Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I'm sure sufficiently fancy pizzas go well with wine, but I don't imagine trailer oven pizza would make the cut.

I mean, pizzas are :italy:. So is wine. As long as it's reasonable quality (and you can absolute do better than like Sbarro grade pizza in a food truck with a suitable oven) that doesn't seem a bad combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Enfys posted:

I know I want to spend my retirement working harder for less money and more hassle.

If you're retirement age and you don't have enough saved to live out your days what else are you supposed to do? White-collar jobs won't hire anyone your age, retail isn't enough to live on and is an abusive, miserable job 99% of the time. She shouldn't do the 30k pizza training because making pizza is not that hard, but a lot of boomers are looking into small retirement businesses because there aren't really any other options.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We have the "Tamale Guy" on the westside of Chicago. Dude goes from bar to bar selling tamales out of his coolers at $1 a shot or a bag of them for $5. All home made and delicious. There's even an app to track where he's at through the night (though I've never used it). I've talked to him a few times and he says that he clears about $100k a year doing it. I don't think there's any permits or anything involved, but he's a westside institution and he's met with literal cheers every now and then when he enters a bar. Red cooler. Not blue cooler guy. Blue cooler guy is a copycat and a pale imitation.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

We have the "Tamale Guy" on the westside of Chicago. Dude goes from bar to bar selling tamales out of his coolers at $1 a shot or a bag of them for $5. All home made and delicious. There's even an app to track where he's at through the night (though I've never used it). I've talked to him a few times and he says that he clears about $100k a year doing it. I don't think there's any permits or anything involved, but he's a westside institution and he's met with literal cheers every now and then when he enters a bar. Red cooler. Not blue cooler guy. Blue cooler guy is a copycat and a pale imitation.

That guy's a legend! My friends tried to make a documentary about him once but he was like "nah."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life retirement.

I'd totally go for running a small business in my retirement as long as I could afford for it to fail. Some people can't stand to sit still. Others can't afford to.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm pretty sure there is a goon lawyer trying to get his taco truck viable because he'd rather make tacos for drunk people every night than keep practicing law.

But lawyer is probably one profession where opening a food business will mean working less hours and dealing with less stupid bullshit.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ashcans posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a goon lawyer trying to get his taco truck viable because he'd rather make tacos for drunk people every night than keep practicing law.

But lawyer is probably one profession where opening a food business will mean working less hours and dealing with less stupid bullshit.
Some of the "dealing with stupid bullshit" that comes with a food business is usually at least looked at by an attorney "Here's all of my permits and licenses, please make sure they are in order" so Lawyer Lunches / Tacos Attorney has a step ahead in dealing with the legalese bureaucratic mess because they can speak the language.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 9, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Mr. Nice, and I don't think he has taken the bar yet.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Which is worse, paying for a JD to go into the restaurant business, or paying a lot of money to not even graduate culinary school and then go into accounting?

27F Should I pursue a BA in Accounting or should I look into something else?

quote:

I am 27 with a culinary background. I didn't go to college right after high school. I fact I have spent all these years barely scraping by job hoping trying to find something better. Now I want to get my life straight and I think I would like to study accounting. I'm a good student, all A's and B's but I am not great with computers and my resume is crap. I want to study accounting because I have a genuine interest in learning finance and dedicating my life to becoming financially independent. I just went to my first personal finance class and now I'm freaking out. I'm overwhelmed with feeling like I'm so far behind in life where I need to be. I'm afraid of not finding a job because I will be graduating in my thirties with no experience. Can anyone tell me more about the profession and if it's logical for someone of my age and background to pursue it?
Edit: I have done some college. I waited 6 years after high school, then decided to go to culinary school. However I didn't finish my degree before deciding that it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I had been working in bakeries and restaurants before going back to school. So when I say that I am a good student, I base that off of past college experience. I realize that it gets harder and I'm sure that pretty much anything is going to be harder than culinary classes. But as far as general ed goes, I've done pretty well so far.

The comments are fairly decent at steering her in a good direction. Mostly because she put the thread in /accounting instead of /personalfinance

edit, and by "I waited 6 years after high school" I think she means she waited tables as a server for 6 years, which means she knows the restaurant well.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 9, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CannonFodder posted:

Which is worse, paying for a JD to go into the restaurant business, or paying a lot of money to not even graduate culinary school and then go into accounting?

