Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Mortanis posted:

Dumb rules question. With Tau, Drone Support says they act as a separate unit. Does that count for victory points? Played a game today against a Tau player where the only victory condition was victory points for killing units and I slaughtered him based solely on drones - either I popped them as they're squishy or his Saviour Protocols for taking hits. That seems really crappy but we can't find anything implying otherwise. One deployed they are a separate unit.

Is the answer to take less drones?

Were you counting each individual drone as a unit, or the drones that deployed with suits in a cumulative unit of their own?

Edit: I'm asking because it sounds like you are treating each drone as one unit, when you are supposed to treat them as a unit together.

Example: unit of 3 crisis suits have 2 drones each. Once they hit the table, you now have a unit of 3 crisis suits and a unit of 6 drones.

Either way, the answer is to take shield drones along with other drones. If you use a drone as an ablative wound, they get no save and take a mortal wound. But if the drone unit is attacked outright, the shield drone still gets its save which can take the brunt of any shots before allocating to other drones in the unit.

Unit of 6 drones (2 shield, 2 gun, 2 markerlight) takes 4 wounds. Roll the two 4+ saves for the shield drones, assuming you make them, then allocate the other wounds to 1 gun and 1 markerlight. Or however you want it done.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Safety Factor posted:

Are furies trash? They cost 12 points each for this:

They seem like trash.

Khorne ones seem alright? 3 str 5 attacks on the charge and summoning them into the middle of a lot of stuff you're going to force moral tests on COULD potentially be good maybe?

You could probably shred stuff via leadership quite easily if you really went for it. In the FW stuff Butcher cannons give -2 to stuff it hits and the land raider can give -1 to stuff within 12. Then there's spawns, Nurgle icons and Belakor for -1 each.

Slaanesh demons Cacophonic Choir spell rolls 2d6 and does a mortal wound for each point over the targets leadership. Even against vehicles and stuff.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NORTH-HALL posted:

Khorne ones seem alright? 3 str 5 attacks on the charge and summoning them into the middle of a lot of stuff you're going to force moral tests on COULD potentially be good maybe?

You could probably shred stuff via leadership quite easily if you really went for it. In the FW stuff Butcher cannons give -2 to stuff it hits and the land raider can give -1 to stuff within 12. Then there's spawns, Nurgle icons and Belakor for -1 each.

Slaanesh demons Cacophonic Choir spell rolls 2d6 and does a mortal wound for each point over the targets leadership. Even against vehicles and stuff.
I was thinking either Nurgle or Tzeentch to represent spookghosts being ephemeral and difficult to damage. But yeah, there's potential there for some leadership damage with the right list. I'm going to be playing Night Lords and I am basically 100% certain they will have a leadership debuff mechanic as part of their legion rules. May not even need anything else.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Were you counting each individual drone as a unit, or the drones that deployed with suits in a cumulative unit of their own?

Edit: I'm asking because it sounds like you are treating each drone as one unit, when you are supposed to treat them as a unit together.

Example: unit of 3 crisis suits have 2 drones each. Once they hit the table, you now have a unit of 3 crisis suits and a unit of 6 drones.

Either way, the answer is to take shield drones along with other drones. If you use a drone as an ablative wound, they get no save and take a mortal wound. But if the drone unit is attacked outright, the shield drone still gets its save which can take the brunt of any shots before allocating to other drones in the unit.

Unit of 6 drones (2 shield, 2 gun, 2 markerlight) takes 4 wounds. Roll the two 4+ saves for the shield drones, assuming you make them, then allocate the other wounds to 1 gun and 1 markerlight. Or however you want it done.

That is a good time to roll saves one at a time, or two at a time, until you run out of shield drones.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Awesooome! I kick myself every time I read or see a militarum battle report. I shoulda gone with them instead of tau.

I played a ~700 point game against my girlfriend's necrons with my tau and yes the quantum shielding was super annoying. There's nothing like having 3 fusion blasters just totally ignored by a walker that can easily one shot a crisis in retaliation.

