Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aw man, I can't believe that this game falls apart right after the intro. It's Eyes of Heaven all over again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
As much as I like the game, this is THE low point of the game as far as I'm concerned. This also made me not like Yusuke very much.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

There's a few spots in the game where I'm 90% sure they changed the plot/characters/game mechanics after writing something, and never went back and updated it to match what they wrote later. This is one of them.

More or less. Yusuke only ever acts like this in this early part and some of the animated cutscenes and its really, really weird.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, this entire episode is a huge pile of ridiculously terrible ideas. Wow. So let's see, we've got..

- Set up the sexual abuse victim to unwillingly pose nude
- Pointlessly threaten/verbally assault a possible victim
- Reveal secret identities to a former target
- Move secret headquarters for discussing secret stuff into a high traffic public location

That's a serious amount of dumbass in a short time.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

McFetusBurger posted:

I defended the game with the kamoshida and creepy fixation on Anne before as being a portrayal of how girls are often treated in the gaming world, but this update tells me they weren't that clever. Is the Japanese version as bad or is this some weird localisation thing?

It's Japan. Of course the original version was just as bad. What kind of question is that?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, the game gets good again not too much later but I could never really "forgive" Yusuke, even with the writers really being at fault.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, the game gets good again not too much later but I could never really "forgive" Yusuke, even with the writers really being at fault.

That's because the writers are always at fault. Characters don't exist outside of their circumstances, and treating them as 'real' requires temporarily ignoring the fact that some guy behind a keyboard set up their every action. If a character acts like a poo poo, it's fair to drop it on them, even if the writers change tack as they go.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The only saving grace is that Yusuke (or at least as he is written), is not doing this for any sexual reasons

but blackmail is still not very charming

there is one more lowpoint in the story, but no
the game does not fall apart

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

That's because the writers are always at fault. Characters don't exist outside of their circumstances, and treating them as 'real' requires temporarily ignoring the fact that some guy behind a keyboard set up their every action. If a character acts like a poo poo, it's fair to drop it on them, even if the writers change tack as they go.
Yes, thank you. I am very aware. My point was that I know that intellectually, but being as invested in the game as I was, emotionally, I put that on Yusuke as a character, rather than as a part of the whole.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes, thank you. I am very aware. My point was that I know that intellectually, but being as invested in the game as I was, emotionally, I put that on Yusuke as a character, rather than as a part of the whole.

I was just saying that it was entirely reasonable.

Sorry if I sounded like I was disagreeing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I was just saying that it was entirely reasonable.

Sorry if I sounded like I was disagreeing.
No worries. Online it's not at all weird for me to have arguments that happen because me and someone are just talking past each other.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Yusuke might have been less aggressive if Ann brought up the Kamoshida case, but his artistic sensibilities would still call for the modeling gigs. It probably works both ways, Ann not being fully aware of how nude modeling works in context.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I heard about this bad scene ahead of time, but for some reason I thought that the game would force Ann into nude modeling before you could clear the palace.

Either way, I can't wait until we update past this bullshit.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
(spoilers that aren't really spoilers about the bad ending) Well, no matter what you do, if you run out the clock the game over you get is the same. There's no situation where Ann is actually forced to do the painting.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
There are a lot of cringeworthy moments in the Persona series and this is definitely one of them. I guess it's up to the audience if the rest of the writing makes up for the really gross bits.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I like Yusuke.

But this is definitely a really uncomfortable and weird scene.

Of course, it's more accurate to say Yusuke grew on me. I didn't really like him all that much because he's doing a lot of unacceptable stuff. Like stalking, blackmailing us to get Ann to model for him.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

dragon_pamcake posted:

There are a lot of cringeworthy moments in the Persona series and this is definitely one of them. I guess it's up to the audience if the rest of the writing makes up for the really gross bits.

