Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Most of my league plays unpainted.
Shameful!!! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I just got my gaming group into Blood Bowl by buying the box set and myself the Scarcrag Snivellers. Planning on painting up the humans and orcs for my two friends as birthday/Christmas gifts.

I know the box set comes with the rules, but what else will I need to play? Should I pick up Death Zone: Season Two?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My understanding is that Death Zone Season 1 is basically mandatory as that contains the rules for running leagues with levelling up players and the like.

My group is less excited by Season 2 but some people really like it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, you can't really play without Deathzone 1. Deathzone 2? I dunno.

You may also want to remove miscelaneous mayhem (red) cards as they make all the others obsolete.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Yeah, you can't really play without Deathzone 1. Deathzone 2? I dunno.
Ehh, if you're just playing one-offs, you don't need DZ. If you plan on running a league at some point in the future, yeah, you'll need DZ, but it's not a required day one purchase. DZ2 is not necessary unless you are a more experienced player. If you're of a digital mindset, you can get DZ1 and 2 for $27. That's like buying DZ1 for the $20 retail, and getting DZ2 for $7.

http://www.warhammerdigital.com/more-games/blood-bowl

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Switching to Necromunda chat for a minute, a mate wants to play Enforcers, but they're not in either of the living rule books.

They worth grabbing?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ended up picking up the box set that comes with the humans, orcs and the rules, the goblin team for myself and the skaven team for my 4th friend, along with Death Zone 1. I think that's a good starting point. If I need to, I'll pick up deathzone 2 later on.

I'm painting all 4 teams as presents for my friends. My orc playing friend decided to theme them Da Foundin' Fathers. Excited to paint those ones.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ehh, if you're just playing one-offs, you don't need DZ. If you plan on running a league at some point in the future, yeah, you'll need DZ, but it's not a required day one purchase. DZ2 is not necessary unless you are a more experienced player. If you're of a digital mindset, you can get DZ1 and 2 for $27. That's like buying DZ1 for the $20 retail, and getting DZ2 for $7.

http://www.warhammerdigital.com/more-games/blood-bowl

I literally think Blood Bowl is a pointless game unless you're playing it in a league.

Edit: My justification for this is the fact that there is a wide disparity between the teams: many of them are dreadful at the start and only become competitive upon levelling up a bit.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 10, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can you not just start with an arbitrary number of randomly decided games under your belt?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Considering that player XP/SPP is dependent on what they do rather than just one roll after the game as in Shadow War, that's not that easy to do.

Also, your players maimed and or killed, which is an another thing.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
The alternative is to take rules from tournaments, which generally have a higher starting budget and the ability to pick skills depending on your team's tier.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cassa posted:

Switching to Necromunda chat for a minute, a mate wants to play Enforcers, but they're not in either of the living rule books.

They worth grabbing?

They had a weird mechanic where they work in shifts. Like you'd assign models to two teams that basically act as two gangs. There were all kinds of weird rules for Enforcers, IIRC. It was definitely one of the more unique factions.

The figures are pretty impossible to find, though. I made some out of Cadians with SM arms that looked OK.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You could do well by taking non-sniper scouts and skitari vanguard heads.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Puppets War sell suitable heads, shields and shock-sticks for conversions from Guardsmen. Plus, you'll need a dog/robot dog for one special guy.

It seems more of a "GM" gang for beating up regular gangs that get a little too big for their britches, along with the Spyre gang. You start off with ten dudes, one a sergeant, one a k-9 officer with dog. You can only bring five guys to a fight, max, unless the opposing gang has a particular high rating, then all ten can come along to crunch some ganger heads. I think you have a "armoury" of assorted weapons, i.e. it's a gang with no use for credits. You get the thankless and never ending job of bringing law to the underhive, or at least trying to bring law to it.

Rules were in an early Fanatic issue.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
There isn't a definitive Enforcer rule set. In my last campaign a guy ran Enforcers and they were pretty screwy in terms of balance. There are at least three different versions.

