Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I can't think about the future. I'm regularly asked about where I see myself in 5 years or whatever and I'm unable to do it. I can think of it in terms of close future events like I need to buy a family member a birthday present or go to a wedding but long term how do I see my life going just doesn't happen and when asked I blank. I have a job I like that is safe and I like everyone I work with but this is a lack of ambition and that isn't good apparently. Even my parents have commented they're worried about my lack of ambition.

I guess to go with this I'm really not bothered about if or when I die. I think about it a bit despite the fact I don't intend to kill myself but it would be a lot easier for me at least.

There's not really anything wrong with being an in-the-moment person, I don't think :shrug:

quote:

A year ago I fell pretty madly in love with a lady, and then we broke up. As a parting gift she left me a weird topical yeast infection that proceeded to go apeshit on various parts of my body. A swift visit to the doctor and some prescription cream and huzzah! We be fixed.

Except I deliberately let the infection flourish on my taint, because I really enjoy scratching it. I always go to the bathroom to do so, and always wash my hands before and after, and it feels soooooooo good. I can cum just from letting it get a good head of itch up then giving it a good going over.

ALSO, AS A BONUS:

I have a weird scar on the back of my neck, a kinda T-shaped thing that's pretty big and ragged looking. I tell people it's from falling off my bike and hitting a fencepost. It is not.

Actually about 10 years ago I dated a woman who had major, MAJOR rape fantasies. Never happier than when she was bound, gagged and forcibly sodomised. So one time she's house-sitting for her mother who stayed in a little English village for 3 weeks, and I was coming down to join her on week 2 cause I couldn't get off work. The week I'm up here in frozen Ecosse she keeps emailing and texting me little snippets and basically saying she wanted me to home invade and torture her. So we agree, and on the day of I do. I hustle her up to the bed, tie her down, blindfold her, gag and and am just getting into the swing of things when one of her mother's neighbours, who saw an unfamiliar hairy Scots dude burst into the house containing a single pretty young woman, bashes me upside the head with a shovel. A confused five minutes ensued, with this badass little 67 year old woman demanding that I stay down and my very confused girlfriend going into hysterics because she had no idea what was going on. Eventually the badass neighbour woman untied her and all became clear, and a loving mortifying trip to A&E ensued.

So yeah, that's my neck scar. Whupped on by a hero neighbour while gettin' kinky. Not really ashamed, but that poo poo sounds like a rejected sitcom premise and getting fuckin' owned by a tiny old lady is not my finest moment.

bonus both longer and better than main confession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

quote:
I'm currently part of the ensemble cast on a relatively popular TV show. Not Walking Dead big, but it's a hell of a good gig and would ensure convention appearances and autograph signings to live on for decades after the show ends.

I was also recently caught masturbating with a female co-star's high heels. So yeah, probably gonna get fired. Currently on break for the holidays but I expect bad news when we start shooting again in January. Still kind of worth it, her footgame is amazing.

From back in December. Didn't know TJ Miller was a goon. Not surprised though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Weltlich posted:

wait, that was a real thing :eyepop:

I am flabbergasted

quote:

I'm the one who bought all the Giada avatars to people who posted in that food network thread. There isn't really a joke to it, I just thought it would bother people who had less money to blow than I do.

I don't know if I've noticed that this was a thing, but Giada is hot and if there's a foodie-related reason to not like her I don't know what it is so I'm ok with it

quote:

I inadvertently helped a fugitive not too long ago. They approached me at a gas station begging me for a ride. He told me a sob story about how his car broke down and he really needs to make it home because his son is there alone, that kind of thing. He seemed nice and genuine enough so I did and drove him about 30 miles to some rural area and dropped him off. As he was getting out he mentioned it was his kid's birthday soon and especially with the upcoming car repair cost he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get him a present. He asked for only 20 dollars but I was feeling bad and wanted to help especially since a kid was involved so I gave him all the money I had (just over 100 dollars).