Man, they are just the best. Their strategy has always been 'march straight towards the enemies guns until they reach their preset kill limit and shut down' but in this edition it actually works because they're cheap enough and they don't overpay for their 4+ to hit weapons and super-fragile support squads.

Quantum shielding is super dickish because epithet better and more decisive your blow was going to be, the worse chance of it being nothing at all. You've really got to chip away at their vehicles which is so drat aggravating.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
We got some Reiver rules!

Being able to disable Overwatch is nuts for an assault unit, and -1 to hit rolls makes it way harder for them to retaliate after. I'm concerned their unit size won't help them properly consolidate their way out of gunfire, but even a small squad of these guys should be able to successfully delete a decent sized gunline.

This makes me wonder if the Easy Build kits come with power for a 3-Reiver unit, like the 4 power Intercessor datasheet. Being able to run these in several squads of 3 would be nuts.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 10, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Being able to disable Overwatch is nuts for an assault unit, and -1 to hit rolls makes it way harder for them to retaliate after. I'm concerned their unit size won't help them properly consolidate their way out of gunfire, but even a small squad of these guys should be able to successfully delete a decent sized gunline.

Holy poo poo yeah. That's pretty great. Still going to hold out for the full box of them though. I'm not crazy about the Immortan Joe squad leader.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Interestingly, that article doesn't say they can Infiltrate or Deep Strike.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Interestingly, that article doesn't say they can Infiltrate or Deep Strike.

They mentioned special abilities, plural, so I doubt this is everything. I'm hoping they get a Lictor style ambush, personally. Also of note is that their armor save isn't diminished from a usual Primaris unit, either, so if we do get Ambush it won't be paired with comparative Scout fragility.

By any chance, what are the most morale-dependent armies?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 10, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The Bee posted:

They mentioned special abilities, plural, so I doubt this is everything. I'm hoping they get a Lictor style ambush, personally.

If you take out the support guard crumble to morale fairly fast. I think a lot of armies can be but most of them have ways to mitigate it. Creates some interesting counterplay I think.

Snipers targeting commissars and officers are terrifying to a guard player.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
5 Reivers throw out like... 16 attacks on top of their shooting/grenades. That's not super shabby. The -1 to hit on the grenade seems super awesome, Vindicare Assassins have a similar thing with Blind grenades, but I haven't gotten to test those out due to the uh...average range of engagement on that model.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

The Bee posted:

They mentioned special abilities, plural, so I doubt this is everything. I'm hoping they get a Lictor style ambush, personally.

My fire warriors, kroot, and drones tend to take heavy losses from morale. Crisis suits are protected by their small unit size.

It seems like militarum infantry squads without commander or komissar support would get decimated too

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
If you kill enough of them Orks can actually take some pretty nasty losses from morale these days.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm building a Guard army for 8th, focused around small-unit really mobile infantry, and had some questions on a decent build focusing on a core of scions and a couple of tauroxes.

Before I go out any pick up a bunch of scout bikes, has anyone had much experience with rough riders in this edition yet? I'm curious as how they play versus a similar priced unit of scions or even a regular infantry squad.
Also, from play testing I feel that my total number of shots are rather low for what I have. Any advice?

1500pt Generic List concept:
Guard Unbound:
1x Tempestor Prime - Yelling stick, powerfist
2x platoon commanders - power weapons
1x Commissar- Plasma, powersword
1x Scion Command - Plasma, Plasma, Flamer, Vox
1x Special Weapons - Plasma, Melta, Sniper

2x Five man scion squads - Vox, plasma gun, power fist plasma pistol
1x Five man scion squad - vox, Volley gun, Power sword, bolt pistol
6x Rough Riders - Lances, Laspistols, Chainswords, Sgt w/ Powersword and plasma pistol
1x Valkyrie- Lascannons,

1x Heavy weapons (lascannons)
1x Heavy weapons (autocannons)

1x Taurox Prime, battle cannon, auto cannons
2x Taurox, autocannons

Auxiliary Detachment:
1x Custodian guard squad- Spears, Captain with Sword and knife.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Why so many squads with:

1) Mixed weapons (the sws with plas/melta/sniper sticks out especially)
2) Less than the max number of special weapons
3) CC weapons (especially on stuff like 5-man scions who are gonna get obliterated long before they're swinging that power fist at anyone)

Those are the reason you feel like you have less firepower than you should - so many unfocused squads with a little bit of everything, and tons of points in poo poo like plasma pistols and power weapons when there's special weapon slots going unused.

