Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baronjutter posted:

My friend decided to get into larping or at least the armour side of things so ordered a chainmail kit from china. After a day handling the links for the chain his hands were covered in horrible blisters.
Do not buy metal objects from China, this includes crossbows to bridges.

Any metal from China, check it's not actually Nickel.

You can buy spot tests pretty cheaply and avoid really nasty rashes, blisters and burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://my.mixtape.moe/xnjlmn.mp4

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
While this thread progressed, I have finally finalised my wedding plans and have completed the rituals necessary to become a true traditional Chinese Husband.

I can't really explain much right now because I'm lying in bed half in the bag and have a plane to catch tomorrow early but traditional(esque) Chinese weddings are cool and good and sometimes in China this is ok. Things can be cool and good.

Take care goons. Will provide pics when I get them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

While this thread progressed, I have finally finalised my wedding plans and have completed the rituals necessary to become a true traditional Chinese Husband.

I can't really explain much right now because I'm lying in bed half in the bag and have a plane to catch tomorrow early but traditional(esque) Chinese weddings are cool and good and sometimes in China this is ok. Things can be cool and good.

Take care goons. Will provide pics when I get them.

All I need to know is if the lighting set up for your wedding was more "tv drama" or "late 80s hair metal concert"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What is Haier's job in China? I presume not ESL teaching.
I work for a book company. Do u know that a majority of Western book printing is done in China to save costs? Do u know that after Chinese printers send the orders to the Americas or Europe or Australia, they continue printing the books (illegally) for pure profit sales to the rest of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and maybe some poorer Central and South American countries?
Somehow Western book publishers are too dumb to realize their copyrighted products are being made behind their backs and sold at-cost to cool people like yours truly and his cool boss and her cool friends, and then we go online and sell them to people with a little fibbery involved.

Like, I was reading a small order of Calvin and Hobbes books a bit ago that we bought from the factory for about 80 cents USD each, and will sell for $8+ USD online as "used." Some books costs less or a little more, but it's easy make a bunch of profit off dumb nerd poo poo, novels, and kid's books. My boss always asks me if such and such books will sell to Americans, and she thought comic books were the answer. She ordered a shitload of Garfield and I laughed my rear end off for many days. My boss bought a bunch of houses doing this, and they are paid off. The stack of Garfield has not moved. She ordered some in French (or maybe it was Spanish, I forgot), and those are also not moving.

Anyway, you're getting shafted so hard if you buy physical books that cost super duper cheap on those huge runs and then sell for $20+ MSRP in book shops (though the super shaft is when Amazon sells Kindle books for $10+ USD, holy poo poo).

Ceciltron posted:

and have completed the rituals necessary to become a true traditional Chinese Husband.
So when are you introducing her to your mistress? Have you slapped or kicked her yet? How about pulling her hair? Did you grab her stomach and tell her she's as fat as a pig? Better yet, did you get a buzzcut or flat top hair cut? How are those striped polos fitting? You can use your flip flops as a weapon. Don't cute your toe nails or brush your teeth, and please, for the love of God, take up smoking immediately.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Haier posted:

Anyway, you're getting shafted so hard if you buy physical books that cost super duper cheap on those huge runs and then sell for $20+ MSRP in book shops (though the super shaft is when Amazon sells Kindle books for $10+ USD, holy poo poo).
Textbooks cost $200+ and then they sell the same copies in India for $20-$30 or something. By legitimate publishing companies with no shady stuff going on. The kindle textbooks are $100 or something dumb. When it comes to some companies, sometimes their digital books are only $20 off the physical.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

Textbooks cost $200+ and then they sell the same copies in India for $20-$30 or something. By legitimate publishing companies with no shady stuff going on. The kindle textbooks are $100 or something dumb. When it comes to some companies, sometimes their digital books are only $20 off the physical.
We don't sell textbooks, but that's a whole other racket that's some of the most ridiculous garbage. I totally forgot about those. LOL

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh man, I forgot. I had a 20km walk today and ate a bunch of good mostly-non-Chinese food and stopped at Chaoshan Girl's house. She had just gotten a massage at her local massage place (that's a real massage place, not a jerk-off room). She was telling me some dude came in thinking it was a handy salon and whipped his dick out while waiting to be served, and got himself ready with some slow stroking. He didn't realize that the people giving the massages are older men, and the only girl there is the receptionist. Her masseuse told her there's some dude playing five-finger bingo in the lobby, so they both went out to have a look. She said it was a bad and sad dick. I asked what they did to get rid of him and she said the just ignored him until he left.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Oh man, I forgot. I had a 20km walk today and ate a bunch of good mostly-non-Chinese food and stopped at Chaoshan Girl's house. She had just gotten a massage at her local massage place (that's a real massage place, not a jerk-off room). She was telling me some dude came in thinking it was a handy salon and whipped his dick out while waiting to be served, and got himself ready with some slow stroking. He didn't realize that the people giving the massages are older men, and the only girl there is the receptionist. Her masseuse told her there's some dude playing five-finger bingo in the lobby, so they both went out to have a look. She said it was a bad and sad dick. I asked what they did to get rid of him and she said the just ignored him until he left.