I saw him again on the news announcing he was caught a couple weeks after this. I didn't tell the police or anything because I thought I'd get in trouble and he was caught anyway, so what'd the point be? I didn't feel too bad since it wasn't a violent crime (grand theft, he robbed the electronics store he worked for), but in hindsight I'm facepalming at my former naivete. He could have easily been a murderer or rapist on the run. Needless to say I don't give rides to strangers anymore no matter how good their story is. I'll let you use my phone to call a cab or tow truck or something, but I'm not risking letting you in and potentially sending me to prison.

If it helps, he might not have committed the robbery yet at the time. He might not have been "on the run," he might have just wanted to scam a free ride and some pocket money off you. This is a really common grift, and the kind of person who'd run it could probably also rob a store.

Someone asked me for money for gas at a rest stop once; I offered to instead help him push his car to a pump and fill it up for him, and he changed his mind and said he didn't need help after all

fake-edit: wait I wanna change my story. I said "yup, what a concept, I could use a little fuel myself, and we could all use a little chaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE" and he just kinda left

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Weltlich posted:

I'm glad someone reminded the thread of this. I probably wouldn't have believed it if it weren't for his exceptionally strange interview on Larry King's show.

TJ, please reveal yourself to the thread. Also paging WWE goon

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Someone never stopped shooting

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Weltlich posted:

Lmao, holy gently caress I thought that last episode was weird as gently caress

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It makes a ton of sense! Though why he chose The Walking Dead instead of something HBO related is weird. I just figured they were pretending to be someone on Better Call Saul.

edit:
Oh no! Could it be Michael McKean?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there ANYTHING out there to back this tj miller thing up, aside from coincidence?

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It makes a ton of sense! Though why he chose The Walking Dead instead of something HBO related is weird. I just figured they were pretending to be someone on Better Call Saul.

edit:
Oh no! Could it be Michael McKean?!

Thanks for the mental picture of Chuck McGill nuttin' in Kim's shoes. :barf:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Mutie skull house goon, you might be able to spin it into some real times money, or more likely at least break even. Weave up a story about how difficult it was to renovate, you had to do some renovations twice, spirits of the mutant dead, incest hell clan, what happened to the final owner, etc. Somebody has more money than sense and is hosed up enough to want to buy that house. Hell, wreck up your renovations on it it might make it all more believable.

Gaslit goon, i'd say be prepared to :sever: man. There's a good chance that she actually literally believes the reality she creates and that's just a toxic, bad scene.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Or you could just try writing poo poo down together or texting or emailing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, quit having normal conversations with your girlfriend. Only use written communication. This is a normal way to address the problem.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
just lol if you talk to your girlfriend at all

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I let my dick do the talking.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can someone repost the get beefy story, thanks

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

Short conversations, eh? And you don't get too deeply into anything?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I mean for actual decisions. Obviously you would still chat, but if this is an issue you're trying to figure out, it wouldn't kill him to text "looking forward to seeing you tomorrow at 7 at Joe's" or for her to email the grocery list or whatever. It's a weird enough situation that I understand wanting to figure out what the gently caress is happening rather than just ending it immediately.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My memory is terrible enough that if there's anything even remotely important, like a subway order that I should have memorized, I get my wife to send me a message over fb messenger, just so I have it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

therattle posted:

Short conversations, eh? And you don't get too deeply into anything?

Mostly just talks to himself.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
everything is in my outlook calendar :/

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

RCarr posted:

:thurman:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Some time ago i was seized by a sudden desperate need to reduce my weigth.
Do you know the picture"scream" by Munch? That`s how i felt when i looked myself in the mirror. Weighing in at 265 lbs and 5.9 feet is not a great feeling. It was like waking up from a haze. My diet for several years have been mostly microwawe dinners, chips and sodas. Sometimes i would vary things by eating a tub of ice cream all by myself in a single nigth ( Netflix and chill: fatso version). I also like to get drunk in the weekends. Which is normally fine, but if you do it every weekend it`s a issue. People like to say overeaters like me have mental issues. But i had a good childhood. I have a safe if boring job and financial security. People commend my work.
Not many friends but not friendless.

My fatness is not a sign of a deeper illness, it is the illness. No the real reason i am a overeater is that i am simply extremely hungry all the time. I could eat a dinner for four by myself and feel peckish after a hour. A sinkhole trying to eat itself, the more earth falls in the more the hole widens. That was me.