Same with the Rough Riders - the best use of them is to deliver cheap, fast special weapons all over the place. You have six naked squads of them doing nothing in particular.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

This makes me wonder if the Easy Build kits come with power for a 3-Reiver unit, like the 4 power Intercessor datasheet. Being able to run these in several squads of 3 would be nuts.

Those look great. Hopefully GW will get the multiple part kits out soon so I can avoid helmets.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Corrode posted:

Same with the Rough Riders - the best use of them is to deliver cheap, fast special weapons all over the place. You have six naked squads of them doing nothing in particular.

I screwed up that listing, among other stuff-
I have 1 squad of 6 bikers, I stuck 2 melta guns in that squad.

With the rest of your advice, I was trying to go with versatility. I haven't played in about 2 editions, and the only thing I've been active in is SW:A and other skirmish level stuff so I'm thinking really low level stuff.

I completely spaced out on the fact that you can have 2x special weapons per scion squad, thinking the vox-caster counted as one.
Thanks for the input!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That's a surprisingly good amount of armies that morale applies to. Seems like Reivers are going to especially be making the Tau miserable. Weak, fragile gunlines? Low morale? Deny them their precious Overwatch? Yeah, Reivers are going to be jamming them into lockers and laughing. A proper sniper unit to make characters go away will also help Tyranids and Guardsmen crumple. Orks, I'm unsure. Reivers seem too small unit-wise to make the green tide crumble, especially if their effect doesn't stack.

If it does stack, small MSU pockets of Reivers are going to be hellish.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I just don't understand the concept of "stripped down" MK X armour giving exactly the same save as normal?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

That's a surprisingly good amount of armies that morale applies to. Seems like Reivers are going to especially be making the Tau miserable. Weak, fragile gunlines? Low morale? Deny them their precious Overwatch? Yeah, Reivers are going to be jamming them into lockers and laughing. A proper sniper unit to make characters go away will also help Tyranids and Guardsmen crumple. Orks, I'm unsure. Reivers seem too small unit-wise to make the green tide crumble, especially if their effect doesn't stack.

If it does stack, small MSU pockets of Reivers are going to be hellish.

10 men with 3 attacks and 2 wounds each seems like enough to make a sizeable dent?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

ANAmal.net posted:

I think it's at my house, in Owings Mills. I'll PM everyone the details after I've had a bit more wine.

My dude, I am extremely OK with that.

Sweet, let's fuckin' do this. Between you three and Sex Cannon, who I assume is still into slamming hams, and the dudes I'm going to bring (TheChirurgeon and hangers-on), we should at 8, so I think the 3 tables I can run will be sufficient, just do a team game or two.

Details forthcoming, and if anyone else wants in a slamming hams in the Baltimore suburbs, slide into my DMs. Preferably don't be too much of a weirdo, and you 100% can murder me, but not anyone else, and don't let my cats outside.

EDIT: It has occurred to me that I neglected to quote forums user JoshTheStampede, who I am mentioning here so I can look at this post and remember who to PM later.

Thanks for taking care of all this, man. I just moved and am without internet at home, so this is the first dose of postin' I've had since Thursday. I might have a lead on a cupola folding tables and a fat mat or two. Lemme slide into those DMs and we'll see what's up.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

HardCoil posted:

I just don't understand the concept of "stripped down" MK X armour giving exactly the same save as normal?

Because there's only 6 numbers available on a D6 system and it's still better than the 4+ of Carapace armour.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

HardCoil posted:

It's the exact same way that all the different smallmarine models of power armor had differences in the fluff that were not reflected on the tabletop.

