done?" - David knows full well that that this is not how it's done. The kiss is mocking - mocking Walter's chastity, and Daniels' burgeoning attraction to him. Shaw's fate is the illustrated subtext of Walter's unrequited love. Any 'clumsiness' is intentional because, "alas, he's left this vale of tears."

This makes me interested in the upcoming deleted/extended scenes of Walter and Daniels together more.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well here's the major difference, there's accidents and being dumb and the characters in Prometheus (and Covenant, really) are just incredibly dumb. No, being a professional doesn't make you invulnerable but it does give you good sense of what's dangerous or not. Even with that information people still do stupid poo poo but these are things that make the characters in the film look like the idiots who scale skyscrapers and upload videos of them doing spins on the edge of the building with hoverboards or whatever. A biologist treats the giant white serpent as a loving puppy and it takes you right out. I personally don't care for characters like that in a sci-fi film where I expect a little more than gore fodder, especially for two films that are related to Alien and Aliens. Also some super lazy writing to just make drama happen, like Fifield not having any way to get tracking data to find his way out (he seriously has no way to get information from his Pups or have a basic waypoint system? lol gently caress you) or the idiot that manages to nuke the ship in the beginning of Covenant.

Also the Marines in Alien don't act stupidly, they're just a small group sent to deal with some poo poo that's completely out of their hands since they're bravado clearly shows that everything they've dealt with in their careers has been piss easy for them. They're also supposed to imitate US Vietnam troops, hence the short sleeved shirts, and they're even more well equipped than US troops were in Vietnam. They've got nearly full plate armor, automatic sentry guns, auto targetting Smart guns, nukes, knives and sharp sticks. You'd have a point if the squad breaks up into little groups and they send people in one by one to find the hive or some run away and try and survive on the planet's surface away from the colony. But they don't, they stay together and slowly die off because they're in over their heads.

Yeah, the humans screwing up is not a deal breaker in Alien films; even the first two films required Team Human to make a few mistakes. The problem with the crew of the good ship Prometheus is that the errors don't organically come from the type of people the characters have either been demonstrated to be or should logically be. Take bringing Kane aboard in Alien; obviously a mistake needed for the movie to work. But it makes perfect sense that a bunch of people panicking about their buddy, aided and abetted by somebody with a hidden malicious motive, would do it. And the movie uses that mistake for more than just pushing the plot forward; people react to it as a mistake (Ridley has a "why were you guys that dumb" interaction with Dallas and Ash) and it adds characterization since it foreshadowed Ash's betrayal and Dallas being the guy to risk his neck saving the crew. The main source of mistakes in Aliens mostly boil down to Gorman screwing up, and the movie has both taken the effort to establish him as green and keeps his mistakes at a reasonable level. It's "better make sure these people don't panic and nuke us all" (and it's entirely possible Vasquez and Drake disobeying him WAS what got the reactor to blow) not something like "hurr durr let's go unarmed to show we're friendly!". And again it uses the mistake for more than just the needs of the plot at the moment, people react to it in the film as a screwup (Vasquez tries to kill him, his little embarrassed moment with Ridley when he wakes up) and it adds resonance to his death later trying to save the person he hurt worst, who accepts him as a comrade at the end.

Prometheus on the other hand lacks the appropriate build-up or reaction to its screw ups. It's fine and dandy for them to have mistakes, but they don't feel earned. If they had spent more time selling Fifield and Milburn as less than gifted scientists it would have worked OK, but about the only thing beforehand they did (Fifield mapping the tunnels) sold the opposite message, and in fact had to be undone in an clumsy manner for the scene to work. If they had even toned the mistakes down, like Milburn is naturally curious enough to inspect the hammerpede but tries (and fails) to back off in time when threatened, or a better reason than "derp I can't use the map I just made!" for Fifield to get them lost, people probably wouldn't be bothered so much. But instead the characters come off as UNREALISTICALLY stupid and the whole thing feels like it happens just so we can see some gore. Which guts the horror of the movie since it pulls you out of the scene. Part of what makes Alien and Aliens such awesome movies to me is that the people feel reasonably competent for who they are. It adds tremendously to the horror when not only can you avoid feeling "these people are so dumb they practically deserve to get eaten" but outright see even being intelligent and careful can't save them. The Alien doesn't NEED its victims to be dumb to kill them, which makes it more menacing by default than a lot of horror.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
We actually are shown that Fifeld is a posturing coward, that Millburn likes to brazenly approach strange or hostile things (or people - Fifeld specifically), and that the Prometheus's spacesuits are actually really strong and dependable suits of armor.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

temple posted:

That's true. However, comedy has a premise. The premise has to be understood to understand the humor of the situation. The film depicts characters being undone but it is presented as horror. The tone isn't established in its premise. Guys being lost in a cave with deadly aliens is scary and there isn't enough humorous tone in establishing the guys or the situation. Thus, misunderstanding. In its entirety, the tone is better understood but in a scene to scene viewing, I can understand how that is lost.

This is the wink.

That is not a wink. That's Paul Verhoeven very accurately recreating contemporary '80s commercial culture and projecting it into a near future setting. Nobody is winking at you. You have simply watched the commercial-within-a-film and have found it amusing.

A wink would be something more like Peter Weyland's puppy. In and of itself, it would appear to have absolutely nothing to do with the setting, the characters, or the expository information. It's certainly not the subject of a 30-second sequence devoted to it entirely. But at the same time, it is also perfect characterization, of not only Weyland, but the crew. The puppy does not need to be there, its very presence is just a saccharine endorsement of Weyland's apparent naivety and innocence, and his calculated expectation that his audience will be suckered in and distracted by it. Indeed, this message from Weyland is functioning in the exact same way as the car commercial in RoboCop.

The obstacle you are having is in this notion of how a filmmaker goes about establishing tone, but in essence you've written yourself into a corner where, in order for the established humorousness and absurdity to be understood and enjoyed, it needs to be flamboyantly overt. I am arguing that you simply need to have taste. Many of the best horror movies are neither simply funny or scary. They often function equally well as both comedies and horrors, giving visceral release to inextricably linked states of shock and provocation. Horror and comedy as film genre are inextricably linked at their roots in trick cinema. Prometheus is cut from the same exact cloth as From Beyond.

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, now that's funny.

Welcome to the movie forum, where we watch movies, often more than once, and are pleased to discover new things about them to appreciate.

Here, have two more good shots from the TOTALLY SERIOUS MOVIE THAT DOESN'T ESTABLISH ITS TONE

Merry Christmas.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All the Marines in Aliens were super dumb

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Christmas is no joke you impious sack of apostates.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My go to reference whenever anyone talks about the Prometheus scientists being too dumb is Louis Slotin, who was one of the people at the Manhattan Project who put on an unnecessary and risky demonstration that ended up fatally irradiating him and most of the people in the room. Being smart does not mean you never do dumb things.

And there's a theme to the movie where the exhilaration of discovery and getting the answers makes people lose their heads a little. It's like Pandora opening the box, Icarus flying too close to the sun, etc. Classic tragedy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Only two people were fatally irradiated in the course of the Manhattan project and that was two separate incidents so it looks like the Prometheailures the REAL stupid characters once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

People who don't like Prometheus sure like to repeat the same poo poo over and over. Characters dumb.

We get it.