My confession is that i haven`t eaten anything expect soup at lunch ( to avoid questions from co-workers) for over a month. No cigarettes or alcohol either. I have tried losing weigth the normal way before but i always gave up after a few days. This is the first time i have made som real progress. I dont even feel much hunger anymore. Seeing or smelling food disgusts me rigth now. I am like the alcoholic who if he has just a single beer will end up drinking up the money for his children`s food and clothes. Who will drink himself into the gutter he used to piss in. Too bad you can`t actually teetotal on food for life. But i was killing myself with food anyway. Migth as well go on so long as i am able. Don`t worry thread i still have plenty of lard left to burn. I am not in any danger of starving to death.

Yeah this is not a good way to lose weight

If your body's in starvation mode (which it is) it will balloon right back up the instant you start eating like a normal person again and I think it'll stay that way.

You absolutely can get "used" to eating too much as well, which is why you were so hungry all the time before, but this is not a good response.

quote:

I'm pretty sure I'm a sociopath. Somehow. I don't really know how that happened.

My dad is a narcissistic dickhead who supported my mom growing up, kind of. He nickel and dimed her out of a lot of child support and tried to min/max the expenses necessary to gain our favor but ultimately never supported us in a meaningful manner. I was diagnosed aspergers and with dysgraphia as a kid. Seems pretty contradictory with that opening statement I guess. I was in gifted programs but did pretty poor in school because I was easily years ahead of my peers and the material I was being taught but still have extreme difficulty writing things on paper. It's a catch 22, because you can't skip a grade if you're doing poorly even though you're reading the lord of the rings in the third grade. Nobody really invested the time to go out of their way to help me and I kind of just got kicked around by authority figures, my peers, and my siblings until high school. My mom tried her best but she was working two jobs and 'tried to do what everyone said was right' which is always wrong, come to find out.

Something clicked in high school though. I got social skills. Really good social skills. I was able to charm people, and gain their favor. The rush of having people look up to you as cool was completely irresistible and I became voracious for social validation. I never trusted anyone, though, probably because of my prior experiences. I had a couple friends but i didn't really like them, honestly. We just had a lot of common interests. I never talked to them again after high school ended.

In college I don't even know where my own identity ended and the fake personalities I put on to gain people's favor began. I could fit in anywhere, and with anyone. I could easily gain a basic understanding of anything I put my mind to, and it made me realize that almost everyone lacks a basic understanding of the thing they center their entire identity around. I would realize this, get bored, find a new group of people, and then realize that my half assed efforts to gain validation put me above the level of understanding of anyone but one or two other people who were just as manipulative as me - but had focused their efforts on that thing specifically. I knew I was a fraud and hated most of what i was doing - but so was almost everyone else, except without the self awareness to even realize it. The few people that strayed away from me, which confused me, I now know were the people who saw through the manufactured visage and knew to steer clear away

I dropped out of college because I started taking antidepressants which completely destroyed me. The physical and mental side effects completely ruined my ability to think and function. I know this is some dumb line out of american psycho but poo poo, i don't really know what emerged from that cocoon. I'm like some kind of rainman when it comes to seeing through artifice and manipulating people, but don't even bother with that anymore. It's too much effort to play puppetmaster, and people following you and looking up to you are a constant drain on your energy. I don't desire validation from people anymore because there were never any fruits of that labor. Hell, I don't even know what I desire anymore. I'm underemployed and barely comfortable because even though I know the rules of the game intimately - I refuse to play it anymore. I just keep to myself and try and focus on the things I know I enjoy, and maybe I'll find success on my own terms.

I've seen the farce for what it is and it kind of disgusts me, but not more than knowing that the way I acted was not only successful, but desirable.

:therapy: bro

It doesn't sound like psych drugs are for you but you should still try to work on yourself without them because you're not happy

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Starvation mode isn't real

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Still should be doing some exercise and getting more protein, May want to take a multi vitamin as well if you're just gonna stick with that diet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Extreme diet goon, congrats on seeing your problem and making the effort. That is way more than others do. However, I agree, fasting, which is essentially what you do, doesn't work, you will add the weight back on in no time. Since you already have the will to slim down, get the knowledge to do it right. Speak to a nutritional expert.
Generally speaking, you need to make sure your daily intake covers at least your base requirement in terms of calories so you can function normally. For an office worker that's about 2000 I think but check that.