I would like to forget that cross-dressing competition or whatever it was from Persona 4. I dunno if it's gross, but it's really unfunny, feels like it takes forever, and stops the story dead in its tracks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Solitair posted:

I would like to forget that cross-dressing competition or whatever it was from Persona 4. I dunno if it's gross, but it's really unfunny, feels like it takes forever, and stops the story dead in its tracks.

that whole day is just a mess

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Solitair posted:

:same:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Solitair posted:

I'm glad that I've only seen the P4 anime because I thought it was a relatively funny part of that.

I was also weirded out a bit by Yusuke in this bit but it does lead on to what I find is one of the funniest bits of the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Solitair posted:

Wasn't that day supposed to be part of a culture festival?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It was, but it dragged on forever relative to the rest of the festival.

The whole "teehee, boys crossdressing, isn't that hilarious?" also felt really out of place in a game where two main characters were struggling with their gender/sexuality because they didn't fit in with the expected gender roles.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah the Culture Festival in P4 feels really weird and out of place. I love P4 to death even if it makes a lot of mistakes in its portrayal of gender issues (and I don't mean inaccuracies, I mean bad decisions). Like, Kanji's one of my favorite characters ever, I totally see what they were going for, and I'll even defend it, but the game kind of baits you into thinking it's gonna be about sexuality when it's really about gender roles, and there's probably some steps they could have taken to lessen that bummer.

What I'm trying to say though is that even there it feels like Persona 4 was trying, and you never get that feeling with some of those comedic scenes, especially everything around the culture festival, which is just a cavalcade of fuckups, petty retribution, everyone being assholes to each other, and weird, outdated gender politics.

Update incoming, btw, it's short because I couldn't figure out a good way to break up the next one, which is over twice as long.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Not a big fan of the culture festival either. Mystery Food X was also another one that I cringe at every time I hear about it and...lets be honest, the ending to THAT particular arc was really bad too. At least (for the most part) the anime adaptation (Specially the dub, god drat it Yu has a sexy voice in the dub) played the culture festival for laughs...then the cross-dressing/swimsuit contests came up and I wanted to shoot myself again.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Arist posted:

Yeah the Culture Festival in P4 feels really weird and out of place. I love P4 to death even if it makes a lot of mistakes in its portrayal of gender issues (and I don't mean inaccuracies, I mean bad decisions). Like, Kanji's one of my favorite characters ever, I totally see what they were going for, and I'll even defend it, but the game kind of baits you into thinking it's gonna be about sexuality when it's really about gender roles, and there's probably some steps they could have taken to lessen that bummer.

What I'm trying to say though is that even there it feels like Persona 4 was trying, and you never get that feeling with some of those comedic scenes, especially everything around the culture festival, which is just a cavalcade of fuckups, petty retribution, everyone being assholes to each other, and weird, outdated gender politics.

Update incoming, btw, it's short because I couldn't figure out a good way to break up the next one, which is over twice as long.

They probably do it because the vast majority of players never got the point, thus cater to them too. They never understood that Kanji isn't gay, Naoto doesn't really want to be a man, and the fox isn't an infant demigod or some nonsense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 30: 5/18-5/19: The Most Adorable Stalker

Let’s just forget about the last update’s unpleasantness.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Come on, it’s time to get this mission started!

Cool detail here: the “Mission Start” logo casts a barely-visible shadow in the lower-right corner.

Um, what? This sounds like an annoying complication. I have to leave in the middle of a Palace infiltration?

But let’s just leave for now.

That’s all for today?

Everyone knows whatever’s been on TV. You could talk about the Madarame exhibit. Some witty wordplay, maybe an impersonation could work too. Just get their attention first, OK?

loving impressions? What, are you going to pick up chicks by appearing on SNL? These are the lamest pick-up artists ever.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Hey, not so loud. He’s been showing up pretty regularly, so it looks like he’ll be sticking around.
I see, so is the thing about him having a criminal record not true, then?
I don’t know, I’m too scared to ask. Anyway, it’s probably best not to get too involved with him.

Looks like we’re still not gonna make many new friends here.