I do honestly wish they'd given Reivers a 4+ save though. Would have made them interesting.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

HardCoil posted:

Because it's a game

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Help my cobwebby brain make a not-terrible loadout for my Space Wolves from the Start Collecting box.

First, the options present in the build pamphlet are not up to date with 8th edition, correct? I've seen it offer different options than the new Index and when it does I've deferred to the Index.

Second, regarding the 10 SW's that come with it - I've opted to make them Grey Hunters, two of them being Pack Leaders (one with Power Fist, one with Power Sword). I made one Wolf Guard Pack leader for fun, armed with a Wolf Claw and Plasma Pistol. Would you recommend I make the one more that my numbers can support? What would you arm him with? I'm trying to make my army more or less what you see is what you get, so I don't want to gently caress up their gear options in the modeling phase.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

10 men with 3 attacks and 2 wounds each seems like enough to make a sizeable dent?

Lets do some Mathhammer and find out! Max size Reiver squad vs. max size squad of Boyz.

We start things off with a barrage of heavy bolt pistols. Heavy Bolt Pistols seem to be Bolt Pistols with a -1 armor save tacked on, judging by the site description. 9 Primaris will fire 9 of the things at a BS 3+, while the last will throw a shock grenade to disable overwatch and make the Orks return fire in melee less of a problem. Going back to our pistols, this means approximately 2/3rds of the shots will make their mark, for 6 hits. I'll err on the side of caution and assume S4, like a normal bolt pistol. At T4, this means we're hitting these Boyz at a 4+. Another 50% of the shots go through, for a net of 3 making wounds. Their 6+ save is counteracted by a -1 from the Heavy Bolt pistol, so all of the shots that go through make their mark. We get 3 boyz fallen just from the opening volley, taking them down from 30 to 27.

Next comes the melee. Fortunately, the strength of a Primaris is exactly the same as that of a bolt pistol, and their BS and WS are equal, so we don't have to recalculate anything! However, we do have to scale up. 10 marines swing 3 times each, with the sergeant getting a 4th as well. That's a whopping 31 attacks heading for the boyz. 31 * (2/3) = 20.6666667 attacks landing. Multiply by (1/2) = 10.3333334 making wounds. Now the Boyz get to save, however, shrugging off 1/6th of the wounds. Multiply for 5/6, get 8.61111117 wounds sticking. That's a total of 11 to 12 Boyz going down, bringing them all the way to 18 left. Fun fact, that's just enough to get them out of Green Tide range!

Of course, now comes the counterattack. Lets be charitable and assume we charged into a giant pile of Shoota Boyz, because it'd be kinda silly to commit your infantry linebreakers to diving into an assault manpile. The remaining 17 boyz get 2 attacks each, each hitting on a 3+ and wounding on a 4+ just like the Reivers' attacks did. However, presuming the Shock Grenade hits, they'll only hit on a 4+ instead. 34 * (1/2) * (1/2) = 8.5 wounds made. However, Primaris save on a 3+ rather than the 6+ Boyz save on, so they'll weather 2/3rds of those attacks without a problem. 2.83333 wounds stick. Then the Boss Nob comes in. Not only does he swing for 3 attacks, but he also has more strength than our Reiver has toughness. This means he has a 2/3rds chance of wounding instead. 3 * (1/2) * (2/3) * (1/3) = about .333 wounds made. Put this together with the 2.833, and only one Reiver ends up going down for the count. In his place, 12 Orkz have fallen. Not too bad, I'd say.

Now for the important question: will this break their morale? 12 Orkz have been slain, and per Mob Rule they now have a leadership on 18. 12+1d6 cannot exceed 18, so no Orkz end up breaking. However, due to the Terror Troops rule, the Orkz subtract 1 from their leadership roll. The chances still aren't great, but 1/6th of the time an Ork will break ranks and run, despite currently outnumbering the Reivers two to one.

They aren't raising hell on the Orkz' morale. But I'd say that's a drat good turn, all things considered.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Bee posted:

Yeah, Reivers are going to be jamming them into lockers and laughing.

