Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Leofish posted:

Do Gaia or Animals screw up what's his nuts on the magic side of fork tower?

No and no.

(Someone post that art of Rugwizard saying gtfo to !Gaia.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leofish posted:

Do Gaia or Animals screw up what's his nuts on the magic side of fork tower?
Kyrosiris: THIS poo poo AIN'T MAGIC (and will trigger React: Physical scripts): Item, Fight, Kick, Focus, Steal, Mug, Lance, Jump, Throw, Mineuchi, Zeninage, Animals, Aim, Rapid Fire, Call, Check, Scan, Release, Mix, Gaia, and Dance.

Summary: condolences, friend.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bregor posted:

(Someone post that art of Rugwizard saying gtfo to !Gaia.)

Basically, unless you have a way of preventing Omniscient from casting spells (Mute, Berserk) or run him out of MP (ahahahaha good loving luck, takes about five times longer than Quickleaking Omega), the only jobs that are "allowed" to fight the rugwizard are:

Red Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Blue Mage, White Mage (technically, though they need to Berserk him in order to kill him on their own)

That's it, no exceptions. Mobile I think made it so he even casts Return when Berserked, making it even more impossible or unfun.

EDIT: That said, the only things you're missing without one of the above options are a second Aegis Shield, the Titan Axe, and the Artemis Bow. The rest of the treasures in the other two tablet dungeons are either buyable (Flame Ring), redundant (if you needed Reflect Rings you did grinding in Barrier Tower), or trash garbage (Protect Ring, Kaiser Knucks)

Two zerks can get by just fine with the Rune Axe and Thor Hammer, and a Ranger is fine with the Yoichi Bow or !Rapidfire Chickens. If you want a second Aegis, just Thief Knife some Gorkimeras at the bottom of the Rift.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 8, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

KataraniSword posted:

Basically, unless you have a way of preventing Omniscient from casting spells (Mute, Berserk) or run him out of MP (ahahahaha good loving luck, takes about five times longer than Quickleaking Omega), the only jobs that are "allowed" to fight the rugwizard are:

Red Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Blue Mage, White Mage (technically, though they need to Berserk him in order to kill him on their own)

That's it, no exceptions. Mobile I think made it so he even casts Return when Berserked, making it even more impossible or unfun.

EDIT: That said, the only things you're missing without one of the above options are a second Aegis Shield, the Titan Axe, and the Artemis Bow. The rest of the treasures in the other two tablet dungeons are either buyable (Flame Ring), redundant (if you needed Reflect Rings you did grinding in Barrier Tower), or trash garbage (Protect Ring, Kaiser Knucks)

Two zerks can get by just fine with the Rune Axe and Thor Hammer, and a Ranger is fine with the Yoichi Bow or !Rapidfire Chickens. If you want a second Aegis, just Thief Knife some Gorkimeras at the bottom of the Rift.

Okay, that makes sense, thanks. I actually have 5 reflect rings because I got a double drop from one group, so I'm covered there. For the life of me, I couldn't remember if I had to do the tower or not, but if I can skip it, since I have no need for Holy or Flare then I may as well.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Leofish posted:

Okay, that makes sense, thanks. I actually have 5 reflect rings because I got a double drop from one group, so I'm covered there. For the life of me, I couldn't remember if I had to do the tower or not, but if I can skip it, since I have no need for Holy or Flare then I may as well.

I usually do it if I have two shield users, since you can snag a second Aegis from Istory Falls and you need the sub after Fork Tower to get there.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Bregor posted:

I usually do it if I have two shield users, since you can snag a second Aegis from Istory Falls and you need the sub after Fork Tower to get there.

Pretty much the only instances where you need to do fork tower are this, if you have a time mage, or if you have a summoner. (or of course if you want holy or flare)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Note that just about any team combination can kill Omniscient using the Reflect Ring + Mage Masher trick. It's a bit annoying, but far more convenient than running him out of MP.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CapitalistPig posted:

Pretty much the only instances where you need to do fork tower are this, if you have a time mage, or if you have a summoner. (or of course if you want holy or flare)

You don't even need to do it with Summoner. Leviathan is trash because no equipment boosts Water damage, and every other summon is available as soon as you get the airship (or Black Chocobo, for Bahamut/Phoenix). Similar with Black Mages and Flare - unless a boss is immune to all elements, a rod-boosted -aga will generally do more damage, for cheaper, than Flare.