Y-Yes…! Kamoshida tricked people into thinking he was a hero, but he wasn’t! Oh, and don’t tell anyone my true identity. No one can know that I’m a Phantom Thief!

This dude owns.

Over on the first floor, we find… Uh...

...Excuse me for a moment, let’s move somewhere a little less crowded.

...Yeah, okay, she’s definitely following us while pretending to be reading that book.

I had heard you were quite the troublemaker, but you seem to be behaving yourself.

You are adorably bad at this.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

Has anyone ever studied the correlation between the rise in temperature and weirdos…? So, what are you here for today?

...Looks like I have a patient with an emergency.

I’ve heard rumors about this place. I’d like for you to examine her. She was diagnosed with bronchitis, but the medicine she was given hasn’t been working at all. She has a fever that won’t go away, and she’s losing weight because she’s not hungry…
A young girl losing weight is definitely not good. You should go to a bigger hospital. I can’t provide a thorough examination here.
We’ve been going to a big hospital! A university hospital in East Shinjuku! But all they tell us is that it’s persistent bronchitis…!

Music: Suspicion

The doctor there performs exams like he’s on an assembly line. I think he’s famous or something…
A famous doctor, huh…? I’m just a general practicioner out here in the sticks. As you can see, I don’t even have any staff.
W-Wait! I’ve heard there’s a medicine that can only be acquired here…!

Back off, pal. I was here for that sweet, sweet panacea long before you were.

Please! I’ll pay you! Please, at least just examine her!

*cough* *cough* Doctor… My chest really hurts...
……

Doctor…!
*sigh* ...Fine.

Is your vision blurry? How about your throat, does it hurt…? Hm. No signs of swelling. (To the father) Are you sure you’ve told me everything about her symptoms and treatments you’ve tried so far?
Yes, I’m sure!
Hmmm...

This is likely a reference to the Devil Social Link from Persona 4, who was a nurse named Sayoko Uehara.

There’s something I’d like to ask him about a case that was in last month’s medical journal.

Takemi puts the phone away.

I see. Guess the ones in stock will have to do...

You’ll need to help me administer the medicine. Also, bring the beaker with the red label in the fridge, a towel, was basin, and measuring spoon...

*nods*

Music: Butterfly Kiss

It was a very unique strain of an infectious disease. It can’t be detected by conventional exams. I temporarily suppressed the symptoms. We’ll make adjustments as her condition improves. OK, that’ll be one million yen for today.

A-A million yen…!? Th-That’s outrageous! You’re completely taking advantage of… …… I mean, all right… I agreed to pay. You don’t… take credit cards… do you? I’ll go withdraw some cash right now!

*nods*
By the way, that famous doctor you mentioned earlier… Was it Medical Chief of Staff Oyamada?
Yes… are you familiar with him?
...I knew it. In that case, I’ll make this free of charge.

F-Free!?
...Hehe.

...By the way, thanks to your outburst earlier… I’m going to perform a very special exam on you today...

So, is he your… assistant? He seems awfully young...
Yes, my assistant… guinea pig. He’s about to put in a LOT of hard work today. Aren’t you?

Please help me.

It feels like my bond with Takemi is growing even deeper...

Um, Doctor…? Can I go back to school now?
Not for a while. You need to start eating and regain your strength first. Can you do that for me?
Yes! Thank you, Doctor!
Don’t mention it…

Maybe you won’t even be able to make it home...

I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts...

Maaku gains Guts +1.

OK, good work today.

Music: Beneath the Mask

Shut up Morgana, we can’t do that yet.

...Another box came for you.
...What did you get?

Recently, personal info stored by several domestic companies was decrypted and leaked online. Hundreds of thousands of people’s info is believed to be leaked, and many are voicing their anxiety. According to experts, there is a high chance that an international group of hackers is involved...
So someone stole all that personal information about all those people…? Wow.

The world’s hosed up. There’s no joke here, only the quiet dread of having to continue to interact with this hellfucked species for yet another day.

