Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Red mage is very easy to maintain good DPS no matter what you are doing, tonnes of instant casts to handle movement and a clear simple way of handling things that isn't messed up by boss invulns like say SMN

Is this one of those "Red Mage is cruisin' for a nerf" situations, or a "Black Mage and Summoner are really due for a buff" situation? I haven't played enough to know how SE usually approaches big balance patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Red mage is very easy to maintain good DPS no matter what you are doing, tonnes of instant casts to handle movement and a clear simple way of handling things that isn't messed up by boss invulns like say SMN

This is honestly why I like the class so much, no convoluted self-buff to maintain, forgiving in its mechanics but being proc-based still has a lot of "if X then Y" so it's not totally brainless button-mashing.

Harrow posted:

Is this one of those "Red Mage is cruisin' for a nerf" situations, or a "Black Mage and Summoner are really due for a buff" situation? I haven't played enough to know how SE usually approaches big balance patches.

In general during patches it seems like SE is more likely to buff than nerf unless there's something particularly egregious going on.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Magil Zeal posted:

I speculate that their goal was to move the summoner class away from dot management as an intentional move and give it a demi-egi to make it feel more like a summoner and less like a warlock.

If this was the intent then they should've gone whole hog and have a rotating selection of demi-summons like how bard works with its songs. Except not crappy and unresponsive like Demi-Bahamut.

They should have made them particularly fancy and long-winded graphical effects instead of actual distinct entities that can die or interrupt their casts. And I agree, a rotation of sort lived but considerably more potent egis would make the class a lot more exciting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sade posted:

Paladin

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the bizarre thing is they could have had the summons function like dots (i get it, pets are already glorified dots, but bear with me), but instead the summoners summons are...sort of weird, and they have a bunch of dots anyway. make the dots things like ifrit breathing fire on someone instead of things like bio and miasma that don't even make me think 'summoner' at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the bizarre thing is they could have had the summons function like dots (i get it, pets are already glorified dots, but bear with me), but instead the summoners summons are...sort of weird, and they have a bunch of dots anyway. make the dots things like ifrit breathing fire on someone instead of things like bio and miasma that don't even make me think 'summoner' at all.

Yeah, I've always kind of disliked that Summoner's whole deal is being the poison mage with summons as just kind of backup to that. Elemental dots would fit in much better, especially if the casting animation showed a summon doing something.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Bring back FFXI SMN

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

well pick what you want to do: Do you want to play the most braindead tank in the game where you basically have to try to screw up your damage? play drk. do you want to play a very clunky class that requires carefully lining up your cooldowns and also a bit of luck just to do around the same dps as drk and pld and have your dps be trash when you mess it up? play war

if you want something in the middle but still relatively easy and fun, you play pld and get rewarded with the best deeps and best utility. they're the war of 4.0

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have some extremely dumb newbie questions:

- Since I hit 46 on Warrior I plan to also raise Scholar to 50 by the end of the main story as well and that way I can switch between them as I feel like, especially between the post-story pre-Heavensward quests and those Hildibrand quests, when I want to be a tank or healer (lol playing DPS in this DPS-filled expansion and game). Is this plan or terrible because I have no idea how much level-locking there is through Heavensward into Stormblood.

- Do I need to buy the expansion to raise my level cap, or is my own personal cap 70 anyway and the expansions just give me access to the new stuff?

- Is there actually a serious fun reason to get into crafting/gathering other than "you're waiting for dungeon queues" or will I get most of my cool stuff from loot drops rather than the market or whatever.

- Pre-30 the only actual 'healer' class is Conjurer. Can Scholars at 30 actually go back and see the Smith for babby healing gear and tutorials or do they say "no you did the DPS trial back when you were an Arcanist, go away".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I am of the opinion that summons shouldn't just be damage/dot spells with fancy animations. I think the Demi-Egi concept is a good one but SE needs to address the issues with how it's currently implemented.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

bewilderment posted:

- Is there actually a serious fun reason to get into crafting/gathering other than "you're waiting for dungeon queues" or will I get most of my cool stuff from loot drops rather than the market or whatever.

