Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That place looks like a child ate a box of pastels and then projectile vomited them up everywhere. The lady, the home, it's all way too high energy and childish for my tastes. It works for the set of some sort of kids show with her as the host but I could never live somewhere so overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Baronjutter posted:

That place looks like a child ate a box of pastels and then projectile vomited them up everywhere. The lady, the home, it's all way too high energy and childish for my tastes. It works for the set of some sort of kids show with her as the host but I could never live somewhere so overwhelming.

Agreed, but having seen other attempts at "rainbow" and "colorful" DIY paint jobs, she managed to pick a color palette for her rainbows that is at least harmonious. Her paint application is really nice, as well. People are really good at picking one shade of paint that fucks up the entire color scheme. I have also seen many DIY "textured" effects look worse. It's actually really hard to get good "random" splashes of color, for example.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This couple looks like they're a lot of fun and I would like to be their friend. I would also like to know how she achieved this multicolored wall effect:

From what I gathered from the video I posted earlier, I think it involves dabbing paint onto the wall and then blending it with a sponge. She's unusually good at it, I think.

MC Jaded Burnout posted:

Didn't see a single car :/

Daaaaaaaaaad... :rolleyes:

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 9, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How not to stage a house (featuring Lisa Frank posters hung with thumbtacks)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Those aren't Lisa Frank posters at all. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If you want incredibly nice, I also found this guy. http://www.knockdoorbells.com/vintage_chimes_longbells.htm He restores old ones and also has new ones of his own design. I'm surprised he doesn't have recordings up, but if you're in that end of the pool, you could email and ask and I'm sure he'd give you recordings in equally exhausting detail.
Well that is a thing I didn't know I needed. Those longbells are gorgeous.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I don't even have a doorbell :smug:

the house is too small to really warrant it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I looked it up and Paradise, CA is right by Helltown. It forms a perfect triangle with Sacramento and Reno :nutshot:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Youth Decay posted:

Daba dee daba die

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

What feature of the house is this supposed to be showing off. It shows that the paint job is slapdash and inconsistent, but I can't imagine that's a feature a real estate listing wants to highlight. What is it they want me to see?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I had that exact dolphin print on the cover of a spiral notebook when I was thirteen and it was so ridiculous even then that I cringed every time I had to pull it out.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

What feature of the house is this supposed to be showing off. It shows that the paint job is slapdash and inconsistent, but I can't imagine that's a feature a real estate listing wants to highlight. What is it they want me to see?

The unique work of art in the middle ground, obviously. It unsettles me like the character designs for all the adults in Rugrats did.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Those pictures must have come from the homeowner and not someone who understands they're trying to sell a house. They're showing off furniture and artwork they're proud of and snow they think is pretty. It would be all about "How not to stage a house" if not for their devotion to that decorating scheme.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Speaking of HGTV: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/car-smashes-into-fixer-upper-house/article_bb418fb0-0e9e-5d5a-80e9-cc659032e3e6.html

quote:

By Saturday afternoon, plywood sheets covered the hole in the exterior wall. Inside, Ken Downs picked through a floor covered with rubble, broken ceramics and electronics, books and splintered shiplap for anything salvageable from his home office. Nearby, at a dining room table built by Clint Harp, a weary Kelly Downs considered how serious the wreck could have been.

In the home renovation by “Fixer Upper’s” Chip and Joanna Gaines, a brick fireplace had been relocated in the office and likely was what stopped the car. The next room the car would have hit, was the bedroom where they were sleeping when the crash happened, Kelly Downs said.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

While the Downses encountered some problems with their home after moving in, the neighborhood had issues they did not expect: late-night noise from nearby bars, suspicious activity and push-back, some of it anti-“Fixer Upper,” from local residents when they complained to police.

“We have been intimidated and harassed,” Kelly Downs said. “People have complained about their taxes going up because we moved here. Store owners have complained about taxes.”

She recently polled neighbors for interest in creating a Neighborhood Watch group and found that, while half expressed an interest, others wanted no change in the status quo.

After the wreck Saturday she said she wonders why Magnolia Realty showed them a property in such an area and why the city hasn’t done more to reply to their complaints.

