Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the final scene might be fantasy but I think we're also led to believe it's going to happen eventually. There's no reason to think he isn't the model prisoner, and obviously Deborah loves him deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think it's an implausible take on the ending. The visual language just struck me as a clear movement from fantasy to reality. I could be reading it wrong.

I'm having trouble remembering, but doesn't the whole prison montage work in pretty seamless transitions from one shot to the next? The postcard -> him leaving prison transition didn't jump out at me as being unusual in the context.

You pretty clearly see him look into the mirror and close his eyes before the final shot begins. It's very clear that it at least starts as a fantasy, but what happens after that is up for debate.

What I want to know is how deaf is Baby at the end of the movie. In the original script, it's pretty clear that he couldn't hear at all, but I guess at some point they realized that having the last 5 minutes of the movie be completely silent or just a high-pitched whine would be really depressing. The sound is really muffled immediately post-showdown, and then just kind of echo-y for the rest of the movie. It's also possibly the first time the music in the movie isn't diegetic; from the second he turns the car off, all the music is in Baby's head. It's clear something has changed for the worse, but he seems largely aware of when people are talking to him and it seems in that last shot that he can kind of hear the tv.

Going to prison by itself sucks. Going to prison and losing most of your ability to enjoy the main thing that has given your life meaning up until that point would be straight-up soul crushing, girl or no girl.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think it's an implausible take on the ending. The visual language just struck me as a clear movement from fantasy to reality. I could be reading it wrong.

I'm having trouble remembering, but doesn't the whole prison montage work in pretty seamless transitions from one shot to the next? The postcard -> him leaving prison transition didn't jump out at me as being unusual in the context.

The thing that stood out to me as differing from the rest of the montage is that a lot of it seemed to specifically follow the process of his path into prison, in court - going to jail - mugshot - in jail - working - etc. But we don't get that for a release, like, parole hearing - picking up possessions - walking out of prison, etc. Instead we get Deborah's voiceover while he looks at a postcard she sent him with a vintage car on it & then a transition to her by the exact same vintage car. At the same time that's sort of the same shorthand used for Baby getting the pizza job so it isn't like it's out of the movie's visual language. But also they look identical age-wise despite the time difference, it's an expensive car & she's wearing the same retro outfit as in the other fantasy (and I think Baby is too? But I can't remember for certain), it seems odd she would be able to do all that & also match all that (but at the same time 5 years has passed so it's not completely implausible and she was the one who sent the postcard).
But I think I was wrong to say it's a fantasy, because it seems more like it's intentionally ambiguous/enough there for either reading to be plausible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

The thing that stood out to me as differing from the rest of the montage is that a lot of it seemed to specifically follow the process of his path into prison, in court - going to jail - mugshot - in jail - working - etc. But we don't get that for a release, like, parole hearing - picking up possessions - walking out of prison, etc. Instead we get Deborah's voiceover while he looks at a postcard she sent him with a vintage car on it & then a transition to her by the exact same vintage car. At the same time that's sort of the same shorthand used for Baby getting the pizza job so it isn't like it's out of the movie's visual language. But also they look identical age-wise despite the time difference, it's an expensive car & she's wearing the same retro outfit as in the other fantasy (and I think Baby is too? But I can't remember for certain), it seems odd she would be able to do all that & also match all that (but at the same time 5 years has passed so it's not completely implausible and she was the one who sent the postcard).
But I think I was wrong to say it's a fantasy, because it seems more like it's intentionally ambiguous/enough there for either reading to be plausible.

I'm sure he's not wearing the same outfit. In the first fantasy he's got a jacket on that kinda looks like a letterman jacket but isn't. When he leaves the prison he's wearing a white T-shirt.

The car's definitely the biggest clue for a fantasy sequence, but they could explain it either way if they want a sequel.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Need to watch this again, but wow. Saw someone saying you wouldn't know Edgar made this and I disagree. The laundromat scene, especially the earbud choreography, was quintessential Wright. Way more tense than usual, and the deaths, especially darlings and spaceys were impactful. If this doesn't win sound editing this winter, we riot.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure he's not wearing the same outfit. In the first fantasy he's got a jacket on that kinda looks like a letterman jacket but isn't. When he leaves the prison he's wearing a white T-shirt.

