Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The entire capitalist class is to blame and the banks are just an extremely visible part of the profiteering lot, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
1. What Agnosticnixie said.
2. "It's just how things are done" does not absolve a single bit of moral guilt.
3. The bankers are often the government.

doverhog posted:

Bailing out the banks was necessary but they should have been nationalized at the same time. This would shown the bankers there is a moral hazard to giving our bad loans, and would have guaranteed the tax payers get their money back. Of course that didn't happen because the EU is corrupt and run by the bankers, who do whatever they want and just pass on the risk to the tax payer.
If they were nationalized there wouldn't be a moral hazard - or at least less of one.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Macaroni is an investment banker, the difference between "the banks" and "the government" is a rather non-existent at this point.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Genuine question. Why do people (often, not everyone, of course) blame the banks and bankers more than the governments?

It is the job of any company, including a bank, to maximise in the short term profit. We may disagree with that goal, we may think that certain moral boundaries should be respected, and that even in a purely cold analysis such focus on the short term is counter-productive and idiotic. But our economic system and our culture very strongly pushes that particular set of incentives.

Large organisations also end up not knowing what they're doing. The more levels of abstraction you add, the farther you get from the truth, even if no one lies or misleads the person above them in the hierarchy. And the more layers of abstraction you add, the less transparency in responsibility is there: almost no one who works in a particular company thinks of the big picture, they only care about the set of goals and incentives at their level.

And then there's the fact that most companies are staggeringly incompetent. This includes banks. Most individual people have no clue what they're doing, neither do departments, and neither does the company as a whole. The factors that contributed to the crash are more a result of massive incompetence rather than malice.

Also, what is the alternative? Should banks simply not lend to poor people? I know that personally I've really struggled with things that would have been easy with access to a line of credit. Yes, of course debt can be used as a poverty trap, but it can also be essential in escaping poverty.

Obviously, banks trading complex derivatives without understanding them is in no way defensible, but that is referenced far less often than selling "bad debt".

On the other hand, it is the job of a government to provide stability and prevent crises. If all the systemic and cultural incentives lead companies into making bad decisions, then surely it is the job of a government to counteract them - for example by setting lending standards and minimum reserve rates, or through other prudential regulation?

I don't mean to be all "the banks did nothing wrong!", but to some degree I think that blaming them for everything lets the people I consider more responsible for it off the hook. It really seems to me that most people (not on this forum, just in general) don't place the blame on governments if they can avoid it.

Lack of proper revolutionary consciousness, OP

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

quote:

Also, what is the alternative? Should banks simply not lend to poor people? I know that personally I've really struggled with things that would have been easy with access to a line of credit. Yes, of course debt can be used as a poverty trap, but it can also be essential in escaping poverty.

Strong, enforced regulations that make predatory lending impossible or as close to that as possible.

Nobody has problems with bankers making a living wage. The problem comes when bankers can crash the world economy and walk away without any form of punishment, and the regulations that are put in place after the crash (that were not really that strong anyway) already beginning to get repealed less than 10 years later.

How do you distinguish the ruling caste from the working caste? Simple, the ruling caste is the one where nobody gets (seriously) punished and there are no realistic negative consequences to their actions. The bankers are (part of) the ruling caste, so the working caste naturally (and justifiably in my opinion) hate them.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Genuine question. Why do people (often, not everyone, of course) blame the banks and bankers more than the governments?

It is the job of any company, including a bank, to maximise in the short term profit. We may disagree with that goal, we may think that certain moral boundaries should be respected, and that even in a purely cold analysis such focus on the short term is counter-productive and idiotic. But our economic system and our culture very strongly pushes that particular set of incentives.

Large organisations also end up not knowing what they're doing. The more levels of abstraction you add, the farther you get from the truth, even if no one lies or misleads the person above them in the hierarchy. And the more layers of abstraction you add, the less transparency in responsibility is there: almost no one who works in a particular company thinks of the big picture, they only care about the set of goals and incentives at their level.