Time Mage needs Fork Tower, but Time Mage also has hasted/quicked Comets to do the job. It's messy and ineffective, but it works. White Mage needs Fork Tower, but Berserk/Blink means they can take a physical class along to do the lifting. Mystic Knight wants Fork Tower but gets Silence Spellblade and laughs at the idea of gimmicks.

Basically, the only times you'd need to do Fork Tower with a team that can't generally trivialize it (in other words, the only time you'd fall back on Reflect Ring tricks) are if you want that second free Aegis or if you're against mods/cheats and need to unlock Mime for a Pure Chaos run.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2017

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

KataraniSword posted:

You don't even need to do it with Summoner. Leviathan is trash because no equipment boosts Water damage, and every other summon is available as soon as you get the airship (or Black Chocobo, for Bahamut/Phoenix). Similar with Black Mages and Flare - unless a boss is immune to all elements, a rod-boosted -aga will generally do more damage, for cheaper, than Flare.

Time Mage needs Fork Tower, but Time Mage also has hasted/quicked Comets to do the job. It's messy and ineffective, but it works. White Mage needs Fork Tower, but Berserk/Blink means they can take a physical class along to do the lifting. Mystic Knight wants Fork Tower but gets Silence Spellblade and laughs at the idea of gimmicks.

Basically, the only times you'd need to do Fork Tower with a team that can't generally trivialize it (in other words, the only time you'd fall back on Reflect Ring tricks) are if you want that second free Aegis or if you're against mods/cheats and need to unlock Mime for a Pure Chaos run.

Oh yeah for some reason I was thinking you needed the sub to get to phoenix/bahamut. So yeah scratch summoner from that list.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Summoner has the easiest time of any class against Omniscient anyway because Syldra hits his elemtal weakness and Carbuncle shuts down his offence.

On the subject of nifty post-Fork Tower treasure, there's the Rune Blade. Pretty fun weapon for certain gimmick builds. You can theoretically steal it, but that's even more annoying than killing Omniscient.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Any advice for Thief/MK/Beast/Dragoon on the 4 crystal fight? I have 2 characters that can catch in addition to whoever is a Beastmaster. Aquathorn misses a lot, and iron backs randomly change between doing over 6k hp and just above 2k.

The earth crystal is an easy kill since I can float with !control. I tried using the flame shield to solo the other crystals but eventually the air crystal got 2 turns in a row before the fire crystal could heal me.

I'm wondering if there's another catch that does more reliable damage than ironback but would still do 3k. Or should I just get them close to 3k and have full abp bars to burst the crystal that release randomly picks.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
grind each of them down ~2k health and release 3 breath wings?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Kyrosiris: THIS poo poo AIN'T MAGIC (and will trigger React: Physical scripts): Item, Fight, Kick, Focus, Steal, Mug, Lance, Jump, Throw, Mineuchi, Zeninage, Animals, Aim, Rapid Fire, Call, Check, Scan, Release, Mix, Gaia, and Dance.

Summary: condolences, friend.

Item? Maybe that's another Matrix change, because I emptied the lamp on him a bunch of time in all my attempts to solo him with a Ranger. edit for clarity: I'm saying that it might be different for me, as I was playing on iOS

Doesn't he also let you Steal from him?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I'm wondering if there's another catch that does more reliable damage than ironback but would still do 3k. Or should I just get them close to 3k and have full abp bars to burst the crystal that release randomly picks.

Sandcrawlers in the desert area near the Moogle forest cast Maelstrom when released, an MT attack that will reduce the Crystals' HP to single digits. It isn't guaranteed to work, but if you release two of them, you should have a good chance of taking out the Crystals which are giving you trouble.