The car's definitely the biggest clue for a fantasy sequence, but they could explain it either way if they want a sequel.

She's not wearing the same outfit either. In the first one she's wearing retro clothes, in the second it's a simpler and more modern dress and a pair of boots she was wearing during several scenes in the movie before.

In the first one his hair looked combed back and gelled too and in the end one it was normal. Wasn't he wearing a striped black sweater thing in the first one? I remember short sleeves like a sweatervest over a shirt or a polo but I was more focused on the hair and how goofy the actor's face is.

I hope it wasn't a fantasy, I want him to have gotten his ending. :unsmith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

Losing the jacket that he wore while doing crimes is a symbol of him leaving that part of his life behind, like come on

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I thought this movie was just ok. All style, little substance, and even the driving scenes were a major let down after the opening scene. The movie was too long, but the ending still felt rushed and the payoff didn't feel rewarding. The most boring character became a groan inducing stereotypical horror movie villain and Kevin Spacey's character was wasted potential. Ansel Elgort was great, as was the music and sound editing of course. A disappointing 3/5 that felt like a short turned feature length without enough development.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Was pretty underwhelmed by this, unfortunately.

I thought the scenes with Amstel Eggbort dancing and lip syncing were kind of embarrassing. It reminded me of Spider Man 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Amstel Egg Bort is my favorite actor

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

frogbs posted:

Was pretty underwhelmed by this, unfortunately.

I thought the scenes with Amstel Eggbort dancing and lip syncing were kind of embarrassing. It reminded me of Spider Man 3.

You're not alone in that. I liked it at first, he was a quirky and interesting character that gave no fucks what others thought of him and the whole earbuds thing was intriguing only for all of that to just evaporate 2/3s through the movie when he trasforms into a generic protagonist. Then it comes back and were supposed to feel empathetic when he "goes deaf" but that doesn't even last 5 minutes of screen time.

Just no payoff anywhere.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just saw this and loved it. Was I the only one a little disappointed that Buddy and Baby didn't have a crazy chase through the city? Especially since Buddy specifically referenced having been a wheel man.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

10 Beers posted:

Just saw this and loved it. Was I the only one a little disappointed that Buddy and Baby didn't have a crazy chase through the city? Especially since Buddy specifically referenced having been a wheel man.

I hoped for that too, like the chase in Point Break where they're crashing through stuff.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It felt like it was one chase short.

Then again, maybe Wright was trying to show just how hard getaways are. Baby kept on getting new cars, but he couldn't get enough distance.

More than likely they ran out of money since the director had to finance the foot chase himself. 30 million only buys you so much when Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, and John Hamm are on the payroll.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Caught this last night, and I loved it. Best action film I've seen since John Wick, goddamn.

After the screening, Edgar Wright and Ansel Elgort came out and did a Q&A hosted by Peter Jackson. There wasn't much that came out that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, but Edgar did mention that he gave the actors little notes about bits of characterisation to help inform their performances.

One of Doc's things was that the crime was just a side gig for him now - he used to do it full time, but now he has other business. That's why he never takes off his coat, because he's not staying around any longer than he has to.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Is Armstel Eggbert the new Bendydick Chamberpot?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Armstreet Elgar

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

His name. It's not a normal, sounding name. It sounds weird

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
His siblings both have normal names so he was clearly intended as the dump child. He was not supposed to become famous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

Caught this last night, and I loved it. Best action film I've seen since John Wick, goddamn.

After the screening, Edgar Wright and Ansel Elgort came out and did a Q&A hosted by Peter Jackson. There wasn't much that came out that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, but Edgar did mention that he gave the actors little notes about bits of characterisation to help inform their performances.

One of Doc's things was that the crime was just a side gig for him now - he used to do it full time, but now he has other business. That's why he never takes off his coat, because he's not staying around any longer than he has to.

That's more info than the movie gives you about doc. Did the characterizations go beyond 1 dimensional?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 9, 2017

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I enjoyed the movie a lot but I will say that it struck me as weird how Doc is meant to be the very smart criminal but then hired a group of people who were like guaranteed to gently caress the job up through bickering

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My son is also named Eggbort

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

I enjoyed the movie a lot but I will say that it struck me as weird how Doc is meant to be the very smart criminal but then hired a group of people who were like guaranteed to gently caress the job up through bickering

It didn't help that Buddy was killing off qualified crew members for stupid reasons.