And then there's the fact that most companies are staggeringly incompetent. This includes banks. Most individual people have no clue what they're doing, neither do departments, and neither does the company as a whole. The factors that contributed to the crash are more a result of massive incompetence rather than malice.

Obviously, banks trading complex derivatives without understanding them is in no way defensible, but that is referenced far less often than selling "bad debt".

On the other hand, it is the job of a government to provide stability and prevent crises. If all the systemic and cultural incentives lead companies into making bad decisions, then surely it is the job of a government to counteract them - for example by setting lending standards and minimum reserve rates, or through other prudential regulation?

I don't mean to be all "the banks did nothing wrong!", but to some degree I think that blaming them for everything lets the people I consider more responsible for it off the hook. It really seems to me that most people (not on this forum, just in general) don't place the blame on governments if they can avoid it.

There's a load of errors/ mistaken beliefs in your posts so I'm just going to list stuff where you're off in no particular order (and commit some gross generalisations):

0. In Europe, we do generally not agree at all that the job of business is to maximise profits. There is a certain consensus that the job of a company is also to respect its stakeholders: its employees, the localities where they do their business/ have their plants, the countries in which they work and are supposed to pay their taxes, the environment, etc. Obviously there is debate as to how much this should happen, but the pursuit of profit is not generally thought to be sufficient as an excuse for a company's actions.

1. You're conflating the global financial crisis and the eurocrisis. These had different, though perhaps sometimes overlapping, causes and have been resolved in different ways. For obvious reasons, this thread is usually more interested in debating how the eurocrisis was resolved.

2. The global financial crisis originated in the American mortgage market. It was not caused in any way by banks unwisely lending to poor people, and neither was the eurocrisis. There certainly was fraudulent behaviour contributing to the GFC though, from the banks refusing to check whether the paperwork for mortgages was in order, discrimination of minority borrowers, to robosigning, to investment banks selling derivatives of which they knew they were trash
(2a. Also, if you want to help people get out of poverty, it's more effective to give them money than to lend it to them anyway.)

3. Banks going down wasn't even necessarily a consequence of shareholder imposed short-termism. Many German Landesbanken took a bath during the financial crisis, and then compounded their error by investing in high-yielding peripheral Eurozone bonds ( Greece). The Dutch cooperative Rabobank for instance took major losses too. This was not a consequence of shorttermism, it was a consequence of greed and ambition.

4. Wherever they are based, bankers are invariably in the 1%, or usually even in the 0,1% income group with the highest salaries. If you're pulling down 6, 7, or even 8--figure salaries, you don't get to use 'excessive complexity' as an excuse.

5. Finally, governments *have* tried to address the failures in regulation and prudential supervision that enabled the crisis to happen. There are now all sorts of new Stability Boards, supervisory mechanisms, legislation like Dodd-Frank or limits to bonuses. It may not have been enough, but you can't say nothing was done. Speaking generally though , bankers still want their loving bonuses. They're still lobbying for Dodd-Frank repeal and the neutering of oversight, and they still expect to be bailed out when they fail. gently caress 'em.

6. Obviously a lot of blame for the eurocrisis can be put on its hosed-up architecture preventing economic adjustment and leaving banks in the eurozone core with a lot of money and no good place to put it safely and with a good return. So they put that money into Greece instead, or in Spanish or Irish real estate. They *still* had alternatives though: they could have spread their money wider, or chosen to be satisfied with a lower return on their investments, or try harder to find deserving borrowers locally. The fact that they didn't could be called incompetent, but I suppose the Netherlands is not the only country where 'excessive incompetence' can translate into legal consequences.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 9, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

It is the job of any company, including a bank, to maximise in the short term profit.

Their job is loving up our society, is what you are saying.

Were they born into this job or did they choose to go into this profession of their own free will?

That's why people rightly loving despise bankers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
It should be the job of businesses to make maximum profits no matter what, within the limits set by law.

Expecting businesses to do the right thing when it conflicts with the profit motive is an excuse for inadequate regulation.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

blowfish posted:

It should be the job of businesses to make maximum profits no matter what, within the limits set by law.

Why?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

Their job is loving up our society, is what you are saying.