Great, now I can't think of Reivers without putting them in 50's jock letter jackets.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm actually kind of excited for Reivers being available to the Deathwatch, they're actually cheaper than a normal Kill Team vet. Hopefully they get something like Infiltrate or Scout to get a little more mobility.

HardCoil posted:

The game's not granular enough; it's closer to power armor than carapace armor.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Because it's a game

But...
:goonsay:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

Lets do some Mathhammer and find out! Max size Reiver squad vs. max size squad of Boyz.

We start things off with a barrage of heavy bolt pistols. Heavy Bolt Pistols seem to be Bolt Pistols with a -1 armor save tacked on, judging by the site description. 9 Primaris will fire 9 of the things at a BS 3+, while the last will throw a shock grenade to disable overwatch and make the Orks return fire in melee less of a problem. Going back to our pistols, this means approximately 2/3rds of the shots will make their mark, for 6 hits. I'll err on the side of caution and assume S4, like a normal bolt pistol. At T4, this means we're hitting these Boyz at a 4+. Another 50% of the shots go through, for a net of 3 making wounds. Their 6+ save is counteracted by a -1 from the Heavy Bolt pistol, so all of the shots that go through make their mark. We get 3 boyz fallen just from the opening volley, taking them down from 30 to 27.

Next comes the melee. Fortunately, the strength of a Primaris is exactly the same as that of a bolt pistol, and their BS and WS are equal, so we don't have to recalculate anything! However, we do have to scale up. 10 marines swing 3 times each, with the sergeant getting a 4th as well. That's a whopping 31 attacks heading for the boyz. 31 * (2/3) = 20.6666667 attacks landing. Multiply by (1/2) = 10.3333334 making wounds. Now the Boyz get to save, however, shrugging off 1/6th of the wounds. Multiply for 5/6, get 8.61111117 wounds sticking. That's a total of 11 to 12 Boyz going down, bringing them all the way to 18 left. Fun fact, that's just enough to get them out of Green Tide range!

Of course, now comes the counterattack. Lets be charitable and assume we charged into a giant pile of Shoota Boyz, because it'd be kinda silly to commit your infantry linebreakers to diving into an assault manpile. The remaining 17 boyz get 2 attacks each, each hitting on a 3+ and wounding on a 4+ just like the Reivers' attacks did. However, presuming the Shock Grenade hits, they'll only hit on a 4+ instead. 34 * (1/2) * (1/2) = 8.5 wounds made. However, Primaris save on a 3+ rather than the 6+ Boyz save on, so they'll weather 2/3rds of those attacks without a problem. 2.83333 wounds stick. Then the Boss Nob comes in. Not only does he swing for 3 attacks, but he also has more strength than our Reiver has toughness. This means he has a 2/3rds chance of wounding instead. 3 * (1/2) * (2/3) * (1/3) = about .333 wounds made. Put this together with the 2.833, and only one Reiver ends up going down for the count. In his place, 12 Orkz have fallen. Not too bad, I'd say.

Now for the important question: will this break their morale? 12 Orkz have been slain, and per Mob Rule they now have a leadership on 18. 12+1d6 cannot exceed 18, so no Orkz end up breaking. However, due to the Terror Troops rule, the Orkz subtract 1 from their leadership roll. The chances still aren't great, but 1/6th of the time an Ork will break ranks and run, despite currently outnumbering the Reivers two to one.

They aren't raising hell on the Orkz' morale. But I'd say that's a drat good turn, all things considered.

If you can get literally any fire on the squad before that combat you stand decent odds of murdering the rest of them through morale too, 3 kills and they're losing d6 guys.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
30 Boyz is 180 so toss a PK on the Nob to even it out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

If you can get literally any fire on the squad before that combat you stand decent odds of murdering the rest of them through morale too, 3 kills and they're losing d6 guys.

Oooh, that's true. I was imagining a hypothetical Reivers vs. Boyz with no interference to see how much Reivers could do on their own, but you're right that even the slightest amount of covering fire will help prune this unit to a ridiculous extent.