- Being able to repair your own gear.
- A lot of glamour gear requires crafters to make, and having crafters leveled means you can craft it yourself and save the marketboard markup (which can be hundreds of thousands of gil). Same for housing items.
- If you want to level gatherers then you'll want to be able to craft your own gathering gear. If you want to level crafters you'll want to be able to gather the materials for it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

I have some extremely dumb newbie questions:

- Since I hit 46 on Warrior I plan to also raise Scholar to 50 by the end of the main story as well and that way I can switch between them as I feel like, especially between the post-story pre-Heavensward quests and those Hildibrand quests, when I want to be a tank or healer (lol playing DPS in this DPS-filled expansion and game). Is this plan or terrible because I have no idea how much level-locking there is through Heavensward into Stormblood.

- Do I need to buy the expansion to raise my level cap, or is my own personal cap 70 anyway and the expansions just give me access to the new stuff?

- Pre-30 the only actual 'healer' class is Conjurer. Can Scholars at 30 actually go back and see the Smith for babby healing gear and tutorials or do they say "no you did the DPS trial back when you were an Arcanist, go away".

1. I wouldn't recommend it. It's much less hassle to level second and subsequent jobs after finishing your main since you get a passive armory bonus that makes it much easier. You're also likely to find yourself stonewalled by quest level requirements sooner or later, because quest progression assumes you're doing it all on one job and barely gives you enough exp to skate by, though sometimes not even.

2. yes, you need to buy the expac to increase your level cap

3. you will get loot drops through quests and dungeons primarily. crafting is very all or nothing and most things that sell require heavy investment.

4. yes, you can go do healer smith stuff on your sch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I am of the opinion that summons shouldn't just be damage/dot spells with fancy animations. I think the Demi-Egi concept is a good one but SE needs to address the issues with how it's currently implemented.

I like the idea of summons being Demi-Egis like Demi Bahamut that you cycle through like Bard songs, though that'd be such a huge change to the gameplay style that I doubt it'll happen, at least not for a while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

The problem is that pets are very unreliable. This doesn't matter as much if they're auto attacking and you need contagion to go off sometime in the next 20s. Or you need whispering dawn to go off sometime between raid wide aoes. Now however they've tied a large portion of SMN damage to Bahamut-egi who may or may not cast his akh morns within the next 6 seconds (akh morn has a 13s cd and he can be out for 20s at a time so you're supposed to get 2 akh morns in). Then you have fey union which I'm guessing it supposed to be something akin to presence of mind+panic cures or something; but if the tank moves a tiny bit theres a 50/50 chance the heals will stop for the next 2 gcds and you'll lose the faerie meter charges regardless.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If bahamut was just an invulnerable rooted turret that actually used its 100 yard range I'd be happy. Instead we summon a disobedient, vision blocking, separation anxiety riddled bag of poo poo that reacts to our abilities but only if we use them at precisely the right speed.

Fortunately, if he at least gets both akh morns off he was worth it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I like the idea of summons being Demi-Egis like Demi Bahamut that you cycle through like Bard songs, though that'd be such a huge change to the gameplay style that I doubt it'll happen, at least not for a while.

Yeah I personally thought the bard song rotation was a good mechanic for Summoner summons to be loosely based upon, though it'd require a significant rework and I don't expect any reworks on that level (in whatever form they take) to happen until a later expansion.

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is that pets are very unreliable. This doesn't matter as much if they're auto attacking and you need contagion to go off sometime in the next 20s. Or you need whispering dawn to go off sometime between raid wide aoes. Now however they've tied a large portion of SMN damage to Bahamut-egi who may or may not cast his akh morns within the next 6 seconds (akh morn has a 13s cd and he can be out for 20s at a time so you're supposed to get 2 akh morns in). Then you have fey union which I'm guessing it supposed to be something akin to presence of mind+panic cures or something; but if the tank moves a tiny bit theres a 50/50 chance the heals will stop for the next 2 gcds and you'll lose the faerie meter charges regardless.