Were they born into this job or did they choose to go into this profession of their own free will?

That's why people rightly loving despise bankers.

I mean, yes, so much as every job in capitalism is loving up our society. I would call that more a problem with the system than with individual actors.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

There's a load of errors/ mistaken beliefs in your posts so I'm just going to list stuff where you're off in no particular order (and commit some gross generalisations):

0. In Europe, we do generally not agree at all that the job of business is to maximise profits. There is a certain consensus that the job of a company is also to respect its stakeholders: its employees, the localities where they do their business/ have their plants, the countries in which they work and are supposed to pay their taxes, the environment, etc. Obviously there is debate as to how much this should happen, but the pursuit of profit is not generally thought to be sufficient as an excuse for a company's actions.

1. You're conflating the global financial crisis and the eurocrisis. These had different, though perhaps sometimes overlapping, causes and have been resolved in different ways. For obvious reasons, this thread is usually more interested in debating how the eurocrisis was resolved.

2. The global financial crisis originated in the American mortgage market. It was not caused in any way by banks unwisely lending to poor people, and neither was the eurocrisis. There certainly was fraudulent behaviour contributing to the GFC though, from the banks refusing to check whether the paperwork for mortgages was in order, discrimination of minority borrowers, to robosigning, to investment banks selling derivatives of which they knew they were trash
(2a. Also, if you want to help people get out of poverty, it's more effective to give them money than to lend it to them anyway.)

3. Banks going down wasn't even necessarily a consequence of shareholder imposed short-termism. Many German Landesbanken took a bath during the financial crisis, and then compounded their error by investing in high-yielding peripheral Eurozone bonds ( Greece). The Dutch cooperative Rabobank for instance took major losses too. This was not a consequence of shorttermism, it was a consequence of greed and ambition.

4. Wherever they are based, bankers are invariably in the 1%, or usually even in the 0,1% income group with the highest salaries. If you're pulling down 6, 7, or even 8--figure salaries, you don't get to use 'excessive complexity' as an excuse.

5. Finally, governments *have* tried to address the failures in regulation and prudential supervision that enabled the crisis to happen. There are now all sorts of new Stability Boards, supervisory mechanisms, legislation like Dodd-Frank or limits to bonuses. It may not have been enough, but you can't say nothing was done. Speaking generally though , bankers still want their loving bonuses. They're still lobbying for Dodd-Frank repeal and the neutering of oversight, and they still expect to be bailed out when they fail. gently caress 'em.

6. Obviously a lot of blame for the eurocrisis can be put on its hosed-up architecture preventing economic adjustment and leaving banks in the eurozone core with a lot of money and no good place to put it safely and with a good return. So they put that money into Greece instead, or in Spanish or Irish real estate. They *still* had alternatives though: they could have spread their money wider, or chosen to be satisfied with a lower return on their investments, or try harder to find deserving borrowers locally. The fact that they didn't could be called incompetent, but I suppose the Netherlands is not the only country where 'excessive incompetence' can translate into legal consequences.

You make a lot of good points. And make no mistake, I don't mean to say the banks did nothing wrong. It just feels weird to me to put more of the blame on institutions acting according to societal and systemic incentives (so, doing their job as stated by the system) than on the governments that were specifically doing the opposite of their job. Many governments even now gleefully pass policies designed to inflate housing bubbles.

It's just... I don't know. I feel if a tiger attacked me in a zoo I'd put more of the blame on the zoo than on the tiger. That doesn't mean I'm happy with the tiger. I feel that usually governments are not blamed enough for things. I feel the same about lobbying; I'm much more angry at the government selling out than at the people trying to buy it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Bankers aren't tigers. They have a choice.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know who else has a choice? Borrowers.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Geriatric Pirate posted:

did they though? I mean we are talking about the subprime lending, right?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

loving lol if you want to blame the failings of an economic system on the least powerful actors within that system.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GEMorris posted:

loving lol if you want to blame the failings of an economic system on the least powerful actors within that system.

