Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm.

Off the top of my head you don't have any real opportunities for synergy, but you should still be able to cobble something together.

You don't have any boostgas, so your best bet is probably going to be characters with the ability to buff themselves. Sephiroth has access to Dark and Samurai skills, which means with Dark Bargain and Hailstorm he can tank both DEF and RES for two big, stacking ATK boost. It'll make him a lot scarier than he currently is.

Zell with Meteor Crush can also boost his own ATK, which is going to put him up over your other options. Throw lifesiphon on him as well, as he has one of the best physical BSBs in terms of raw damage.

Sephiroth
Zell

You don't always need both protectga and shellga, but having a Knight like Beatrix carry any extra White Magic you need is helpful. You've got a bit of a flex spot still. For example, some bosses drawtaliate strategies still work on, and Gilgamesh can do it easily to protect your team from counters.

RW: Wall is going to help, but you're still lacking a hastega (this is only found on soul breaks). If you think you can handle the damage, RW: Shout will also help you out.

Edit: Also, if you haven't already, level Tyro and Cloud for their L65 RMs that let you begin with a SB gauge bar

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Really solid tips; thanks a bunch. :)

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

Really solid tips; thanks a bunch. :)

Join the goon discord. Most of us hang out there and give out plenty of help/advice. Also makes it really easy to find groups for the multiplayer battles. A lot of us vets are willing to do MP carries for lower geared players.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

While orbfest lasts, you can level characters quickly by running a single character and RW an instant attack all SB. Shadow's works well. If you get the RMs that give a chance for double XP, you can really clean up - I got a bunch of chars to 80 and 99 over the fest.

If you have problems keeping your character​ alive, remember that the reward for all three battles is only a little gil. Clear one group and RW twice and then retreat if needed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been egging people to 80 because I'm impatient

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've been egging people to 80 because I'm impatient

I haven't been but in reality there's no actual reason to sit on hundreds of Major Eggs, either

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
It has been so loving long since I've done a torment. I forgot about how horrible the trash mobs are. Time to get started with the first bahamut, and hopefully I'll have enough power with zack and luneth's bsbs to beat the next level so I can curb stomp the jumpstart.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Needs some help with the 300 torment.

Initially had a RW wall build with which getting to the cure phase was trivial but killing him was impossible. Then I RW'd "heavy wind damage" with Meteor Shots:

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/mB5d (just imagine the RW being Meteor Shots)

So I get to the weak phase and RW Meteor Shots with Vaan and Ingus, Bahamut having double imperil then. Vessel of Fate active Fujin CMD 1 is doing ~10k total, Vaan and Ingus with Zack CMD1 are doing a a bit below. Then after each hit he heals for 8+k after Mind Breakdown. This ain't happening.

Looking at the team stats it seems the hybrid build ends up being too weak. Vaan probably needs to stay to dull its damage but should I replace Ingus with a mage, Cloud of Darkness (SSB)? Have her carry the skill Faith to further buff magic and RW what, Alph BSB? I'd think there's something that can be done but I'm really unfamiliar with big numbers strategies having always relied on quantity over quality.

Or just throw in the towel and level the III crew to 99 and try again when it comes back?

Do you have any other wind bursts at all? Fujin's probably redundant there with Vaan, but assuming this is your best team for this, I think you should consider RWing Cloud USB. Between Vaan and Fujin, his attacks should be gimped to hell anyway.

Drop mind break from Vaan and replace it with either dash and slash or thieves revenge.

Anyway, just make the most of your two uses with Vaan. But most importantly for Vaan, save at least one burst, one RW, and 2 ability uses for the final phase. You might be able to out DPS his heals and finish the fucker.

Also, did you level Cloud to 99? His Truthseeker RM would help a lot with this strategy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
How much better is Zach's Imperil BSB than Fang's? I know the commands are significantly faster, but does each hit produce the same amount of SB?

The damage on Fang's is really bad, enough so that I might be tempted to just life siphon so I can stack imperils quicker, is Zach any different?

I have a level 99 Fang and level 80 Zach, wondering if I should bother bringing him to 99 if I only have his BSB.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Man I love orbfest xp. In 9 rounds 5 were mini cactaurs and two were regular cactaurs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've mastered almost every relic I had laying around unused. Got a few more nerds to 99, and a bunch of others to 50/65.

Gonna have a lot more options for future CMs and raids.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

KPC_Mammon posted:

How much better is Zach's Imperil BSB than Fang's? I know the commands are significantly faster, but does each hit produce the same amount of SB?