Goons.txt

does your boss like garfield?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

How accurate is this video? I am planning a vacation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Haier posted:

He didn't realize that the people giving the massages are older men, and the only girl there is the receptionist. Her masseuse told her there's some dude playing five-finger bingo in the lobby, so they both went out to have a look.

Hang on, how could there be a masseuse around if the massaging was done by men? Was the one who worked on her a transsexual who preferred to be viewed as female?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
He meant masseur. Gendered nouns are on their way out in English anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haier posted:

I work for a book company. Do u know that a majority of Western book printing is done in China to save costs? Do u know that after Chinese printers send the orders to the Americas or Europe or Australia, they continue printing the books (illegally) for pure profit sales to the rest of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and maybe some poorer Central and South American countries?
Somehow Western book publishers are too dumb to realize their copyrighted products are being made behind their backs and sold at-cost to cool people like yours truly and his cool boss and her cool friends, and then we go online and sell them to people with a little fibbery involved.

Like, I was reading a small order of Calvin and Hobbes books a bit ago that we bought from the factory for about 80 cents USD each, and will sell for $8+ USD online as "used." Some books costs less or a little more, but it's easy make a bunch of profit off dumb nerd poo poo, novels, and kid's books. My boss always asks me if such and such books will sell to Americans, and she thought comic books were the answer. She ordered a shitload of Garfield and I laughed my rear end off for many days. My boss bought a bunch of houses doing this, and they are paid off. The stack of Garfield has not moved. She ordered some in French (or maybe it was Spanish, I forgot), and those are also not moving.

So when are you introducing her to your mistress? Have you slapped or kicked her yet? How about pulling her hair? Did you grab her stomach and tell her she's as fat as a pig? Better yet, did you get a buzzcut or flat top hair cut? How are those striped polos fitting? You can use your flip flops as a weapon. Don't cute your toe nails or brush your teeth, and please, for the love of God, take up smoking immediately.

But Garfield is hilarious.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
Today's the closing ceremony at my school (even though Wednesday is the actual last day, sigh) and I'm going to be blasting the unsuspecting students with my bagpipes. Walking through the train station in my kilt and so far I've heard mothers explaining about the "Scotland skirt", a "wow" or two, and one guy pointed me out to his kid and said to his kid in English "Look at the beautiful man".

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what kind of an idiot goes to a handjob salon and starts himself off? You are paying not to do it yourself

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Kopijeger posted:

Hang on, how could there be a masseuse around if the massaging was done by men? Was the one who worked on her a transsexual who preferred to be viewed as female?

what a lovely god damned post

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Riptor posted:

what a lovely god damned post

To be fair this is the china thread....its poo poo all the way down....then its gutter oil.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

what kind of an idiot goes to a handjob salon and starts himself off? You are paying not to do it yourself

just lol if you aren't masturbating in EVERY store you go to.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Imperialist Dog posted:

one guy pointed me out to his kid and said to his kid in English "Look at the beautiful man".

nice

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so much face

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Haier posted:

Today at my early lunch I was listening to this episode of Beyond The Darkness:
https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Vengeful-Spirits-of-The-Witch-Prison

The story is this old rear end house used to be a jail for witches and bad English villagers, and a lot of people were tortured or died there. Now it's all haunted and messed up. They did some ouija board action and talked to a local dead shepherd who said he was just wandering by, and the one keeping all the ghosts in the house and area was that the jailer's ghost wouldn't let the dead depart.

Anyway, this got me thinking how bad it would be to be a foreigner ghost in China, having to hang out with angry dead Chinese ghosts. OMG.

But imagine how great foreign ghosts would be for the living Chinese. The Chinese ghosts would stare endlessly at the foreign ghosts all day, therefore, not haunting the living like they are supposed to.

Imagine if there were black ghosts. Total win for the living as all the Chinese ghosts would leave.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://alienblog.org/china-reveals-massive-alien-outpost-mining-facility-operating-moon/

quote:

The answer to these questions may be easier than first anticipated, but complex at the same time. Dr. Michael Salla has pointed out that there is a military industrial extraterrestrial complex (MIEC) on the surface of our ‘natural satellite’, and there’s a strong possibility of an alien regime currently operating on the moon in tandem with humans.