He has the AV for a reason. Liberals literally cannot grasp how relations of power work and think people are all always in an equally responsible situation.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Borrowers only have a choice if somebody is willing to lend in the first place, so his statement is even more dumb that it appears at first glance.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goa Tse-tung posted:

did they though? I mean we are talking about the subprime lending, right?

Uhm greek crisis initially. Though it applies to a large degree to subprime as well. No one is forcing anyone to buy a house or invest in their business with debt. You'd have to be a complete moron (see for example Cerebral Bore) to think people are forced to borrow. Probably because he is a middle class teenager whose parents owned a house and thus he thinks homeownership is always necessary.

While in the US there was clear mis-selling of debt and perhaps "exploitation" of the fact that consumers didn't understand variable rates or thought that housing prices would always rise, you'd have to think people are really loving stupid to think that the majority of people were not making a choice when borrowing. Then again, there are many people (left wing) on this thread who think poor people have absolutely no agency and never make active decisions, and advertising financial services is as good as removing their ability to choose.

The fact that this discussion started from the Greek crisis where even the loving government borrowed too much money, which is apparently not a choice that the Greek government made but the result of some dastardly manipulation by Goldman Sachs.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You'd have to be a complete moron to think people are forced to borrow.

Hmm... yeah, can't see any fault in this reasoning. I guess im goign to have to vote hjallis next election

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Me, paying half my income on rent: i don't really need to own a house really

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yes, surely in the history of mankind nobody has ever found themselves in a situation where they're forced to go into debt.

To be frank it's kind of hard to respond to this, really, mostly because it makes it a bit too clear that GP doesn't exactly share the same reality as the rest of us.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yes, surely in the history of mankind nobody has ever found themselves in a situation where they're forced to go into debt.

To be frank it's kind of hard to respond to this, really, mostly because it makes it a bit too clear that GP doesn't exactly share the same reality as the rest of us.

They can always kill themselves instead of taking debt.

And we know GP lusts for pauper death.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

lollontee posted:

Me, paying half my income on rent: i don't really need to own a house really

As expected, here is a retard who doesn't understand the economics of homeownership. Would the situation somehow be better if you were paying 75% of your income on a mortgage? Maybe the problem is the fact that your income is low, not that you don't have a choice (well in this case you don't, because banks rarely lend money to students, but you're arguing not arguing that renters don't have a choice but that borrrowers don't). And even the income thing is not really a problem because most teenage university students are supposed to be in the stage of their lifecycle where their income is low.

Basically it seems to boil down "I don't want to pay rent because landlords DEUTSCHE BANK therefore I have no choice" for you.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Oh well if someone at some point in time was forced to go into debt that means all debt is forced. gently caress, I guess the mortgage I just took out was also forced upon me because banks may sometimes mislead some customers.

Teenage communist Cerebral Bore with yet another insight into how financial decision making works in the real world.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You'd be more convincing what with your bad attempts at owning people by calling them middle class if you didn't make it abundantly clear that the only points of reference WRT debt you have are the most petty bourg ones possible.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

You'd be more convincing what with your bad attempts at owning people by calling them middle class if you didn't make it abundantly clear that the only points of reference WRT debt you have are the most petty bourg ones possible.

Well, that's one way to try to avoid confrontation on the issue that you basically think poor people have no agency when it comes to financial matters. Me calling you middle class and a student is just to point out that despite you repeatedly making yourself out to be some sort of expert on poverty or the financial decisions, you really don't have any experience in being poor or making financial decisions. Most of your viewpoints seem to be based on D&D myths or Guardian articles, and they seem to revolve around the poor being unable to make decisions because REASONS, usually taking the Guardian-approach of taking one case study and assuming everyone does the same or using some misleading statistic.

Instead of that, why don't you explain to me why exactly is taking a mortgage not a choice but instead something that apparently that is forced upon you by evil bankers who should bear the consequences? (edit: bankers should face the loan losses, but I'm wondering why you think that of all the possible parties to the transaction as well as regulators, it's the sellers that should be "morally responsible" for buyers buying stuff they can't afford. because they're already financially responsible)

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 9, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am in fact 12 years old, and i must confess under this withering barrage of moral argument that I do not in fact, deserve a house as I've voluntarily decided to have a low income by choice. I guess it's because I've read this british newspaper that I've heard is popular among liberals and it's corrupted my mind even though I despise it.