Your stomach als needs to get used to smaller portions, then your will be less hungry overall. And cut out the soda. Water with a splash of lemon juice for flavour if you want and tea without sugar are your best friends.

Anyway get the professional help you need and check whether your health insurance offers support, some do. Don't be afraid to get help, be proud that you tackle your problem.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look at all these leftist new age medicine diet advice givers. Congrats on your soup cut bro, seems like it's working.

The body does not "go into starvation mode" and "balloon back up" as soon as you start eating. Yea, there's some minor differences between people/ages/genders as far as base metabolic rate but they are not significant, not really and definitely not over a reasonable period of time. (e.g. if you're sick or something you might have a much higher base rate just because you're sick or whatever, but it'll go back to average once you are not sick, or near 0 if you die lol)

Your body mass (how fat you are) will entirely depend on your diet and there is no magic to it. If you want to absolutely control it then control everything you eat, measure it by the gram/oz/stone/cumweight, and calculate the nutritional content. This is a lot easier than it sounds but also you will be socially rejected if weak baby people see you doing this because it will make everyone who's not doing it feel fat and weak (they are).

Or you can be some kinda spooky soul cooking person that bases all their health decisions on their feels and making sure not to fat shame or something, but everyone who does that ends up like one of those half fat people who aren't fat or skinny and have weak arms.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

The body does not "go into starvation mode" and "balloon back up" as soon as you start eating. Yea, there's some minor differences between people/ages/genders as far as base metabolic rate but they are not significant, not really and definitely not over a reasonable period of time. (e.g. if you're sick or something you might have a much higher base rate just because you're sick or whatever, but it'll go back to average once you are not sick, or near 0 if you die lol)

Those people on the Biggest Loser end up with base metabolisms that are like 500 calories/day lower than they started with. But I dunno if they've done any studies on regular fat people (not 400+-pounders like that show), so I dunno if that holds.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Fatgoon: try keto. Worked wonders for me and a load of my friends and family in shedding weight. Once you get to where you need to be start reintroducing carbs slowly and from there on portion control and having your stomach adjust to it should help you keep a stable weight.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just plain dunno what to say to anyone who interprets "hey maybe don't eat literally nothing for a month" as "health at every size"

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Those people on the Biggest Loser end up with base metabolisms that are like 500 calories/day lower than they started with. But I dunno if they've done any studies on regular fat people (not 400+-pounders like that show), so I dunno if that holds.

If they lose 50+ lbs, that'd sounds somewhat sensible. Don't need to expend calories to maintain fat that isn't there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I recommend the Keto diet. It's basically low carb, but it's not anything crazy like "ALL MEAT AND CHEESE ALL DAY EVERY DAY", doing it properly means balancing, as it should be.

But you pretty much cut out bread and sugar. And then you feel INCREDIBLE (after the first week).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My dad lost a bunch of weight on the South Beach diet back when that was a new thing and he's mostly kept it off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i reckon its probably possible to make 4 400 calorie sandwioches and eat those a day and get what you need. insanely boring but easy and you won't be hungry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The goon who was in a child pornography ring when he was little posted a followup

quote:

I meant that talking to someone about it was the next best thing, not sending in a fesh specifically. I know that being in a crowd of pissbitches and Kanes and Gohans and Fake Doobies is definitely not going to be the best thing for my (or anyone's) mental health. A lot of the therapy that I've gotten over the years was the advisement to tell people about what happened to me and see their reactions - mostly to prove to myself that I'm not going to be considered some sort of weird monster because something hosed up happened to me. Considering nobody in-thread called me a human being, I'd say it worked out.

Anyways, I came to the thread for advice, and I got some. I don't go to E/N and had no idea that there was a similar thread there, so I'll check that out and hope for the best. Thank you.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, child sex ring goon, you seem to be handling your whole situation better than just regular goons that have to deal with a 30 minute downtime of Diablo 3.
Hey man, Diablo 3 is some serious business. :P

Alright, well then, glad we could help :) Nobody should have to go through what you went through, but you're not a broken person.

quote:

I hate my job and I see no prospect of getting out of it.

