Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Lol I dunno some people get weird as gently caress about it

Ed: and it's not as though the sheer weirdness of spoiler culture has gone unnoticed by various commentators.

The people who are weird are the people who get hyper-aggressive and angry about that some people don't want to know plot points in advance and try to pretend like they're entirely pure and innocent when every argument they make boils down to "but *I* want to."

People enjoy media in different ways. The fact that you're entirely incapable of understanding that is a hell of a lot weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The people who are weird are the people who get hyper-aggressive and angry about that some people don't want to know plot points in advance and try to pretend like they're entirely pure and innocent when every argument they make boils down to "but *I* want to."

People enjoy media in different ways. The fact that you're entirely incapable of understanding that is a hell of a lot weirder.

We post in a lot of the same threads so you should already know for a fact that I'm very studious about respecting other people's positions on spoilers regardless of whether or not I feel the same way as they do.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The second half of Encounters in Space really feels like some weird acid dream or something. I know part of that is due to it being adapted from a portion of the series that was cut short and rewritten, but they get really, really in your face about Newtype stuff. Like the first two movies more or less just suggest "yeah, Newtypes, possibly a thing, we dunno, seems true", and then the last is like "FUCKIN' SPACE AURORAS AND poo poo" and "flat out psychic powers".

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

The second half of Encounters in Space really feels like some weird acid dream or something. I know part of that is due to it being adapted from a portion of the series that was cut short and rewritten, but they get really, really in your face about Newtype stuff. Like the first two movies more or less just suggest "yeah, Newtypes, possibly a thing, we dunno, seems true", and then the last is like "FUCKIN' SPACE AURORAS AND poo poo" and "flat out psychic powers".

It's even more sudden in the tv show, where newtypes aren't mentioned at all until like two thirds of the way through.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

Greetings, and welcome to story telling by Tomino.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

that is pretty much how I felt about the ending of char's counterattack

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What's hilarious is that I knew most of this stuff existed, having experienced it in various forms and snippets. What I'd never done is experienced it so directly, and I guess I had somehow assumed that there was downtime or something, or at least characters not literally standing around and randomly awakening to psychic powers out of loving nowhere. I think by the end of the movie the only people who hadn't had Newtype flashes of some type were Bright and Hayato. It almost seemed like the story was saying that ANYONE can be a Newtype, and that it isn't birth that causes it, it's exposure to space and stress or something, but it's just so weird.

Like, I'm almost convinced Lalah wasn't a Newtype, she was taking so many recreational hallucinogenics that simply being around her gave Amuro and Char contact highs.

Yes, even through space.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Certainly explains the Axis Shock and Full Frontal's magic carpet ride. Banagher's crystal meth Unicorn.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Kurui Reiten posted:

What's hilarious is that I knew most of this stuff existed, having experienced it in various forms and snippets. What I'd never done is experienced it so directly, and I guess I had somehow assumed that there was downtime or something, or at least characters not literally standing around and randomly awakening to psychic powers out of loving nowhere. I think by the end of the movie the only people who hadn't had Newtype flashes of some type were Bright and Hayato. It almost seemed like the story was saying that ANYONE can be a Newtype, and that it isn't birth that causes it, it's exposure to space and stress or something, but it's just so weird.

I'm sure someone here told me that Tomino has said that the intent of the original ending was that everybody on White Base was awakening as a Newtype and it was only later that they changed it to a thing you're born as or not.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Most Gundam series make way more sense if everyone is on drugs. Except G-Gundam because it's high on life!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I'm sure someone here told me that Tomino has said that the intent of the original ending was that everybody on White Base was awakening as a Newtype and it was only later that they changed it to a thing you're born as or not.

That's correct. The novel adaptation of Gundam basically ends up with White Base as a crew entirely of Newtypes which is why it's such a significant force. They also all join Zeon except Kai.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

what exactly is the reason for them to do that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

what exactly is the reason for them to do that

"The Federation are a bunch of corrupt shits who are oppressing everyone + we killed all the Zabis."

However it's pretty bluntly stated that it's not the correct answer, as Kai goes back to the Federation, Char pretty clearly starts down the road to corruption, and the last thing we're told about the state of the world is that the Spacenoids have started oppressing those on Earth and calling them Moles and that another war is probably inevitable. It's a pretty bitter ending.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"The Federation are a bunch of corrupt shits who are oppressing everyone + we killed all the Zabis."