I mean yeah, if I just lived 20 kiloms outside the city proper and spent two hours every day commuting, i would be something. But I've chosen to live among m y betters, and I really have only myself to blame for the amount of rent i pay. I could just live choose to live somewhere really lovely, where I belong. Man, i really need to stop complaining about the people I pay rent to, and start voting for the people who built this modern utopia and own loving everything.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Buddy, if you projected any harder I'd suspect that you are actually a cinema. Still, it's a pretty decent effort at making GBS threads up the thread after you've revealed that you don't know the first thing about how debt works. The better solution would be to slink off and hope that people forget your dumb mistake, but here we are, I guess.

Also it's funny how rightwing blowhards have started falling back on talking about "agency" when they want to justify their hatred of poor people having things. Like, do you really think that people can't tell that this is just the same old thinly-veiled contempt for the poor dressed up in some kind of pseudo-progressive language?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

lollontee posted:

I am in fact 12 years old, and i must confess under this withering barrage of moral argument that I do not in fact, deserve a house as I've voluntarily decided to have a low income by choice. I guess it's because I've read this british newspaper that I've heard is popular among liberals and it's corrupted my mind even though I despise it.

I mean yeah, if I just lived 20 kiloms outside the city proper and spent two hours every day commuting, i would be something. But I've chosen to live among m y betters, and I really have only myself to blame for the amount of rent i pay. I could just live choose to live somewhere really lovely, where I belong. Man, i really need to stop complaining about the people I pay rent to, and start voting for the people who built this modern utopia and own loving everything.

*rents house in most expensive neighborhood*

"What do you mean I had a choice? If I didn't live here, I'd have to COMMUTE. That's a human rights violation"

Also: You pretty much admitted that the reason you would be "forced" to buy a house is because you don't like landlords (the only thing even remotely connected to being forced to take a loan is you not liking your landlord). So basically it seems to boil down to petty jealousy.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Buddy, if you projected any harder I'd suspect that you are actually a cinema. Still, it's a pretty decent effort at making GBS threads up the thread after you've revealed that you don't know the first thing about how debt works. The better solution would be to slink off and hope that people forget your dumb mistake, but here we are, I guess.

Also it's funny how rightwing blowhards have started falling back on talking about "agency" when they want to justify their hatred of poor people having things. Like, do you really think that people can't tell that this is just the same old thinly-veiled contempt for the poor dressed up in some kind of pseudo-progressive language?

Yes, these right wing blowhards treating poor people like people instead of like pets that middle-class leftists like to show off when they want to advance some political cause. How evil.

Still missing: A reason why poor people were forced to take loans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yes, these right wing blowhards treating poor people like people instead of like pets that middle-class leftists like to show off when they want to advance some political cause. How evil.

Still missing: A reason why poor people were forced to take loans.

lol dude, this is turning into self-parody at this point. I'd usually say that you can't actually be this dumb, but now I really have to wonder.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Basically my reason fpr being poor is becausse I'm jealous of rich people. I should stop being jealous and poor and just accept things the way they are.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like, the dude's literally going "unlike you I am the one who actually cares about poor people, now explain to me why the poors would ever have to go into debt" :smug:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's getting a bit hard to make fun of this, what with the vomit pooling up in my mouth. Though it is true that this feeling of utter revulsion and spite is my choice.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol dude, this is turning into self-parody at this point. I'd usually say that you can't actually be this dumb, but now I really have to wonder.

Either he's the most committed gimmick or he's just the most dense motherfucker imaginable.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Like, the dude's literally going "unlike you I am the one who actually cares about poor people, now explain to me why the poors would ever have to go into debt" :smug:

Yeah, poor people have to take mortgages to live, don't you know anything about the real world?

Alternatively, you think the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis was actually a medical debt or credit card crisis.