They are fun and cool but there's a reason they aren't in the Community Edition version of the game yet, which is that it's really hard to figure out how to balance them and make them still be fun.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, they were specifically created for GMs to take powerful gangs down a few notches, so they are definitely not in the "fair and balanced" camp. Maybe your buddy can play Enforcers "counts as" Van Saars? He'll get access to higher tech, but not have to worry about anything game breaking.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I'm looking for three pairs of Wych Hydra Gauntlets for converting up another Blood Bowl team (Dark Elves, if you've seen Duncan's video, you know what I'm doing) - if you have some, let me know, willing to pay or maybe I have some little bit you might want? Thanks!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Sorry, I was wrong. It's MaxiMini.eu who make the heads and shields I was thinking of.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been putting together some of the Blood Bowl stuff over the last few days. Did about half my Goblins, all of my friends Skaven Team and i'm working on the Orcs and Humans from the box set now.

I have to say, I am really impressed with the quality of the models in the Blood Bowl box set. No mold lines and really high quality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a good resource for 3d printing Epic files? I've found a few good models so far, but I feel like there's a vast repository of player-generated stuff I'm not finding.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Is there a good resource for 3d printing Epic files? I've found a few good models so far, but I feel like there's a vast repository of player-generated stuff I'm not finding.

Not that I know of. Most of the modelers do their own production and don't share files.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was just visiting home and found this in a box in my old bedroom and figured I'd throw a paint job onto it. It's been waiting 15 years, so I figured something was better than nothing. I'm happy enough with it.

Now I'm sad Gorkamorka isn't a thing any more. I was looking at the new GW trukk and while it's pretty cool, it's way too busy and complex for a Gorkamorka trukk. The Forgeworld one is much nicer. I just wish someone sold an alternative that was more in line with the original Gorkamorka trukk. Though I guess as the centerpiece of a mob, the Forgeworld one would be a good choice.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was just visiting home and found this in a box in my old bedroom and figured I'd throw a paint job onto it. It's been waiting 15 years, so I figured something was better than nothing. I'm happy enough with it.

Now I'm sad Gorkamorka isn't a thing any more. I was looking at the new GW trukk and while it's pretty cool, it's way too busy and complex for a Gorkamorka trukk. The Forgeworld one is much nicer. I just wish someone sold an alternative that was more in line with the original Gorkamorka trukk. Though I guess as the centerpiece of a mob, the Forgeworld one would be a good choice.

I love that trukk, and all the Gorkamorka models I've seen. I never got a chance to play it back in the day but I understand it was Necromundish?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It is literally the rules of Necromunda with Vehicles bolted on and a campaign setting that revamped the Ork fluff into the mad max style hooligans of today.

Of course that's something of an oversimplification, because despite core mechanical similarities with Necro, GoMo has a very different metagame because of the comparatively much sparser terrain, much weaker shooting, and emphasis on combat and vehicle shenanigans.

GoMo is an extremely enjoyable game but is definitely showing its age with a number of weird or ambiguous rules. It's especially telling to switch to GoMo after playing Necromunda's Community Edition which has consistently tweaked and tinkered with the core Necro rules into a form that now works really well. Gorka is totally playable though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'd love to see someone do a modern skirmish game with an emphasis on vehicles. It blows my mind that Mad Max has never gotten the miniature game treatment because it seems so obvious to me (aside from Gorkamorka itself being basically just that).

Gorkamorka certainly isn't perfect and it's not something I'd want to play in a "competitive" setting, but as a "beer and pretzels" narrative based game it's a ton of fun and the models are great.

Looking at GW's website, the trakk, identical to the one I posted above but with the standard heavy bolter instead of the metal harpoon upgrade, is $27.25. That's a model from 1997. Nearly $30. Wowzers.

I should have just brought my last remaining Gorkamorka trukk with me to Asia and just stripped and repainted it, but that Mad Max Forgeworld one is loving tempting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Shadin posted:

I love that trukk, and all the Gorkamorka models I've seen. I never got a chance to play it back in the day but I understand it was Necromundish?

Gorkamorka is easily one of the most fun games I have ever played. The driving is just so fun. And it definitely rewards people who want to go wild building rad Ork vehicles and custom boyz.