Pets are certainly problematic as currently implemented but surely that could be improved. If the AI can't be made responsive enough to do it maybe it could be something like a summoner has an ability that instantly applies a buff to the pet that causes it to replace its next swing with whatever move it's supposed to use (scholars are more problematic here). There'd still be delay but at least it'd be a fairly reliable thing you could predict based on your pet's attack speed. And when you use said buff it locks you out of all similar abilities until the pet uses the ability.

That's just off the top of my head, and maybe it'd be a lot easier than that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
remember guys, pvp is a total crapshoot, you can never win more than 33% of the time, you may as well just afk while guarding the base, and furthermore--

faaaaarrrtttt

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Velthice posted:

well pick what you want to do: Do you want to play the most braindead tank in the game where you basically have to try to screw up your damage? play drk. do you want to play a very clunky class that requires carefully lining up your cooldowns and also a bit of luck just to do around the same dps as drk and pld and have your dps be trash when you mess it up? play war

if you want something in the middle but still relatively easy and fun, you play pld and get rewarded with the best deeps and best utility. they're the war of 4.0

On the other hand shields are for nerds and big swords and big axes rule and class balance is always shifting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Infinity Gaia posted:

On the other hand shields are for nerds and big swords and big axes rule and class balance is always shifting.

Real Knights do it with two hands.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Reiterpallasch posted:

remember guys, pvp is a total crapshoot, you can never win more than 33% of the time, you may as well just afk while guarding the base, and furthermore--

faaaaarrrtttt

But how do you get all the idiots to actually fight the other team and kill them?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
a coordinated 8-stack with 2 dark knights can basically kill an infinite number of pubbies as they afk run past you on the way to an ice; almost all of those kills were us. all of our dps had fever by the end.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've got an urge to play an MMO that isn't wow

I've also got an urge to play as a bard.

This pretty much narrows down the options to FFXIV and Archeage. I've played the FFXIV trial and it was OK, but not amazing. What killed my enthusiasm for the game though was learning that the bard class was changed up after the previous expansion and people weren't happy (IIRC the inclusion of cast times was the biggest complaint).

My question is, how is Bard in stormblood?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
1) have 2 drks, 2 healers (preferably ast for deorbit + whm for aoe healing), and 4 dps (preferably bursty classes like blm and mnk)
2) set up in a choke that an enemy team will have to run through to get to a large ice spawn
3) drk marks, pulls, and stuns out of position ranged dps and healers, dps use a /target <attack1> macro and vaporize each in turn. other drk also pulls if they start getting away. it's a goddamn turkey shoot out there.
4) there is no fourth step

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just saying if you have 8 people in that composition and all you care about is leveling up then you might as well run instances.

eehh actually you have a wider pool of people to get into a murder ball thanks to level scaling in pvp so it might be worthwhile if you dont have enough 60+ to run instances but have lower level players that want to commit suicide do to PoTD.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

class balance is always shifting.

yea that's what we thought about how strong war was in heavensward. problem is that war needs a lot more than just some potency buffs and tp changes to make it any good and less clunky but that's the only kind of buffing SE seems comfortable dealing with anymore. it needs another rework so basically avoid at all costs. axes are fedoras now

Drk on the other is way more likely to come out of any buffs favorably, and the only thing really broken on it right now is dark passenger. it's turbo braindead though so the real challenge is staying awake while you spend the entire fight 123 or alternatively rolling your face across the keyboard with no noticeable impact to your dps

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

khy posted:

Bards say it's fun.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Velthice posted:

yea that's what we thought about how strong war was in heavensward. problem is that war needs a lot more than just some potency buffs and tp changes to make it any good and less clunky but that's the only kind of buffing SE seems comfortable dealing with anymore. it needs another rework so basically avoid at all costs. axes are fedoras now