I graduated college four years ago with a degree I didn't particularly like for a field that was super oversaturated, I ended up landing a job in an adjacent field about a month after I graduated and have been stuck in it since. After about a year I bought a place to live and then six months later there was a pretty large shift in my department and I realised I didn't like this job or the direction my department was headed.

I've now been applying for jobs in a different field for two and a half years and not gotten a single interview. The economy here has been really bad but still it's been demoralising to the point where I can barely apply for a job anymore much less look for one. I am pretty miserable and convinced that I'm just stuck with this job for life, anybody I talk to and say my job title has no loving idea what I do and my company refuses to give out a letter of reference. Moving up doesn't seem to be an option either as my manager changes the reason I didn't get a title promotion every three months with no prior warning and has basically blown off any enquiries I've made about switching departments. The whole situation just seems hopeless bar taking a huge hit selling the place I own and moving back in with my parents to learn a trade or something, I really just want another entry level position doing something different for a bit less pay that I can work my way up without completely starting my life from scratch but it just seems absolutely impossible. I drink way too much now and have to a large extent isolated myself from my old social circles, I know I can't keep this up forever but it also seems absolutely pointless sending out resumes at this point.

Corporate bullshit will chew you up and spit you out if you let it, man.

Really it seems like picking up stakes and moving away might be your best bet, but I can fully understand how that might feel intimidating. Focus on how good your new life could be and try to take some motivation from that.

necroid
May 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

I'm known among my friends as the guy who loves music and always goes to shows.

I do this because I haven't had any purpose or motivation since I graduated college and feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I've shied away from a ton of risks because I'm terrified of failure, and now I'm terrified I became a failure because of it.

I'm 26, employed, own my own car, see friends every weekend and, other than some health issues, am doing decently, on an objective level. Thing is, I hate myself with a burning passion.

I've had serious depression since middle school (first suicide attempt, though half-assed, was at 13). My parents never got me help; my sister was such a mess that they focused all their attention on her and figured if I was doing OK in school they were doing a good job. So I'm basically stoic and unemotional until the dam breaks.

Never told me word one about sex either so I had to teach myself, and I went to about the wrongest places possible, so I'm a virgin and a coward despite everyone in my life telling me I'm a catch. (Could be the furry porn talking - remember, I said wrongest places possible.) I also have huge confidence issues to the point where my base reaction to any compliment or attention is self-deprecation or sarcastic rebuttal.

Ends up I've been going to so many shows so I'd have something to look forward to when I fell back into contemplating suicide. I have a few laid out through December, but the depression has been getting a lot worse. I'm trying to get therapy but despite the fact I joined the work health plan almost a month ago, they still won't give me my info.

So I wait. I'm trying to get better but the demons aren't that far away.

it sucks but it's no excuse for being a virgin get real beefy bitch

loquacius posted:

I'll preface this with the fact that I'm older than the average poster here by a decent margin, and live in a town that would probably be categorized as "somewhat rednecky" in West Texas. Hard to imagine, I know, but bear with me.

I have been going to a local bar now for several years, like twice a month or so on Fridays or Saturdays. It's not a great place, but its inexpensive and the people are generally good folks. I'm a semi-regular, and have been hanging out with the same group of guys for a couple years now. Mostly King of the Hill types.

Last weekend, one of the guys I know only kind of well was in the bathroom when I came in to piss. There's two doors to get into the restroom, so normally you'd hear someone coming in, but that night the outside door was propped open for whatever reason and Dan didn't know someone was coming until I stepped in.

Long story short, he was adjusting his panties. And by panties, I mean red thonged woman's panties. He just looked down, finished adjusting, and walked out without making eye contact. It was as unlikely a thing as I've ever seen - Dan is solidly working-class, and almost a caricature of a West-Texas guy. Always good-natured, and I've never heard him say anything offensive about anyone, but you'd assume pretty conservative values to look at him.

I got back to the bar and he was pretty quiet. After a while, the crowd thinned out a bit and he came over and sat next to me at the bar. Still without saying anything or even looking at me. I had no idea what to say, if anything. Had he not finally brought it up, I would've just gone on like nothing had happened. I kinda felt bad for his predicament.