It felt like maybe they had a really good rotating crew and things went downhill with Nose and Hat. I don't think anyone had died on Baby's missions prior to that and then they had two heists in a row with deaths.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I mean you're dealing with career criminals, you're going to get a mixed bag no matter what

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Spergatory posted:

His siblings both have normal names so he was clearly intended as the dump child. He was not supposed to become famous.

I mean, it's not as if the name "Ansel" on it's own is completely unbelievable. Ansel Adams (i assume is who he's named after) is a name that people don't scoff at, but if you're naming a kid you have to look at how the name plays as a whole. If you have a last name like Elgort maybe the slightly flashier names will make him sound goofy.

Then again, sometimes you get a last name like Cumberbatch and there's no helping it sounding like a parody of a British name. That's when you lean into it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

It didn't help that Buddy was killing off qualified crew members for stupid reasons.

It felt like maybe they had a really good rotating crew and things went downhill with Nose and Hat. I don't think anyone had died on Baby's missions prior to that and then they had two heists in a row with deaths.

I assume you mean Bats and not Buddy. Bats is pretty much a case study in how one rear end in a top hat can wreck an entire operation.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And bats was never wrong either! The heist failed because baby wanted it to fail :getin:

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Spergatory posted:

I assume you mean Bats and not Buddy. Bats is pretty much a case study in how one rear end in a top hat can wreck an entire operation.

Buddy was also killing off members for stupid reasons. He killed that jerk from the beginning, and was going to kill off Bats since his wife told him to.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Izzhov posted:

Buddy was also killing off members for stupid reasons. He killed that jerk from the beginning, and was going to kill off Bats since his wife told him to.

at least he was smart enough to wait until after the heists themselves.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It's strange how blatantly Oedipal this movie is. In Baby Driver, the main character, goes by the name Baby thus attaching him to his status as a child throughout the film. His mother is idolised in rose-tinted memories and his key connection to her, such that he is willing to risk his life for it, is a gold-coloured tape of her singing. His object of desire, Debora, looks like his mother (note; not a case of goon face-blindness, Lily James and Sky Ferreira look quite different, but in silhouette, style, and filmic archetype, they fulfil a similar role) and have worked at the same diner that Baby is always going to.

His father is already dead, but Baby impliedly blames him for his tinnitus and mother's death and doesn't miss him at all (he only mentions missing his mother, his father was abusive to her, and was driving when the accident happened). Baby then becomes the most skilled driver at the business, thus attaining competence and mastery at the very thing that caused his father's demise, replacing him. Baby is able to escape his resentment of violent older male figures and paternal role models by killing two of them, Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm, and leaving his two most explicit father figures, Kevin Spacey and his foster father. When he achieves his dream of being "out on the open road" with Debra, this is when he is simultaneously reunited with his mother, hearing Ferreira/his mother's take on 'Easy' while his dream is brought true.

Of course, though, this escape can't be maintained for Baby to truly achieve his fantasy. In being arrested and atoning for his sins, Baby is wrenched away from his new mother/girlfriend Debra and becomes unable to see her in person. Her letters to him replace the objectified "Mom" tape with a new one (Debra's letters) and his rose-tinted nostalgic memories of his mother are instead replaced with the 50s-style fantasies of leaving and escaping with Debra again, the anachronistic elements, despite looking in the future, an acknowledgement that his dream is still rooted in the past return to be with his mother.

But, of course, Baby doesn't actually just want to become reunited with his mother, or be with Debra in place of her. He wants to go from "Baby" to becoming a man, which he does by the end of the movie, having excised the older male figures from his life, returning to his real name (Miles) and having Debra replaced his mother as the woman he fantasises about and longs to be with (i.e. to be merely with her again would fail to replace her entirely - she must become the woman he dreams of being with again).

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 10, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Izzhov posted:

It's just like Bats said. He and Buddy are just like each other. Buddy just tried to keep it under a veneer of respectability, while Bats did what he wanted when he wanted.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's strange how blatantly Oedipal this movie is. In Baby Driver, the main character, goes by the name Baby thus attaching him to his status as a child throughout the film. His mother is idolised in rose-tinted memories and his key connection to her, such that he is willing to risk his life for it, is a gold-coloured tape of her singing. His object of desire, Debora, looks like his mother (note; not a case of goon face-blindness, Lily James and Sky Ferreira look quite different, but in silhouette, style, and filmic archetype, they fulfil a similar role) and have worked at the same diner that Baby is always going to.

