Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Buca di Bepis posted:

The President of the United States is for real talking about cooperating with Russia on sharing our nation's network security efforts holy poo poo what is happening and why is half the country overjoyed at this

It's almost like we elected a russian puppet to be our chief head of state and the republican party is a bunch of a greedy bootlickers that are either similarly corrupted by Russia or just flat out corrupted by domestic oligarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would also speculate that more than half the country is not enthused about this. I would say that probably 30-40% of this country is so disconnected they have no idea it's going on. This is due to ignorance, apathy, disenfranchisement, or any other myriad of reasons.

Roughly 50% of the voting population is engaged. Of that, around 20% are diehard republicans. Of them, a number of them aren't too happy about this however they are content enough with winning (tax cuts for the wealthy) that they don't give a gently caress and acquiesce.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

More and more the only way I think we'll ever get anything approaching decent cybersecurity is to start holding software "engineers" and IT professionals to the same rigorous standards we hold the engineers building the rest of our infrastructure.

Electrical and mechanical engineers are the people responsible for pretty much all of the problems with critical infrastructure cybersecurity right now. They're the loving people who designed the systems.

Like literally every ICS network that I've worked on has been managed by electrical and mechanical engineers, not network engineers or security engineers. They usually have no idea what they're doing and view it more as a nuisance that distracts them from the rest of their job. Which is true, because it shouldn't BE their job.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 9, 2017

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, my daddy loves me so much he lets me take his place at the table during big important meetings and lets me pretend I'm an Important World Leader and not the beneficiary of egregious nepotism!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.1f2a099c51b0

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Imagine if every other country that lacked viable employment options and saw its citizens attempting to emigrate to the US instead starting electing snake oil dictators who explained that this was everyone else's fault.

What I'm saying is in 20 years Americans will be hopping Canadian fences desperately seeking to sling Tim Hortons and harvest maple syrup.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

Electrical and mechanical engineers are the people responsible for pretty much all of the problems with critical infrastructure cybersecurity right now. They're the loving people who designed the systems.

Like literally every ICS network that I've worked on has been managed by electrical and mechanical engineers, not network engineers or security engineers. They usually have no idea what they're doing and view it more as a nuisance that distracts them from the rest of their job. Which is true, because it shouldn't BE their job.

What sold me on this was attending last year's SANS ICS summit and listening to the keynote speaker basically give up on fixing the problem and focus on mitigation for the next couple of generations of releases.

It isn't the bean counters, it's that the "cybersecurity" experts that have been hired the last ~15 years only qualifications are the big 3 C certifications that they fudged experience for by saying "I went to Army" or "I was a state trooper", and their primary focus is on bullshitting regulatory compliance so they can get the maximum bonus rating year after year. Also they usually have 9 months as a "consultant" which was basically selling managed services.

The guys and gals who knew their poo poo started in the 70s and largely never made it to management, they're all retiring now and you have a swath of idiotic script fiddlers who don't know the basic foundations of their halfasses Qualys scanning suite or network backbones.

Massive YosPost, yeah- but I started teaching a cyber course at a university adjacent to a huge AFB and its massively depressing how many people I have enrolled who dont know how to do basic network poo poo, but are being recruited for critical roles in private industry after their term is up.

We're hosed unless we start forcing these people to learn their fundamentals and use common sense instead of a Verizon assessment or another loving scanning suite.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would also speculate that more than half the country is not enthused about this. I would say that probably 30-40% of this country is so disconnected they have no idea it's going on. This is due to ignorance, apathy, disenfranchisement, or any other myriad of reasons.

Roughly 50% of the voting population is engaged. Of that, around 20% are diehard republicans. Of them, a number of them aren't too happy about this however they are content enough with winning (tax cuts for the wealthy) that they don't give a gently caress and acquiesce.

Outrage fatigue also could play a role. I know I've mostly checked out of politics for the last few months from the number of scandals, hosed up decisions and sheer incompetence that just does not stop...which I guess is the goal. I'm not ignoring the situation, but I have to step back just to keep from becoming one of these people (or even worse, a D&D poster)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hey don't forget donnie dumbfuck asked putin TWICE about election meddling, man's not gonna let anyone walk all over him

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884012097805406208

he really is the dumbest man alive

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He's not as dumb as the people who believed in him enough to elect him.

He's not very smart, but not as dumb as we'd all like to think.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Because for 20 years nobody would pay anyone to do security, or would pay the added capital investment in security to begin with. Today the few companies hiring engineers to work on security are finding that the cost of updating 30 years of equipment to support a security requirement to be too expensive. So the engineers hired to focus on security make plans for replacing equipment 10 years from now when it's due anyway.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

Then you get a cybergrover who signs off anyway.

a PE's stamp is a little different than someone getting a licensed to inspect homes.

vains fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 9, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

a PE's stamp is a little different than someone getting a licensed to inspect homes.

