Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

inklesspen posted:

I have a Pilot pen (gift, unknown model, probably one of the ~$30 models you have to order from Japan) where the nib seems to be clipped onto the feed. There's some ink under there I've been unable to wash out without detaching the nib, but I don't know how to do it safely. Any tips?

Post a pic and we can probably tell you what it is and how to disassemble it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Definitely appears to be clipped onto the feed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That nib will just slide straight off the feed. If it seems to be stuck on, use a piece of duct tape.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yep! Just slide it down off of the feed, like off the tip. Like grack said, you can stick a piece of scotch tape to the back of it for traction if you need to. Just slides right off. That's the same shape that Lamy uses with their nibs.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Guys I bought a Vanishing Point because Goulet had them on sale and were giving a way large bottle of Iroshizuku ink with them. I have a lot of nice pens, but this pen feels really good in the hand and on paper. Pilot does a drat good job.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I should also say your pen model is the Pilot Cavalier.

NeurosisHead posted:

Guys I bought a Vanishing Point because Goulet had them on sale and were giving a way large bottle of Iroshizuku ink with them. I have a lot of nice pens, but this pen feels really good in the hand and on paper. Pilot does a drat good job.

I wish Pilot would bring back the resin VPs. The standard VP is too heavy for me and the Decimo doesn't work with my grip. I had a chance to try a resin faceted VP a few months ago and I liked it quite a bit.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The nib didn't want to slide at all; it seems to be clamped on there pretty tight. I didn't have any duct tape so I just kept rinsing it until it wasn't expressing ink when I pulled it across a paper towel.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Anybody have recommendations for letter writing stationery? I thought since I'm getting a nice pen I might try and write more letters. I'm interested particularly in Japanese brands but any suggestions are appreciated.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
You can buy loose sheets of Tomoe River. It makes excellent stationary.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I recently bought a pad of Clairfontaine stationery and it's... fine, I guess?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

NeurosisHead posted:

My medium blue carbonesque VP was my first fountain pen, and is still by far my favorite. There are other pens that I like using just as much, but I love the shape, weight, and clickiness of the VP.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

I recently bought a pad of Clairfontaine stationery and it's... fine, I guess?

I'm super lukewarm on Rhodia and Clairfontaine pads. They feel just "okay" for the price. I tried G Lalo and it was brilliant but so ridiculously expensive.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
How many safari pens are too many??? I'm thinking of buying more but I already own three (including the petrol). They're very fun pens and I like the stubs. I'm also thinking about getting into modifying many nibs since I have a bunch of duplicate nibs now from thinking I lost nibs when I didn't. How difficult would it be?

inklesspen posted:

The nib didn't want to slide at all; it seems to be clamped on there pretty tight. I didn't have any duct tape so I just kept rinsing it until it wasn't expressing ink when I pulled it across a paper towel.

I've successfully done it with just scotch tape. I hope it works out for you the next time you need to disassemble for cleaning.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kessel posted:

I'm super lukewarm on Rhodia and Clairfontaine pads. They feel just "okay" for the price. I tried G Lalo and it was brilliant but so ridiculously expensive.

When I write a letter on the Clairfontaine, I'm like, "This is nice paper, but not nice enough that anyone I'm writing to is ever going to notice / think twice about it."

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trustworthy posted:

When I write a letter on the Clairfontaine, I'm like, "This is nice paper, but not nice enough that anyone I'm writing to is ever going to notice / think twice about it."

That's what Tomoe River 52gsm loose sheets are for. It is elegant and very different from the usual stationery in the US.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve been on an iron‐gall streak lately.

I like that Diamine Registrar’s Ink is well‐behaved on newspaper, but it just sits on the surface of some nicer, smooth papers. R&K Scabiosa is the opposite: it works fine on quality paper, but spreads readily on newspaper.

I got a bottle of this stuff, Hero № 232 Blue‐Black, yesterday.

In it I have found an ink that seems to behave itself across the paper spectrum. It’s going in my pocket pen.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 9, 2017

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
I just bought myself a cheap Sheaffer pen. I am not going back to ball point. Ever. gently caress those things. gently caress pressing. gently caress writer's cramp after a few sentences. If such a cheap fountain pen actually makes writing pleasurable I can only wonder what a more expensive one feels like.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Can anybody tell me about dip pens? I'm thinking of getting an oblique one made of wood and some nib sets - I found a guy with a box of old banker's dip nibs made to be extremely fine and said he would sell me a few so I'm looking into getting a nib holder. Do most nib holders carry most nibs?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Selenite posted:

I just bought myself a cheap Sheaffer pen. I am not going back to ball point. Ever. gently caress those things. gently caress pressing. gently caress writer's cramp after a few sentences. If such a cheap fountain pen actually makes writing pleasurable I can only wonder what a more expensive one feels like.