Drk on the other is way more likely to come out of any buffs favorably, and the only thing really broken on it right now is dark passenger. it's turbo braindead though so the real challenge is staying awake while you spend the entire fight 123 or alternatively rolling your face across the keyboard with no noticeable impact to your dps

DRK needs to have a few things looked at, not just Dark Passenger. But DP is def the big outlier since its essentially useless. Quietus and Blood Spiller need to be oGCD, adjust their damage or whatever, but DRK needs more oGCD abilities to not feel like you are falling asleep in the keyboard. Darkest Night needs to have a longer timer so that you can guarantee it popping. Quality of life things, but they'd go a long way in making DRK feel better.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

a coordinated 8-stack
Wow, I wonder why you did so well. :thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

DRK needs to have a few things looked at, not just Dark Passenger. But DP is def the big outlier since its essentially useless. Quietus and Blood Spiller need to be oGCD, adjust their damage or whatever, but DRK needs more oGCD abilities to not feel like you are falling asleep in the keyboard. Darkest Night needs to have a longer timer so that you can guarantee it popping. Quality of life things, but they'd go a long way in making DRK feel better.

Alternatively Darkest night needs to be depleted before other shields instead of after.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

khy posted:

This pretty much narrows down the options to FFXIV and Archeage. I've played the FFXIV trial and it was OK, but not amazing. What killed my enthusiasm for the game though was learning that the bard class was changed up after the previous expansion and people weren't happy (IIRC the inclusion of cast times was the biggest complaint).

The previous expansion changed bards into a more caster-like thing. The current expansion changed them back since people complained about their abilities having cast times.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Has anyone else run into issues with the FFXIV patcher having horrendously slow download speeds? I'm getting like 1.2mbps on a 50mb down connection.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

a coordinated 8-stack with 2 dark knights can basically kill an infinite number of pubbies as they afk run past you on the way to an ice; almost all of those kills were us. all of our dps had fever by the end.

See, when people say it is essentially random, they mean under the assumption that you are solo queuing, where it's up in the air whether any of the teams have a premade and if you're on that team or if none of them do and whether any of them are remotely organized.

When you go in with a premade of 8 people, no poo poo you warp the whole match around you. I don't think it's actually very fun to stomp on people who offer no real challenge or resistance though. I prefer evenly matched teams. Either everyone is idiots or no one is!

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well if we're going to talk about it, I don't agree with spiller and quietus being ogcd, they function perfectly fine as is. If I could nitpick, I'd consider dumping the DA buff on quietus since it's typically a dps loss, but it's also a skill that really only sees use during trash. Darkest night is another ability I think is fine, and the recent buff to spiller makes it always a dps gain instead of teetering between the two, it's not hard to line it up with busters, which is primarily what it's used for anyway. I guess an extra 5 second wouldn't make that much of a difference in the end, but it is pretty much the only thing on drk that punishes you if you mess it up right now

Drk is the new "babby's first tank" and it really doesn't punish you for anything. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and with pld being buffed in the way it was, it's nice that there's now another tank that requires very little thought to perform well. It's still very fun, it's just very easy.

Something I'm reminded of though is drk's cooldown suite is easily the weakest of the 3 tanks. Pld's being able to block magic really devalues dark mind. in my dream world, drk mind would be tweaked to affect both physical and magical damage and work exactly the same way that it does now. That might be a little too strong but then again sheltron is hilarious. i'd also shave 30 seconds off of shadow wall which is strictly worse than sentinel with the same cooldown (180 seconds) and both are worse than vengeance (120 seconds) but that's locked on a tank that no one wants to play right now, so... all good?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Waci posted:

The previous expansion changed bards into a more caster-like thing. The current expansion changed them back since people complained about their abilities having cast times.

Thanks.

I played the 2 week trial a while back, but I read that now it's an 'unlimited' trial up to level 35. Am I ineligible for this? When I go to the FFXIV site, I can't 'sign up' for the trial, but I heard that old accounts got reactivated or something like that?

khy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 10, 2017

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just saying if you have 8 people in that composition and all you care about is leveling up then you might as well run instances.

eehh actually you have a wider pool of people to get into a murder ball thanks to level scaling in pvp so it might be worthwhile if you dont have enough 60+ to run instances but have lower level players that want to commit suicide do to PoTD.

