Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Zo posted:

if you're not good at landing long range headshots, the kar is basically a really terrible ak anyway

i know what i suck at so i never pick it up

you get better by forcing yourself to pick up weapons you are weak with & practicing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
How come it takes 4 shots to kill someone at 200m with an akm. Is there damage drop over distance ?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Thanks for your expert advice. I was fairly confident they couldn't possibly have 3 guys in one bathroom.
Always assume squad mates are nearby and about to seek revenge when you down someone and they don't drop instantly. You're not the only goon guilty of this. LEARN FROM THIS BOY'S SHAME.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

buckets of buckets posted:

How come it takes 4 shots to kill someone at 200m with an akm. Is there damage drop over distance ?

There's bullet drop, so you may not be hitting where you think you're hitting, and they could be wearing a lvl 3 vest. Also, hit detection seems kind of screwy sometimes. Or you're not actually hitting them 4 times. Or...

I'm done.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Damage\power is reduced over distance -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWvhTRC8sUA

(1 headshot vs. no armor at close range, 2 headshots at 100 meters or so. M16).

According to the devs drag isn't modeled though so the bullet doesn't actually slow down, just hurts less.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 9, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

There is a damage chart in the OP, you should check it out.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of long jumps because the few times I've gone straight down and raced my long jumping buddies with a car it seems like you can usually get places faster with a car.

So I watched a video the other day that broke it down - I can't find it just now but I'll try to. My memory may not be perfect but:

You get 1.5km away from the plane drop by looking up, falling at 126km and waiting for the lowest point for your chute to open.
You can get 3km away from the plane by opening the chute as soon as you're allowed, and by tapping the forward key to keep your downward speed at ~20km/h.
Getting anywhere further than about 2km away is faster if you land on a car and drive it in.

However, obviously taking a car makes a lot of noise. I've dropped ~2.5km into a town, seen somebody beat me there.... but they've thought they were alone and didn't realise I was there about to drop in, giving me an easy kill.

Also the numbers above are different based on the height of the land - if you're dropping onto high ground you won't get as far.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 9, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

i had 3 games in a row today where I was driving and someone decided to be an idiot rambo and chase me down in their car and all 3 times i just lead them to a populated area, faked like I was pulling over to get into a gun fight and watched as the person chasing me jumped out of their car and immediately got gunned down by people hiding in the buildings while I just drove off lmao

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Fart Car '97 posted:

i had 3 games in a row today where I was driving and someone decided to be an idiot rambo and chase me down in their car and all 3 times i just lead them to a populated area, faked like I was pulling over to get into a gun fight and watched as the person chasing me jumped out of their car and immediately got gunned down by people hiding in the buildings while I just drove off lmao

Post/username combo lol

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Probably hitting those wildly swinging arms or legs. Wait until you hit them 5 times with an m4 at distance. That taught me to get better at aiming and stick to better rifles boy I tell you what

It's also why coordinating fire is so important

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Sterling submachine gun preview lookin' good.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

cosmicjim posted:

If the circle has closed in to just over grenade range. What is the best gun/sight/muzzle attachment combo for a grass fight with 6 or less people left? I'm looking forward to any answers, but speak up if and humble brag if you've won a lot.

I've been trying to 3rd person target people with my rifle then hit m2 while prone, but the shot doesn't seem to line up. No one is dying but I can't tell if im high or low because I'm blinded by grass. What's the correct method of lining these up?

Moving/shooting is the biggest thing that can give you away in a grass fight. Even a suppressor isn't good enough to keep you completely silent, but it's better than nothing.

I would roll pretty much any assault rifle, a red dot/holo sight, and a suppressor. I wouldn't try to shoot while prone from the grass - I would switch from prone to crouch on seeing someone using third person, squeeze off the shot and immediately prone after, but I also wouldn't start trying to get kills until around only three players remaining. Doing nothing or throwing grenades is probably your best bet.

If you can find any other kind of cover than prone in a field, use that instead - sweeping the field from cover using third person works way better than actually being in the field, as not being able to scope people and not having any cover isn't an advantageous position unless your strategy is to just try to hide. If the field isn't dead center in the final circle, you're probably going to die when you have get up and start running.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Moving/shooting is the biggest thing that can give you away in a grass fight. Even a suppressor isn't good enough to keep you completely silent, but it's better than nothing.