I've been finding that more expensive doesn't always mean better. A lot of times it does, but I think the most important thing is finding what works for you. I like my pens to be a touch on the wet side, where it feels more like you're painting than writing. I also like fine and extra fine nibs for drawing. I'd get a variety of brands and nib sizes of cheaper pens before sinking a lot of money into something expensive. Plus you have more pens that way.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Selenite posted:

I really hate ballpoints. Even the higher quality ones are crap. My handwriting is godawful with a Bic now, and I find them uncomfortable to use, so I have a few Pilot Varsities that I've refilled with X-Feather laying around the office for when I have to jot a quick note on low quality paper. They don't work on thermal paper, but I really don't ever write on thermal paper unless I'm signing something at the store.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I've been finding that more expensive doesn't always mean better. A lot of times it does, but I think the most important thing is finding what works for you. I like my pens to be a touch on the wet side, where it feels more like you're painting than writing. I also like fine and extra fine nibs for drawing. I'd get a variety of brands and nib sizes of cheaper pens before sinking a lot of money into something expensive. Plus you have more pens that way.

100% agreed, my favorite nib is still a TWSBI 1.1 stub, and I find the #5 stub on the Eco indistinguishable from the #6 nib on their other pens. This means that a $30 pen is effectively my favorite pen.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of TWSBI, what's the goon consensus on the 580 vs. the Vac700R? Is the 700R better, or just neat and different?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I signed my mortgage docs with a Carene back in December, used tsuki-yo because it was the closest thing to a legally-appropriate blue.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

100% agreed, my favorite nib is still a TWSBI 1.1 stub, and I find the #5 stub on the Eco indistinguishable from the #6 nib on their other pens. This means that a $30 pen is effectively my favorite pen.

I think my Pilot Metro gives me the best writing experience, which to be honest makes me a little sad, since my nicer pens don't get used as much.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Speaking of TWSBI, what's the goon consensus on the 580 vs. the Vac700R? Is the 700R better, or just neat and different?

If they have the same nib (a Bock #6 if I'm not mistaken), then the only real difference is in the filling mechanism. Vacuum-fillers like the 700R are more unique, but a little more finicky in that you have to untwist the knob if you're going to be writing for a while, so as to allow ink to flow from the barrel to the feed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

404notfound posted:

If they have the same nib (a Bock #6 if I'm not mistaken), then the only real difference is in the filling mechanism. Vacuum-fillers like the 700R are more unique, but a little more finicky in that you have to untwist the knob if you're going to be writing for a while, so as to allow ink to flow from the barrel to the feed.

You are mistaken. The 580 had a #5 while the 700 has a #6. The 700 is too big of a pen. The 580 was nicer to use day to day for me (I got both of them with 1.1 stubs) but they've both too heavy for my tastes these days.

I can heartily recommend the Vac Mini tho, if I ever used modern pens any more it'd take pride of place.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The Vac700R has a larger nib and a monstrous ink capacity, though the 580 holds a good amount of ink as well. Vacuum fillers are more finicky in terms of mechanics and maintenance, and I personally find that the ergonomics of the 700r really suck. I'd see if you could find a brick and mortar to try them out.

Edit: Dammit Canada Post, deliver my pretty Delta! :argh:

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Heath posted:

Can anybody tell me about dip pens? I'm thinking of getting an oblique one made of wood and some nib sets - I found a guy with a box of old banker's dip nibs made to be extremely fine and said he would sell me a few so I'm looking into getting a nib holder. Do most nib holders carry most nibs?

I know a little. Most nibs are going to come in 2 sizes, 9mm and 3mm. There are a number of nib holders that can actually fit both, letting you use pretty much any nib you can find. Like this one. If you want more information about this jetpens has a really good FAQ on dip pens you can find Here

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FAUXTON posted:

I signed my mortgage docs with a Carene back in December, used tsuki-yo because it was the closest thing to a legally-appropriate blue.

I used 54th Mass on mine. Nobody complained and they haven't taken the house back in just over a year now, so I think I'm good!

I love signing stuff with nice pens. I was on a friend's thesis committee and he gave me a Lamy Logo as a thank you gift that the committee used to sign his bound theses.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY pink.

Very pink

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I got a Pilot Custom 823. It's just wonderful to write with. I enjoyed using my previous fountain pen but the Pilot is just in a league of it's own. I recommend trying one out!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Good choice. One of the best writer's pens in existence.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Did you get the FA nib?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oops double post

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Just wanted to give you all a heads up before we do it: as part of our prep for our first North American appearance our diary lineup is changing. In a nutshell:

- The waves and dragonfly diaries in the signature collection will stay. They will be joined by a wide swathe of extremely sombre and pretty diaries in traditional Japanese indigo blue patterns.
- The owl and rabbit diaries will also stay, but one or two colour choices from each may disappear.
- Seasonal rotation.
- Huge expansion to the exotic section, with a lot more office-friendly and beautiful textured wools. And one diary made with angora, because I'm stupid.