27F Should I pursue a BA in Accounting or should I look into something else?

The comments are fairly decent at steering her in a good direction. Mostly because she put the thread in /accounting instead of /personalfinance

edit, and by "I waited 6 years after high school" I think she means she waited tables as a server for 6 years, which means she knows the restaurant well.
I don't get this. She screwed up big, she admitted she screwed up big, and she says she wants to turn her life around. If she had said law or medicine, then sure, that is stupid. But accounting seems reasonable enough.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Solice Kirsk posted:

One or both of them usually hit where I do bar trivia on Monday nights and I legitimately never noticed the red cooler/blue cooler difference, huh.

I've always wondered why there aren't more copycats around, it's a great setup and totally worth it. I'd probably buy his green salsa if he bottled it too, that stuff's great.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

As far as stable jobs you could certainly do a lot worse.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Solice Kirsk posted:

His name is Claudio Velez, and he is a pretty awesome guy: https://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago/tamale-man-chicago-dive-bars-claudio-velez-interview

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Getting a culinary degree is bad with money.

Source: I work at a top culinary college and kids have figured it out that its bad with money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Photex posted:

Getting a culinary degree is bad with money.

Source: I work at a top culinary college and kids have figured it out that its bad with money.

So much so that it's closing down once this set of students graduates? (At least, Le Cordon Bleu is out in a few years. They did the right thing given they aren't winding down in France, merely stopping new enrollments and this class gets to graduate.)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Our college saw the writing on the wall and hasn't been marketing itself as a cooking school for the past 6 years so we are ahead of the game with new programs etc etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

Turbo shares his favorite use for the tamales: “For breakfast, take the cheese ones, chop them up in a pan with some butter, put an egg, salsa, beans if you’ve got 'em, makes a great hash for the next day.”

I do this almost every morning if I get tamales the night before. Personally, I cook up some diced potatoes with a packet of sazon instead of beans.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6m5rkn/low_income_partner_has_broken_down_life_overhaul/

quote:

My partner is currently unable to work. She was earning around $13,000 per year. She has car payments of $1000 per month, I believe $15,000 remaining.

It's really too bad she's gonna have to sell that sweet Maserati....wait, what???

quote:

I believe it's a 2012 Subaru Forester

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6m5rkn/low_income_partner_has_broken_down_life_overhaul/

It's really too bad she's gonna have to sell that sweet Maserati....wait, what???

High interest rate due to bad credit, rolled in one or more underwater loans previously...surprisingly easy to do.

If you have good credit and are not an idiot with your finances you could get a BMW on a 60 month term for less than that...and a nice one at that. Whether that would make sense either is another story but 1k/month for a 5 year old Subaru: good god.

Used to make 13k/y and has 1k/month car payments, I mean...

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

H110Hawk posted:

Having a chat with a person next to me on the train and she told me that she wanted to move down near her son's farm in Temecula wine country, buy a pizza oven, and serve pizza on weekends in front of wineries and at the weddings he already hosts at the farm. This was hinging on a company in Colorado which will train you how to make pizza so long as you buy one of their $30,000 wood fired pizza ovens, which she wants to put on a trailer and tow around town bringing pizza to the masses.

I'm no pizza oven expert, but I feel like this is a thing you could get done for $10k. (Also ignoring all of the other business proposition problems here.)

A $30K pizza oven aside, San Diego County is cracking down on alcohol-related food service really hard right now. It's mostly aimed at breweries, but the laws would apply at wineries as well. Not doing research necessary to ensure the legal operation of your catering/food truck business is definitely BWM.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

High interest rate due to bad credit, rolled in one or more underwater loans previously...surprisingly easy to do.

I'm not sure it's surprisingly easy to do.......who gonna roll in more than double negative equity? So let's say it's a $30k 60 month loan. That puts the interest rate at 32% to make it a $1k payment. I'm not sure that's even legal.

Don't minimize how hard you have to try hard to achieve that kind of stupid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sorry for double post, but Reddit's got some good ones today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6m9f67/wild_debt_situation_my_life_was_changed_by_a_rule/

quote:

There was a grade replacement rule where I replaced 7 F grades from undergraduate with A's, but they got rid of that and my GPA dropped below the cutoff GPA for most schools.