I would roll pretty much any assault rifle, a red dot/holo sight, and a suppressor. I wouldn't try to shoot while prone from the grass - I would switch from prone to crouch on seeing someone using third person, squeeze off the shot and immediately prone after, but I also wouldn't start trying to get kills until around only three players remaining. Doing nothing or throwing grenades is probably your best bet.

If you can find any other kind of cover than prone in a field, use that instead - sweeping the field from cover using third person works way better than actually being in the field, as not being able to scope people and not having any cover isn't an advantageous position unless your strategy is to just try to hide. If the field isn't dead center in the final circle, you're probably going to die when you have get up and start running.

Feeling most of the this post besides the bolded part. Besides the basics like how to loot (what to pick up/building layouts), learning the map, learning how to drop correctly... picking your engagements is the most important piece of knowledge you can learn. Its a subconscious flowchart that just takes time. Once you're able to read the map and reorient yourself quickly you'll take a ton of pressure off yourself and be able to focus on killing people because you're already in a safe position to engage. Of course there are many, many times each game where I am completely out in the open. Its unavoidable and most of the time you don't need to worry about it and doing so will only delay you from getting to a better position. Saying to not shoot people until there are only 3 left is wild though. Take any easy shots/kills you can and reposition. gently caress laying prone or not moving in the end. Stay mobile and stay dangerous. Don't run straight into the circle obviously but work the terrain and the edge. I feel so uncomfortable and useless laying prone in the middle of the circle and hearing fire from all around me. YMMV

I'm pretty aware of my limitations in this game; I'm not making headshots like grimmmz does past 400 meters. If you're in ~top 20 only take shots you know you can hit! If you see someone running perpendicular to you and don't think you can hit a majority of your shots, wait until they get to the cover they're running to and then take them out. Or shoot a single shot or slowly shoot so they can't locate you. Or flank them until you can take a shot you can hit. I don't think this is mind blowing advice but I see people throwing a full clip at me and not hitting me once and wonder what the hell they're thinking (probably panic). But you better believe from start to finish I'm probably taking any shot I'm at least semi confident in. If he will be visible for a few seconds I'll give me teammates a direction + a physical description of what he is by, get a confirmation that they see him or not and then say "shooting in 3..2..1" to try and focus our fire.

What I'm really trying to say is playing only one way will only hurt you in the long run. Its good to try out a lot of different things for the first 100 games because there are so many different situations you'll find yourself in. You're going to really beat yourself up for taking or not taking a shot when you first start getting into the top 10 and that is natural but record your games, watch your replays and you'll figure out quickly what the correct decision was.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah Pochinki, School, Apartments are nice to land in because you're right in the middle of the map and you're less likely to get destroyed by a lovely circle. In squads I hate people who land in the middle of nowhere or long jump.

I'm extremely skeptical of long jumps because the few times I've gone straight down and raced my long jumping buddies with a car it seems like you can usually get places faster with a car.

WhatEvil posted:

So I watched a video the other day that broke it down - I can't find it just now but I'll try to. My memory may not be perfect but:

You get 1.5km away from the plane drop by looking up, falling at 126km and waiting for the lowest point for your chute to open.
You can get 3km away from the plane by opening the chute as soon as you're allowed, and by tapping the forward key to keep your downward speed at ~20km/h.
Getting anywhere further than about 2km away is faster if you land on a car and drive it in.

However, obviously taking a car makes a lot of noise. I've dropped ~2.5km into a town, seen somebody beat me there.... but they've thought they were alone and didn't realise I was there about to drop in, giving me an easy kill.

Also the numbers above are different based on the height of the land - if you're dropping onto high ground you won't get as far.

I got you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpFk3p_2Wk

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I feel like the sircle condenses too much at the end of the game.

The last circle should be an arena for the last remaining players to fight in not an ever constant threat that could screw you at a moments notice.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've been killed way more by disadvantageous circles than i have by enemy skill in the top ten. it's pretty much a crapshoot between 'whose cover is going to be in the circle? congrats, they win'

J
Jun 10, 2001

TJChap2840 posted:

I whiff badly at almost any range. It's my own terribleness that makes me saltiest the most.