His father is already dead, but Baby impliedly blames him for his tinnitus and mother's death and doesn't miss him at all (he only mentions missing his mother, his father was abusive to her, and was driving when the accident happened). Baby then becomes the most skilled driver at the business, thus attaining competence and mastery at the very thing that caused his father's demise, replacing him. Baby is able to escape his resentment of violent older male figures and paternal role models by killing two of them, Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm, and leaving his two most explicit father figures, Kevin Spacey and his foster father. When he achieves his dream of being "out on the open road" with Debra, this is when he is simultaneously reunited with his mother, hearing Ferreira/his mother's take on 'Easy' while his dream is brought true.

Of course, though, this escape can't be maintained for Baby to truly achieve his fantasy. In being arrested and atoning for his sins, Baby is wrenched away from his new mother/girlfriend Debra and becomes unable to see her in person. Her letters to him replace the objectified "Mom" tape with a new one (Debra's letters) and his rose-tinted nostalgic memories of his mother are instead replaced with the 50s-style fantasies of leaving and escaping with Debra again, the anachronistic elements, despite looking in the future, an acknowledgement that his dream is still rooted in the past return to be with his mother.

But, of course, Baby doesn't actually just want to become reunited with his mother, or be with Debra in place of her. He wants to go from "Baby" to becoming a man, which he does by the end of the movie, having excised the older male figures from his life, returning to his real name (Miles) and having Debra replaced his mother as the woman he fantasises about and longs to be with (i.e. to be merely with her again would fail to replace her entirely - she must become the woman he dreams of being with again).

I'm with you, but wasn't she driving?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't remember who was driving but Baby falling in love with his own mother was definitely something both I and my partner picked up on watching the movie.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

I'm with you, but wasn't she driving?

I'll concede I might have gotten that point wrong. I'm Australian so the steering wheel is on the opposite side so my brain might have processed it the wrong way in terms of who was sitting where and it's a pretty quick scene that I'd have to rewatch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, she's driving. But I think you're on to something. Baby and Debra never have sex and his relationship with her seems idolized and superficial on the surface. He wants someone to replace that void his mother left and she wants a boyfriend, but they never got far enough for that to become a problem.

So she waited 5 years for him and now they're going to have a lovely dysfunctional relationship.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Need to watch this again, but wow. Saw someone saying you wouldn't know Edgar made this and I disagree. The laundromat scene, especially the earbud choreography, was quintessential Wright. Way more tense than usual, and the deaths, especially darlings and spaceys were impactful. If this doesn't win sound editing this winter, we riot.

Yeah I agree with this. It felt a lot like a spiritual successor to Scott Pilgrim for me. I had a 5 hour roadtrip today and put the soundtrack on and it was so good. I really want to rewatch this.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Looks like Baby Driver had a really good second week, dropping about 38% to take in another 13 mil. Looks like word of mouth will give this film legs for a good amount of time, particularly Planet of the Apes is the only blockbuster out next weekend of note in the states.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Chieves posted:

Looks like Baby Driver had a really good second week, dropping about 38% to take in another 13 mil. Looks like word of mouth will give this film legs for a good amount of time, particularly Planet of the Apes is the only blockbuster out next weekend of note in the states.

Spiderman might make it struggle, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Fate is funnier, has more fleshed out characters, has a better love story (!) and a more coherent plot (!!), and, most importantly, actually depicts car stunts.

Yeah, I was surprised how lifeless the end to this stunt is even in the final movie, where they have to hide that his momentum completely dies:

http://i.imgur.com/G6k4U9Q.gifv

There's definitely things I liked about the movie, particularly what funny parts there were, but I was surprised how little I enjoyed this as a car movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Spiderman might make it struggle, though.

Spider-Man was out this weekend though. Baby Driver is actually great counter programming for Spider-Man, since it gets all the grown-ups who think they're too old for Spider-Man (or the people who are stuck at the theater while their friends and family are watching Spider-Man again).

• Locked thread