To support his claims and those of many others, the Chinese have released an intriguing photo of what appears to be an artificial complex operating on the lunar surface. The image represents yet another confirmation of secret operations carried out up there, and it may also reveal that the Chinese government has been in touch with otherworldly visitors. That, in turn, would also explain why China has been investing massively in radio telescopes.
Screwed up if true.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I expected to see a guy die under a ton of pillows/sacks. Where's the loving payoff.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Imperialist Dog posted:

Today's the closing ceremony at my school (even though Wednesday is the actual last day, sigh) and I'm going to be blasting the unsuspecting students with my bagpipes. Walking through the train station in my kilt and so far I've heard mothers explaining about the "Scotland skirt", a "wow" or two, and one guy pointed me out to his kid and said to his kid in English "Look at the beautiful man".

calqued 美(国)人? lol

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Speaking of metal from China

https://twitter.com/kittykhan/status/884299477258870785

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Imperialist Dog posted:

He meant masseur. Gendered nouns are on their way out in English anyway.

Huh, I learned a word today. Masseuse is the only one I've ever heard used in US English.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So I understand how water, produce, meat, etc can contain heavy metals in China but what's the deal with tons of manufactured poo poo containing lead? Is it a cost cutting thing where they use cheaper materials, lead being one of them, or is it because of old machinery that is falling apart? Or both? China loves the hell out of lead apparently.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
A group of about six late-teens-early-twenties boys are standing in a huddle on the train. Decked out in expensive shoes, name-brand clothes, and iPhone 7s their parents paid for, they obviously came from homes with money (and I guess everything that goes along with it, like better schools, opportunities, etc.). They're the loudest ones on the train, even though there quite a few people riding in that car. At their feet lies a massive, utterly disgusting puddle of spit. They had been standing in a circle and constantly spitting together the entire ride. It was so much spit that it started sliding along the floor in a trail.

I got off the train and realized I only had a few RMB on my card, not enough to pay for my ride. I went to put a 100 on the card and handed it to the customer service man with my money. He looks at me and then starts speaking in some dialect I have never heard. I say "what?" He repeats the phrase. I kinda know what I am hearing, but I don't know what he is saying. He holds up the card and my 100 bill and says something. I realize he's speaking Japanese. I said "yi bai" (100 in Mandarin), and he repeats what I said and puts the money on the card and then hands it back to me. I said "xie xie" and he said "daijoubu" (I don't know why he said this, but the last time I studied Japanese was about 13 years ago).
I wasn't sure if he was just having fun, or if he went on a hunch since some people everywhere ask if I am half-Asian due to my mom being Native American and her people tend to be kinda squinty.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
It's because you looked civilised

How wrong he was

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

It's because you looked civilised

How wrong he was

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.gokunming.com/en/blog/item/3888/interview_tracking_kunmings_trash_with_adam_liebman

quote:

The local government takes responsibility for garbage collection — processing, and disposal — and it also invests a lot of resources into public service messages which urge city residents to dispose of waste properly. However, it does very little, if any, waste sorting or what you probably think of as recycling.

Although the majority of garbage bins seen in public spaces have two sides — one for "recyclables" and the other for "non-recyclables" — and some residential areas even have four or more separate bins to ostensibly encourage waste sorting and recycling, there is no formal recycling system connected to these bins. When city sanitation workers come around to collect garbage, contents from all of the bins are dumped together.
Face face faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace. Face face f-f-f-f-faaaace.

EDIT:

quote:

The Kunming government has approved the construction of five incineration plants, which burn garbage to produce electricity, but also generate dioxins and highly toxic fly and bottom ash. The city's previous landfills are now closed and, according to the city, 100 percent of Kunming's garbage is incinerated. At this point, there is actually not enough garbage to satisfy the needs of all five incineration plants.

This is because the plants rely on garbage as a raw material to produce electricity, and only by selling electricity on the market — in addition to collecting a portion of the garbage fees paid by urban residents — will they be able to eventually recoup their investments and start making profits. This situation, in effect, puts the incineration coalition at odds with any attempts to promote recycling since successful recycling programs reduce the overall amount of garbage left for landfills and incinerators.
LMAO

EDIT 2:

quote:

In terms of income, it's highly variable. Some of the older pickers who work leisurely for no more than a few hours per day make just one or two yuan per day.
So those old people that are loving obnoxious and trying to steal the drink bottle out of your hands are making nothing from their labors. Kill the old.