I know you think you're doing some masterful trolling effort here whereas you're just making yourself look like an out of touch middle class leftist again who starts posting random poo poo when owned in an attempt to make it seem like you were never serious to start with.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, poor people have to take mortgages to live, don't you know anything about the real world?

Alternatively, you think the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis was actually a medical debt or credit card crisis.

I know you think you're doing some masterful trolling effort here whereas you're just making yourself look like an out of touch middle class leftist again who starts posting random poo poo when owned in an attempt to make it seem like you were never serious to start with.

Naw, I'm just pointing out the sad fact that your purported treatment of the poor as people only goes exactly far enough so that you can blame them for their lot in life.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Uhm greek crisis initially. Though it applies to a large degree to subprime as well. No one is forcing anyone to buy a house or invest in their business with debt. You'd have to be a complete moron (see for example Cerebral Bore) to think people are forced to borrow. Probably because he is a middle class teenager whose parents owned a house and thus he thinks homeownership is always necessary.

This is a part of the gist in Piketty's Capital; the post-war period was a historical aberration where even lower-class European people could actually own something. We are now moving back towards the historical norm where the vast majority of people will live their entire lives hand-to-mouth. You seem to find this a pleasant image of the future, which is a bit baffling, but to each his own I suppose.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rappaport posted:

This is a part of the gist in Piketty's Capital; the post-war period was a historical aberration where even lower-class European people could actually own something. We are now moving back towards the historical norm where the vast majority of people will live their entire lives hand-to-mouth. You seem to find this a pleasant image of the future, which is a bit baffling, but to each his own I suppose.

Personally I think the ruling class is going to discover the unfortunate reality where, if given something and thinking it rightfully theirs, the ruled are going to react rather unpleasantly unpleasantly when told that they can't have what their parents had because of reasons.

Incrediböly hosed up people like GB can do the logic dance and claim that actually, nobody deserves anything because society doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean anyone who isn't already beyond help is going to buy that. And we can see that happening already with the elections of trump et al.

The world will burn before the working classes accept that they deserve their place in a system that offers them nothing but promises of worse things to come.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Because businesses become successful by making profits and acquiring more market share to make more profits.

If you act like businesses are incentivised to be run in a societally useful (or otherwise ethical) manner, but fail to provide incentives to be useful in the form of regulatory restrictions or subsidies, all that will happen is that businesses will trend towards being run by literal Ferengi as doing anything other than maximising profits will eventually lead to being outcompeted. Ergo, you should just provide those incentives in the first place and assume that business will act like literal Ferengi from the get go.

As a side effect, this allows you to harmlessly harness the advantages of maximum capitalism in those cases where it's not necessary for the state to step in and market-based solutions are actually adequate, e.g. distributing widgets to consumers. Also, given that being a soulless rear end in a top hat doesn't confer advantages if it's properly regulated against, this might actually lead to business leaders being less assholish in the end.

tl;dr: :females:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 9, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Naw, I'm just pointing out the sad fact that your purported treatment of the poor as people only goes exactly far enough so that you can blame them for their lot in life.

This right loving here.

It's clear from GPs posts that he has zero first hand experience with poverty. Sometimes you have to go into debt or you starve. That can mean something as small as a car repair bill on the only credit card anyone will give you that charges 20%+ interest rates, that will literally take you years to pay off. But your choices are die of starvation or get a means of transportation to work.

I grew up poor, I lived a good bit of my life poor, and I'm barely middle class now thanks to the education and other debts I took on during my path to get where I am now. Some of those debts were my mistake, some were medical emergencies (my wife was bitten by a copperhead), some were beneficial, and some were what I would call predatory, but the idea that I could and should just choose to take none of them on is downright laughable.

Banks went out and huckstered the shittiest loans to the people with the least ability to understand their ramifications (thanks to an underfunded educational system you probably also hate). And you think the people that got suckered are to blame rather than the hucksters who built a paper castle out of lies.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't you realise that your car is actually a privilege, it's not something you deserve. Just because you desperately need something doesn't mean you should be free of debt slavery. You took that loan and because it was your choice to take that loan to pay for something you really needed, you should pay for the consequences of needing a new carburetor. Nobody forced you to need anything.