The most important thing to note is that we will no longer be pricing by collection, but rather by pattern. This will allow us to correct for some dumb pricing decisions (cashmere does not remotely cost the same as wool but we sell the diaries for the same price). There will be no seismic shifts in price.

Takeaways:
- If you've had your eye on a seasonal diary, now is a good time to order. We can't guarantee it will still be there when the lineup rotates.
- Don't worry about pricing changes. If you order something and its price goes down within two weeks of your order, our system is set up to refund you the difference.
- These changes will be rolled out across this and next month. Please bear with us.

I cannot wait to show you folks the new patterns. They are so Japanese it hurts and utterly phenomenal in person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I’m looking for ink that is waterproof but can easily be cleaned by some known solvent, e.g. ethanol or acetone.

Can anyone recommend an ink/solvent combination?

I found the solution to this in an unexpected place.

I was cleaning some small machine parts and got to thinking “if this stuff removes iron oxide, and iron‐gall ink gets its lasting colour from iron (II) oxide, would this stuff remove iron‐gall ink from paper?”

It turns out that the answer is “yes”. Soaking for a few hours removed all traces of ESSRI without apparent harm to the Fabriano paper substrate.

I should try it on other materials and with other brands of iron‐gall ink, but on paper (ha) it is ideal: an agent designed to attack the pigment and nothing else.

quote:

EVAPO-RUST® works through selective chelation. This is a process in which a large synthetic molecule forms a bond with metals and holds them in solution. Most chelating agents bind many different metals. The active ingredient in EVAPO-RUST® bonds to iron exclusively. It can remove iron from iron oxide but is too weak to remove iron from steel where the iron is held much more strongly. Once the chelating agent has removed the iron, a sulfur bearing organic molecule pulls the iron away from the chelator and forms a ferric sulfate complex which remains water soluble. This frees the chelating agent to remove more iron from rust.

MSDS lists ingredients as 83% water, 16% proprietary chelating agent, and 1% proprietary detergent.

I feel confident it will be generally safer than things like bleach used to remove other dyes or the various acids old books recommend to remove iron‐gall ink.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Platystemon posted:

I found the solution to this in an unexpected place.

I was cleaning some small machine parts and got to thinking “if this stuff removes iron oxide, and iron‐gall ink gets its lasting colour from iron (II) oxide, would this stuff remove iron‐gall ink from paper?”

It turns out that the answer is “yes”. Soaking for a few hours removed all traces of ESSRI without apparent harm to the Fabriano paper substrate.

I should try it on other materials and with other brands of iron‐gall ink, but on paper (ha) it is ideal: an agent designed to attack the pigment and nothing else.

MSDS lists ingredients as 83% water, 16% proprietary chelating agent, and 1% proprietary detergent.

I feel confident it will be generally safer than things like bleach used to remove other dyes or the various acids old books recommend to remove iron‐gall ink.

Might be interesting to compare to EDTA+soap, which would be generic chelating agent and detergent :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes I need to sit at a computer and take short notes every few minutes. This is annoying with something like a TWSBI Eco. The nib dries out unless I screw/unscrew the cap every time, which slows me down.

This seemed to me to be a great excuse to get a desk pen or a Vanishing Point.

But first I did an experiment with a Jinhao 599 EF because I read that hooded nibs dry more slowly.

Inked with Pilot Blue‐Black (6.3˘⁄ml and all‐around great), it starts flawlessly till it’s left uncapped and untouched for about thirty minutes.

I’ll get you some time, Vanishing Point. :arghfist:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

A shot in the dark: Has anyone got a Lanbitou 6001? I bought two of them from ebay for cheap because I thought they looked really cute, though the listing didn't have their maker or model number and just listed it as a generic office pen (but it says on the cap what it is, in Chinese). I like them quite a bit, with the one exception of its horrible filling mechanism. It's downright impossible to clean out and I don't like the idea of a pen that's chained to only one ink for the rest of its life.

Wondering if anyone's played around with them, and if it's possible to remove the tube that's inside the bladder filler.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Did you get the FA nib?

Just a fine nib. I was worried the line would be too thin but my writing is quite cramped so it actually helps with the details. I also write in kanji occasionally so having those lines helps when there are a lot of strokes close to each other.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been using Petrol for a short time now and haven't fallen in love with it. I bought 5 packs, I think I'll sit on the other 4 full ones and trade them/ sell them on eBay in a year or so, whenever they become sought after :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Cartridges or bottles? If you have a bottle I'd like to buy it.