Haier fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I always enjoy watching the recycling and trash bins emptied into the same filthy, reeking tricycle. That's why I save most of my recycling in separate bags and leave it out for the old/homeless people, then it gets turned into the actual recycling center and they get some cash.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Looked up the model number just to be sure and yup, it was made by a company in Zhejiang. The faucet was also certified by this company for use in Australian plumbing. I wonder if the affected people can go after that compliance company for rubber stamping a bullshit certification.

Dr.Radical posted:

So I understand how water, produce, meat, etc can contain heavy metals in China but what's the deal with tons of manufactured poo poo containing lead? Is it a cost cutting thing where they use cheaper materials, lead being one of them, or is it because of old machinery that is falling apart? Or both? China loves the hell out of lead apparently.

In regard to plumbing, brass is used in the majority of faucet fixtures because of its durability and resistance to both hard water calcification and soft water corrosion. These faucet parts are often cast and lead is added in small amounts to the brass alloy to make the final product easier to machine and finish for the manufacturer. Lead also makes babies retarded so you have to either minimize the amount of lead used in the brass alloy or use an aging technique to pre-leach the lead from the finished faucet parts before use.

Someone at the factory likely substituted a cheaper brass alloy with higher lead content after the original product passed certification tests. chabuduo :shrug:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Haier posted:

Face face faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace. Face face f-f-f-f-faaaace.

Dude quoting stories about Kunming and Yunnan in general is just like cheating. I mean look at this poo poo:
Amazing Chinese industrial speed

quote:

Railway workers and engineers laboring under extreme conditions in western Yunnan are engaged in what appears to be Sisyphean toil. The construction crew is tasked with boring through a mountain range to clear the way for a new railway line to Myanmar. However, they have reportedly spent 26 months making just 156 meters of progress, setting the overall project back immensely.

The railroad builders are one part of larger 25.7 billion yuan (US$3.8 billion) effort to connect the cities of Dali(大理) and Ruili (瑞丽). The team has met monstrous obstacles while burrowing under a peak in the Hengduan Range called Dazhu Mountain (大柱山). A combination of complicated geological formations, previously unknown underground rivers and difficulties with properly ventilating the passage have all hindered progress.

It's like I went from South Carolina to the South Carolina of China what the gently caress.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 10, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Amergin posted:

Dude quoting stories about Kunming and Yunnan in general is just like cheating. I mean look at this poo poo:
Amazing Chinese industrial speed

It's like I went from South Carolina to the South Carolina of China what the gently caress.

Chinese Dwarf Fortress looking good.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

big time bisexual posted:

In regard to plumbing, brass is used in the majority of faucet fixtures because of its durability and resistance to both hard water calcification and soft water corrosion. These faucet parts are often cast and lead is added in small amounts to the brass alloy to make the final product easier to machine and finish for the manufacturer. Lead also makes babies retarded so you have to either minimize the amount of lead used in the brass alloy or use an aging technique to pre-leach the lead from the finished faucet parts before use.

Someone at the factory likely substituted a cheaper brass alloy with higher lead content after the original product passed certification tests. chabuduo :shrug:

That makes total sense. But like what about loving baby formula or whatever?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Dr.Radical posted:

Well, if you do leach all the lead out of the brass, you're not just going to throw it away are you?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Powder looked and apparently tasted the same while being lots cheaper. And also cancerous!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr.Radical posted:

Melamine powder.

White lead powder.

Add some extra sugar and a bit more corn starch, and you have some great looking baby formula. Like everything in China and Chinese culture, as long as anything looks the part or says it is, then it is. You can't question it.

EDIT: If those babies hadn't died or gotten sick, nobody would have known anything. The major backlash from this is that I haven't met a single person who trusts Chinese-made baby formula or powdered milk, and whenever anyone here goes to Hong Kong or abroad they are pestered with requests to buy formula, even if it's all made in the same Chinese factories. Like, take out a tit and feed your loving kid, and stop starving yourself on purpose so you can do so.

EDIT 2: I don't even tell people I go to Hong Kong anymore, because I know someone is going to ask me to get their stupid formula, an then be shocked as gently caress when I don't, because they expect me to blindly follow their orders like all their other friends do.

Haier fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Dr.Radical posted:

The baby formula needs to have some amount of protein in it. Protein is expensive, so some companies in China found that melamine could fool the tests used to measure the protein content. What I wonder about the whole thing was how long it was going on before it started killing people. Did the companies start with just a little to save some money, but kept going higher and higher until they started destroying people's kidneys? There could be a lot of people out there with unknown kidney damage lurking in them.

• Locked thread