The damage on Fang's is really bad, enough so that I might be tempted to just life siphon so I can stack imperils quicker, is Zach any different?

I have a level 99 Fang and level 80 Zach, wondering if I should bother bringing him to 99 if I only have his BSB.

Fang is doing less damage because it's AoE compared to Zack's Random Target BSB. Since most major bosses don't have adds or anything, Zack will always do more damage. With more then one target Fang will come ahead for DPS. Zack also does Earth/Wind damage on entry instead of Wind/NE which is occasionally relevant.

Zack's Commands generate the same amount of SB. They're slightly weaker then Fang's but he comes ahead from the cast speed on those commands. It's really only a bad thing when you're trying to avoid counters, like the FFIII Torment.

If you already have Fang at 99, I wouldn't make Zack a priority for levelling.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 8, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Not having any FF3 relics better than an SSB means no Spirit 5* motes for me :smith:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

iamsosmrt posted:

Do you have any other wind bursts at all? Fujin's probably redundant there with Vaan, but assuming this is your best team for this, I think you should consider RWing Cloud USB. Between Vaan and Fujin, his attacks should be gimped to hell anyway.

Drop mind break from Vaan and replace it with either dash and slash or thieves revenge.

Anyway, just make the most of your two uses with Vaan. But most importantly for Vaan, save at least one burst, one RW, and 2 ability uses for the final phase. You might be able to out DPS his heals and finish the fucker.

Also, did you level Cloud to 99? His Truthseeker RM would help a lot with this strategy.

Thanks, I'll try Cloud USB with Vaan. I don't have Dash&Slash or Thief's Revenge (or Mug Bloodlust) either, I just got Vaan BSB off the fest and he's my first thief so it's a bit of a WIP. I can't craft them either since while I have a ton of Wind, Earth and Lightning orbs I have no Darks (no regrets from honing Dark Zone to R3, honest).

My Cloud is only 80 and his 99 is on the radar but I can't get him there in time for this torment. I'm out of eggs from going after some recent CMs.

I'm not sure if that's the best team for the job, I could try to bring some of the usuals:
Lightning(BSB2/OSB)
Ramza(USB/SSB1+2)
Agrias (BSB/OSB)
Firion (BSB)
TGCid(OSB)
Golbez (BSB)
Ysh(BSB)

For wind bursts.. Uh.. I've got Squall with BSB1, CMD2 is wind damage I guess but it's a pretty darn weak burst. I'm pretty sure that's it, wind is a rough weakness for me.

Chant could be a decent choice if going for Cloud USB RW so maybe Ramza over.. Ingus and try it with just two dudes from III? Possibly replace Fujin with a physical DPS as well and have Ramza shout once early game and then Shout+Chant when he's low?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I pulled once on the FF7 banner.

I didn't get Force Stealer (RIP) but I did get both of Cait Sith's megaphones. I didn't have a pentabreak before (and didn't have anyone useful with Dancer access) so that's a plus, I guess?

Also Rufus' Combat Shotgun, but Mako Barrage doesn't fit quite so well in my group.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Prism posted:

I pulled once on the FF7 banner.

I didn't get Force Stealer (RIP) but I did get both of Cait Sith's megaphones. I didn't have a pentabreak before (and didn't have anyone useful with Dancer access) so that's a plus, I guess?

Also Rufus' Combat Shotgun, but Mako Barrage doesn't fit quite so well in my group.

Bad news: you still don't have a pentabreak. Cait Sith's SSB is just full breakdown; 10% stronger than full break, but does not stack with it.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I tried the 300 with Cloud USB. Vaan hits really hard with it and Chant active doing ~18k per CMD use.

Vaan is a good boy who tries his best but he needs a friend to help him. It's just not enough.

I'm gonna let this one go. Next time I'll have Thief's Revenge, Truthseeker and a 99 Vaan at least.

If nothing else Vaan made one hell of an impression: a hard hitting DPS who somehow does a support's job on the side like it's nothing. Welcome to the A team, kid.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

Bad news: you still don't have a pentabreak. Cait Sith's SSB is just full breakdown; 10% stronger than full break, but does not stack with it.

It's still more than I had before, tbh, as long as it stacks with the dances and/or his Burst commands. I was really struggling for lack of being able to dance in some encounters; since I have no breaks at all for Tyro, I couldn't even make him do it. Ramza carrying Full Break and maybe one Breakdown was all I had.