:same:

Trying to figure out the best way to get more practice at mid-long range shooting. So far it seems the containers area in georgopol is pretty decent for this early game, and then after that seeking out crates to either camp or shoot at other dudes camping the crate.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i've been killed way more by disadvantageous circles than i have by enemy skill in the top ten. it's pretty much a crapshoot between 'whose cover is going to be in the circle? congrats, they win'

The problem with this is the circle doesn't seem to cause the top players to lose very much.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i've been killed way more by disadvantageous circles than i have by enemy skill in the top ten.
No you haven't.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

J posted:

:same:

Trying to figure out the best way to get more practice at mid-long range shooting. So far it seems the containers area in georgopol is pretty decent for this early game, and then after that seeking out crates to either camp or shoot at other dudes camping the crate.

Yeah I'm looking forward to if/when they get a firing range to try out medium/long range shots.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I need more clothes in my barbie dress-up murder simulator.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ugh I got second place twice in a row and died both times to the circle while taking my killing shots.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Snapes N Snapes posted:

I need more clothes in my barbie dress-up murder simulator.

Give me that dazzle camo!!

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a secret setting Grimmz is using to make his footsteps very loud?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Duos seems to the the sweet spot for me. Buddy to help you loot faster and avenge your death. Not as slow paced as solo but not the constant fighting/struggle that squads are for me usually.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

qkkl posted:

dac + amplifier

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

qkkl posted:

I think this has been mentioned in the thread earlier, but going into the windows audio settings and enabling the loudness equalization effect helps a lot

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

cosmicjim posted:

The problem with this is the circle doesn't seem to cause the top players to lose very much.

I would say that balancing around what the very best players in the game dwould be stupid. I dunno if anyone has watched TSM_VISS & SmaK today but they won a duo game with 36 combined kills and killed like 90% of the final 21 remaining single handedly. Like of course they won't have a problem if the circle is far away, because they are so good they will kill people straight up even if the other people get the drop on them.

I'd like the circle to be less of a factor at the end because its not as fun to be worrying about racing the circle as it is shooting at other players.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I unironically can't wait to watch some giant pro PUBG competitions.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Yodzilla posted:

I unironically can't wait to watch some giant pro PUBG competitions.

it's gonna be a lot of dudes taking each other out in the first 5-10 mins of the match, a giant boring middle and then another crazy 2-5 minutes at the end.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jerkface posted:

I would say that balancing around what the very best players in the game dwould be stupid. I dunno if anyone has watched TSM_VISS & SmaK today but they won a duo game with 36 combined kills and killed like 90% of the final 21 remaining single handedly. Like of course they won't have a problem if the circle is far away, because they are so good they will kill people straight up even if the other people get the drop on them.

I'd like the circle to be less of a factor at the end because its not as fun to be worrying about racing the circle as it is shooting at other players.

the reason games are popular is directly related to catering to a massively high skill ceiling combined with highly obfuscated RNG mechanics. It's stupid but it sells games. If people are arguing your RNG mechanics are actually skill based you know you've done it right.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Tokubetsu posted:

it's gonna be a lot of dudes taking each other out in the first 5-10 mins of the match, a giant boring middle and then another crazy 2-5 minutes at the end.

So a normal game

edit: wait does this mean I'm a pro :monocle:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

aunt jemima posted:

So a normal game

edit: wait does this mean I'm a pro :monocle:

:hfive:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jerkface posted:

Racing the circle is a mid-game thing.

If they extended the circle timers at the end, the only thing that would change is that the person disfavoured by the circle would try to peek snipe for twice as long before moving up, making the whole thing slower without changing the dynamics at all.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
The mid game isn't for taking fights it's for positioning. Early you want to rush undergeared players and late you're forced to finish the fight. The problem with all this is that if you end up in a good position in the circle it can be the best course of action to sit on your rear end forever.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
We're doing some fun minigames with custom rules our squad has to follow. Right now we're playing a fun Scavenger-styled ruleset.

https://www.twitch.tv/agoat/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jerkface posted:

If you think a game shouldn't be balanced by the high end, you are out of your mind.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a more up to date listing of guns/armor/equipment than what is in the OP? I know the Groza isn't in there, and I feel like there's some other guns missing as well, like the P18C. Also I got my first legit grenade kill today. I popped the grenade, got killed, and the duder died as he tried to loot me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The risk/skill element of selecting spots without knowing the future circle is far preferable to removing that element and just letting the campers know 100% their spot is safe.

• Locked thread