I still remember how shocked I was at how survivable getting hit by a crazy turboboosting trukk was as a lone guy on foot. :3:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd love to see someone do a modern skirmish game with an emphasis on vehicles. It blows my mind that Mad Max has never gotten the miniature game treatment because it seems so obvious to me (aside from Gorkamorka itself being basically just that).

Gorkamorka certainly isn't perfect and it's not something I'd want to play in a "competitive" setting, but as a "beer and pretzels" narrative based game it's a ton of fun and the models are great.

Looking at GW's website, the trakk, identical to the one I posted above but with the standard heavy bolter instead of the metal harpoon upgrade, is $27.25. That's a model from 1997. Nearly $30. Wowzers.

I should have just brought my last remaining Gorkamorka trukk with me to Asia and just stripped and repainted it, but that Mad Max Forgeworld one is loving tempting.

I haven’t played it so I can’t attest to the quality, but I know at one of my FLGS, Axles and Alloys is really popular. From what I saw it’s Mad Max style vehicle combat using Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars that have been converted with wargaming bits. No idea if the game is actually good but people had really awesome conversions at least.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shadin posted:

I haven’t played it so I can’t attest to the quality, but I know at one of my FLGS, Axles and Alloys is really popular. From what I saw it’s Mad Max style vehicle combat using Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars that have been converted with wargaming bits. No idea if the game is actually good but people had really awesome conversions at least.

That's only half of what I'm looking for, though. Vehicle combat is great, but there's so much more in Mad Max. Look at the siege of the oil well in The Road Warrior. Look at the people leaping from vehicle to vehicle trying to kill crew or take them over in Fury Road. Gorkamorka had the advantage of the Necromunda rules as a starting point so guys running around on foot and leaping from vehicles was already there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's only half of what I'm looking for, though. Vehicle combat is great, but there's so much more in Mad Max. Look at the siege of the oil well in The Road Warrior. Look at the people leaping from vehicle to vehicle trying to kill crew or take them over in Fury Road. Gorkamorka had the advantage of the Necromunda rules as a starting point so guys running around on foot and leaping from vehicles was already there.

I think most try for an almost Interstate 76 vibe, where each character has his own car like some knight of the road, while GM is more arena fights where there's a mothercar and a lot of orks on it.

What makes GM show its age the most?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JcDent posted:

I think most try for an almost Interstate 76 vibe, where each character has his own car like some knight of the road, while GM is more arena fights where there's a mothercar and a lot of orks on it.

What makes GM show its age the most?

Three rolls to determine damage followed up by three states after you run out of wounds, hit locations for vehicles and the tables that translates to. Plus melee is clumsy since it's the 2e system. In the campaigns, some skills have questionable utility and random progression can mean you don't improve the way you want your warband to.

It's not that big of a deal though since you only have a few models per side.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

Three rolls to determine damage followed up by three states after you run out of wounds, hit locations for vehicles and the tables that translates to. Plus melee is clumsy since it's the 2e system.

Mostly, this stuff is I think a strength. I like the granularity of a model being pinned, down, or out of action - I much prefer this kind of mechanic in a skirmish game than for example Kill Team where a model is either Alive or Dead. I like the 2e combat because it's decisive and brutal, and a satisfying mini game in itself with selection of weapons and skills etc. At the scale of this game, neither of these aspects really slows things down and they actually bring a lot to the game.

I agree however that the process of determining damage to vehicles is far too laborious and in general the protective effect of being on a vehicle is far too powerful as it seriously de-incentivises on-foot activity.

quote:

In the campaigns, some skills have questionable utility and random progression can mean you don't improve the way you want your warband to.

It's not that big of a deal though since you only have a few models per side.

This is definitely true. One of the most important developments in the Necromunda Community Edition is the improved balancing of skills and skill tables to (mostly) bring them into line with each other. Gorka's skills are very dated.

Easy to house rule the unpredictability though. Shadow War: Armageddon had a cool rule where you roll two dice on your chosen skill table when levelling up and select the result you prefer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ineptmule posted:

Mostly, this stuff is I think a strength. I like the granularity of a model being pinned, down, or out of action - I much prefer this kind of mechanic in a skirmish game than for example Kill Team where a model is either Alive or Dead. I like the 2e combat because it's decisive and brutal, and a satisfying mini game in itself with selection of weapons and skills etc. At the scale of this game, neither of these aspects really slows things down and they actually bring a lot to the game.