Only during/after an investigation.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

He's not as dumb as the people who believed in him enough to elect him.

Let's not forget that a large percentage of those people still support him.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Holy balls.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/politics/trump-russia-kushner-manafort.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

quote:

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton

President Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., was promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton before agreeing to meet with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign, according to three advisers to the White House briefed on the meeting and two others with knowledge of it.

The meeting was also attended by his campaign chairman at the time, Paul J. Manafort, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner only recently disclosed the meeting, though not its content, in confidential government documents described to The New York Times.

The Times reported the existence of the meeting on Saturday. But in subsequent interviews, the advisers and others revealed the motivation behind it.

The meeting — at Trump Tower on June 9, 2016, two weeks after Donald J. Trump clinched the Republican nomination — points to the central question in federal investigations of the Kremlin’s meddling in the presidential election: whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. The accounts of the meeting represent the first public indication that at least some in the campaign were willing to accept Russian help.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

On the one hand :catstare: on the other nothing matters

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Two Finger posted:

On the one hand :catstare: on the other nothing matters

Oh absolutely nothing matters. It's just another jigsaw piece in the biggest puzzle question currently out there: which trump son is the smart one again?

quote:

In a statement on Sunday, Donald Trump Jr. said he had met with the Russian lawyer at the request of an acquaintance. “After pleasantries were exchanged,” he said, “the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Ms. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information.”

He said she then turned the conversation to adoption of Russian children and the Magnitsky Act, an American law that blacklists suspected Russian human rights abusers. The law so enraged Mr. Putin that he retaliated by halting American adoptions of Russian children.

“It became clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting.” Mr. Trump said.

(it's Jared)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Buca di Bepis posted:

The President of the United States is for real talking about cooperating with Russia on sharing our nation's network security efforts holy poo poo what is happening and why is half the country overjoyed at this

I've been listening to Christian radio lately and...

Russia:
  • As conservative as you'd like America to be
  • Pisses off liberals
Trump:
  • Proud of Americans and America
  • Doesn't apologize for America

Just imagine half the country's high 24/7

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Two Finger posted:

hey don't forget donnie dumbfuck asked putin TWICE about election meddling, man's not gonna let anyone walk all over him

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884012097805406208

he really is the dumbest man alive

Merkin Muffley was better at dealing with the Russians jfc

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Reverand maynard posted:

yeah you just have to let them know upfront you're not a violent drunk and their panties drop

My dad married a Russian mail-order bride when I was 15 and this is 100% accurate. She said if the man doesn't beat you and doesn't drink, he's an automatic keeper.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I thought it was that if you didn't drink and beat your Russian wife, she'd never respect you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sergg posted:

My dad married a Russian mail-order bride when I was 15 and this is 100% accurate. She said if the man doesn't beat you and doesn't drink, he's an automatic keeper.

can they settle for half?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i think there is a different between "has some beer and occasionally gets pretty drunk" versus "i'm drinking MiG19 coolant daily its the only way I can get drunk" drinking

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

Only during/after an investigation.

not really. getting your professional engineer license is like passing the bar or the cpa exam. in some fields, its irrelevant and nobody bothers. in others, its one of the most important things you'll do to advance your career.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

Merkin Muffley was better at dealing with the Russians jfc

"Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?"

"Of course I like to speak to you! Of course I like to say hello!"

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

He has the best "People Also Searched For" category ever:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Somehow I'm only now fully realizing what a silly name Merkin Muffley is

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

aphid_licker posted:

Somehow I'm only now fully realizing what a silly name Merkin Muffley is

The character names were genital puns.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
rip impenetrable Cyber Security unit

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/884213979383566336

you lasted a whole 13 hours

Edit: Bonus https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/884039167344234497

Honestly though, the simplest explanation to Donald Trump is that the motherfucker just says poo poo. Not much more to really analyze past that point, he just says poo poo.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 10, 2017

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Every new outrageous revelation reminds me of the feeling I get on the odd occasion that I buy a lotto ticket. I know I'm not going to win, but it's fun to daydream for a few minutes about a giant jackpot.

Similarly I read news and for a few minutes imagine that Bob Mueller is busy tailoring orange jumpsuits for so many fuckers.