OzFactor posted:

Doesn't he also let you Steal from him?

Yeah, !Steal is exempt from his Reset counter in all three versions. Which I guess is nice for completionist players, since that is the only way to get a second Kornago Gourd.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
What are some good W2 grinding spots? ExDeath is giving my Thief-Knight-Geo-Dragoon party a lot of trouble. It shouldn't be impossible to get him down to where he'll kill himself bouncing spells off of me but I need to be able to take a few more hits. At the very least I need Zombie Breath to not be a full party OHKO.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, Omega with Dragoon and Chemist (and Time and Ninja). I'm trying to figure out the best strategy that does not involve Quickleak and ALL THE MIXES ON EVERYONE. So far, I tried buffing the Dragoon to high safety (deathproof, heavy, fire absorb) as well as the main mixer, then Jumping with dualwielded Tridents; that deals an easy 4k damage, 8k after +40 Levels. Could go for 19998 and end the fight in two Jumps, which is maybe my best option. Because the problem is, Omega counters FOUR times after I land. I can survive if it's a mixture of Rocket Punches and Encircles, but sometimes it just ends me and that's little too much RNG for me. Is there a simple way I'm missing? I mean I guess I could also Berserk him, but is that truly easier?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

With Geomancer, I'd say anywhere on the overworld that looks like swamp, because Bottomless Bog is really great for grinding.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

So, Omega with Dragoon and Chemist (and Time and Ninja). I'm trying to figure out the best strategy that does not involve Quickleak and ALL THE MIXES ON EVERYONE. So far, I tried buffing the Dragoon to high safety (deathproof, heavy, fire absorb) as well as the main mixer, then Jumping with dualwielded Tridents; that deals an easy 4k damage, 8k after +40 Levels. Could go for 19998 and end the fight in two Jumps, which is maybe my best option. Because the problem is, Omega counters FOUR times after I land. I can survive if it's a mixture of Rocket Punches and Encircles, but sometimes it just ends me and that's little too much RNG for me. Is there a simple way I'm missing? I mean I guess I could also Berserk him, but is that truly easier?

Every way of killing Omega through his attack routine other than a Chemist kill has some RNG involved. You have Chemist; I just don't know where you draw the line at regarding "too much mixing".

Is he countering 4x per dual wield jump, or because you're jumping with two characters? The obvious solution would be to slow down and only jump with one character until he's in execute range. If it's the dual weapons that's doing it, replace Dual Wield with Mix (or even Drink for Goliath, Haste, Protect & levels while others do Kiss, resist fire).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Two zombies, time with mix, and dragoon with Image could probably get you through it against a berserked omega. It'd be slow, but between aegis, dragon kiss, image, and two dumby targets your dragoon would be pretty safe from the counterattacks. Or you can dual wield and use the mirage vest glitch. If the time mage survives after the initial kiss and berserk quick, he could even throw a couple turtle soups out.

That or reflect rings, dw dragoon, mix on everyone else. Between back row, protect, and Goliath tonic you can take his melee attacks well and have your other 3 party members on xpotion duty/Resurrection if he mustard bombs the heck out of you. This is how I ended up doing it with Ninja/Black mage/time/chemist. While i needed the rings to do damage, they also let you survive his opening attacks so you can abuse quick on your time mage.

The former strategy is basically what I did against shinryu, except I just had everyone but the chemist with !image to survive the berserked shinryu.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
First ever fiesta done, as well as first ever run through FFV.

:siren: Lurdiak for the 'a butt' pledge :siren:

gropemotron fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 9, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Run 3 is done! Bard/Mystic/Mystic/Blue on a Popular run. Got Omega but Shin was basically one shotting everyone and I had already triple crowned once so I said gently caress it. I had a lot of fun playing this old game in new ways.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

38 runs across 4 years and finally, FINALLY, Gilgabot gives me Mystic Knight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oldskool posted:

:tutbutt: :yosbutt: :c00lbutt: Triple butt crown!

gropemotron posted:

First ever fiesta done, as well as first ever run through FFV.