However it's pretty bluntly stated that it's not the correct answer, as Kai goes back to the Federation, Char pretty clearly starts down the road to corruption, and the last thing we're told about the state of the world is that the Spacenoids have started oppressing those on Earth and calling them Moles and that another war is probably inevitable. It's a pretty bitter ending.

Also Amuro is dead and Kai wants Sayla's pubic hair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Also Amuro is dead and Kai wants Sayla's pubic hair.

Now now, Amuro is the one who wanted Sayla's public hair. Kai merely lamented that lacking it killed Amuro.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Now now, Amuro is the one who wanted Sayla's public hair. Kai merely lamented that lacking it killed Amuro.

It's been a while since I read it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

It's been a while since I read it.

It's important to get the facts right so you understand why Amuro died.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amuro~~~

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I always liked the especially crazy newtype stuff coming out of the left field and just getting in your face right at the end. It really gives you the feeling that these wars are really making the world go out at the seams.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This was linked from the sadly inactive Gundam Pilots Smoking Weed tumblr but I'm having a tough time figuring out how it relates to Gundam. Is it "Encounters in Space" or something else. Supposedly the shirt is referenced in the background of one of the Origin manga, but the shirt itself is supposed to be a reference to something else.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
checked out the gundam versus site and i guess they have most (all?) of the suits listed now

https://g-versus.ggame.jp/ms_stage/ms/

no zogok, no alex, no g-gundam suits, but there are 2 kapools!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I just wanna play as Big Zam :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh hey, Big Zam!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuvo posted:

checked out the gundam versus site and i guess they have most (all?) of the suits listed now

Oh poo poo yeah, definitely want that Lupus. Choosing to include the Barbatos Fourth Form and the Trooper is a little bit weird, though - they're from different stages of the show. The regular Kimaris would make more sense.

Also, play gold SUMOs all day everyday, and Corin's weird-rear end custom Kapool showing up is goddamned hilarious.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuvo posted:

I still can't believe that we are finally getting a versus series in the west. We haven't gotten one in like 15 years.

This and an English non-og SRW makes 2017 an amazing year.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am slightly curious to see if they will just differentiate the gundams or also those who are piloting it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Looking forwaed to wrecking poo poo with Barbatos and Tallgeese.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
No Hy-Gogg, no Buy-Gogg

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Don't know why people are saying there's no G Gundam, Doan is right there.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Couple things

- I'm a few episodes into IBO and I dig it, but this harem stuff is the absolute dumbest poo poo

- the first episode of Turn-A was great; is it overall good?

- Which is better, 00 or Seed to watch next? Are both worth watching?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

00s1 is cool and worth watching, s2 is ok (I liked it but it became a lot more run of the mill)
Seed is fine if somewhat bland, Destiny is where it really goes to poo poo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Couple things

- I'm a few episodes into IBO and I dig it, but this harem stuff is the absolute dumbest poo poo

Turn A Gundam is the best TV anime Gundam and my personal favorite, definitely give it a watch.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Droyer posted:

Turn A Gundam is the best TV anime Gundam and my personal favorite, definitely give it a watch.

The world building and art style just in the one episode was incredibly my poo poo

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I'd say while 00S1 is watchable and starts off strong, it plateaus pretty soon after and starts to go downhill in the last third. SEED is just a middling modern retelling of MSG. IBO is a good show with a few weakspots and Turn A is fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Couple things

If you don't like the harem stuff in IBO now you're not going to change your mind later on. It's a show that unironically supports full-on harem relationships.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Couple things

Turn A is the only show in this post that doesn't collapse into a smoldering mess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Turn-A Gundam is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXu72--oddE

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Turn A has action pack scenes dedicated to laundry. Its good. There is a good baker boy and a good reporter girl.

IBO is ok because it has Gaelio but otherwise its just a mess of a show.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I liked IBO for what it is, but even as a person with non monogomous sexual politics I thought the harem stuff was presented in an uncomfortable way and it's very much a blemish on the show.

The rest of the problems boil down to pacing and missed opportunity which are the big standard issues in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

IBO good and cool things:

- World/setting
- Akihiro, Orga and Biscuit

Bad things:

- Mecha design on the non Barbatos MS is total trash
- Harem weirdness
-McGill's child bride???????