Then reality sets in because nothing matters and I remind myself to stop at the liquor store on my way home. Maybe I'll buy another lotto ticket with my gin.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Thelonious posted:

Every new outrageous revelation reminds me of the feeling I get on the odd occasion that I buy a lotto ticket. I know I'm not going to win, but it's fun to daydream for a few minutes about a giant jackpot.

Similarly I read news and for a few minutes imagine that Bob Mueller is busy tailoring orange jumpsuits for so many fuckers.

Then reality sets in because nothing matters and I remind myself to stop at the liquor store on my way home. Maybe I'll buy another lotto ticket with my gin.

this is actually a really good post because hell, same

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe today i'll see sanity prevail and not watch the downfall of my country :unsmith:

:smith:

take that liberals

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thelonious posted:

2017 in a nutshell, thread done right here.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Then you get a cybergrover who signs off anyway.

Really? Really? I mean...don't people realize that taking the easy/lazy/cheap way out essentially GUARANTEES via karma (the force that powers this entire storybook that we are a part of forward) that your system/stuff will be hacked. By not listening and taking into consideration the requests of the qualified individuals who are telling you what needs to be done to make things secure, you are essentially telling the world you wish for more $ at the expense of security, a stable work environment for you, your company and employees, peace of mind, etc..

Why do people do this? Is everyone stupid? Have we all just been mind controlled with this stupid nonsense since time immemorial? And why is it ALL getting dumped now, everywhere I look. Stuff getting revealed on forums, the online communities I frequent. Is this some kind of thing stipulated in a new-multiverse contract that must be done before the new universe/multiverse can be created? I mean everyone's dirty laundry is getting aired...often by people with names involving Demon, Angel, etc.

I'm sure I miss a lot of patterns and esoteric signals - but there sure seem to be a lot out there I feel that I'm picking up on. Is it a joke? A dream? A gag? Is horse Jesus going to come down here and save us all?

Without an amazing sense of humor, none of us will survive with our minds tact.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You're talking to one of the 20M+ people who had everything in OPM's files downloaded by China a couple of years ago. I say these things for reasons, most of the time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sunset posted:

Why do people do this? Is everyone stupid?

Pretty much it's a combination of old people at the top not knowing any better but erring on the side of not spending money and them not thinking that they're gonna get penetrated because they have top of the line* stuff. At least in my experience.

*bought and updated circa 2000.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

You're talking to one of the 20M+ people who had everything in OPM's files downloaded by China a couple of years ago. I say these things for reasons, most of the time.

yeah same, I was like hesitant to get windows 10 because it "spied" or whatever then someone mentioned that and it was kinda like gently caress it my shits gone who cares

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We can have all the physical security needed, all the training needed, and all the procedures in place, but it just won't stop that weirdo nearing retirement from clicking on the link in a chain email or the agency from outsourcing to an outsourcer to cut costs.

The OPM thing was both infuriating and hilarious at the same time, but that was with a fully functional and competent government. It'll be fun to find out what worse fuckup happens next.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe we should team up with the russians to stop these russian hackers?!??!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fight Russians with Russians! It's brilliant!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I worked for a large financial firm that, despite having a huge dedicated information security department and selling that fact to its clients, caved to the individual computer demands of every executive. We're talking local admin with non-expiring passwords of "password", here. I walked away from that job firmly believing that people over a certain age are unable to grasp what the internet really is and cannot fathom an intangible thing affecting the material world. Cyber security is seen as an expense, and when a breach happens it's treated the same way somebody sneaking past physical security would be- that somebody wasn't doing their job, so they look for an individual (someone in the IS department, not the dumbass that fell for the fishing email) to blame.

I switched my career path from security to just normal sys admin stuff because it's so depressing to work somewhere that has the means to do a decent job of protecting themselves but won't because they're unwilling or unable to say "NO" to some old men. I cannot even begin the fathom what the US government situation must be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arven posted:

I worked for a large financial firm that, despite having a huge dedicated information security department and selling that fact to its clients, caved to the individual computer demands of every executive. We're talking local admin with non-expiring passwords of "password", here. I walked away from that job firmly believing that people over a certain age are unable to grasp what the internet really is and cannot fathom an intangible thing affecting the material world. Cyber security is seen as an expense, and when a breach happens it's treated the same way somebody sneaking past physical security would be- that somebody wasn't doing their job, so they look for an individual (someone in the IS department, not the dumbass that fell for the fishing email) to blame.

I switched my career path from security to just normal sys admin stuff because it's so depressing to work somewhere that has the means to do a decent job of protecting themselves but won't because they're unwilling or unable to say "NO" to some old men. I cannot even begin the fathom what the US government situation must be like.

There's no gain in saying no after pushing back though - you'll just be fired and someone that wants to keep their job will do it.

• Locked thread