:siren: Lurdiak for the 'a butt' pledge :siren:

:woop: :siren: :woop: :tutbutt: :woop: :siren: WE HAVE ACHIEVED MAXIMUM BUTT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23Io7hAC-o
(don't watch that)

Thanks to everyone who participated in this stupid challenge. I'm so pumped that even though my :toxx: is lifted, I'm going to grant a special extension: everyone who's already started a run as "a butt", I'll donate if you triple crown. The "already started" part is on the honor system, so please don't screw me for charity.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 9, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks to everyone who participated in this stupid challenge. I'm so pumped that even though my :toxx: is lifted, I'm going to grant a special extension: everyone who's already started a run as "a butt", I'll donate if you triple crown. The "already started" part is on the honor system, so please don't screw me for charity.

I've gone ahead and marked it complete in the OP though. You're awesome. :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kyrosiris posted:

I've gone ahead and marked it complete in the OP though. You're awesome. :)

! :O

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

What are some good W2 grinding spots? ExDeath is giving my Thief-Knight-Geo-Dragoon party a lot of trouble. It shouldn't be impossible to get him down to where he'll kill himself bouncing spells off of me but I need to be able to take a few more hits. At the very least I need Zombie Breath to not be a full party OHKO.

I went ahead and tried one more time and won in a weird fight. I decided to see if I could just keep jumping with everyone and hope to jump over the really bad stuff. Well, he went with Zombie Breath at his first opportunity, and I only had the Thief and Dragoon in the air at the time. The Knight barely lived, but the Geo was turned. And you know what? I kept her Zombied. I adjusted my strategy mid fight: keep the Thief and Dragoon in the air--the Thief was doing Double Lance jumps for decent damage--and try to keep the Knight topped off for healing duty. With two targets in the air, single-target attacks had a 50% of hitting the Zombie, and it was a lot easier to focus on healing only three (usually only one since the others were in the air so much). We kept up the damage until he switched his script and started hurting himself, then it was only a matter of time.

So there you have it: sometimes Geomancers are better as Zombies. Also I learned a new thing: Knights will not Cover an attack from your own party. The Thief was critical at one point and after valiantly jumping in front of a Vacuum Wave she stood still and watched the Zombie stab him to death.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Super late for the pledge but just wanted to share. What a thoroughly unfun run, that's the last time I'll do #berserkerrisk with pure chaos.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

derra posted:

Every way of killing Omega through his attack routine other than a Chemist kill has some RNG involved. You have Chemist; I just don't know where you draw the line at regarding "too much mixing".

Is he countering 4x per dual wield jump, or because you're jumping with two characters? The obvious solution would be to slow down and only jump with one character until he's in execute range. If it's the dual weapons that's doing it, replace Dual Wield with Mix (or even Drink for Goliath, Haste, Protect & levels while others do Kiss, resist fire).
Omega was indeed countering four times in a row for each dual wield jump. However, I still got him. I did another try to see if I really had to use the anti-death mix on everyone to keep them from being encircled (nope) or blastered (he didn't do it all that much and it also didn't really matter consider I can full-raise with the Chemist). So ultimately I put a bunch of levels and elemental power on the Dragoon (does the latter even work with Tridents?), and Jumped for 8k-10k damage each. Then I prayed for no quadruple Mustard Bomb, but Omega was kind. I think I only ate two in total.

Ultimately, I hadn't quite understood how powerful I really was. Quick !Mix is one HELL of a thing.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

A day late and a dollar short but my first time beating FF5.

Not sure if I have the heart to beat Omega, I don't think all the buffs in the world can counter his speed matched with my damage output.

Kind of inspired to play FF6 again, it's been over a decade. It's amazing to see the leap in storytelling between 5 and 6, also aided by the graphical facelift it got. Too bad it's so goddamn easy to break the game wide open.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

zenguitarman posted:

Not sure if I have the heart to beat Omega, I don't think all the buffs in the world can counter his speed matched with my damage output.