It was getting late and were both a little tanked. Once the bartender was out of earshot, he leaned in and said "I've been doing that for a while now, for no other reason than I just like it. I like how it feels. You know though, that if the bar finds out, I can't come back here". He didn't sound troubled by it, but more like he was glad to get it off his chest. I imagine that would be something of a relief.

I told him that he didn't have to worry about me - that I didn't have any moral or ethical problem with the idea, and that it seemed pretty harmless in fact. I also told him that I understood the importance of keeping my mouth shut, and that I also had the ability to. Those can be two separate things. He seemed ok with that and that seemed to be the end of it. No harm no foul.

Later, after closing time, we were in the parking lot just shooting the poo poo like normal, and he says "Just so you know, I love sucking cock". Just like that, just puts it out there. gently caress. Imagine basically Hank Hill tossing that out. I said Something along the lines of "Uh...ok...see ya next weekend" and left.

That was his confession. Mine is that I'll be damned if I haven't been thinking about Dan sucking my dick all this week. If that's what he meant by telling me. I don't even know.

lol

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Everyone needs to get hella beefy

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Your base rate does drop when your heart isn't struggling to pump blood through 300lbs of lard.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

soy posted:

Your base rate does drop when your heart isn't struggling to pump blood through 300lbs of lard.

Solution: stay a fat gently caress and boast about your resting metabolic rate.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm moderately disabled. It's ugly (people stare when it's visible) and it does limit me in some things but I'm not in a wheelchair and I can do most of the stuff normal people can.

I started dating late but I even had relative success. However I find it harder now that I'm older (most of my friends are married) and the disability also progressed. I'm looking into online dating and I have a question for goons. Should I show it in photos?

It's easy to hide with clothes or by picking an angle that doesn't show it, but I thought I should post a revealing photo. Nobody wants unpleasant surprises, right? I had a tinder date a few months ago with an attractive woman and she noticed that something's not right with my body but she probably thought it was impolite to ask about it. And I didn't feel like bringing it up. The date went nowhere and afterwards I started thinking about using more honest photos.

OTOH a friend is telling me that everybody 'cheats' in those photos - bald people wear hats, fat people don't show bodies, those with poor teeth don't post huge smiles, everybody uses old photos, etc. And that I shouldn't treat myself differently.

What do you think, goons?

I can see both sides of this one, honestly. I think if I found out by surprise that someone I was dating had a visible disability of some sort I'd feel lied to, but also I'm imagining being told "uh exCUSE me but this date is under false pretenses because I was not aware you were a BROKEN HALF-PERSON" and the person saying that comes off as a total tool

I dunno, I say don't take a Horrible Injury Selfie or whatever, but do mention it after you start talking to someone but before you go on a date with them, so they don't feel "tricked".

quote:

I have some very close friends who are trans. They are some of the closest friends I've ever had. I support them, and I'll do anything for them.

My confession is that I just don't buy into the vast majority of current gender politics. I hate the special pronouns. I'm totally fine with gender fluidity, but at the same time I think that the internal plumbing are what they are, and there's only so far you can go. I've seen this cause so much weird trauma in the LBGQT community, and in my mind it's really simple. I feel like problems are created where there are none, or they are being misdirected. I know people who are male presenting as male or vice versa who say that they are not gender binary, basically because they don't like sports 'n' cars or girly girl things. Clothes, makeup, and interests don't make the gender.

To me gender is either biological male or female, and the rest is just hosed up society poo poo, and the LBGQT community just makes it more complex than it really is. I just like people who are great people and don't worry about the other stuff. I've softened my stance over time, but it still bugs me sometimes.

I also believe people should live in a way that makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, so I don't say anything.

This issue is kind of a live grenade on the Internet in general and I'm too tired today to really articulate myself well so I'll just leave it at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The ol' "Some of my best friends are (minority)s, so I know that (incredibly bigoted shitscreed)!" :jerkbag: At least it's less douchey than it usually is but still lol at "I also believe people should live in a way that makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, so I don't say anything." while he's saying stuff about it, but only anonymously