Gee idunno, maybe because its FUN?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Velthice posted:

Well if we're going to talk about it, I don't agree with spiller and quietus being ogcd, they function perfectly fine as is. If I could nitpick, I'd consider dumping the DA buff on quietus since it's typically a dps loss, but it's also a skill that really only sees use during trash. Darkest night is another ability I think is fine, and the recent buff to spiller makes it always a dps gain instead of teetering between the two, it's not hard to line it up with busters, which is primarily what it's used for anyway. I guess an extra 5 second wouldn't make that much of a difference in the end, but it is pretty much the only thing on drk that punishes you if you mess it up right now

Drk is the new "babby's first tank" and it really doesn't punish you for anything. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and with pld being buffed in the way it was, it's nice that there's now another tank that requires very little thought to perform well. It's still very fun, it's just very easy.

Something I'm reminded of though is drk's cooldown suite is easily the weakest of the 3 tanks. Pld's being able to block magic really devalues dark mind. in my dream world, drk mind would be tweaked to affect both physical and magical damage and work exactly the same way that it does now. That might be a little too strong but then again sheltron is hilarious. i'd also shave 30 seconds off of shadow wall which is strictly worse than sentinel with the same cooldown (180 seconds) and both are worse than vengeance (120 seconds) but that's locked on a tank that no one wants to play right now, so... all good?

I'm assuming they're expecting you to rely on darkest night for a lot of mitigation? 15s cd and only 2400 mp.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

khy posted:

Bard is really great in Stormblood because the cast times are gone and the song system got tweaked. There's tons of buttons to push, you're always buffing your party, and you can occasionally step in with some big-time utility (Battle Voice (+15% Direct Hit), Troubadour (+15% resilience), Warden's Paean (debuff absorption), Nature's Minne (target receives increased healing), Palisade (target takes less physical damage), Tactician (+TP), Refresh (+MP)).

What I especially like about them is that their basic gameplay actually feels like you're playing music. You have the consistent rhythm with Heavy Shot into occasional Straighter Shot/Refulgent Arrow, then you layer more and more complexity on top of that with the DoTs and the oGCDs. Then you transition between three different songs that all play differently: Mage's Ballad (mash one button when it lights up), Army's Paeon (rapidly churn through all your weaponskills), Wanderer's Minuet (slowly play while building up a huge Pitch Perfect then blast it off).

Highly recommended.

(P.S. You can tootle on a flute to make your entire team run faster)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

khy posted:

Changed back and people are happy again :yaycloud:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm assuming they're expecting you to rely on darkest night for a lot of mitigation? 15s cd and only 2400 mp.

I absolutely wouldn't spam it, since your mp pool is your damage, and draining that seriously sabotages the damage you can put out. It's also not strong enough to rely on by itself, only giving you around a 10k shield with full vit. best use imo is for when you know you're gonna get a big hit, a tank buster or something similar (susie ex's cleaves in phase 1) on top of another cooldown.

Still though, the only thing you have to watch out for is making sure you never cap out on mp, and making sure you have enough mp to da carve and spit as soon as it comes off cooldown. as long as you follow those basic rules, you'll be fine.

Edit: oh yea, don't cap out on blood, that's another good reason not to spam blackest night

Velthice fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Harrow posted:

Red Mage seems to be in line with mostly everyone else for the most part, so I don't see it getting nerfed. Black Mage may get buffed simply because Yoshi-P actually plays that class, so he'd be more aware of what's working with it and what isn't.

Summoner is going to take a lot more than buffs to alleviate a lot of the problems people are having with it. They should have just made the class use Stands/Personas at this point; there is a precedent in the series for that since Yuna in Dissidia cycled through her story-line summons for individual attacks. But I don't think the team really knows what to do with SMN or how they should really proceed with it.