My dilemma, I did not envision failure and took on $75,000 in debt plus 4 years of my life. I would have been successful had a rule not been changed with no announcement.

I would think it's pretty hard to not envision failure when your transcript looks like this: FFFFFFF

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure it's surprisingly easy to do.......who gonna roll in more than double negative equity? So let's say it's a $30k 60 month loan. That puts the interest rate at 32% to make it a $1k payment. I'm not sure that's even legal.

Don't minimize how hard you have to try hard to achieve that kind of stupid.

There are no federal usury laws in the US. :capitalism:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There are no federal usury laws in the US. :capitalism:

Federally, no. But many states have them. In mine it's 18% for anything under 2 years old and 21% otherwise.

So my "not sure that's even legal" is because we don't know what state that is and I sure don't know if there are any states without usury laws for that entirely or if any of them are that high.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Motronic posted:

Federally, no. But many states have them. In mine it's 18% for anything under 2 years old and 21% otherwise.

So my "not sure that's even legal" is because we don't know what state that is and I sure don't know if there are any states without usury laws for that entirely or if any of them are that high.

Supreme Court ruling in Marquette v Omaha basically defaults laws to the state the lending institution is in, so banks moved credit cards, auto loan subsidiaries to bank-friendly states like Delaware or South Dakota.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Sorry for double post, but Reddit's got some good ones today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6m9f67/wild_debt_situation_my_life_was_changed_by_a_rule/

I would think it's pretty hard to not envision failure when your transcript looks like this: FFFFFFF

I don't understand this. What kind of school just let you replace your F's?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

Marquette v Omaha

I wish I hadn't just looked that up.

How depressing.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

lostleaf posted:

Pretty common I think? If you retake the class and pay the tuition twice of course

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it's called a delete repeat where I have gone to school. You can only do it so many times.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

But if it was something like that, would they really go "lol jk" a couple of years later?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I suspect what actually happened is when he was trying to apply for medschools with his delete-repeated undergrad, the medschools all had policies to count ALL the grades on there, even ones that had been replaced.

Usually schools with a delete-repeat/overwrite/academic-amnesty policy mention that not every other institution will honor that policy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

lostleaf posted:

I failed a physics class first year undergrad at SFU because I was dumb and had it replaced with the grade from one I took at a later date.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
US MD schools never let you replace a grade. DO schools used to, but they recently changed their policy without any forewarning or grace period which is probably what this post is referring to. Pretty bullshit to be honest. I'm sure a lot of people such as the reddit poster wasted a bunch of time and money already retaking classes.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So now his only option is to go to med school in the Caribbean and the thread goes full circle :getin:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

They probably did him a favour in the long term. The chances of someone who failed 7 undergrad classes being able to cut the long slog through med school and residency is pretty low, and then he'd have way more than $75k in debt.

If your plan is to go to med school, you should probably prioritise classwork at least a little bit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Enfys posted:

They probably did him a favour in the long term. The chances of someone who failed 7 undergrad classes being able to cut the long slog through med school and residency is pretty low, and then he'd have way more than $75k in debt.

If your plan is to go to med school, you should probably prioritise classwork at least a little bit.
Yeah, and

potatoducks posted:

US MD schools never let you replace a grade. DO schools used to, but they recently changed their policy without any forewarning or grace period which is probably what this post is referring to. Pretty bullshit to be honest. I'm sure a lot of people such as the reddit poster wasted a bunch of time and money already retaking classes.
DO schools have a reputation as "medical school, only more lenient"(they're usually the same education with a token amount of osteopathy bullshit to qualify it as a DO instead of an MD), so it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to tighten things up a bit.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Enfys posted:

I know a number of people who hosed up big in college before getting their poo poo together and becoming great physicians. It's one thing if you just can't handle the workload. It's another if you just got a bit too crazy with your newfound freedom early on before growing up and deciding to do something with your life.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Now I want to retake some classes to boost my lovely undergraduate GPA.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If I ever want to get a masters I absolutely have to take more classes to raise my GPA. Or I can go to WGU or some other online degree. It sucks because 20 year old me was a mega shithead at school and 30 year old me would be far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Some schools have "academic renewals" too. After x years out of school you can drop all your Fs presumably for that exact reason.

Again, YMMV on whether your new school allows that.