Whaaat? But I want to watch TV. There’s a special on that guy they call a “Detective Prince,” Akechi.
It’ll still be on the news. You can watch at home. That pretty boy’s been on TV a lot lately. You can see his face any time, actually. Well, thanks for the coffee.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

This taste…

...The flavor profile is bland. You should practice more to bring out the roast’s full potential.

poo poo

You see a lot of different customers come through when you have a cafe like this. Even if someone looks like trouble, I’ll serve them the same cup of coffee I serve everyone else. That’s my job. I have pride in what I do. You’re like a customer, too. One that takes a tremendous amount of effort. You have the potential, so keep training.

Aww…

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

...I hope you understand.

What’s there to understand? You’re blackmailing us so my friend will get naked for you. Simple.

I warn you. Don’t involve yourself any further.

Don’t play dumb. I’m saying you’re an inconvenience. I won’t forgive you if you continue making a mockery of my sensei. Am I clear? This is a warning.

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

It looks kinda dumb...

I didn’t realize you could actually examine this until I tried again.

But today’s the day. Let’s head into the Palace… next time, because it’s gonna be really long and I couldn’t find a good place to split that update up to include part of it in this one.

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 28, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Makoto trying to stalk you is one of my favorite details in this game. :allears: She, uh, also can't turn around properly! The video is from about two in-game weeks later than where the LP currently is and doesn't really spoil anything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The best part is that you generally don't see it coming until it happens to you and it is adorable.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I forgot that it happened this early, sure surprised me

from this point forward, I couldnt dislike her no matter what

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
So at what point can we just say "You know what, Yusuke? You're a big boy. You can handle your own problems. We'll forget all about that conversation the other day. Bother Ann again, and Madarame's gonna have fun figuring out what to do with a pupil with two loving broken hands?"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ChaosArgate posted:

Makoto trying to stalk you is one of my favorite details in this game. :allears: She, uh, also can't turn around properly! The video is from about two in-game weeks later than where the LP currently is and doesn't really spoil anything.

It really is just adorable.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ChaosArgate posted:

She was just drifting.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Snorb posted:

So at what point can we just say "You know what, Yusuke? You're a big boy. You can handle your own problems. We'll forget all about that conversation the other day. Bother Ann again, and Madarame's gonna have fun figuring out what to do with a pupil with two loving broken hands?"

Never, because we're cunning and mysterious Phantom Thieves who outwit our opponents, not vulgar and unimaginative thugs who threaten them with crude physical violence.

Also, we're kinda still under probation, and even with Ann and Ryuji vouching for us, I somehow doubt the police are going to take the word of a kid who's already been arrested for assault before over the word of a world famous artist with tons of connections and his student with two broken hands. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So how is this blackmail supposed to work? It's not like he can accuse you of trespassing now.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Never, because we're cunning and mysterious Phantom Thieves who outwit our opponents, not vulgar and unimaginative thugs who threaten them with crude physical violence.

Also, we're kinda still under probation, and even with Ann and Ryuji vouching for us, I somehow doubt the police are going to take the word of a kid who's already been arrested for assault before over the word of a world famous artist with tons of connections and his student with two broken hands. :v:

Fair enough, but Yusuke's pretty much been nothing but a total dick to us so far.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

She was just drifting.
So when does Makoto master multi-track stalkingdrifting?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

So how is this blackmail supposed to work? It's not like he can accuse you of trespassing now.

The answer to that will be found... in the next update.

But with the information we have, I'm sure we're just trying to fix Madarame and hoping everything else will get fixed by itself.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Solitair posted:

I was thinking about every single scene with Hanako Ohtani. "lol this chick is fat" is not good writing and the party members act like giant assholes in every scene she's in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's really only Yosuke though. The only other members to interact with her are off the top of my head Teddie (who's eh, Teddie) and Chie (who's perfectly cordial to her).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In the anime, she gets off pretty well, but the game itself goes out of its way to implicitly mock her.