Somehow I think neighbors being annoyed at your gentrifying isn't all that related to a drunk running his car into your house one night. Also how do you not notice the bar across the street when you're house hunting?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Those pictures must have come from the homeowner and not someone who understands they're trying to sell a house. They're showing off furniture and artwork they're proud of and snow they think is pretty. It would be all about "How not to stage a house" if not for their devotion to that decorating scheme.
The description feels like it's written by the homeowner, too:

quote:

Very colorful mobile home with 2 bedrooms 2 baths, freshly painted outside, newer counter tops, and 6 burner stove in kitchen, dishwasher, laundry facilities off kitchen. central heat and swamp cooler. roof has be redone recently. Home sits on a large lot completely fenced with three gates going into property. Home has solar that belongs to the seller. there is a well on the property that is connected to solar. Shop with a small cellar and wood stove, and a small shed. there is 2 pear apple trees, 3 apple trees, Big cherry tree, Green fig tree that produces lots of figs. Herb garden are fenced. Lots of RV parking and a Enclosed carport with a garage door. Yard has lots of flowers, and different trees.

It loops around to making me feel kind of bad for making fun of it. They're trying so hard. :ohdear:

there wolf posted:

Also how do you not notice the bar across the street when you're house hunting?
The same way people buy property near an airport, then proceed to complain about the noise from the planes. People get weird tunnel vision when buying a place.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

It loops around to making me feel kind of bad for making fun of it. They're trying so hard. :ohdear:

Yeah that person loves that home. And honestly, fruit trees and fenced-in yard are kinda winning me over.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Yeah, I kinda like it better with the full description. I can paint over dolphins.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Here's the intersection in question:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+19th+St+%26+Alexander+Ave,+Waco,+TX+76708/@31.5691407,-97.1661749,570m/

I have no sympathy for people that buy within 2 blocks of 2 separate bars and then complain about noise.

When we bought our current house, I stopped by the neighborhood multiple times on different days and at different times of day to gauge what it was really like. I get that some housing markets make this difficult (we had plenty of time to make an offer), but you should at least get to know the overall area you're looking in. Or at least drive a block or two in each direction before you sign the purchase papers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMadMilkman posted:

Here's the intersection in question:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+19th+St+%26+Alexander+Ave,+Waco,+TX+76708/@31.5691407,-97.1661749,570m/

I have no sympathy for people that buy within 2 blocks of 2 separate bars and then complain about noise.
Maybe they just saw they were in walking distance of a good taqueria and stopped asking questions.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

When we bought our current house, I stopped by the neighborhood multiple times on different days and at different times of day to gauge what it was really like. I get that some housing markets make this difficult (we had plenty of time to make an offer), but you should at least get to know the overall area you're looking in. Or at least drive a block or two in each direction before you sign the purchase papers.

After independently speaking to two people who lived on the street and gettting the same answer (good area, great schools, road noise is about the same as it is now, yes we hear the train line at the back a bit but no fast loud trains, the parking's really bad but you'd have off-street space) I was happy enough. Took 20 minutes and I did it straight after viewing the property.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We probably could have spent more time on the property before we bought but there's a good amount of space around the perimeter of the house (for the philly burbs atleast) that I wasn't too concerned.

Now if I could have lived there in the fall and had to be responsible for all the leaf pickup that needs to be done I might not have signed the papers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd want to spend the night or visit at like 11pm or something when buying a house.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
^^^
Try driving by at 2 or 3am. You want to know what it's like when people are walking home from second shift jobs and closing bars.

Haifisch posted:

The description feels like it's written by the homeowner, too:

quote:

Home has solar that belongs to the seller. there is a well on the property that is connected to solar.

Is the seller taking the solar with them? What else is the well used for and is removal of the solar going to mess that up?
I couldn't live with their color scheme but I can tell they loved it and tried hard. I feel bad they have to sell it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Are we allowed to ask for furniture arrangement help in here? We just went under contract to build our next house and I'm trying to figure out how to set the family room up.

Here's the family room, it's 19'8"x17'

As much as I'd like to avoid putting the TV above the fireplace, based on the room layout I feel like it might be our best option, there are 2 cut-ins/nooks or whatever you want to call it on either side of the fireplace that we can do whatever with. My thought right now is a layout like below:

A nice L-sectional for most of the seating, ottoman/coffee table and either a pair of side chairs or maybe just 1 (haven't ironed out that part), with the TV over the fireplace and storage cabinets in the cut-ins/nooks (1 would house AV equipment).

Does anyone have any other ideas? I've tried mocking up with the TV to the right or left of the fireplace or with it on that smaller wall that has the stairs on the other side but it always ends up feeling like the room is lopsided.