A single Chemist can take down Omega with a bit of luck. You should be able to do it easily.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

New run is looking like Sam/Geo/Red/Time. Is the Geomancer going to have any use other than maybe grinding ABP in World 1?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Completed my Pure Chaos 5th job triple crown. Late on the Basch train, but did do Maximum Brave. Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Zerker/MIme/Time Mage.

No action shots for Omega/Shinryu, because I sure wasn't sticking around to watch the quickleak happen!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Finally finished my Time Mage/Bard/White Mage/Mime run with a Triple Crown and a maxed Brave Blade (and boy do I never want to do that again).

Exdeath ended up being hilariously easy; I managed to land Slow on his tree form, so he did almost nothing while my Mime and Bard sang and my Mages layered on protection spells. After I got bored waiting for the song buffs, Quick + Holyx2 from the two mages burned him down fast. Neo Exdeath suffered the same fate, though I did use the Magic Lamp to finish off the last segment with Odyn so he couldn't go berserk on me.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012
Got my first triple crown, on the 'harder' version even.

Red/Blue/Bard/Ninja gave me both stop abuse (and once speed was up, doing loads of damage with a boosted Coral Sword) for Omega, and berserk + !Image to make Shinryu do next to nothing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just registered my first game of this tonight. Never played FFV before (though I'm familiar with the loose plot elements via FFRK and FFXIV). Got Monk as my Wind Crystal job. Completely crushed the Siren boss in one round of everyone using focus, was kinda hilarious. On the way to some mountain to find Hiryu the wind drake.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just registered my first game of this tonight. Never played FFV before (though I'm familiar with the loose plot elements via FFRK and FFXIV). Got Monk as my Wind Crystal job. Completely crushed the Siren boss in one round of everyone using focus, was kinda hilarious. On the way to some mountain to find Hiryu the wind drake.

Nice. Welcome to the fiesta. Join the discord if you need immediate help with something. There's almost always someone around to answer questions.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Finally getting around to making some progress in my second run (I guess having like 9 months between events isn't enough to keep me from being burned out on my 4th consecutive year of this crap). Getting to the pyramid in world 3, but first I have a decision to make: Brave Blade or Chicken Knife? Running a team of Red Mage/Samurai/Knight/Chemist on the Fiesta+Balance Mod (so BB is based on kills rather than flees). My Knight can easily run Excalibur and Ragnarok so they don't need the BB, but since I have Chemist anyone who could run !Mineuchi to circumvent the Flee proc would probably be better off with !Mix instead. Hmm, decisions.

I'll probably just take the CK for the 5 point Agility boost.

EDIT: Eh, gently caress it, taking the BB so Knight actually has a decent weapon to hit Shin with is probably the most use I'll get out of either weapon this run, so let's just go with that.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 10, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

New run is looking like Sam/Geo/Red/Time. Is the Geomancer going to have any use other than maybe grinding ABP in World 1?

Despite the jokes, ! Gaia is decent throughout the game, you get wind knives and Gaia gear earlyish which charges him up, gives your other mages some mp free damage, clowns on Wendigo, helps in physical fork tower (that poo poo ain't magic), permanent wind slash vs NED, and probably has the most hp of your three mages so he's gonna tank you the Almagest and Quick-revive everyone else

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Finished up my second run last night so I decided to use my third run to job fair into four of one job, since getting four Knights last year was actually pretty fun. Asiina convinced me to do a #regchaos and then pick one of the jobs to use, taking a duplicate if I happened to get one (unless it was Knight). well

Not a great set, so I decided to go with Time Mage over Ranger. Should be ... interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Poque posted:

Finished up my second run last night so I decided to use my third run to job fair into four of one job, since getting four Knights last year was actually pretty fun. Asiina convinced me to do a #regchaos and then pick one of the jobs to use, taking a duplicate if I happened to get one (unless it was Knight). well

Not a great set, so I decided to go with Time Mage over Ranger. Should be ... interesting

Whether you are playing SNES or a later version, you can triple crown with that team, so good luck with that.

• Locked thread