Power Klaw makes sense as an odds-evener. Only hitting on a 5+ after the Shock Grenade is unfortunate, but wounding on a 2+, denying the Primaris a save bonus, and standing a good chance of killing a Primaris outright. That means the Boyz can get a lot nastier on a follow-up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Great, now I can't think of Reivers without putting them in 50's jock letter jackets.

Jeans with cuffs and greased back duck's rear end hairdo. I'm on board for this take.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

Oooh, that's true. I was imagining a hypothetical Reivers vs. Boyz with no interference to see how much Reivers could do on their own, but you're right that even the slightest amount of covering fire will help prune this unit to a ridiculous extent.

Power Klaw makes sense as an odds-evener. Only hitting on a 5+ after the Shock Grenade is unfortunate, but wounding on a 2+, denying the Primaris a save bonus, and standing a good chance of killing a Primaris outright. That means the Boyz can get a lot nastier on a follow-up.

OTOH pistols every turn is sick nasty.

That said I don't see why anyone should be running Shoota Boyz this edition.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

HardCoil posted:

They're space marines. You can strip out all of the space parts of the armor.

Also the poop stuff. They probably have to poop like normal because the suit doesnt recycle it.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

The Bee posted:

A proper sniper unit to make characters go away will also help Tyranids and Guardsmen crumple.

Your gonna need a hell of a lot of snipers to kill all the synapse in a Nids list. I normally have 2 Malenthropes and a Tervigon (no need for snipers here). So just to kill my basic synapse your snipers need to do 18 wounds (with minus one to hit) and you need to kill the Tervigon (also minus one to hit). That doesn't even consider the other sources of synapse I often bring like Zonethropea, Hive tyrant, and Warriors.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Your gonna need a hell of a lot of snipers to kill all the synapse in a Nids list. I normally have 2 Malenthropes and a Tervigon (no need for snipers here). So just to kill my basic synapse your snipers need to do 18 wounds (with minus one to hit) and you need to kill the Tervigon (also minus one to hit). That doesn't even consider the other sources of synapse I often bring like Zonethropea, Hive tyrant, and Warriors.

Yeah, snipers aren't gonna take out monsters or any proper large HQ - but they will do a number on officers, commisars, apthecaries, ancients, etc.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

OTOH pistols every turn is sick nasty.

That said I don't see why anyone should be running Shoota Boyz this edition.

I only used Shootas because I don't think committing your small group of melee specialists to charging a giant mob of Choppas is very smart, but still wanted to test the impact Reivers would have against a mob of Boyz. That said, I'm running the test for Choppas, and it doesn't seem . . . too terrible of a result.

If we were using Choppas, the Boyz would get 3 hits instead of 2. That's 4 wounds doled out, and if he hits the Power Klaw nob mulches another Primaris with ease. 3 Primaris down, but about half of the squad dead. If we take Artum's advice and give the Reivers covering fire before they go in, that's basically a broken melee squad at the cost of three Reivers. Not bad at all!

Of course, the Ork player could then use a strategem to attack first, and that is not a fun day for the Reivers. Assuming nothing but a pistol volley and a Shock Grenade for covering fire hit them this turn, 26 boys belt out 4 attacks each due to Green Tide. Even with the Shock Grenade going off, 26 * 4 * (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/3) averages 8.66666667 wounds, enough to kill half of your squad. That's before the Power Klaw Nob takes down another, halving your Reiver squad. Now you're only dealing about 4 wounds, 16*(2/3)*(1/2)*(5/6). That's about 7 Boyz dead and 2 Command Points sponged up, at the cost of half of a melee unit that the Boyz will tear to pieces next turn.

Don't charge Choppas.

As for Snipers vs. Synapse, I was thinking small babysitters like Warriors at most. An HQ is going to take a lot more than that to bring down.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The strategem to let you fight with the chargers doesn't let you fight FIRST - if the Reivers are your only charge that turn or you choose them to fight first, the Orks can't interrupt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

The strategem to let you fight with the chargers doesn't let you fight FIRST - if the Reivers are your only charge that turn or you choose them to fight first, the Orks can't interrupt them.

Oh, poo poo, nevermind then! Thanks for catching that reading.

Charge Choppers, but only with proper discretion.