If this is the wrong thread I'll edit/delete this, just seemed like the best thread for it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Are those windows up top floor-to-ceiling?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Put the TV IN the fireplace, burn it, then roll your eyes and say "I don't even own a TV" when people try to discuss any topic with you.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Are those windows up top floor-to-ceiling?

Nah, standard window height.

edit: found a picture from the model, hopefully they don't block linking:

Baronjutter posted:

Put the TV IN the fireplace, burn it, then roll your eyes and say "I don't even own a TV" when people try to discuss any topic with you.

Ugh, read a book you normies.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ouhei posted:

But I burnt them all and now I say, "Ugh, I don't even own a book"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just put a tv in both nooks :rolleyes:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Ugh, I don't even own a nook."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And a Fire in the Fire place.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Nah, standard window height.

edit: found a picture from the model, hopefully they don't block linking:

Is the TV showing a picture of the kitchen? :allears:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HardDiskD posted:

I love it, that will perfectly match the picture of my breaker panel that I'm going to frame and hang in front of the breaker panel so I don't have to look at the breaker panel.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

Hahaha, it's not the kitchen of that house, I think it's running a slideshow promoting the developer.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ouhei posted:

Are we allowed to ask for furniture arrangement help in here?

Man, I certainly hope so. Our place basically still looks like we're squatting here and at some point I'm hoping to pump you guys for help.

quote:

Does anyone have any other ideas? I've tried mocking up with the TV to the right or left of the fireplace or with it on that smaller wall that has the stairs on the other side but it always ends up feeling like the room is lopsided.

Yeah, it's a tough layout. You could get a corner cabinet for one of the corners on the right, but I doubt it would look okay. That leaves either mounting above the fireplace or having the television take up one of the built-in spaces mounted on an extending and pivoting wall mount. Not exactly ideal since huge flat panels are getting pretty cheap.

Oh, now there's a picture. Weird, the dimensions don't match up with what I had in my head. Anyway, off-centered TV won't work, and so much for a particularly large flatscreen unless you put it where they have a painting and sacrifice a lot of sitting space. This is partly why we don't have a TV in our living room -- we use the den in the finished part of the basement when we want to watch TV.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Man, I certainly hope so. Our place basically still looks like we're squatting here and at some point I'm hoping to pump you guys for help.

Yeah, it's a tough layout. You could get a corner cabinet for one of the corners on the right, but I doubt it would look okay. That leaves either mounting above the fireplace or having the television take up one of the built-in spaces mounted on an extending and pivoting wall mount. Not exactly ideal since huge flat panels are getting pretty cheap.

Oh, now there's a picture. Weird, the dimensions don't match up with what I had in my head. Anyway, off-centered TV won't work, and so much for a particularly large flatscreen unless you put it where they have a painting and sacrifice a lot of sitting space. This is partly why we don't have a TV in our living room -- we use the den in the finished part of the basement when we want to watch TV.

Yeah, I think above the fireplace keeps the room balanced best. I think there's enough room to do a 65" which is what I was planning on buying (that cutout isn't normally in the wall, they did that for the model). That photo does throw the dimensions off a bit, makes it look more square than it is, damned wide angle lenses.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Maybe they just saw they were in walking distance of a good taqueria and stopped asking questions.

I'd love to live within walking distance of a bar (that is not a sad Applebees) but have been a bar patron before, I kind of know that late night noise and drunks being around would be an occurrence.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They make TV mounts that have swing-arms that lower the TV to proper eye height when it's in use, for precisely this kind of fireplace setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, I think above the fireplace keeps the room balanced best. I think there's enough room to do a 65" which is what I was planning on buying (that cutout isn't normally in the wall, they did that for the model). That photo does throw the dimensions off a bit, makes it look more square than it is, damned wide angle lenses.

Went through the interactive walkthrough (the floorplan won't load for some reason) -- you have plenty of places for a truly ginormo TV if you want to have a bunch of people over. The column in our den downstairs just baaaaarely has room for a 55" and it's really plenty for the sitting distance. If you try to make that area your prime TV-watching area people will just all be craning their necks to the side anyway. I'd honestly be tempted not to put a TV in there at all. Use some darker wood trim to make it appear a bit more formal, and put in some nicer bookshelves instead of the chunkier display shelves.

But bear in mind you're talking to a guy whose wife commissioned an oil painting of our dog for the front hallway. Maybe you should not listen to me.