I agree however that the process of determining damage to vehicles is far too laborious and in general the protective effect of being on a vehicle is far too powerful as it seriously de-incentivises on-foot activity.

I don't necessarily see the combat mechanics as a problem. But they do date the game. There are more efficient ways to resolve combat than to make a roll or face-off to hit, roll to wound, roll an armor save, and then roll for status. There might even still be a leadership roll in there, but I can't remember since I haven't looked at the rules in awhile. As for the status roll, I think modern games have moved away from "models on the board that can't do anything for 1-2 turns and are sitting ducks" since it's viewed as frustrating. Deadzone for instance has a pinned status, but it's just a short action to stand back up and you still have another short action to move or shoot as normal and with command dice you can potentially move or shoot for free.

But given that you have about 5-10 models plus a couple of vehicles, it's really not that big of a deal.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't know how many players are that well versed mechanics wise, though in a game intimate and badshit scifi as GM to hit, to wound, to save is cool and good. Shooting at vehicles could be easier (I had read a fan idea for vehicles in NM once... boy did things get Phoenix Command-y), but the rest is great. Maybe not the all or nothing melee, but I wish I could play GM.

Gangs of Nu Ork or Inquisimunda? Maybe not so much.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Instead of rolling a bunch of dice to maybe hurt a model I think I'd rather have rules with more interesting interactions between equipment and abilities but I don't think that game exists while Gorkamorka does.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I played my first non-PC game of Blood Bowl today. It's brilliant. As Orcs I managed 1-1 draws against Humans and Dwarfs, and a 2-1 defeat against Skaven. We had an entire half where the Dwarf player and my team failed to pick up the ball. A kick-off that started with one of my guys getting knocked out by a rock from the crowd. And while positioned to walk the ball into the end zone I took time out to shove a rat into the crowd, who murdered him.

In conclusion, this game is very much my thing, and never not injure Gutter Runners. Break their bones quickly.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

In conclusion, this game is very much my thing, and never not injure Gutter Runners. Break their bones quickly.

In Nuffles' Name, Amen. :pray:

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Have you guys seen this? Apparently from the latest White Dwarf:

Given some of the spoiler images on the Community page lately (an unusual lasgun design, a mass of grenades in a very non-military jumble), I'm starting to get excited.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess if I'm going to buy nostalgia, I want to literally buy nostalgia. I want a boxset that's as close to the original as possible. I want plastic bulkheads and card walkways. I like the old models, but I guess people will want multipart plastics. I'm fine with the old plastics and metals or simple snapfits if it keeps a box cheap (ha!). What I don't want are ten million skulls and spikes at all angles. I really hope they don't grimdark up the aesthetic.

But if they're not touching the rules (and I doubt they will), I don't see myself buying a box with expensive terrain in it as the main selling point. I have Deadzone and say what you want about Mantic, their terrain is some of the best stuff they do. And it's affordable and modular and given the nature and history of wargaming, it's much tougher to argue that you can't play with a different company's terrain than it is to argue you can't play with another company's models.

Maybe they'll surprise me though and they'll do something innovative that really distinguishes it from Shadow Wars and makes it a must buy. Though if the choice I'm given is between a box with expensive terrain and a standalone book, I'll probably just grab the book for old times sake and call it a day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There are some bulkheads in the new Space Marine codex on page 150 that didn't look familIar. I thought at first someone had snuck some Mantic or Imex terrain in, but Necromunda makes much more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

moths posted:

There are some bulkheads in the new Space Marine codex on page 150 that didn't look familIar. I thought at first someone had snuck some Mantic or Imex terrain in, but Necromunda makes much more sense.

They're floor sections from the Shrine of the Aquila terrain kit turned on their sides (you're looking at the undersides facing outward). The railings are made from ladders from the Imperial sector terrain kit.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Shrine-of-The-Aquila