I'm not going to argue it was the best pull ever (it isn't) but it's something I can probably make use of sometimes, which is better than I get on a lot of pulls.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 9, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

been a while since I got what I felt was the worst possible roll on a banner. Oh well.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
After talking about Rikku and Lulu's banner for months I'm pretty sure my budgeted mythril is just going to wind up netting me a 8* pair of Jorts.

I've got to prepare myself for that possibility.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I gave up on the three man team for the 300 difficulty torment, I was always running out of healing/defense or offense. Simply replacing Arc with Yshtola gave me an easy win. The rest of my team was: Ramza/Vaan/Refia/Luneth.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Whereas I was finally able to squeak by the single FF3 character CM since I remembered I had Onion Knight's Onion Sword for Onion Slice (onion). With R3 Full Charge and R1 Omega Drive he was able to provide just enough DPS to get into Bahamut's Curaja phase, then let his SSB do some work. But it took over an hour to get the setup right, and there's no way I could handle any more FF3 characters since I have no FF3 BSBs and my only Wind BSB is Fujin's.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I tried the 300 with Cloud USB. Vaan hits really hard with it and Chant active doing ~18k per CMD use.

Vaan is a good boy who tries his best but he needs a friend to help him. It's just not enough.

I'm gonna let this one go. Next time I'll have Thief's Revenge, Truthseeker and a 99 Vaan at least.

If nothing else Vaan made one hell of an impression: a hard hitting DPS who somehow does a support's job on the side like it's nothing. Welcome to the A team, kid.

Godspeed. I'm sure you'll get it down the line. Your holy team sounds like it could do it now though, if you feel like going through he trouble that is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cinnamon Bear posted:

After talking about Rikku and Lulu's banner for months I'm pretty sure my budgeted mythril is just going to wind up netting me a 8* pair of Jorts.

I've got to prepare myself for that possibility.

I read this as Rikku's Brother and got excited

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read this as Rikku's Brother and got excited
... why

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You know Brother is coming eventually.

And probably some of the other X-2 characters/villains.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If the game keeps going, we'll eventually have everyone with a name.

Honestly a little surprised that we have yet to get any version of Biggs and Wedge. Maybe they'll have them be a paired character (two characters as one unit).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If DENA gave me the power to veto one thing out of Record Keeper, I would probably use it to make certain they never acknowledge Brother's existance in any capacity

Biggs and Wedge would be good though

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Poor XIV Jump Start. Focused Bolt's entry did 200k damage, so I don't really know if you were supposed to be difficult.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
GOD Cloud'd USB makes such a big difference, 88k damage per Omega drive gently caress! Lost one medal to damage taken and that's it for the Jumpstart.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man that's twice that I've DCed out of winning MP runs because of Warder's Apocrypha. They really need to fix that and Hidden Bloom.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man that's twice that I've DCed out of winning MP runs because of Warder's Apocrypha. They really need to fix that and Hidden Bloom.

Oh, is there a known bug with those? Because Hidden Bloom crashes my ipad pretty consistently for some reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Oh, is there a known bug with those? Because Hidden Bloom crashes my ipad pretty consistently for some reason.

They do seem to crash the game fairly frequently for iOS I think. I've had Apocrypha go off successfully but it's very inconsistent.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I spent hours grinding out 50 Mithril because I'm really interested in buffing my newbie FFXII team before the banner and events leave. I pull on the banner, having one artifact from it already. 11/12 chance to get something usable, right?

Guess what relic I got, with nothing else? :negative:

I understand all of you now, and feel your pain.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Look on the bright side. That item is now ever-so-slightly better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I spent hours grinding out 50 Mithril because I'm really interested in buffing my newbie FFXII team before the banner and events leave. I pull on the banner, having one artifact from it already. 11/12 chance to get something usable, right?

Guess what relic I got, with nothing else? :negative:

I understand all of you now, and feel your pain.

My three platinum shields and I laugh at your pain.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

5 High Summoner's Robes in back-to-back 11-pulls on the FFX banner with Tidus's CSB.

I still have no FFX relic above an SSB, same as FFIII.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I see now the true evil of ftp games

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ceaselessfuture posted:

I see now the true evil of ftp games

And this game is probably the gentlest f2p game ive played! At least, on phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
All you guys who started playing after guaranteed 5* items on 11-pulls have it so good.

• Locked thread